PDA

View Full Version : plunge!

reorith
2010-01-29, 11:28 PM
tomorrow, i will be participating in the MSP polar bear plunge. they're calling for snow, the air temperature is a delightful -7°C and in a handful of hours, i'm going to jump into the chesepeake bay!

does anyone else participate in plunges/ice swims/recreational hypothermia?

Felixaar
2010-01-29, 11:36 PM
:smallconfused: Is there, like, a reason over than "for kicks"? I mean, this sounds cool and all, but an organised event seems a little much if it's ostensibly purposeless.

Also, good luck.

Coidzor
2010-01-29, 11:57 PM
Some people are just hotblooded enough that they need the chill every now and then. :smallwink:

Pika...
2010-01-29, 11:59 PM
I would love to.

I got enough blubber to survive I figure. :smallamused:

reorith
2010-01-29, 11:59 PM
the event raises funds for the maryland special olympics.

Coidzor
2010-01-30, 01:21 AM
Sweet. I've wanted to try it out myself, just to find out what it's like. Never had a real opportunity to though.

Felixaar
2010-01-30, 01:22 AM

Ah, I figured it would be something like that. How many of the participants wind up in both? After the frostbite, I mean?

Ha, I kid. Helm's alee, then!

reorith
2010-01-30, 11:00 AM
Ah, I figured it would be something like that. How many of the participants wind up in both? After the frostbite, I mean?

Ha, I kid. Helm's alee, then!

At first I thought that was in poor taste, but then I saw what you did here.

I plunge in 110 minutes!

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-02, 03:38 AM
Oh, man. That was a terrible day to be out and about too. Were you a Super Plunger or did you just go in once? Is this your first time doing it? Were you egged on by 98 Rock? Inquiring minds want to know! :smallcool:

rakkoon
2010-02-02, 03:58 AM
tomorrow, i will be participating in the MSP polar bear plunge. they're calling for snow, the air temperature is a delightful -7°C
You are beyond any shadow of a doubt a complete and utter

HERO !

reorith
2010-02-02, 05:41 PM
Oh, man. That was a terrible day to be out and about too. Were you a Super Plunger or did you just go in once? Is this your first time doing it? Were you egged on by 98 Rock? Inquiring minds want to know! :smallcool:

this was my second time plunging, i only plunged once this weekend at the 1pm plunge. i participated with team krav maga maryland and raised $387 around 5am on the 30th, i went knees deep in to the middle patuxent to sort of get a preview. have you participated in years past? what can i do to convince you to join me next year?

SDF
2010-02-02, 05:57 PM
I've gone polar bearing before here in Idaho. In northern Minnesota we never did because;

A) It wouldn't really be novel there
2) Most bodies of water were completely frozen over in winter
and D) If you found a running body of water you would probably die from being in for even a few seconds.

Firestar27
2010-02-02, 09:41 PM
this was my second time plunging, i only plunged once this weekend at the 1pm plunge. i participated with team krav maga maryland and raised $387 around 5am on the 30th, i went knees deep in to the middle patuxent to sort of get a preview. have you participated in years past? what can i do to convince you to join me next year?

Did you know that Krav Maga is the name of the Israeli Defense Force's martial art style? It was developed as self-defense in Israel before it was a state. Now, it's known as being particularly bad to be on the receiving end of someone using Krav Maga. Ouch.
Why was your team called that? XD

And how do you determine how much money is raised? Sponsored by the minute in the water?

Jack Squat
2010-02-02, 09:55 PM
Did you know that Krav Maga is the name of the Israeli Defense Force's martial art style? It was developed as self-defense in Israel before it was a state. Now, it's known as being particularly bad to be on the receiving end of someone using Krav Maga. Ouch.

And how do you determine how much money is raised? Sponsored by the minute in the water?

I'd guess that his team was named such because they're from a local Krav organization (Do they still call them dojos?)

Eon
2010-02-02, 10:27 PM
one of the Boy Scout camps that many in Minnesota is called Manypoint. Every week (it's a week long camp that goes for a month or two) they have a Polar Bear where they tell a story at 6 or 7 am and every time they get to the line "Polar Bear" everyone yell/screams "Polar Bear!!!" and run into the water and go underwater. This happens a few times. For the people not eager to try it, congratulations, you just got woken up an hour early.

reorith
2010-02-02, 11:48 PM

Jack called it.

sponsorship was done by flat donations.

Groundhog
2010-02-03, 09:49 PM
Oh lord, that was all over the TV the week before. Especially because temperatures were supposed to drop that weekend.

I commend you for doing that, especially considering the weather. I hope people gave a lot of money for that!

THAC0
2010-02-03, 10:08 PM
I've thought about doing one! Up here. In Alaska. I must be nuts!

Rattine
2010-02-03, 10:25 PM
I heard on the radio this morning something about that. We're doing that here, too, to raise money for the special olympics. I'd participate, but I have like no meat on my bones, so I'd prolly freeze like a popsicle! >.<

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-04, 01:17 AM
this was my second time plunging, i only plunged once this weekend at the 1pm plunge. i participated with team krav maga maryland and raised $387 around 5am on the 30th, i went knees deep in to the middle patuxent to sort of get a preview. have you participated in years past? what can i do to convince you to join me next year?I've not ever done this, no. I have a hard time imagining myself doing it, but I won't say it's something I'd never do. Hit me up next year and we'll see how I feel about it then. :smallcool:

*In fact, there are plenty of people who live in the region on these boards. It might be worth starting a thread next year to see if you can garner more interest. Just a thought.