PDA

View Full Version : Worldbuilding advice

Heliomance
2010-01-30, 07:30 AM
Considering making a world in which I can try my hand at DMing, having had some ideas. Somewhat heavily ripped off from inspired by the Dresden Files series, I was thinking of using the D&D system in a more WoD style world - it's the modern world, the supernatural exists, mortals don't know about it. PCs would be the ones that do know it exists - either because they're supernatural themselves, or because they've been caught up in it and have become Those Who Fight Monsters. The supernatural isn't all inimical to mortals, like it is in WoD, but it is powerful and dangerous. Wizards - though I'll probably restrict arcane casters to sorcerors - generally behave themselves and don't prey on mortals, because those who do get hunted down by other wizards.

So, what pitfalls, traps and other things do I need to watch out for? And what average level should I run, if I ever get this off the ground. Any other advice?

Beelzebub1111
2010-01-30, 07:38 AM
I tried something like this once, and it didn't work out well. Don't forget to make the normals still dangerous.

Heliomance
2010-01-30, 07:43 AM
Oh, the mortals are dangerous. The reason? There's a heck of a lot more of them. One of the many things I'm planning to steal from the Dresden Files is the general attitude of the supernatural world to humans - calling in mortal authorities into a supernatural issue is the equivalent of firing a nuke. You just don't do it.

Of course, some people make friends with the mortals and ignore this rule gleefully. They tend not to be very popular among their peers.

bosssmiley
2010-01-30, 10:04 AM
What was that d20 Modern setting that was basically a Buffy/Dresden Files rip-off? "Shadow Hunters" or something? Take pointers from there and Delta Green (X-Files Cthulhu) and you're good to go.