PDA

View Full Version : blink dog mount questions

Soranar
2010-01-30, 11:59 AM
Alright, a couple of questions regarding the blink dog.

First this assumes a player playing a small race (say halfling) ranger , druid or Paladin (for the animal companion/mount ability)

Now a if I'm riding a blink dog, do I get to teleport with it? Which would mean riding a blinkdog=pounce and automatic flanking.

Since a blink dog has 10 Int, can I give it class levels instead? I think an unarmed swordsage build would fit best. Or is that too ridiculous to allow in your opinion?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-30, 12:15 PM
You cannot normally get a Blink Dog as your animal companion because it is not an animal, it's a magical beast. A Paladin cannot get a Blink Dog as his special mount, since he is restricted to a set list which again only includes animals. You could take the feat Exalted Companion from BoED to get a Blink Dog as an animal companion, but that class feature can only grant it additional racial HD and never class levels.

A Blink Dog's Dimension Door ability specifically says that it only affects the blink dog, so it would just teleport out from under a rider. Its Blink ability mimics the spell of the same name, which can only affect the caster and not a second creature such as a rider. Neither of these abilities would be useful to a character using it as a mount.

Gorbash
2010-01-30, 12:15 PM
Now a if I'm riding a blink dog, do I get to teleport with it?

No. Why would you?

Since a blink dog has 10 Int, can I give it class levels instead?

Once again, no, where do you get these ideas?

Soranar
2010-01-30, 12:17 PM
Once again, no, where do you get these ideas?

that was mentioned in a brilliant gameologist optimization board, and I just thought it was silly so I figured I'd ask here

Skaven
2010-01-30, 12:17 PM
Since a blink dog has 10 Int, can I give it class levels instead?

Only if that's your PC.

GolemsVoice
2010-01-30, 12:19 PM
I think a DM could decide to give the dog class levels, for whatever insane reason they might have. With intelligence 10, he's actually pretty smart. But I don't think you can "train" him to have class levels.

deuxhero
2010-01-30, 12:34 PM
Exalted animal companion let's you get a Blink Dog AC IIRC, but that means dealing with the book of not poison.

Darrin
2010-01-30, 02:01 PM
The Arms & Equipment Guide mentions using Blink Dogs as mounts. It says occaisonally, a halfling paladin may get rewarded with one as a mount. It also says if the rider is wearing a ring of blinking, the blink dog will be able to synchronize the phasing, allowing both the dog and rider to blink at the same time.

A ring of blinking is pretty darned expensive, though. A 17th level Totemist (or 15th level Ironsoul Forgemaster) can bind Blink Shirt to his heart chakra and get blink as a SLA with unlimited uses.

The DMG lists blink dog as a 6th level cohort, so you could pick one up easily enough with Leadership.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-01-30, 04:31 PM
Exactly what darrin said. You would need a ring of blnking to teleport with it.

You would need exalted companion or leadership, or if your a paladin, a really nice GM and maybe a side quest to get one.

Barbarian MD
2010-01-30, 04:57 PM
Read this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6018203&postcount=5) It's EXACTLY what you're looking for.