PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Arrow of Deeper Darkness

drevil
2010-01-30, 12:24 PM
Simple Guide to Whoop Scent-less Enemies?

1. Cast Deeper Darkness on the arrow-tail.
2. Conceal the tail with some light-proof container / tape.
3. Fire the arrow.
4. When the arrow hits/fires (abrupt acceleration), the somewhat fragile container is crushed.
5. The enemy experience Deeper Darkness, and is in serious trouble unless he have scent.

Is this possible?
Last night, I had a wet dream about this trick.
It came to me in my sleep. And then, I came in my sleep.
Do you have a better method to pull this?

:smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2010-01-30, 12:59 PM
It makes sense for a 'reality' based on D&D,so some DM's might allow it, but I am pretty sure arrows get automatically destroyed RAW when they hit a target. No more arrow, no more greater darkness.
And um. .go clean your sheets.

dsmiles
2010-01-30, 01:27 PM
I think it would work better on the arrowhead. It gets stuck in them, and they think they got blinded...:smallbiggrin:

Sliver
2010-01-30, 01:28 PM
The real question is, can you stick something to the insides of your mouth so every time you talk, darkness pours out?

But more related.. Arrows get destroyed, so it depends on if the DM rules that they are still legit for the darkness and stick.. Also, it depends on the fluff aspect, as an arrow doing minor damage to the target (even max arrow damage to something with a lot of HP can be really minor) it may be described as the arrow only making a small cut as it flies past the target as it dodges out of real harm.. Then the Dm will need to say where the arrow hits to decide where the darkness is (if he allows it in the first place, that is) and so it is probably more of a headache and might be a case of "nice, I will allow it once for clever thinking but then it is banned.."

dsmiles - if it gets stuck with them, it has no LoE to outside of them and maybe some part of their insides is darker now, but does nothing unless the arrow goes halfway out and the arrow head sticks out.

dsmiles
2010-01-30, 01:32 PM
The real question is, can you stick something to the insides of your mouth so every time you talk, darkness pours out?

But more related.. Arrows get destroyed, so it depends on if the DM rules that they are still legit for the darkness and stick.. Also, it depends on the fluff aspect, as an arrow doing minor damage to the target (even max arrow damage to something with a lot of HP can be really minor) it may be described as the arrow only making a small cut as it flies past the target as it dodges out of real harm.. Then the Dm will need to say where the arrow hits to decide where the darkness is (if he allows it in the first place, that is) and so it is probably more of a headache and might be a case of "nice, I will allow it once for clever thinking but then it is banned.."

I still believe in 1e spells, where you can cast darkness on somebody (or light on somebody's eyes) as a blinding tactic.
:smallwink:

Corbeau
2010-01-30, 01:46 PM
You could use the rules for potions and/or splash weapons. That'd make it a little more legit.

drevil
2010-01-30, 02:39 PM
Potions would make it more legit, indeed.
What splash weapons are there?

The idea with darkness attached to an arrow, and activated by the acceleration/decceleration when the arrow is fired/hits, would be awesome.
Because the arrow is stuck to the enemy, meaning the Deeper Darkness follows him.
Meaning I win :)

What if I cast Deeper Darkness on a thin wire, showe it inside the arrow.
When arrow hits, its by RAW destroyed. Viola, Darkness.

Sliver
2010-01-30, 02:42 PM
Or you could just use glue on sling bullets with darkness on them.. Just cover the bullets with something that will come off in flight.

drevil
2010-01-30, 03:04 PM
Sling bullet is to heavy for the arrow.
And the arrow needs to be aerodynamic.
Else it will change direction.

Other suggestions?

Sliver
2010-01-30, 03:19 PM
Not glue a bullet to an arrow.. Put glue on a bullet and sling it!

Drakevarg
2010-01-30, 03:23 PM
Not glue a bullet to an arrow.. Put glue on a bullet and sling it!

...it'd just stick to your sling...

drevil
2010-01-30, 03:27 PM
Ah... I see.

Is there a mention about glue in the PHB?
In case my DM behave like Sean Connery (constant whining about everything).

drevil
2010-01-30, 05:38 PM
Where does it say that aroows are destroyed when they hit the target.
I have read it somewhere. Dont remember where.

Anybody got better Deeper Darkness + arrow ideas?

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-30, 05:47 PM
Use an ice hucker with a rock frozen into the icicle. cast DD on that.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-30, 09:13 PM
Where does it say that aroows are destroyed when they hit the target.
I have read it somewhere. Dont remember where.

Anybody got better Deeper Darkness + arrow ideas?
In the SRD under Ammunition. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#ammunition)
Sorry, I agree it's a cool idea.

Eloel
2010-01-31, 12:26 AM
Try being an Arcane Archer, this is their whole shtick.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-31, 07:57 AM
Ammunition (arrows, sling bullets) get destroyed when it hits the target, and 50% of the time when it doesn't. But Deeper Darkness can be cast on any object. So get a tiny bit of pitch (pine tree resin is good) and a bit of gauze. Use the pitch to attach the gauze to the arrow shaft, then cast Deeper Darkness on the gauze. On impact the arrow is destroyed, and a tiny bit of sticky gauze is left to support the spell.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-31, 09:38 AM
Eh. . .I would sooner allow just simply casting deeper darkness on the arrow and letting it not be out right destroyed when it hits the target. That gauze suggestion, Curmudgeon, sounds too much like taking advantage of the rules granularity, which is, to me, the worst kind of cheese.

Dimers
2010-02-01, 12:09 PM
They don't have nearly as much range, but thrown weapons aren't destroyed by use ... cast the spell on a javelin, maybe.

ericgrau
2010-02-01, 12:12 PM
Does deeper darkness silence the target? If not this technique isn't terribly impressive compared to other blindness and invisibility techniques, except perhaps that there's no save so you hit more creatures. And then a DC 20 listen is a much more effective counter than scent.