PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Spells From a PrC (PEACH)

DracoDei
2010-01-30, 02:14 PM
My entry in the current PrC creation contest is... detailed. Actually, let me rephrase that for emphasis... it has so much backstory, extra goodies (feats, new spells, alternate class feature equivalents) that it goes over the 50,000 character limit on individual posts.

So that they don't get lost to the Playground in all that, I though I would present the new spells I created here and see what people thought of them balance wise (but with the caster levels tweaked so that ordinary Wizards, Sorcerers, and Clerics can cast them).

Cherry Blossom
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S

This spell functions like Chain Lightning, except as noted above and that the damage is untyped, rather than electricity.

Refresh (Named changed from the original so as to protect the guilty)
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Wiz/Sor 8, Clr 8
Range: Touch
This spell functions like Mage's Lucubration, except as noted above and that it allows a spontaneous and/or divine caster to return a spell slot of the appropriate level to availability/preparedness (but ONLY one such spell slot per casting of Refresh) also and cures 10 hit points of damage per level of the caster, to a maximum of 200 points at 20th level.

Lesser Spell Turning
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Self
Duration: 1 minute/level
As Spell Turning, but only turns 1d3+4 levels and if they are attacked with a spell by a caster who also has a Spell Turning or Lesser Spell Turning active then the result is always that the attackers Spell Turning is reduced by the level of the attack spell and the attack spell ignores the defendersr Lesser Spell Turning. This means that their Lesser Spell Turning remains in full force.

Lesser Stone to Flesh
Transmutation
Level: Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4
As Stone to Flesh, but only effective if the target was turned to stone not more than 1 round per caster level before this spell is cast and that no Fortitude save to survive returning to flesh form is required.

Luna's Call
Enchantment
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Drd 3
Targets: All creatures in range
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving throw: Will Negates
As per Rage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rage.htm) except as above and that targets need not be willing.

Lancer's Power
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
As per Enervation but subject only loses one level and it can effect even undead. Caster is healed for as may hit points as the subject would gain from gaining an additional hit-die, and the subject loses that many. If the target loses any spell casting ability then the caster may regain the ability to cast a spell of any level lower than the spell that they lost.

Please don't look at this last one until you have read (and preferable critiqued), everything else.

Phoenix Down
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 6, Drd 6
Components: V, S, M, DF, XP
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One Creature Touched
Duration: Instantaneous

The caster restores to life a deceased creature. The caster can raise creatures who have been dead up to one round per 4 caster levels. In addition the subject’s soul must be free and willing to return (see Bringing Back the Dead, page ??? of the PHB). If the subjects soul is not willing to return the spell does not work; therefore, subjects who want to return receive no saving throw. The subject loses NO levels or constitution.
Phoenix Down cures hit point sufficient to raise the creature total hit-point to a total of 1 hit point per 2 caster levels but not to more that one tenth of the creature’s maximum nor more than 1 hit point per creature’s hit die. Any ability scores damaged or drained to 0 are raised to 1. Normal Poison and normal disease are cured in the process of raising the subject, but magical diseases and curses are not undone. While the spell closes mortal wounds and repairs lethal damage of most kinds, the body of the creature to be raised must be whole. Otherwise, missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life. None of the dead creature’s equipment or possessions are affected in any way by this spell.
A creature who has been turned into an undead creature can’t be raised by this spell, but one who has been slain by a death effect can. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be raised. This spell cannot bring back a creature who has died of old age. A character who died with spells prepared has a 50% chance of losing any given spell upon being raised, in addition to losing spells for losing a level. A spellcasting creature that doesn’t prepare spells (such as a sorcerer) has a 50% chance of losing any given unused spell slot as if it had been used to cast a spell, in addition to losing spell slots for losing a level. If Phoenix Down is cast within 1 round of the creature’s death these chances drop to 25%.

Material Component: One or more diamonds worth at least 500 gp total, and a feather (even a pinfeather) from a Phoenix.

XP Cost: 100 XP.

Lysander
2010-01-30, 05:31 PM
Cool spells. What does Cherry Blossom look like? A wave of deadly petals?

Phoenix Down seems a bit cheap to cast. It should have a higher gp cost. Great mid-battle spell, especially for FF fans.

DracoDei
2010-01-30, 06:16 PM
Cool spells. What does Cherry Blossom look like? A wave of deadly petals?
You know... I really should load up my copy of the game and see... I hope Freya has it in my save file...

Phoenix Down seems a bit cheap to cast. It should have a higher gp cost. Great mid-battle spell, especially for FF fans.
Ok made it 2,500, rather than 500, will that be enough? Initially I was basing it on a Druid spell in "Masters of the Wild" called "Last Breath" that didn't even have a material component as I recall...

JoshuaZ
2010-01-30, 06:39 PM
Regarding Refresh- can it apply to both arcane and divine casters? That should be stated if so. Also, can it be used if one has both spontaneous and prepared casting (say an ultimate magus) to refresh one of each? If not, should be explicit.

Milskidasith
2010-01-30, 07:03 PM
Phoenix Down is strictly worse than Psionic Revivify (and, I believe, the actual spell Revivify, but I can't remember where it is.)

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Psionic_Revivify

The only difference is that Phoenix Down, for a spell slot two levels higher and more EXP, lets you bring the target back slightly above negative, instead of at -1, but that's really only the benefit of a first level spell added on, at best.

EDIT: Lesser Spell Turning should be 1d4+3, not 1d3+4, just to fit with Spell Turning's rolling scheme.

Lysander
2010-01-30, 07:56 PM
Ok made it 2,500, rather than 500, will that be enough? Initially I was basing it on a Druid spell in "Masters of the Wild" called "Last Breath" that didn't even have a material component as I recall...

Seems good. I just thought it needed a cost comparable to Raise Dead, but cheaper given its short window of use.

Latronis
2010-01-30, 07:59 PM
revivify is identical to psionic revivify. except it costs 1k worth of diamonds instead of an xp cost

DracoDei
2010-01-30, 09:24 PM
Milskidasith/Latronis: Well, then I guess I can just use Revivify on the Leap Dragoon spell list as a 4th level spell (like it is now) with the original material components (500 gp of diamonds and a pheonix feather, even a pin-feather) and XP cost? Ought to be about nice enough for one of the major perks of the classes spellcasting/item crafting abilities. Also: Are you sure Revivify doesn't result in level loss? I just want to be sure...

Regarding Refresh- can it apply to both arcane and divine casters? That should be stated if so. Also, can it be used if one has both spontaneous and prepared casting (say an ultimate magus) to refresh one of each? If not, should be explicit.
Does both arcane and divine casting, but only ONE type of casting (although I am seriously thinking of allowing the target to pick AT THE TIME OF USE (so not when an Elixer is made). Will start fixing this now, but I can't promise I will get it right the first time.

Latronis
2010-01-30, 09:37 PM
I just checked and it is in the spell compendium. Pretty much the same wording as the link to psionic revivify. No penalties, just brought back to -1hp and stable.

DracoDei
2010-01-30, 09:39 PM
Ok, well, in a fight, the difference between -1 and a few positive can be pretty big... perhaps enough to justify being a level higher... might even increase the amount of hp it gives just a tad...

Milskidasith
2010-01-30, 10:20 PM
Ok, well, in a fight, the difference between -1 and a few positive can be pretty big... perhaps enough to justify being a level higher... might even increase the amount of hp it gives just a tad...

The difference is one CLW (or whatever the weakest non cantrip one is) spell. That's really all there is to it. It might justify a level increase on the spell, but not three, because at the level you get it at 10 HP or so is going down in one shot on a minimized roll.

Also, lesser spell turning should be 1d4+3 as I said, because A: 1d3s don't exist and B: it winds up being the same rolling method as spell turning (1d4+X-1, where X is the spell level).

Fiery Diamond
2010-01-30, 10:28 PM
Also, lesser spell turning should be 1d4+3 as I said, because A: 1d3s don't exist...

Actually, this is not true. 1d3s do, in fact, exist. And I don't just mean in the rules. I mean in real life. Look it up on google images.

Milskidasith
2010-01-30, 11:34 PM
Actually, this is not true. 1d3s do, in fact, exist. And I don't just mean in the rules. I mean in real life. Look it up on google images.

Ok, yes, they exist. However, I've never seen one sold anywhere, even in hobby shops. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

It still doesn't change the fact it should be 1d4+3.

DracoDei
2010-01-31, 01:47 AM
The difference is one CLW (or whatever the weakest non cantrip one is) spell. That's really all there is to it. It might justify a level increase on the spell, but not three, because at the level you get it at 10 HP or so is going down in one shot on a minimized roll.
I believe I did, indeed, drop it down to one level above Revivify. If I had known about that spell, that is where I would have put Phoenix Down in the first place.

Sidenote for newbies to D&D reading along:
The basic slot is trivial, I am well aware of that. The standard action to cast it(and more importantly the full round that the [I]Revivify[/I-]ed person is helpless and immobile), or the additional 4 levels to quicken it... not so much. I guess you could have a metamagic rod...

Milskidasith
2010-01-31, 01:49 AM
I believe I did, indeed, drop it down to one level above Revivify. If I had known about that spell, that is where I would have put Phoenix Down in the first place.

Sidenote for newbies to D&D reading along:
The basic slot is trivial, I am well aware of that. The standard action to cast it(and more importantly the full round that the [I]Revivify[/I-]ed person is helpless and immobile), or the additional 4 levels to quicken it... not so much. I guess you could have a metamagic rod...

Yes, the standard action is nontrivial, but it's still quite possibly better than spending more gold and a higher level spell slot to fix things, because either way you're wasting your time to give your ally one shot back at life before he's dead again, or you're dropping a Heal spell on him so he doesn't get OHKO'd the next time a monster looks at him funny.

In reality, either way you need to cast the spell and then use a heal in order to keep your ally going for more than one round. Plus, you don't lose spells with revivify, and it cures all diseases.

Fizban
2010-01-31, 04:27 AM
The benefit I'd take from Pheonix Down is not having to get there in one round. Psionic Revivify lets you blow more xp to get extra rounds after death, but the non-psionic version doesn't have that. Having the remaining 3 characters finish the fight and then revivify is more effective than having 2 fight while one revivifies and the fourth just dies again, but normally you'd have to do something like use Revanence to revive them (which allows 1 round/level before use), and then revivify when they die at the end of Revanence. Rolling the extra limit into revivify and healing to positve hp is definitely worth an extra level.

DracoDei
2010-02-01, 04:22 PM
Made a slight tweak to Lesser Stone to Flesh to make it match the source material better... now it doesn't require a DC 15 Fortitude save to survive.