PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Concept Help

Drakevarg
2010-01-30, 02:26 PM
I'm working on a set of homebrew'd outsider races, intended to replace the standard Evil outsiders for my own campaign world. (Demons and Devils and what not simply don't mesh conceptually with the lore of this campaign.)

I intend to have five races, with ECLs 0, 5, 10, 15, and 20. I've currently made three, which can be seen in the [Frozen Immortals] link in my sig. Conceptually they're as thus:

Messengers- ECL 0, basically the worker ants of the Frozen Immortal society. If a campaign brought the PCs into this realm, the Messengers would be roughly on par with goblins and other minor mooks.

Soldiers- ECL 5, these are the Proud Warrior Race Guys. If the Frozen Realm ever mobilized an army, these would be the rank-and-file.

Brutes- ECL 10. Minotaurs, Ogres, Trolls, whatever. The big angry monster that busts in and starts breaking things. Tough customers, but not very bright.

That's what I've got. My problem right now is decided what to do with the last two spaces, ECLs 15 and 20. I'd kinda like them to follow archetypes, with the ECL 20s being most likely some sort of Balor/Pit Fiend amalgam. Only, y'know, icey instead of on fire.

My question to the playground is basically just "what would be some cool things to make as the highest-ranking outsiders in this campaign world?

(As a point of interest, the Frozen Immortal's opposites, the Burning Immortals, will be more or less identical in power and theme, only with fire.)

CTLC
2010-01-30, 02:31 PM
well, you have brutes, but i cant tell if that is the thicker part of the line, or the real rare shock troops, because if the former then the ECL 15s could be the work in pairs explode large amounts things, or artillery, and if the latter then the ECL15s could be just overly magic oriented. ECL20 has to simply be the guys that make you crap your pants.

Drakevarg
2010-01-30, 02:34 PM
well, you have brutes, but i cant tell if that is the thicker part of the line, or the real rare shock troops, because if the former then the ECL 15s could be the work in pairs explode large amounts things, or artillery, and if the latter then the ECL15s could be just overly magic oriented. ECL20 has to simply be the guys that make you crap your pants.

The brutes are like the trolls from LotC. There aren't many of them, but when they show up they're pretty much guarenteed to ruin your day.

And yes, I was thinking the ECL 15s should be natural spellcasters. Still kinda wondering how I'd go about that though. Probably make them get divine spell progression as a racial feature. Not a fan of spell-like abilities.

CTLC
2010-01-30, 02:40 PM
the ECL 15s could also work as either flyers or invisibles [both!], either way they just do ridiculous amounts of damage, also extraordinary abilities work.