PDA

View Full Version : Hammer [Cleric] Time

CTLC
2010-01-30, 03:03 PM
Well playground, i come to you again in a time of need.
I have a friend [guess i shouldve warned you to be sitting down eh?] who might be stopping by a meeting for our dnd group. he doesnt really play dnd much at all, but id love to get him interested in the game. He wants to play [and we badly need] a CLERIC [Hallelujah] with a focus on large weapons and large shields. go figure. Anywho i was wondering if there were any good builds for a cleric, maybe with monkey grip, who wields a large hammer, loves his AC, maybe a tower shield, but just the hammer works, can heal well enough, and especially can increase his size, and the size of his weapons. like durkon.
sorta. We are only at level 2, so this may not be possible at all, but we are allowed one flaw, we are using a standard 32 point buy, and thats aboot it.
hawlp?

Sanguine
2010-01-30, 03:06 PM
Goliath is a LA 1 race found in Races of Stone that along with a couple other nice things is treated as large whenever(and only) when it's beneficial.

retaliation08
2010-01-30, 03:07 PM
wand of enlarge person for size... unfortunately hes getting only 1 or 2 feats. he would have to pick up tower sheild profiecency somehow if he wanted to use those sheilds.... id go with a two handed power attacker and an animated shield later on, but im sure there are people here that know better than me :)

Adumbration
2010-01-30, 03:09 PM
Dwarf cleric of Kord with Strength domain would seem to fit the bill.

sofawall
2010-01-30, 03:25 PM
wand of enlarge person for size... unfortunately hes getting only 1 or 2 feats. he would have to pick up tower sheild profiecency somehow if he wanted to use those sheilds.... id go with a two handed power attacker and an animated shield later on, but im sure there are people here that know better than me :)

2-3, I think is the proper range?

Drakevarg
2010-01-30, 03:26 PM
Level 2 would only give you one feat, two if you were a human. Since he's a cleric, fighter bonus feats aren't even in the equation.

retaliation08
2010-01-30, 03:27 PM
yeah i didnt notice that he got a flaw. i never use them.

Eldariel
2010-01-30, 03:28 PM
Just go Heavy Shield + Warhammer Human or Dwarf (depending on personal preference and stats) with some buff spells and some such. Wis > Str > Con > Cha > Dex > Int.

You could, of course, give him base-level DMM as it isn't very powerful on those levels, but it may be a tad...complex for a new lad.

Drakevarg
2010-01-30, 03:29 PM
Tower Shield + Maul. As a cleric you'd need feats to be proficient in either, sadly.

CTLC
2010-01-30, 03:31 PM
i think hes gonna love the goliath race, which sadly only makes him lvl 1. butbutbut, i still think he will be good, is myth weavers down for anyone else or just me?

sofawall
2010-01-30, 03:38 PM
Level 2 would only give you one feat, two if you were a human. Since he's a cleric, fighter bonus feats aren't even in the equation.

Level 1 gives a feat, flaw gives a feat, human might give a featGoliath gives no feat. 2.

dspeyer
2010-01-30, 03:53 PM
Complete Divine lists the giant pantheon. I'd suggest Stronmaus, the giant god of weather (or is that the god of weather giants?). He's CG with warhammer as favored weapon. You could take the war and weather domains. Seems a good choice for a goliath.

CTLC
2010-01-30, 04:03 PM
i know war is amazing, but let me check on weather

Rixx
2010-01-30, 04:05 PM
Step 1: Cleric.

Step 2: Hammer.

Step 3: Shield.

What's so complicated about that?

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-30, 04:10 PM
Get a permanent illusion of a big ole hammer put on a glaive or something perhaps?

Soranar
2010-01-30, 04:45 PM
Cleric

I recommend a dwarven substitution cleric (level 4 substitution gives you +2 damage with warhammers and proficiency with them)

you also get d10 instead of d8 (all you lose is a level 2 spellslot)

for future reference take 2 levels in Hammer of Moradin to add your Wisdom bonus to damage too

Eldan
2010-01-30, 05:03 PM
There's the Hammer of Moradin. I don't remember which book it was in, but the WotC page had it as a preview on their site. It's a hammer focused dwarven battlecleric.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-30, 05:25 PM
If your friend wants yo be a cleric, then Hammer of Moradin is a trap. A very, very bad trap. 10 levels long and no spell progression means your not a cleric at that point, your an awfully built gish (a half caster/ half fighter).

Just take the war domain, or the Metal domain. Either one will get hammer proficiency. Get a wand of wallop (arcane spell so someone will have to cast it for him) and an oversized hammer. Later on get a an eternal wand of Mighty Wallop and a metamagic grip of extend.

As for a tower shield (or even a heavy shield), it will impede his casting to hold it AND a weapon, but a light shield (or a buckler) won't, so he may want to go that route to help keep things simple.

Just remember that having a cleric isn't a license to forgo your own safety. It's not fun to be cornered into playing a band aid, and that tends to happen to people playing a cleric often.

Soranar
2010-01-30, 06:48 PM
Who takes more than 2 levels of Hammer of Moradin?

KingoftheTrees
2010-02-03, 06:44 PM
I'm playing a cleric right now in our campaign, and I must say it's rather enjoyable. There's something to be said about a Neutral character risking his life to save me, not once but twice. ;) I'm a Cleric 6/Radiant Servant of Pelor 4. In the description of the RSoP it says you are "proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all armor, and with shields". I talked to my DM about the shields thing, since it doesn't say anything about "no tower shields", so now I can use them. I just got my tower shield enchanted with the Variable enchantment, which will let me make my +3 tower shield into a +3 buckler or heavy shield at will, which will come in handy for spellcasting, AND for what I want to do with ranged combat. I know this doesn't really help your level 2 cleric, but it's something to think about.

Also, depending on how much money you want to give him, he can get Strongarm Bracers (Magic Item Compendium pg 139) which would let him use a weapon of one size category larger with no penalty.

OR he could go about things a different way, with DMM Persisting Divine Power and Righteous Might at later levels.