PDA

View Full Version : Child of Sea and Sky [3.5 Binder/Druid PrC] (PEACH)

DragoonWraith
2010-01-30, 04:29 PM
Based somewhat on the Tenebrous Apostate. Let me know what you think!
Eurynome was a titan who tired of the war between the gods and titans, and created the sea and sky for herself to play in. Both Titans and Gods turned on her for this dalliance, and she was destroyed and cast aside as a Vestige. However, her body formed the first island, and her blood the first river, and so she is known to scholars as the Mother of the Material.

A Child of Sea and Sky is a Druid who reveres the land and the sea and the sky, and worships Eurynome as their mother. Such a Druid sees Eurynome as the true Mother Earth, rather than the typical deity in the pantheon of their setting, and seeks to reinstate her as such.

BECOMING A CHILD OF SEA AND SKY
A Child of Sea and Sky may describe themselves as a Druid, but the only way to be close enough to Eurynome to become a Petitioner is to have significant skills in Pact Magic, while it is primarily the Druid's connection to nature, rather than the specific skills of the Druid, that are necessary.

Prerequisites
Skills: Knowledge (Nature) 4 ranks, Handle Animal 4 ranks, Knowledge (The Planes) 8 ranks.
Special: Ability to bind Eurynome.
Special: Animal Companion class feature.
Special: Must worship Eurynome as a god.

Hit Die
d8.

Skills
Skill Points per Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Skills: The class skills of the Child of Sea and Sky (and the key ability modifier for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (History) (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

CHILD OF SEA AND SKY CLASS FEATURES
The following are all class features of the Child of Sea and Sky.
{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Soul Binding | Spellcasting
1st | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Eternal Child, Childhood Friend | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
2nd | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Tsunami Maul +5 | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
3rd | +2 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Zephyrous (+1 Dodge, +1 Saves, +10' Move) | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
4th | +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Wind Child | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
5th | +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Envenomed Blood | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
6th | +4 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Tsunami Maul +6 | - | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
7th | +5 | +5 | +2 | +5 | Zephyrous (+Cha Dodge, +Cha Saves, +30' Move) | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
8th | +6 | +6 | +2 | +6 | Child of the Deep | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
9th | +6 | +6 | +3 | +6 | Tsunami Maul +7 | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
10th | +7 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Zephyrous (+Cha Attack) | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
11th | +8 | +7 | +3 | +7 | Bloody Maul | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
12th | +9 | +8 | +4 | +8 | Tsunami Maul +8 | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class
13th | +9 | +8 | +4 | +8 | Mother's Child | +1 level of existing Pact Magic class | +1 level of existing Divine spellcasting class[/table]
Armor and Weapon Proficiencies: A Child of Sea and Sky does not gain any armor or weapon proficiencies.

Spellcasting: At each level, a Child of Sea and Sky gains new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable), as if she had gained a level in a Divine spellcasting class to which she had belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

If she had more than one Divine spellcasting class before becoming a Child of Sea and Sky, she must decide to which class she adds each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Because a Child of Sea and Sky gets her spells from her worship of Eurynome, and Eurynome is, among other things, a playful spirit, she appreciates those of strong charisma as well as those of strong wisdom. A Child of Sea and Sky may, at her option, use her Charisma modifier instead of the normal modifier for determining the highest level spell she may use, the DC of the saving throws against her spells, and the bonus spells that she receives.

Soul Binding: At each level except 6th, a Child of Sea and Sky's Soul Binding ability improves as if he had also gained a level in any Pact-using class to which she had belonged before becoming a Child of Sea and Sky. Her Child of Sea and Sky levels and levels in the chosen class stack for the purpose of determining her bonus on binding checks, the effectiveness of her Vestige-granted abilities, her ability to bind higher-level Vestiges, and the number of Vestiges she can bind. She does not, however, gain any other benefit that class would have gained.

If she had more than one Pact-using class before becoming a Child of Sea and Sky, she must decide to which class she adds each level for the purpose of determining her bonus on binding checks, the effectiveness of her Vestige-granted abilities, her ability to bind higher-level Vestiges, and the number of Vestiges she can bind.

Eternal Child: A Child of Sea and Sky no longer needs to bind Eurynome every day; she is bound to her constantly. She cannot choose to bind another Vestige in Eurynome's place. However, she may still attempt a binding check each day to negate her influence.

Childhood Friend: A Child of Sea and Sky may add her Effective Binder Level to her Druid levels for the purpose of determining the strength of her Animal Companion. This modified level, however, may not exceed her own Hit Dice. This level may also be used for determining her Wild Empathy bonus.

In addition, the Damage Reduction, Poison Blood, and Water Dancing abilities granted by Eurynome also extend to her Animal Companion.

Tsunami Maul: At 2nd level, a Child of Sea and Sky may enhance Eurynome's Maul as she would any other magic weapon. In order to do so, she must have the Maul, and she must either enhance the Maul herself or remain with the spellcaster who does the enhancing for the duration of the process; if she leaves for more than a single round, the Maul will disappear, undoing any of the work that has been done.

Eurynome's Maul originally counts as +1 warhammer for the sake of determining the cost of enhancements added to it. However, for the sake of determining how many enhancements may be added, it counts as a +3 Anarchic warhammer, meaning only another +2 enhancement bonus, and only a total of +5 worth of special abilities, may be added to it.

At 6th level, the Anarchic bonus of Eurynome's Maul counts as a +1 bonus, allowing up to +6 worth of special abilities to be added by the Child of Sea and Sky.

At 9th level, the Anarchic bonus of Eurynome's Maul does not count at all for determining the number of special abilities that may be added to the Maul, allowing up to +7 worth of special abilities.

By 12th level, the +3 enhancement bonus itself only costs +2 worth, so +8 worth of special abilities may be added to the Maul. This does not, however, allow the total enhancement bonus on the Maul to increase past +5, so the Child of Sea and Sky may only add another +2 as normal.

Zephyrous: At 3rd level, the Child of Sea and Sky becomes as light and quick as the gentle West wind. As a result of Eurynome's presence, she may move from blows more easily, gaining a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class, a +1 bonus to all saving throws, and a +10' bonus to her movement speed.

At 7th level, the bonus to her AC and her saving throws increases to be equal to her Charisma, and the movement speed bonus increases to +30'.

At 10th level, the Child of Sea and Sky adds her Charisma modifier to all attack rolls.

Wind Child: At 4th level, a Child of Sea and Sky and/or her Animal Companion may shapeshift into a flying creature. The Child of Sea and Sky and her Animal Companion may use this feature independently of each other, that is, one or both may use this form without any restrictions on what the other is doing.

This feature is identical to the Aerial Form of the Shapeshift Druid variant listed in the Player's Handbook II, except that the Child's Animal Companion does not gain the +2 bonus to Strength or to Reflex saves, and both the Child and Companion gain a Bite attack that does 1d6 damage instead of a Talon attack (if the Animal Companion already has a Bite attack, with greater damage than 1d6, the Animal Companion may keep their existing attack). While in this form, the Child's natural attack (but not her Companion's) is treated as if enhanced exactly as Eurynome's Maul is.

Further, the creature that one transforms into is like none ever before seen in the mortal world. For the Child, her arms and legs all turn to wings, and she grows a pair of long, thin tail feathers, while her neck becomes long and sinuous and her head small and with a sharp beak. Her body is covered in feathers.

For the animal companion, the process is similar - the creature in questions limbs become wings, though the exact body of the creature afterwards varies on the creature. Often it is more recognizable as its original form than the Child is.

Envenomed Blood: At 5th level, a Child of Sea and Sky's Poison Blood ability granted by Eurynome is no longer capped at 5d6.

Child of the Deep: At 8th level, a Child of Sea and Sky may take on the form of a horrible creature from the primordial days, which has long hidden at the bottom of the ocean. This is identical to the Forest Avenger form of the Shapeshift Druid, except that the Child's type changes to Aberration instead of Plant, and she gains a pair of Tentacle attacks instead of Slam attacks, and these attacks are treated as if enhanced exactly as Eurynome's Maul is. In addition, she gains a Swim speed equal to her Land speed, and can breathe water.

Her Animal Companion may take advantage of this form, but gains only the Swim speed and the ability to breathe water.

Bloody Maul: At 11th level, once per round the Child of Sea and Sky adds her Envenomed Blood damage to an attack with Eurynome's Maul.

Mother's Child: At 13th level, a Child of Sea and Sky may bring Eurynome herself into the world, albeit temporarily, through her own body. Having been so long a Vestige, Eurynome is not used to the world, and while she enjoys the opportunity to more fully experience reality, she leaves things mostly up to the Child; the Child may not resist Eurynome's influence, no matter her binding check that morning, but other than that Eurynome is content to just experience whatever the Child wishes to do. Being limited by the Child's body, she also is rather limited compared to her original Titanic form.

This form is identical to the Elemental Fury form of the Shapeshift Druid, except that Eurynome does not enjoy immunity to any energy type, and she wields her own Maul at a size category larger than she herself is, instead of taking natural attacks.

The Child's Animal Companion may not take advantage of this form.

JoshuaZ
2010-01-30, 08:09 PM
Full divine casting and only partial binding seems a bit strange to me given that binding is clearly the weaker of the two.

Moreover, Eurynome is a 4th level vestige. It looks like you need to be at least level 8 before you can qualify, so the first level would be at level 9. That means that at the end, you end up with lots of binding power and about 6th level spells. That means, that when you lose 2 levels of binding you don't get more than 6th level spells, and don't pick up 8th level vestiges until 20(19? not sure). This makes the class comparatively weak compared to either the straight druid or straight binder, although adding binder levels for purposes of the animal companion definitely helps.

I'd recommend full progression on the binder side rather than the losses at 1 and 6.

DragoonWraith
2010-01-30, 08:46 PM
Improved Binding means you can bind Eurynome at 5, and then Druid at 6 and take this at 7. Since you're already giving up 5 levels of Druid, I certainly did not want to lose any Druid spellcasting levels, and it seemed to me that losing a few Binder levels (3 total) was about par for the course. The bonuses you get are not exactly trivial. You gain 8th level Vestiges at 18 instead of 17 (15 with Improved Binding).

Hmm, though... I dunno. Maybe a single lost Binder level, at say 4th? Losing zero binding levels seems a little like a gimme, since you're taking one level of Druid for shapeshifting, an animal companion, and eleven levels of Druid spellcasting.

JoshuaZ
2010-01-31, 04:28 PM
Hmm, in that case making it just one loss of binder level would probably be ok.

DragoonWraith
2010-01-31, 07:51 PM
OK, I made the class 13 levels long just so you can get to level 20 without having to give up one of your progressions. I added a few more features; does the ability to over-enhance Eurynome's Maul unbalance things? I'm not particularly familiar with high level melee combat, so I don't know how significant that is.

DaTedinator
2010-02-06, 12:33 PM
I like it! Most everything about it seems solid and balanced, flavorful, and well implemented. I especially like the animal companion shapeshifting abilities. Making the ability names bold instead of italic would help readability, though, I think.

The one ability that I'm not a huge fan of is Tsunami Maul. It's balanced fine, and if you want to keep it as it is, that's cool. I just don't like class abilities that require you to expend gold or XP to take full advantage of them. I'd just give it improved bonuses rather than forcing her to enhance it herself.

Also, the table lists the capstone as Titan's Child, whereas the text says Mother's Child.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-06, 01:09 PM
Well, for Tsunami Maul - it was actually intended to remove the "I has a magic weapon" 'class feature' that this would otherwise have, by making Eurynome's Maul more like a normal weapon that you can do with as you like. I just worried if I went the Soulknife route on it (giving it extra free special abilities at certain levels), it would restrict people too much in what they could do with the Maul. But you have a very good point... hmm. I'll have to think about it.

Also, fixed the table to match the text, thanks.

I used italics because they're supposed to be "sub-headings" under the bold "Class Features" section. But I suppose I could "up" the Class Features heading so that I could use normal bold on the features themselves...