PDA

View Full Version : Suppress

Zom B
2010-01-30, 04:38 PM
I'm half leaning towards just making this a skill trick of spellcraft, but not sure what a good DC would be. All in all, I can't think of too many bad uses for this. I mean, I suppose you could polymorph yourself into something, and Suppress it, and then dismiss suppression at an opportune moment. That would be a standard action, same as casting the spell, though.

Anyways, wanted to see what you guys thought of this.

Suppress
Universal
Level: Bard 0, Cleric 0, Druid 0, Sorcerer/Wizard 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Until dismissed
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You suppress the effects of any number of spells that affect you, but only if those spells were cast by you. The durations of those spells continue as normal. The affected spells are still susceptible to being dispelled by a spell such as Disjunction, as are they to being detected by a spell like Detect Magic.

Jane_Smith
2010-01-30, 04:59 PM
Sounds more like a concentration check special use - a swift action each round to maintain the supression, a DC equal to 10 + the highest level spell you have on yourself.

Eurus
2010-01-30, 05:07 PM
What if you suppress suppression? Faster than dismissing it. :smallbiggrin:

Jane_Smith
2010-01-30, 05:09 PM
Well, considering some games have cantrips at-will? Could just say it has a duration of 1 round. Youd just have to keep using swift actions to refresh it.

Siosilvar
2010-01-30, 06:34 PM
I could see it being used if you know you're about to get hit with a Disjunction, Dispel, or a crucial Detect Magic spell - "Faint Universal" is less likely to raise concern than, say, "Strong Necromancy".

JoshuaZ
2010-01-30, 07:04 PM
Can the spells be dispelled when they are suppressed? I'd guess not, and would therefore recommend saying so explicitly. But if that's the case, this may be a bit too powerful for a cantrip.

Latronis
2010-01-30, 08:00 PM
Well, considering some games have cantrips at-will? Could just say it has a duration of 1 round. Youd just have to keep using swift actions to refresh it.

Your swift action is too useful to be wasted so frivolously!

Tavar
2010-01-30, 08:39 PM
Can the spells be dispelled when they are suppressed? I'd guess not, and would therefore recommend saying so explicitly. But if that's the case, this may be a bit too powerful for a cantrip.

Eh, the duration still counts down, and you don't gain the benefits of the spell. Perhaps simply add in a line that this spell cannot suppress itself. Of course, if the spell is known, then most security checks that would involve dispelling would simply do it twice.

Zom B
2010-01-30, 09:33 PM
I could see it being used if you know you're about to get hit with a Disjunction, Dispel, or a crucial Detect Magic spell - "Faint Universal" is less likely to raise concern than, say, "Strong Necromancy".

Suppress says nothing about hiding auras. All it does is suppress the spell's effects. You still have that Polymorph spell on you that has you looking like an orc, but you suppress it so that you look like a human again for a while. Anyone checking you will still see Transmutation on you.

I don't see what would make them immune to being dispelled. Once again, the spell is still there, it's just that its effects are being suppressed. Basically, the spell's text is blank while the spell's header remains intact.

I hadn't considered that Suppress would be a valid target for Suppress. I think the easiest answer would be to make it a standard action to cast or, as Jane_Smith said, make it a Concentration skill trick.