PDA

View Full Version : Ignoring Falling Damage

Melamoto
2010-01-30, 05:30 PM
For reasons which may or may not become clear at some point, I am looking for absolutely any method which reduces falling damage, in any situation. The only ones I can think of right now are Featherfall and Monks. Does anybody have any other ideas?

Lysander
2010-01-30, 05:32 PM
Jumping deliberately and a tumble check.

Prime32
2010-01-30, 05:33 PM
A ring of feather fall isn't too expensive, and the monk's Slow Fall is just plain weak. If you're worried about slots, you can double the ring's price to make it slotless.

Melamoto
2010-01-30, 05:37 PM
Jumping deliberately and a tumble check.*Smacks forehead* Why did I not think of that?

A ring of feather fall isn't too expensive, and the monk's Slow Fall is just plain weak. If you're worried about slots, you can double the ring's price to make it slotless.Be that as it may, I am trying to find as many different means as possible, rather than either of those (Which are each very slightly flawed for my purposes).

Prime32
2010-01-30, 05:38 PM
Quickened wall of force/Otiluke's resilient sphere/similar spell?

Web could work to catch you.

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-30, 05:41 PM
The catfall psionic power allows you to ignore a small amount of falling damage (more, if you augment it), and lets you always land on your feet regardless of how far you fall.

Yes, this means successful trip attempts.

Melamoto
2010-01-30, 05:57 PM
The catfall psionic power allows you to ignore a small amount of falling damage (more, if you augment it), and lets you always land on your feet regardless of how far you fall.

Yes, this means successful trip attempts.

That is totally ideal for what I have in mind. Not to say I wouldn't appreciate more ideas, though.

Glimbur
2010-01-30, 06:01 PM
Solid Fog can catch you too, but it's kind of high level to spend as a Featherfall.

There's a Catfall psionic power.

Have wings?

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-30, 06:06 PM
One soulmeld (the apparition ribbon) makes you go ethereal when you move more than 5 ft. You can fly (at perfect maneuverability) while ethereal. Thus, you can't fall more than 5 ft without stopping for at least a moment.

Likewise, the astral vambraces can grant you flight.

There are several grafts that grant winged flight. You can ride around on a phantom steed, or be under the effects of alter self, fly, or overland flight as well.

Check the SRD for catfall and the boots of landing (catfall 1/day).

randomhero00
2010-01-30, 06:10 PM
Fly :D

But also DR I think for shorter falls.

Falling into water.

Oh, also, an immediate action tied to triggering a teleport. Like abrupt jaunt, or the warlock's version.

I know, not very helpful, but all the good advice was taken, and you asked for more.

Heliomance
2010-01-30, 06:12 PM
Play a Raptoran (RotW)

sofawall
2010-01-30, 06:14 PM
Are you trying to fall at full speed, and just ignore the damage?

Are you using the 4500 lbs. of madness? Or perhaps the Dragoon?

herrhauptmann
2010-01-30, 06:19 PM
Anti-impact armor, from I think Complete Warrior.
Get half damage from any source of full body crushing damage. Falling, constriction, "rocks fall"

The monk one requires you to be near a wall.

Raptoran and a few other winged races. If they fall, or are knocked unconscious midflight, their wings open and allow them to spiral to ground safely.

jiriku
2010-01-30, 06:21 PM
Swift etherealness lets you become ethereal as an immediate action. It's superior to feather fall in situations where you actually DO want to plummet long distances at high speeds, and are merely worried about the sudden stop at the end.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-30, 06:36 PM
1 level dip in Binder grants at will Feather fall (Ronove-the monk Binder).

RandomLunatic
2010-01-30, 06:46 PM
There is a cheap, slotless (IIRC) one-shot item of Featherfall in the MIC. Forget what it was called.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-30, 06:50 PM
Doesn't the feather token do that as well?

Faleldir
2010-01-30, 06:57 PM
the monk's Slow Fall is just plain weak.
All you need is a wand of Wall Of Ice to use Slow Fall anywhere! [/troll]

Mystic Muse
2010-01-30, 06:58 PM
Dragonborn with the wing aspect.

ZeroSpace9000
2010-01-30, 07:00 PM
I suppose the Acrobat Boots would work. It takes a little more investment than the other things listed, but being able to ignore 3d6+ of damage is pretty sweet.

Lysander
2010-01-30, 08:09 PM
Blink reduces falling damage by 50%. Use it all day with a very expensive ring of Blinking. Kind of pricey just to negate falling damage, but given that Blink is useful against attacks too...

For a much cheaper option get Boots of Levitation. Stop falling entirely and even go back up.

Darrin
2010-01-30, 08:09 PM
There are a dozen or so feather fall items. Dragonborn of Bahumat w/ wings starts with a glide-like ability that prevents falling damage. Roof-Jumper and Roofclimber in Cityscape, I think. Shape Soulmeld: Pegasus Cloak (feather fall again).

Dimers
2010-01-30, 09:14 PM
A parachute. :smallamused:

nargbop
2010-01-30, 10:40 PM
Take the Explosive Spell metamagic feat, and apply it to a small-radius spell. Time it precisely. The falling damage will be negated and the explosive damage will be small.

This is a silly idea. Just take a slotless item of Feather Fall.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-30, 10:43 PM
You fall at 60 ft/round, which is awfully inconvenient. Better IMO to get perfect maneuverability flying and pull out of free-falls.

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-30, 10:44 PM
It's not the damage from falling that you need to worry about.

It's the sudden stop at the end.

Alejandro
2010-01-30, 11:21 PM
I was once playing a barbarian who fell about 200 feet, while raging. I Mad Foam Raged the damage from the falling. Didn't make it go away, but it did buy me a round. :)

NEO|Phyte
2010-01-30, 11:24 PM
Armor of landing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/armorAndShields.htm#landing).

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-31, 12:28 AM
For reasons which may or may not become clear at some point, I am looking for absolutely any method which reduces falling damage, in any situation. The only ones I can think of right now are Featherfall and Monks. Does anybody have any other ideas?

Solid Fog slows you down.

Drakevarg
2010-01-31, 12:32 AM
Anti-impact armor, from I think Complete Warrior.
Get half damage from any source of full body crushing damage. Falling, constriction, "rocks fall"

Half of infinity is still infinity.

Anywho, I'd say the best way to not take falling damage is to not fall.

The Glyphstone
2010-01-31, 12:45 AM
Cast Blink right before you hit the ground.

Wait, wrong game.:smallbiggrin:

Soonerdj
2010-01-31, 12:55 AM
Cast Blink right before you hit the ground.

Wait, wrong game.:smallbiggrin:

Heh, Slow Fall or Bubble is better

Though wings from either Dragonborn or Raptoran are your best bet for inexpensive.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 01:00 AM
Falling on people helps reduce damage, although some might transfer.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-31, 01:12 AM
One soulmeld (the apparition ribbon) makes you go ethereal when you move more than 5 ft. You can fly (at perfect maneuverability) while ethereal. Thus, you can't fall more than 5 ft without stopping for at least a moment.

Likewise, the astral vambraces can grant you flight.

There are several grafts that grant winged flight. You can ride around on a phantom steed, or be under the effects of alter self, fly, or overland flight as well.

Check the SRD for catfall and the boots of landing (catfall 1/day).

Clarifying: Apparition Ribbon turns you Incorporeal when bound to your Throat, for a limited number of rounds/day. Phase Cloak is the Soulmeld you described, and if it did that while merely shaped every Rogue would have it.

The Pegasus Cloak soulmeld provides infinite Featherfall, and can be obtained via a dip or a feat.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-31, 01:47 AM

Well I was going to suggest feather fall and monks but since you already thought of those...

Maybe max out tumble and find a way to be able to fly.

Melamoto
2010-01-31, 05:20 AM
Are you trying to fall at full speed, and just ignore the damage?

Are you using the 4500 lbs. of madness? Or perhaps the Dragoon?

Something like that. I haven't heard of the 4500 lbs. of madness, and I based the idea off of the Dragoon. The basic premise was to create a character who grapples enemies, then jumps really high up (As part of a "move while grappling" action), and crushes them when they hit the ground. I was going to be Thri-Keen for weapons while grappling and an insane racial jump bonus. But the suggestions of being a Raptoran/Dragonborn did make me think about playing a flyer who swoops down, lifts the target off the ground, and drops them. Doesn't deal as much damage though.

I figured, with this method, if you can reach 200 lbs weight, then they take 2d6 damage for every 10' you each fall. I was also hoping (Although I don't know whether it's legal or not) to add Dungeoncrasher damage on top of that. Depending on how high you can get, that's either mediocre or powerful. You'd need to start up thousands of feet before the damage became broken though.

Sliver
2010-01-31, 05:34 AM
That is a pretty focused trick that can be beaten by Freedom of Movement, don't you think? :smalltongue:

Melamoto
2010-01-31, 05:49 AM
Just as any grappling build is. Fortunately, not that many enemies have freedom of movement, and there is bound to be some way around it. Maybe Batman can just give you a bit of help and dispel it. The biggest issue is the actual grappling against big, strong enemies who have stupid high bonuses to grapple.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-31, 07:32 AM
I was also hoping (Although I don't know whether it's legal or not) to add Dungeoncrasher damage on top of that. Depending on how high you can get, that's either mediocre or powerful.
Dungeon Crasher isn't going to work. It specifically requires a bull rush, not falling. The damage only comes from your pushing (a repellant force), not gravity (an attractive force).

Melamoto
2010-01-31, 07:40 AM
Dungeon Crasher isn't going to work. It specifically requires a bull rush, not falling. The damage only comes from your pushing (a repellant force), not gravity (an attractive force).

What if I chose a flying race, flew up high, and then not only let gravity take me but flew down at the same time? Then that would be both gravity and pushing.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-31, 08:29 AM
You could, however, bull-rush them into the floor, then drop onto them. You need to boost your character's weight for that, though.

Recommendations: Size increases, willing deformity: Obese, Flaw: Obese. Then just get really heavy armor, and max out your carrying capacity.