PDA

View Full Version : Permanent "tongues" Item

Mystic Muse
2010-01-30, 07:26 PM
I'm looking for an item that gives a permanent tongues affect. Anybody know where I could find something like this? Or would it have to be a custom item?

Woodsman
2010-01-30, 07:33 PM
Probably a custom item, though there's one item that grants the use of five languages.

I cannot remember what it's called, though. It's in the MIC.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-30, 07:34 PM
Does understanding what's being said in a language allow you to speak that language by chance? Because I do have a helm of comprehend languages right now.

Thurbane
2010-01-30, 07:57 PM
According to the formula in the SRD, a permanent (slotted) item of tongues would be:

Spell level (3) x caster level (5) x 2000gp = 30,000gp.

Helm of Comprehend Languages and Read Magic (DMG), Amulet of Wordtwisting (MIC) and Pearl of Speech (MIC) do some of what you want, but not a permanent Tongues effect.

Helm of Telepathy (DMG) also allows communication regardless of language.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 01:55 AM
Okay then. Thank you.

One other question. What would it cost to make an item that could change the internal temperature inside, say a bag, to 140 degrees farenheit? Or something that could make the temperature switch between two extremes?

Do yourself a favor. don't ask why.

FishAreWet
2010-01-31, 02:13 AM
continuous item of Prestidigitation can do that. Would only cost 1000g. Can be slotless for 2000g.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 02:18 AM
oops. I forgot to mention.

constant Temperature. I don't think prestidigitation will do it. It also will have to heat significantly more than one pound.

Seffbasilisk
2010-01-31, 02:25 AM
I suppose you could get a continual item of Heat Metal, and seed the object(s) to be heated with metal.

FishAreWet
2010-01-31, 02:31 AM
oops. I forgot to mention.

constant Temperature. I don't think prestidigitation will do it. It also will have to heat significantly more than one pound.

It would take time to heat everything up, as it would take one round to heat up one pound, but you could keep cycling that. Or get ten of them. It's not like they're expensive LOL.

Jack_Simth
2010-01-31, 09:20 AM
I'm looking for an item that gives a permanent tongues affect. Anybody know where I could find something like this? Or would it have to be a custom item?
Well, considering that Tongues is on the list of spells that can be made Permanent with Permanancy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm), and that it doesn't directly affect combat, I don't see how most DM's will particularly object to the custom item. But, if for some reason your DM objects to making it as a custom item, then you can get around the Permanency restrictions of casting it yourself and caster level by way of a Ring of Spell Storing and a hired Wizard with Heighten spell (spells cast out of a Ring of Spell Storing count as you casting them).

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 11:18 AM
The item I need to heat weighs sixty pounds

thorgrim29
2010-01-31, 11:23 AM
Dragon egg?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 11:24 AM
Dragon egg?

Yes.I TOLD YOU NOT TO ASK!

Artanis
2010-01-31, 11:44 AM
Well, sixty pounds at 1 pound per round is ten minutes. I would assume it could survive ten minutes getting up to temperature considering that it survived cooling off in the first place.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 11:58 AM
So a bag of prestidigitation would be able to to heat a dragon egg?

The_Scourge
2010-01-31, 12:23 PM
Or, if you want/need it to go faster you could enchant a metal box with heat metal to warm itself up.

ericgrau
2010-01-31, 01:41 PM
cheaper version would be 5x3/5*1800gp = 5400 gp. 1/day, lasts 50 minutes, tongues. Double the price if it doesn't use a body slot. You can also buy a single use potion of tongues, also lasting 50 minutes, for 5x3*50=750gp.

The cost of a permanent item is actually 45,000gp b/c the spell duration is measured in 10 min/level, which multiplied the cost by 1.5.

Comprehend languages does not let you speak the language.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 02:37 PM
Or, if you want/need it to go faster you could enchant a metal box with heat metal to warm itself up.

Sorry. I don't think that's going to work. The dragon egg in question is four feet across, two feet high and weighs 60 pounds. Anything metal that could hold it would probably put me into heavy encumbrance. Heck it would probably put my MOUNT into heavy encumbrance.

Zaq
2010-01-31, 04:57 PM
Control Temperature. It's either from It's Hot Outside or It's Cold Outside. I forget which, but it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Cieyrin
2010-01-31, 06:19 PM
Sorry. I don't think that's going to work. The dragon egg in question is four feet across, two feet high and weighs 60 pounds. Anything metal that could hold it would probably put me into heavy encumbrance. Heck it would probably put my MOUNT into heavy encumbrance.

Stick in extradimensional space, like a Portable Hole or Bag of Holding? Eggs don't need to breathe, after all.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 06:27 PM
Stick in extradimensional space, like a Portable Hole or Bag of Holding? Eggs don't need to breathe, after all.

No but different eggs need different incubation conditions.

Red and Gold and brass have to be at a constant temperature of 140 degrees or in an open flame

Silver and white have to be in a constant temperature of 0 degrees or be encased in snow or ice.

Green, black, and copper have to be immersed in acid strong enough to deal at least 1d4 points of damage.

Bronze have to be immersed in ocean water

Blue have to be kept in a temperature of 90 degrees to 120 degrees for half a day and 40 to sixty degrees for the second half.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-01-31, 06:32 PM
Is your character a dragon breeder?

JaronK
2010-01-31, 06:32 PM
Each of those should be doable within an enveloping pit or portable hole.

Red and Gold and brass have to be at a constant temperature of 140 degrees or in an open flame

Permanent Wall of Fire would do the trick.

Silver and white have to be in a constant temperature of 0 degrees or be encased in snow or ice.

Blue Ice makes this very easy.

Green, black, and copper have to be immersed in acid strong enough to deal at least 1d4 points of damage.

This one's harder, but I imagine not impossible. Are there rules for finding such an acid?

Bronze have to be immersed in ocean water

Trivial, just drop the pit in the ocean and pull it back out once full, then add the egg.

Blue have to be kept in a temperature of 90 degrees to 120 degrees for half a day and 40 to sixty degrees for the second half.

That one's actually harder too. Not sure what would specifically create that temperature band. Then again, a portable hole should be totally insulating... there's nowhere for the heat to go. So just open the hole when it's the right temperature outside once per day and you should be good to go.

JaronK

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 06:36 PM
where's blue ice from?

JaronK
2010-01-31, 06:39 PM
Stronghold Builder's Guide, IIRC, but it might be Frostburn. Either way, it's a material that always stays 0 degrees and never melts. It's specifically mentioned as being good when used as a freezer.

JaronK

Angel_of_Death
2010-01-31, 06:44 PM
Yes, it's in Frostburn.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 06:56 PM
So does anyboy know exactly where control temperature is from?