PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Arachnophilia

goken04
2010-01-30, 09:50 PM
Is there a way to get a spider typed familiar? If so how/where?

While we're at it, tell me all the spider based spells you can think of and where I can find them! I'm making an gnome illusionist villain with a spider theme!

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-30, 09:55 PM
For spells, Drow of the Underdark is the book you want. Also, Giant Vermin, Summon Monster X, Summon Swarm, and probably a dozen others in Core alone.

For pets, Improved Familiar will get you the Monstrous Spider familiar, or you can get one houseruled in(really, not unbalancing). There's also a Wizard variant that gets you an AC, and a Druid variant that gets you a vermin AC. See if you can stack the 2. Or Polymorph.

Yzzyx
2010-01-30, 09:58 PM
Is there a way to get a spider typed familiar? If so how/where?

While we're at it, tell me all the spider based spells you can think of and where I can find them! I'm making an gnome illusionist villain with a spider theme!

According to Complete Scoundrel, Improved Familiar can get you a small monstrous spider.

Spell Compendium has the Spider domain, with the spells Spider Climb, Summon Swarm, Phantom Steed (with a vermin shape), Giant Vermin, Insect Plague, Spider Curse, Stone Spiders, Creeping Doom, and Spider Shapes, some of which can be gotten by a wizard.

Dimers
2010-01-30, 10:24 PM
... some of which can be gotten by a wizard.

ALL of them, if the wizard has plentiful Wis and takes the Arcane Disciple feat.

... I think I like that feat far more than it's really worth. I keep bringing it up in this forum, and hardly anyone else does. :smallconfused:

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-30, 10:27 PM
ALL of them, if the wizard has plentiful Wis and takes the Arcane Disciple feat.

... I think I like that feat far more than it's really worth. I keep bringing it up in this forum, and hardly anyone else does. :smallconfused:It requires a 13 starting Wis, when most Wizards are happy with 8. If it weren't for that, it'd be great. 1 feat for 9 spells is balanced, but 1 feat for 9 spells that are normally divine and you have no other way of accessing? That's awesome.

Fishy
2010-01-30, 10:47 PM
Don't forget Web, Poison and Animate Rope.

For my spider-themed sorceress, I went ahead and refluffed Mage Armor to look like she was wearing thick webby sheets of spidersilk. And nothing else.

Also, since Spider Climb's material component is a live spider, a spell component pouch contains an arbitrary number of spiders. Fun fact.