PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new players.

Lord Blace
2010-01-30, 10:44 PM
I've got some new players on my hands, and I hate to say it, but I'm having some trouble helping them get the basics down. I was wondering if anyone had any tips, tricks, or advice on the matter?

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-30, 10:48 PM
You must rule them all with an iron fist.

BardicDuelist
2010-01-30, 10:54 PM

Yep, best way to teach. I learned it in my education class.

No, seriously. Well, what, specifically, are you having a hard time teaching?

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-30, 10:57 PM
I gotta say, PF's comments are starting to give me the same insane glee that I got from Solo before he was banned.

On topic, it would help if you at least mentioned what game system and edition you are playing if you want answers with any degree of relevance, unless the problem has to do with general roleplaying.

drengnikrafe
2010-01-30, 10:58 PM
Find associations they can understand. Also, do it in little chunks, during times when they're very awake and paying attention.

Also, give them a list of vocab words to understand on their own time.

Let them understand questions are okay, and there are no bad questions. Furthermore, if they want to try it, let them ask. Make sure they know they can ask.

Finally, let them do some things in game to give them a better understanding. For instance, start out a campaign involving them with having them roll attack rolls against some sort of target, and skill checks, and a few other things.
I guess there's one other thing. If your other players are big optimizers, ask them to tone it down a little. It's hard for newbies to survive in an optimzers world.

Alex112524
2010-01-30, 11:09 PM

No, Pharaoh, YOU must rule them with an iron fist!

Now, to the op, two words. Note cards. With rules written on them. Ok, seven words, but this makes the rules very accessible even in game without slowing things down much. Since they will be looking through the cards often, this should also help them learn faster.

Tavar
2010-01-30, 11:18 PM
Also, steering them away from certain harder classes to use might be good. For instance, Wizard is really hard to play when you're starting out, and the same can really be said of most full casters. On the other hand, ToB is easier to use than most of the other books.

Lord Blace
2010-01-30, 11:19 PM
Sorry, it's 3.5. It's mostly just 'in general' things, like remembering attacking requires to-hit rolls and such.
Luckily they don't have to deal with anyone optimizing, as all three players are new to the game.
From a player: "Mostly it's not having time to read the manual, and not having the manual there to read. This has GOT to be easier on paper."

-edit-

Now, to the op, two words. Note cards. With rules written on them. Ok, seven words, but this makes the rules very accessible even in game without slowing things down much. Since they will be looking through the cards often, this should also help them learn faster.
This is something I just threw at the players. One seems to like the idea at least. Thanks. =D

herrhauptmann
2010-01-30, 11:20 PM
Make up a cheat sheet for them with the basics of the game.
Instead of handing them a character sheet, let them read the sheet that says: "Roll the red dice (the d20), add to that the number in the red box (attack bonus), the final number is what AC (armor class) you hit. Tell it to DM. If he says it hits, next roll the Green dice (d8), and add your strength modifier (green number) to get damage dealt. Tell this to DM."

Let them hold onto the PHB for a week or two to read through at their leisure. At the very least, this will get them used to reading/hearing some of the terms.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-31, 12:32 AM
No, Pharaoh, YOU must rule them with an iron fist!

I already do. Who do you think is feeding them misinformation about the system?

Alex112524
2010-01-31, 01:12 AM
I already do. Who do you think is feeding them misinformation about the system?

Sir Giacomo? :smallbiggrin:

This is something I just threw at the players. One seems to like the idea at least. Thanks. =D

Yay, I'm winning! Also, no problem :smallsmile:

Soonerdj
2010-01-31, 01:56 AM
Gen up some characters as a group activity, explaining what the numbers mean as you go along. Either you go grade school on them and hold each of their hands and go through bit by bit until they can make a *Simple* character with no help. Let the people you help first answer questions or bring ones they don't know to you so you can explain them to everyone.

Then run a sample combat. Either split them into two groups and set them against each other or play some monsters easy and let them get a feel for the patterns in the game mechanics.