PDA

View Full Version : What's going on with myth-weavers?

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-31, 02:26 AM
I can't get the site up and my players have their sheets on there, what's going on with it?

mostlyharmful
2010-01-31, 02:29 AM
it's moving servers over the weekend, should be back to normal in a day or two.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 02:30 AM
After they switch servers, I'm going to copy all of my players' sheets over to The Tangled Web, in case they do it again. :smallcool:

Katana_Geldar
2010-01-31, 02:33 AM
I wanted to get my players sheets off now :smallannoyed:

mostlyharmful
2010-01-31, 02:35 AM
likewise. text text text

Mongoose87
2010-01-31, 03:00 AM
Aggg, srsly? I have a game to play tomorrow!

Eloel
2010-01-31, 03:14 AM
They'll be off for 2 days - it's been over a day ;)

Volthawk
2010-01-31, 08:36 AM
Well, there was a warning:

This weekend MW will be throwing off its mortal shackles and jumping onto a nearby (Amazon Web Service) Cloud.

Assuming all goes well the move should take about a day, and then it might take another day for the dns propagation so that our name points to the new server.

During this time you will probably get all sorts of errors such as site not found or database error, these are "normal" and wont need reporting.

--Your MW Staff

So, yeah, it should be sorted tomorrow.

Bayar
2010-01-31, 09:40 AM
After they switch servers, I'm going to copy all of my players' sheets over to The Tangled Web, in case they do it again. :smallcool:

Dont know how that will help, since character sheets that are posted there sometimes just vanish into the great unknown.

Seriously, had about 4 of them there, all 4 dissapeared during different site downtimes...

Viletta Vadim
2010-01-31, 10:23 AM
If you're really worried, use CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp) or something and print the sheets to your hard drive.

Myth Weavers is one of the most reliable sites out there. Moving sheets to a less reliable site because they have to go out for a couple days once in a blue moon is more than a bit panicky.

Tanaric
2010-01-31, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't call Myth-Weavers the most reliable, really. I've always used The Tangled Web (www.thetangledweb.net), and it's never once been down that I've noticed. Plus, Myth-Weavers sheets lack some basic components, like ACP columns in the skills section.

AmberVael
2010-01-31, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't call Myth-Weavers the most reliable, really. I've always used The Tangled Web (www.thetangledweb.net), and it's never once been down that I've noticed. Plus, Myth-Weavers sheets lack some basic components, like ACP columns in the skills section.

Actually, the tangled web has had some significant problems in the past, including losing all of my sheets. Which is why I was currently using myth-weavers. :smallsigh:

arguskos
2010-01-31, 12:10 PM
Yeaaaah, one of my players couldn't access his sheet last night for our session. Happily, they're level 1, so he just remembered everything. :smallamused:

Toliudar
2010-01-31, 02:06 PM
I've had trouble with the Tangled Web also, but except for this change-over Myth Weavers has been pretty rock-solid.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 02:10 PM
If you're really worried, use CutePDF (http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp) or something and print the sheets to your hard drive.

Myth Weavers is one of the most reliable sites out there. Moving sheets to a less reliable site because they have to go out for a couple days once in a blue moon is more than a bit panicky.

The Tangled Web has never failed me, and beyond that, if it goes down, I have copies on my computer, and if Myth-Weavers goes down, I have copies on The Tangled Web. Not panicky--just ready to keep playing a game, regardless of a site's condition.

golentan
2010-01-31, 02:10 PM
It's still nasty. I had missed any warning bulletins, and had planned for a giant RP fest on friday night. I get back and Whoops! everything's gone. I'm almost going through RP withdrawal.

plugsy
2010-01-31, 03:27 PM
Dont know how that will help, since character sheets that are posted there sometimes just vanish into the great unknown.

Seriously, had about 4 of them there, all 4 dissapeared during different site downtimes...

Myth-weavers backs up the sheet database every night. No sheets have ever been lost.

If you were having a problem presumably you reported it. We have the most responsive staff team any site.

Different site down times, that must be because it's so unreliable /sarcasm

Sorry but I'm gonna call total BS on your claim.

It's still nasty. I had missed any warning bulletins, and had planned for a giant RP fest on friday night. I get back and Whoops! everything's gone. I'm almost going through RP withdrawal.

How could you miss it, there's been a damn great notice at the top of every page, including sheets for about ten days.

IF want to modify your hosts file you can get to the new site now by adding this line.
75.101.153.52 www.myth-weavers.com

Here's some instructions (windows)
http://www.pc1news.com/videos/modify-hosts-file-18.html

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 03:32 PM
Myth-weavers backs up the sheet database every night. No sheets have ever been lost.

If you were having a problem presumably you reported it. We have the most responsive staff team any site.

How could you miss it, there's been a damn great notice at the top of every page, including sheets for about ten days.

that was in response to a poster talking about another site. Not myth weavers.

also, sometimes people don't check the site for a while. It's not that unreasonable for him to have missed it.

sonofzeal
2010-01-31, 03:59 PM
I use notepad by preference, even in face-to-face games. That way I can actually, y'know, notate situational modifiers in a place that actually makes sense, unlike every pre-fab sheet ever designed.

.....yeah, I've got nothing more to add.

golentan
2010-01-31, 04:04 PM
Quite honestly, the banners have been up so long for so many different things I stopped paying attention to them. I saw the donation box, but didn't realize there was a sure timetable.

I'm not trying to sound accusatory. It was just sort of a "Okay, long week, time to play. Wait, where's my game! Oh, the move is THIS weekend? NOOOOO my plans. AAARGHLEBARGHLE!!! WHY DIDN'T I CHECK?! BAD GOLENTAN!"

Temotei
2010-01-31, 04:14 PM
AAARGHLEBARGHLE!!!

I read this aloud, and it made me giggle. It's like the Welsh language!

Jack_Simth
2010-01-31, 04:18 PM

Or, if you don't feel like installing new software on your computer, just do File -> Save As... -> Web page (complete) on your web browser.

I do that for my own character sheets, but forgot to do so for my players. Oh well.

I use notepad by preference, even in face-to-face games. That way I can actually, y'know, notate situational modifiers in a place that actually makes sense, unlike every pre-fab sheet ever designed.

.....yeah, I've got nothing more to add.
Me, I tend to write out the character sheet in notepad, calculate everything there (showing work), make a monster reference summary in notepad, and then copy the entire text of that into the "Additional information" section. So the DM for an online game gets the sheet formatted the way he expects, and if he asks me "How'd you get that", I can tell him. Exactly, as the Skill line will say something along the lines of "Survival: +16 (+8 Ranks, +4 Wis, +2 Druid Nature Sense, +2 Knowledge(Nature) Synergy)" in my specific notes.

Dr Bwaa
2010-01-31, 04:35 PM
I switched to MW because tangled-web was so unreliable. MythWeavers has had a warning up about this move for about two weeks, so while it's annoying, I'm not particularly worried (and it should be up by later tonight or tomorrow).

QFT.

plugsy
2010-01-31, 05:01 PM
Added instructions to my earlier post on how to get immediate access to myth-weavers. Though the forums are currently turned off, should be ok in a few hours.

TTW uses the old base code for 3eprofiler, myth-weavers took that over from MJ Eggerston and developed it further. One of many changes was to the data serialization as it was occasionally unreliable. TTW and DnDoG (and anyone else using rpgwebprofiler) still have that issue. The anecdotal claims of one person not having experienced a problem yet don't change that fact.

Fluffles
2010-01-31, 05:18 PM
Plugsy, any time when it's going back up yet?

Bayar
2010-01-31, 06:23 PM

I think you misunderstood. I was reffering to the fact that The Tangled web kept deleting my character sheets. Never had a problem with MW, and still dont have a problem with the server change. They did this about a year ago and it didnt do anything bad to my char sheets.

Of course, if you have read the replies after my post, you would probably understood what I was reffering to, but seems you wanted to tell someone he is full of **** or something...

plugsy
2010-01-31, 11:16 PM
My apologies Bayar, if I quoted the wrong post that was talking bull not you. I get a bit incensed when people slag off our work and it's just lies and I tripped over my anger it seems. Although the lying scunner seems to have modified their posts anyhow as I can't find the original claim.

IF want to modify your hosts file you can get to the new myth-weavers site now by adding this line. The site is live and people are posting (all 5 of em ATM)
75.101.153.52 www.myth-weavers.com

Here's some instructions (windows)
http://www.pc1news.com/videos/modify-hosts-file-18.html

Mando Knight
2010-01-31, 11:32 PM
You don't even need to modify the hosts file. Just tell the browser to skip its way over to the designated IP address rather than its domain name and you'll get there.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-31, 11:42 PM
It's working for me now.:smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2010-01-31, 11:55 PM
My apologies Bayar, if I quoted the wrong post that was talking bull not you. I get a bit incensed when people slag off our work and it's just lies and I tripped over my anger it seems. Although the lying scunner seems to have modified their posts anyhow as I can't find the original claim.

Is that even a word? I don't believe anyone insulted your work. Myth-weavers is probably just as great as any other site, if not better. There was one person who said Myth-weavers was missing something The Tangled Web had in their character sheet, but that was it.

I said I'm going to copy it to The Tangled Web and my computer, so in case either site goes down, I have copies.

Also: Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1) are important--especially with Roland. :smalltongue:

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-01, 12:02 AM
Yes, it's back up. Feel free to lock, Roland. :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2010-02-01, 12:18 AM
Yes, it's back up. Feel free to lock, Roland. :smallbiggrin:

On the other hand, it doesn't look like it's allowing me to register...no registration image is appearing.

kpenguin
2010-02-01, 12:38 AM
Well, I'm getting database errors when I'm accessing my games. Looks like it's not entirely up and running.

Irreverent Fool
2010-02-01, 03:18 AM

I've had tangled web go down a couple times. It's generally a good idea to have online sheets backed up in a couple locations so you don't run into problems. Definitely worth the effort.

obnoxious
sig

Temotei
2010-02-01, 03:20 AM
I've had tangled web go down a couple times. It's generally a good idea to have online sheets backed up in a couple locations so you don't run into problems. Definitely worth the effort.

obnoxious
sig

That's why I'm joining Myth-Weavers too. :smallcool:

PhoenixRivers
2010-02-01, 03:30 AM
I use Coyotecode.net personally (site: www.coyotecode.net/profiler).

I've had one minor problem with one sheet, but other than that, it's been pretty good to me. It was the first online site I found, and it works, so no need to make big sheet migrations.

plugsy
2010-02-01, 04:39 PM
{Scrubbed}

Temotei
2010-02-01, 04:44 PM
{Scrubbed}

:smallcool: Read.

Insults aren't really needed. A simple "yes" would have been sufficient.

Again, rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1) are important.

If you don't want to read the rules, here's the section I'm referring to:

Flaming
Any poster that openly attacks, insults, belittles, or abuses another poster will have their offending post modified and an Infraction issued to them. You can be critical of another poster's viewpoint in a debate, even going as far as to explain why you believe them to be mistaken and backing your points up with rules quotes as appropriate, but the moment your criticism extends to the person who posted that viewpoint, it has crossed the line.