PDA

View Full Version : Bloodlines, Gestalt and YOU!

Overshee
2010-01-31, 10:38 AM
So I was wondering how bloodlines interacted with gestalt. First I thought they'd act like LA, but then I realized that they "effectively" reset your XP to that of the previous level, not actually taking up a level slot.

So does it apply to both sides of the gestalt? Does it count as getting 2 at once? Do you give XP to both sides and allow it to be Class x+1//Class x + bloodline?

I'd never read bloodline rules till yesterday so I figured the GitP collective would know much more in it's collective hive-mind than me :-P

Overshee
2010-01-31, 04:06 PM
bump?

Jack_Simth
2010-01-31, 04:12 PM
Well, the thing is, most variant rules are not built with each other in mind (and having all variant rules reference how they interact with all other variant rules would very quickly become very big). LA is not involved in "normal" play, so the Gestalt rules do not address LA. LA was built before the gestalt rules were, so LA does not address the Gestalt variant. Some DM's will split LA between the two sides, some will have LA take up just one side, some will apply LA in full.

Similarly, Bloodlines and Gestalt do not reference each other. You can get opinions on how they should interact, but you'll have some rather extreme difficulty finding someone who can give you a proper page reference where the printed rules actually spell it out.

Overshee
2010-01-31, 04:19 PM
You can get opinions on how they should interact, but you'll have some rather extreme difficulty finding someone who can give you a proper page reference where the printed rules actually spell it out.

Well, I'd love some opinions from more experienced players :)

mostlyharmful
2010-01-31, 04:21 PM
I'd assume that you'd simply delay level up on both sides to get the 'bloodline level' since you only actually get one level in Gestalt and you get the best of both sides. standerd cost and then on you go on your overpowered way .

Darrin
2010-01-31, 04:28 PM
So I was wondering how bloodlines interacted with gestalt. First I thought they'd act like LA, but then I realized that they "effectively" reset your XP to that of the previous level, not actually taking up a level slot.

That's not my understanding of how bloodline levels work. I was under the impression they count just like any other level, except you don't get BAB, HPs, skill points, or improved saves. It sounds to me like you're arguing that it should work like LA buyoff, but I don't see in the text any support for your idea that it effectively "resets" your XP. Unfortunately, the rules for Bloodlines are written so poorly, I'm not sure we can determine how the designers intended them to work.

Overshee
2010-01-31, 04:30 PM
I'd assume that you'd simply delay level up on both sides to get the 'bloodline level' since you only actually get one level in Gestalt and you get the best of both sides. standerd cost and then on you go on your overpowered way .

It's not actually only for super powergaming reasons. I'm actually going for one for the bonuses it gives, improved init and dexterity. I'm only going to apply it to one side of the gestalt so it's not just ridiculous.

That does make the leveling speed weird though... Am I gonna be level 5 on one side and class 3/bloodline 2 on the other?

Overshee
2010-01-31, 04:31 PM
That's not my understanding of how bloodline levels work. I was under the impression they count just like any other level, except you don't get BAB, HPs, skill points, or improved saves. It sounds to me like you're arguing that it should work like LA buyoff, but I don't see in the text any support for your idea that it effectively "resets" your XP. Unfortunately, the rules for Bloodlines are written so poorly, I'm not sure we can determine how the designers intended them to work.

AFAICT they don't count a levels at all.

mostlyharmful
2010-01-31, 04:37 PM
That does make the leveling speed weird though... Am I gonna be level 5 on one side and class 3/bloodline 2 on the other?

As far as I understand it no, you don't get either side and you delay level up. The Gestalt like I said doesn't actually give you two levels, just the best of both.

Lamech
2010-01-31, 06:26 PM
See the problem with bloodlines is that they don't increase character level. And you level up when you reach a certain xp threshold that is dependent on character level. The up shot of this is no DM will ever aprove them if they go by RAW. Therefore you must ask your DM how they work.

Although I would say by RAW that the bloodline is a class that eats up a side of the progression. And of course, getting the benefits of each side you don't gain a character level.

And everything is ruined forever.