PDA

View Full Version : Funny monster kills

Elvenoutrider
2010-01-31, 01:21 PM
So after 5 years of playing dungeons and dragons I can finally celebrate the fact that I have encountered and killed my first dragon.

A colossal red it was, an intimidating beast. But not too much of a challenge for my 3rd level illusionist wizard. While my comrades were negotiating with it I activated my invisibility spell in an attempt to steal a staff... I forgot about the dragons continuous true seeing. Sure enough I was eaten.:smalleek:

What it had not counted on was my equipment. I had in my posession some sovereign glue and a decanter of endless water which I promptly glued to it and set to geyser. Sure enough, my unconscious body was blasted out of the dragons mouth the dragon eventually died... leaving us with its treasure. UNfortunately with the cave flooding we only had time to grab so much. Luckully the dragon managed to give us the plot hook before it died.:smallbiggrin:

So who wants to share any similar exploits.

The Blackbird
2010-01-31, 01:25 PM
Once our party fought a bunch of ogres that worshipped death (though no particular deity representing death), and told our party before attacking them that they must appease death by slaughtering them. The leader of the group then just asked, "If you want to appease death then why don't you kill yourselves?"
He rolled a natural 20 for diplomacy (which he had max ranks in), and the ogres decided to hang themselves instead of attacking us.

Since then the character earned himself the name "Death's Diplomat".

EDIT: Though I have to admit, the OP's story kind of tops mine.:smalltongue:

Shardan
2010-01-31, 01:46 PM
yeah, the glue/decanter is pretty awesome.

All I have is an Atahsian Earth Cleric, in a desert fort, drop a row boat down a ladder at some elves that were pursueing him. (drawn from a robe of useful items)

Ah.. not D&D but the phrase should sound familiar. Running a Vampire the Masquerade game, my charcter was a Nosferatu sniper. the BBEG had a staff that ate paradox (a dangerous side effect of magic in the WoD) something neither me, or my character knew. the other characters were approaching while I was setting up my sniper nest. I take aim and announce the action. "I shoot the Staff." The DM and one other player familiar with the story-line we were playing through both look at be with this surprised fearful face. The ST looks at the books again and announces. "ok.. an explosion of pent up magic takes out a city block size swatch of countryside". this was worse than breaking a staff of magi and staff of power at the same time.

Starscream
2010-01-31, 01:54 PM
This one isn't so much "we were creative" as "the rules were stupid". In a campaign I was in a year or so ago, we fought a colossal half dragon monstrous scorpion. It turned out to be much tougher than the DM anticipated and end up slaughtering a party member in one round.

So we fled to the previous room as soon as we got a chance. However, one of the things that happened before we did so was that the party's warlock attacked the thing with a swarm of summoned bats, doing maybe one or two points of damage.

Due to the bats "Wounding" property, the scorpion just kept taking damage. One point per round, every round. A DC 10 Heal check would have stopped the bleeding, but the scorpion was mindless, and so could make no check.

So after completely owning us in combat, the house sized monster slowly bled to death because it had been scratched by a bat, while we cowered in the other room and waited for it to stop moving.

Not our proudest moment, but pretty funny.:smallbiggrin:

Swordgleam
2010-01-31, 02:22 PM
A few years back, I DMed a tri-stat dX party that consisted of a rogue, a bard (played by the rogue's brother), and a thoroughly incompetent druid. They were in the "here be dragons" section of the map, and ran into a small flying dragon.

Not a big problem - except the only ranged weapon the group had was the druid's xbow, and she sucked with it. The bard had the most damaging attack of the party (tri-stat is a very different game), but it was an aura attack with no range.

After a few rounds of futiley plinking at the dragon with the xbow, the thief announces, "I pick the bard up and throw him at the dragon." I roll my eyes and tell him to make a strength check. Critical.

Now the bard is flying through the air in the general direction of the very confused dragon. I tell him to make an acrobatics check to successful grab the dragon. Critical.

The bard grabs the dragon and activates his aura attack, which kills the beast in one shot. The dragon falls out of the sky, taking the bard with it.

Sadly, that's one of the more effective plans that party managed to put together.

Lycan 01
2010-01-31, 02:23 PM
One of my players ripped a skeleton's spine out. It only had a few HP left, and she passed the grapple check, so I decided to Rule Zero it. She not only got the spine, but also the skull, and its jaw clattered every time she shook it.

She now carries around this Macabre Marraca and dances with it when bored.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-01-31, 02:25 PM
I was DMing a game and my players went into a fight with a BBEG. The hulking warrior waded across the pool, bearing down on the players. The the sorcerer cast Hideous Laughter and my BBEG failed it's saving throw and fell prone. In a pool of water. A few rounds later, it had drowned without doing anything. It was embarrassing.

dsmiles
2010-01-31, 02:26 PM
I mentioned this in the epic death thread:

I once teleported directly into the heart of a red dragon. We died spectacularly.

TheCountAlucard
2010-01-31, 05:26 PM
...but the scorpion was mindless, and so could make no check...Actually, as a half-dragon, it would gain the Intelligence (and presumably thus lose Mindless), would it not?

DarkEternal
2010-01-31, 05:31 PM
Once, the party fought a tiefling blackguard. My idea was that he would be pretty intimidating, and would be a recurring enemy, returning more powerful each time.

The first time they met him, he was level 8 if I recall, and they were level 6. The fight started and the party had really good rolls. Ranger and Fighter critted like three times in a row, rogue constantly had good rolls on his sneak attack, and by round 2 or so, they already took over 100 points of health from him.

So, I gave him some more health behind the screen and made him jump through the window with a fly spell activated to run away and fight another day. The cleric of the party however ran to the window, and cast a sucessfull Dispel Magic on the guy, making him fall some odd 150 feet or so to the cold ground.

Alas, his dreams of ever returning to be a badarse rival to the party were shattered when he became nothing more then a pancake on the pavement.

Bibliomancer
2010-01-31, 05:38 PM
Alas, his dreams of ever returning to be a badarse rival to the party were shattered when he became nothing more then a pancake on the pavement.

Um...then he's still alive. Dispel Magic converts a Fly spell to a Feather Fall spell for a few rounds. Clearly, he had a potion of invisibility and a scroll of minor image (and ranks in UMD) and convinced the party that their magic killed him.

Now he can return (if you're still playing that campaign).

JohnnyCancer
2010-01-31, 05:42 PM
Had a team effort killing the BBEG vampire well before we should have been able to. He was chasing us with minions in tow as we fled the dungeons beneath his dilapitated church hideout (lol Diablo). It was supposed to lead to a nail-biter where we were climbing ropes back up to the surface while his bats nipped at us and he monologued. We thought we could get cute and blast the ceiling overhead to let the sunshine in, but he was just out of the light, so my wizard tried a spell (I think it's baleful teleport, but I dont have my sheet handy) which caused him to switch places with the vamp. While his hell hounds tore my character to ribbons, the rest of the party tackled the vamp and got him into the sunlight.

There was some stat loss and character death, but it was worth it :smallsmile:

DarkEternal
2010-01-31, 05:45 PM
Um...then he's still alive. Dispel Magic converts a Fly spell to a Feather Fall spell for a few rounds. Clearly, he had a potion of invisibility and a scroll of minor image (and ranks in UMD) and convinced the party that their magic killed him.

Now he can return (if you're still playing that campaign).

I know, but a he still fell, some odd 100 feet when that stuff was dispelled since this fight took place on the highest level of a tower so feather fall only "lessened" the blow.

Pyro_Azer
2010-01-31, 05:48 PM
Well I had a vorpal dagger and was fighting a huge black dragon...

Bibliomancer
2010-01-31, 05:51 PM
I know, but a he still fell, some odd 100 feet when that stuff was dispelled since this fight took place on the highest level of a tower so feather fall only "lessened" the blow.

Feather fall causes you to fall 60 feet per round, and it's active for 1d6 rounds after fly is dispelled, meaning that, on average, he would have made it to the ground safely (ground = 150 feet below, average safe distance traveled = 210 feet).

Thus, he could be alive.

Fiery Diamond
2010-01-31, 06:12 PM
Feather fall causes you to fall 60 feet per round, and it's active for 1d6 rounds after fly is dispelled, meaning that, on average, he would have made it to the ground safely (ground = 150 feet below, average safe distance traveled = 210 feet).

Thus, he could be alive.

On the other hand, if it was a min roll (1 round), that's 9d6 damage, which still could have killed him.

ArcanistSupreme
2010-01-31, 06:12 PM
Thus, he could be alive.

Duh duh DUHN!

Starscream
2010-01-31, 06:13 PM
Actually, as a half-dragon, it would gain the Intelligence (and presumably thus lose Mindless), would it not?

I'm not sure. I think the way it works is that if it had an intelligence of zero, then yes it's score would have been raised to two. Instead it had an int score of "null".

Sort of how you can't give an undead a constitution of four (actually costing it hit points) by casting "Bears Endurance" on it. It doesn't have a constitution of zero. It doesn't have a constitution score at all.

Although some templates would have given the scorpion an intelligence score. Celestial for example states that intelligence is always at least three.

That's my interpretation of how it works, anyway. Others might treat it differently.

Harperfan7
2010-01-31, 06:17 PM
Is that actually a rule? That dispelling fly makes it become feather fly?

Bibliomancer
2010-01-31, 06:19 PM
Is that actually a rule? That dispelling fly makes it become feather fly?

Not specifically, but effectively, yes. Spell description reads:

Should the spell duration expire while the subject is still aloft, the magic fails slowly. The subject floats downward 60 feet per round for 1d6 rounds. If it reaches the ground in that amount of time, it lands safely. If not, it falls the rest of the distance, taking 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet of fall. Since dispelling a spell effectively ends it, the subject also descends in this way if the fly spell is dispelled, but not if it is negated by an antimagic field.
Emphasis mine.

Harperfan7
2010-01-31, 06:25 PM
Wish I'd known that earlier.

(I meant to say feather fall, btw)

Soranar
2010-01-31, 06:31 PM
We were in a dungeon (group of 4) preparing to engage a particularly dangerous unknown ennemy which we believed was in the next room.

My gnome was trying to setup an insane trap (sprouted a cloud of acid with Constitution damage and an explosion) that I managed to recover earlier in the dungeon. My group being smart enough to stay away from the gnome playing with explosives, waited a good distance from me.

Thing is I'm literally surrounded by invisible ennemies waiting for us to cross the last door to make a proper ambush with the rest of their gang. Just a bunch of rogues using potions or whatever (DM never really stated how they got invisible).

Of course while setting up the trap I made a critical failure and detonated it instead, killing everything in the room except me (yay evasion and high CON scores).

I kinda felt like Forest Gump.

CTLC
2010-02-01, 05:47 PM
we are level two and are in a sinking dingy, this large ship arrives [we have a mission to get its goods] and starts shooting. Cannons. We sink, i turn in to a bird, fly onto the ship, and proceed to snipe each and every sailor, i then go in through a window and land on the final sailor's shoulder. Eldritch blast in the ear.

Your Nemesis
2010-02-01, 05:54 PM
I am in that campaign as well. What CTLC forgets to mention was the use of silent image to turn one sinking boat into six ( for the ppl who COULDN'T turn into sparrows) and the repeated failure of swim checks/climb checks to make it to the boat. CTLC then tried to kill me.

CTLC
2010-02-01, 06:04 PM
right, your nemisis counts as a monster, ill think of a funny way to kill him and do it next time!

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-01, 06:19 PM
One time my newly-Exalted Dawn Caste Solar managed to defeat an Essence 6+ Solar akuma after the akuma had made me waste every single one my motes on soaking his hits just to stay alive.

Gnorman
2010-02-01, 08:04 PM
One time my newly-Exalted Dawn Caste Solar managed to defeat an Essence 6+ Solar akuma after the akuma had made me waste every single one my motes on soaking his hits just to stay alive.

But how is that funny?

CTLC
2010-02-01, 08:07 PM
But how is that funny?

the same thing could be said of your post, tbqh the write up of alucards aswell as the image is fairly amusing.

drengnikrafe
2010-02-01, 08:12 PM
Every now and then... When a PC gets a critical hit with a powerful weapon against a monster with low HP, to the point where even if they roll minimum it will knock it below -10, my description is "You know how every now and again, monsters just kinda.... explode? Well...." and then trail off.

Schylerwalker
2010-02-01, 08:13 PM
So, the party's like third or fourth level. They've killed some kobold trapsmiths and this evil vampire-bloodline highwayman called the Gorgon, among some other pretty cool monsters. Then they hear about a monster lurking in the Lirsian Woods; the Korgoh!!!. So they go into the dark, dank woods, light spells a'flaring. As I recall, there was an archivist, a favored soul, a rogue/fighter, a battle sorcerer, and a cleric/wizard. Not that it mattered in the end.

So they sneak into the woods, looking around, when the Korgoh attacks. Now let me tell you friends, this was a beautiful, lovingly hand-crafted homebrew monster. Six hit-dice of monstrous humanoid, with a frightful presence, two claws and a bite (With a rend), a breath weapon that caused sickness, and the powerful build special quality. He charges out, half the party fails their saves, and he moves towards the heavily armored favored soul.

Natural one.

Cursing, I make a Dexterity check, using our group's house rules.

Natural one.

Feeling panic begin to grip me, I make another Dex check. Fail.

Sweating, I roll the dice and look over the fumble table. I feel like it's the end of the world as I realize the fearsome beast has charged, tripped over a root, and broken its neck. Not my best monster moment.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-01, 08:15 PM
Well I had a vorpal dagger and was fighting a huge black dragon...
Oh my beamish boy,`twas brillig, indeed!

Eldariel
2010-02-01, 08:19 PM
Well, there was this...I still don't know (or I don't remember; been a few years) what it was. It was basically a thunder cloud with infinite hp and somehow completely silent and so on, that was kicking our party around in the early teens.

Note though, it was a...I think Colossal thing composed of...cloud. Desperate for solutions, our party Rogue rushes to the middle of the creature and does what you should never-ever do: slams a Bag of Holding into a Portable Hole.

Having two-thirds of its essence ripped onto another plane had a...negative effect on the creature's health; it stayed alive and apparently its awareness remained on the material plane, but at like 1/10th of its original HP, it died quickly. After that, we just picked up our Rogue and moved on.

Narazil
2010-02-01, 08:20 PM
Not mine, but my partymember's. Old World of Darkness, the Night of Terror or whatever it's called - the bloody founding of the Sabbat.
Sascha Vycos is going at it in her Skeleton Dragon form, being badbehind in the sky. Eating peasants, showing everyone that the supernatural exist. Of course, as good Masquerade-enforcing Elder vampires, we had to do something.

You stand on the ground, 5 Elder Vampires with no means of flight, the Tremere's Fireballs are severely out of range. Looks like old Sascha will live to fight another night, and successfully sire the Sabba-"She has wings, right?" "Erh, yes.. Why?" "Well, when she moves her wings, she must create a shadow between them, correct" "Yes? I don't see where this is go-" "I Shadow Jump between her wings."
Up the little Abyssal Mysticism Ravnos goes, between the Skeleton Dragon's wings. He makes his Dexterity/Ride Check, and stabs his ungodly living shadow blade into her heart. Queue the epic fall of the Dragon, with him surfing her all the way to the ground, only to Shadow Jump off at the last minute.

... Yea. The Sabbat was never founded. Interesting world, that was. Followers of Set and Tzimisce making it into the Camarilla, Tremere being blood-hunted. Good times.

PallElendro
2010-02-01, 08:24 PM
I jumped down a ledge when the rest of my party was poisoned by kobold acidpots, and I flung my +1 Sunblade at him, and rolled a 20, +1d6 (6) extra damage, and got bonus xp for the awesomeness.

Ooh, you're gonna love this. I was in a Magic Guild training as level 1 wizards with 3 other members, and sure enough, one of my party members got antsy, and cast Magic Missile into the darkness, killing our contact.

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-01, 08:29 PM
But how is that funny?Oops, forgot that bit; the reason it was funny is that my circle-mates were completely undamaged, either by merit of really heavy armor or magical protection, and that the heavily-armored Zenith Caste was exactly one tick away from his turn, in which he surely would've ended him just as thoroughly as I had. :smallbiggrin:

storybookknight
2010-02-01, 08:35 PM
So, my DM had this homebrewed campaign setting. In it, before she became Lolth, Lilith was the goddess of prophecy.

We the party (a 4.0 game, consisting of 6 players of various stripes - I was the warlord) naturally wandered into a forgotten temple of Lilith, whereupon we were offered (by a ghost, natch) the chance to make a prophecy. There was a plot contrivance we needed more info on, so we made a 'sacrifice' (I forget what, some gold, maybe?) and Lilith showed up and gave us tasty plot hooks.

Then she turned into Lolth and summoned a bunch of spiders for calling her by her old name. Bad players! Bad! She's a crazy goddess!

We're surrounded, and considering the notion of running for our lives, when I get a crazy stupid plan. I slit my wrist, drip the blood on the altar, and shout "By blood sacrifice I bind you to answer my question, Lilith! How do we erase your presence from these temple grounds?"

At this point the DM has to leave the room to think about it. Eventually the holy symbol on a statue's chest turns into an extra-nasty spider, and we have to kill it along with everything else. Some lucky crits turned the day.

Good times.

Vorpalbob
2010-02-01, 08:35 PM
So, the party's like third or fourth level. They've killed some kobold trapsmiths and this evil vampire-bloodline highwayman called the Gorgon, among some other pretty cool monsters. Then they hear about a monster lurking in the Lirsian Woods; the Korgoh!!!. So they go into the dark, dank woods, light spells a'flaring. As I recall, there was an archivist, a favored soul, a rogue/fighter, a battle sorcerer, and a cleric/wizard. Not that it mattered in the end.

So they sneak into the woods, looking around, when the Korgoh attacks. Now let me tell you friends, this was a beautiful, lovingly hand-crafted homebrew monster. Six hit-dice of monstrous humanoid, with a frightful presence, two claws and a bite (With a rend), a breath weapon that caused sickness, and the powerful build special quality. He charges out, half the party fails their saves, and he moves towards the heavily armored favored soul.

Natural one.

Cursing, I make a Dexterity check, using our group's house rules.

Natural one.

Feeling panic begin to grip me, I make another Dex check. Fail.

Sweating, I roll the dice and look over the fumble table. I feel like it's the end of the world as I realize the fearsome beast has charged, tripped over a root, and broken its neck. Not my best monster moment.
Fudging= the unlucky DM's best friend!

My best kill was in a wierd D&D adventure in which there was a large WWI-esque battle going on (trenches, mortars, clumsy tanks), and I was playing a 10th-level human Rogue.

My rogue snuck up to (and into) the enemy trench line, helped by natural 20s. I killed a soldier and took his uniform, Bluffed the enemy mortar crews to take a break and leave, and aimed the mortars (fired a projectile that cast a Fireball that had been houseruled more deadly but with a smaller AOE) at the enemy HQ. Of course I had no training, but my friend the natural 20 was there to help me, and I flattened the building that contained the enemy command, as well as their "radio" (a rock that had a permanent Sending to one rock at a time.

I was attacked by about fifty soldiers, and killed most of them with my big-ass knife, but ended up dying.

I got the equivalent of the Victoria Cross. (thats it?)

Dr.Epic
2010-02-01, 09:06 PM
My one party once fought a rust monster, but I didn't want my barbarian to lose his axes to the thing so he just grappled it while the archer shot it full of arrows.

Dust
2010-02-01, 09:14 PM
This is a re-tell of a story I heard from these forums, so there may be exaggeration, misquoting, or justice failing to be done to the tale. Anyway.

A group of hardy, low-level adventurers have ventured into the sewers beneath a major city. they encounter a powerful dragon, sleeping, and blocking the path that they have to travel. The players contemplate a few options; diplomacy, appealing to the creature's greed, obscure combat tricks to get the upper hand over the massive thing in the cramped quarters. Finally, the party comes to a decision and informs the GM that they simply leave. Their gamemaster was flabberghasted, but agrees, assumes he had made an error in judgement, and the party continues their adventures.

They seem to forget all about the dragon, slay hordes of monsters, amass levels and magical items, and singlehandedly stop a war. Finally they return to the original city, hailed as heroes, and are granted 'any reward they want.'

With smiling faces all around, the party declares that they would like an annual celebration in their honor, and the town agrees; and so the first Annual Week-Of-Pouring-Alchemists'-Fire-and-Acid-Down-the-Sewers Festival began.

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-01, 10:16 PM
Oh lord, I've only had two real campaigns and a couple of toying around plays so far, but we've had some...funny and memorable deaths. Players and creatures alike (never try eating a Bag of Holding).

After an attempted assassination on an aristocrat falls flat the party are escorted to his chambers for the mandatory BBEG monologe. Searched by various guards I (makeshift Necromancer) get my ceremonial dagger taken off me. A lucky search roll also reveals the blade in my sleeve, and the one sheathed in my shield. Thankfully they didn't have sufficient boosts to find the dagger in the heel of my boot! Which sadly didn't work out too well when I tried to stop the BBEG from talking via removal of the tongue... still led to some amusing guard deaths.

While passing back through a tomb (I'll get to that later) our fighter had the genius ploy to stop the obvious attack of monsters from the lone door on solving the painfully simple puzzle. A bucket of holy water above the door...
2D4 + Splash Damage on four lowly undeads. The sheer quantity of it resulted in two kills.

Alright, this has come up on the forums before but I'll recite it for this thread. One of our campaigns had the group encounter a God in mortal form, a God of insanity based largely off the Elder Scrolls prince Sheogorath. As a reward for the plot driven mission he granted each of the players a special item/power that seemed ridiculously effective at first... but proved to have additional side effects. Ones I might add, all other players were informed of except the holder. One example of this was a charisma spell that had the (invisible to holder) effect of turning the user into a naked elf female. Only worked on men, surprisingly. Another was a teleportation spell that made the weilder appear on location without pants. The best though, was an Axe given to the warrior.. which as it happens, turned into a spoon at night.
Have you ever seen a warrior unknowingly attempt to beat a goblin to death with an enchanted spoon? It's freaking hilarious.

Less funny but really quite epic, and still made us laugh afterwards. Running a high level 'play-around' our evil alignment wizard snagged himself a Lesser Nightmare as a mount, but after relying on it in one particuarly gruesome battle it became sealed in a tomb. Leaving it behind for a while the group eventually came back through the tomb (unknowingly) from the other side, only to find the Nightmare had been 'brewed into a Zombie Nightmare.
A nightmare it was, but after a long period our rogue asked our DM what was exposed of the beasts body, and promptly made a single arrow called shot to the heart. He made a high roll, but the DM was quick to remind him it was undead and this alone wouldn't be sufficient. After this he paused for a moment, leaving us in wonder before holding up the paper of the rogues underhanded last action.
"Dip arrows in Holy Water flask."
Chunky Salsa. What more do I have to say?

Woodsman
2010-02-01, 10:24 PM
I threw a juvenile white dragon at my PC's.

Due to the system we have, crits are rolled on a table to see what they do. Well, one player crits, succeeds, and rolls high on his d%.

The result? Insta-kill.

So yeah, now the PC is known as "The Dragon's Bane," because he killed it on the first turn with the first blow.

Not my best moment as a DM.

Dyllan
2010-02-01, 10:44 PM
This was just my last session. The party sorcerer, invisible, peeks into a room. I describe the room - a large gnarled black tree sits in the middle of a dirt filled room. Various humanoid bones stick out of the dirt all throughout the room. The party sorcerer assumes the bones are going to rise up and attack them, so he decides to throw a fireball and run down the hall (where the rest of the party is waiting). He casts and runs, not waiting to see what happens.

The party is shocked to see their sorcerer running down the hall towards, chased by a giant burning tree. It was a half-fiendish treant, trying to lure them into the room where the poison in the dirt would be stirred up and kill them all (con damage poison). But even with the Fiendish fire resistance, the fireball took out half his hitpoints, so he had no choice but to attack. The sorcerer and Barbarian finished the Treant off before it ever got a chance to attack.

AslanCross
2010-02-01, 11:02 PM
So my PCs were fighting off pirates on a ship.

The enemy pirate captain swings onto the PCs' ship via a rope, intending to bring some pain.At this point the pirate ship had rammed the PC ship, causing it to list severely.

The captain hit the deck and slipped, barely managing to hang onto the side rail.
The PC ranger/swordsage who was about to duel him instead tried to hack off his fingers with her kukri.

Eventually he managed to get up onto the deck and got baleful polymorphed by the PC wizard. Amid a "rainbow of biology" (wizard player's exact words), the pirate captain turned into a snail.

In the same battle, the ranger also used Mighty Throw to toss the hobgoblin pirate first mate over the side.

He, a pirate, didn't have ranks in swim and was wearing chainmail. He drowned.

elonin
2010-02-01, 11:08 PM
Alright, this has come up on the forums before but I'll recite it for this thread. One of our campaigns had the group encounter a God in mortal form, a God of insanity based largely off the Elder Scrolls prince Sheogorath. As a reward for the plot driven mission he granted each of the players a special item/power that seemed ridiculously effective at first... but proved to have additional side effects. Ones I might add, all other players were informed of except the holder. One example of this was a charisma spell that had the (invisible to holder) effect of turning the user into a naked elf female. Only worked on men, surprisingly. Another was a teleportation spell that made the weilder appear on location without pants. The best though, was an Axe given to the warrior.. which as it happens, turned into a spoon at night.
Have you ever seen a warrior unknowingly attempt to beat a goblin to death with an enchanted spoon? It's freaking hilarious.

Didn't the barbarian know that he could beat down the goblin till the final hit then switch to his spoon? The Fork of Horripilation is so cool.