PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Scales of War Discrepancies

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-31, 03:49 PM
I'm planning on running a PbP Scales of War campaign on another forum, and I've been trying to recruit players. So far I've got one definite yes and one maybe. The one whose said maybe appears interested in playing a particular homebrew race:

Eijilund Plushies (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Eijilund_Plushies_%284e_Race%29)

I'm not quite sure how to respond to this. Scales of War is meant to be a grand saga chronicling of a great conflict that has brewed between two gods ever since they first came into being. I kind of feel like having one of the main characters be a living stuffed animal really kills the mood. This player really has a thing for playing plushie characters in any roleplay he's ever been in, and I'd like to get as many players as I can, since 4e isn't really popular on the board I'm running it on. I have no idea what to do. Do I let the guy play a plushie and thus undercut the tone I'm trying to set, or do I say no and try to steer him in a more serious direction?

Edea
2010-01-31, 04:02 PM
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll58/blue2022/EyeTwitch.gif

You are well within your rights to tell him that's off-limits and steer him in a different direction. If you lose him, that's a shame, but yeah don't feel like you have to put up with that as a DM.

Sir Homeslice
2010-01-31, 04:08 PM
Based on the words "loose grip on sanity" and the second bullet of the "Play an Eijilund Plushy if you want..." list, I'd say no, but that wouldn't be grand enough to properly display the disdain I have for this race.

kieza
2010-01-31, 04:11 PM
Living plushy toys with a loose grip on sanity.

Gahhh! Kill it with fire!

You know, I really hate these weird races that are essentially "Do whatever you want free" cards. They're like kender. I had a player in my group a couple of years ago who didn't get the idea of "epic fantasy story, serious plot, consequences for failure." He would have absolutely loved that race.

Grynning
2010-01-31, 04:16 PM
I would have to agree with the posters above. Allowing someone to play something that's completely out-of-line with the setting will detract from your storytelling and most likely annoy the crap out of any other players that you do end up recruiting. If this guy wants to play a "plushie" (seriously what kind of weird fetish inspired someone to make these things in D&D?) he should look for a DM who wants to run a campaign with the right tone and feel for that kind of character, not try to arm-twist DM's who already have a campaign set up into allowing it.

Artanis
2010-01-31, 04:21 PM
Does this remind anybody else of the movie Toys?

Anyways, I really don't blame you for not wanting such a race in the campaign. Hell, I wouldn't blame you for not wanting it in a very, very silly campaign.

If you really want to salvage it, you might change the fluff (no pun intended) to something that, frankly, doesn't even remotely resemble the fluff in that link. You could...*thinks*...do something like Erfworld had, with the various creatures like Cloth Golems that resembled toys. He'd still get to play something that looks like a teddy bear, but beneath the skin, still be deadly serious.

...yeah, I got nothin' :smallfrown:

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-31, 04:24 PM
He's not trying to armtwist as far as I can tell. He just said he might be interested but wanted me to take a look at the homebrew thing first. He hasn't explicitly said he wants to play one, but I wouldn't put it past him. His most prominent character on the forum is a stuffed panda who's a shinigami (the Bleach kind).

Ichneumon
2010-01-31, 04:24 PM
In theory you could make it "setting-appropriate", D&D has constructs and animated items, so it could work. I wouldn't allow it though.

Anonomuss
2010-01-31, 04:28 PM
I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to veto it. The world is the DMs, and the players are actors that affect it, but they've no reason to try and introduce something that isn't indigenous.
As for plushies...

:smallsigh:

Really, Plushies?

potatocubed
2010-01-31, 04:56 PM
:smallconfused:

I usually run light-hearted, casual games where setting yourself on fire is the sensible course of action, and I wouldn't touch that with the proverbial ten foot pole.

More generally, the GM is always in a position to control what races and classes the characters pick. All you have to do is say "Sorry, but that just doesn't fit with the tone of game I'm trying to put together."

Ogremindes
2010-01-31, 05:07 PM
An option would be to have -everyone-, PCs and NPCs, be something along that line and then play the campaign completely straight-faced.

Kylarra
2010-01-31, 05:08 PM
Yeah, I'm with everyone else in saying that you should just veto it.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-31, 05:16 PM
Basically, they are warforged that less warbased and more fire resistant.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-31, 07:04 PM
Yeh, I'm probably going to veto it.

GenPol
2010-01-31, 07:10 PM
Yeh, I'm probably going to veto it.

Probably a good course of action. You are the DM, if you don't want something in your campaign, it shouldn't be in your campaign.

However, for those familiar with the Final Fantasy rpgs, Moogles do make substantial contributions to very thick and serious plots. Just putting that out there :smalltongue:

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-31, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I've never played a Final Fantasy game, so I'm not familiar with moogles.

Turns out he didn't homebrew this himself. He just found it and it meshed with his interests. Still, I've let him know that I feel it wouldn't gel with the mood I'm trying to set for this campaign. I haven't explicitly said "no," but I'm trying to steer him towards something a bit more conventional.

Swordgleam
2010-01-31, 07:43 PM
If you don't want to make the guy feel singled out, you could just say, "I've decided that I'm not going to allow any homebrew material into the game, just to make everything easier and keep everything balanced." Unless there is some homebrew stuff you really want to allow.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-31, 08:40 PM
Well, I told him that I didn't think the plushie would work well. His response?

Ok, no problem.

Guess that solves that problem. Thanks for the advice. :smallsmile:

GenPol
2010-01-31, 10:24 PM
Well, I told him that I didn't think the plushie would work well. His response?

Guess that solves that problem. Thanks for the advice. :smallsmile:

Hah, that's funny. Well, good luck with your campaign anyway :smallbiggrin:

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-31, 11:33 PM
Now he want's to play a kobold, basically as a homage to Deekin Scalesinger.

I approved it. :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2010-01-31, 11:36 PM
Well, so long as it's an homage to Deekin...

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-31, 11:50 PM
seriously what kind of weird fetish inspired someone to make these things in D&D?

Damn, if I ever do a Plancescape campaign I have to include a bunch of these things running a brothel in Sigil. That'll REALLY mess with my players' heads. :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

Asbestos
2010-02-01, 12:32 AM

You know, I really hate these weird races that are essentially "Do whatever you want free" cards. They're like kender. I had a player in my group a couple of years ago who didn't get the idea of "epic fantasy story, serious plot, consequences for failure." He would have absolutely loved that race.

These are probably only slightly more irritating than Kender.

Oh what is this? This is the problem with Wikis:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Teddy_Bears_(4e_Race)

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Swinling_(4e_Race))
Seriously, the Swinling...

"Physical Qualities

The swinlings are a race of creatures that seem to be derived from the common domestic pig. They appear like humans, but slightly shorter and smaller in stature, and with the floppy, fleshy ears and snout-like nose of a pig. In addition, they typically have dark brown or black fingernails and toenails Their hair colors and eye colors vary as much as humans, but there is one curious thing about this race. All swinlings are beautiful. All but the most racist members of other races would admit that, apart from the nose and ears, a typical swinling is gorgeous. The men are hard and handsome, the women slender and gracious."

And you were wondering about plushy fetishes?

Honestly so many of those homebrewed races are possessed with "unearthly beauty" that is sickens me.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Fundle-Grundles_(4e_Race)
The name is what gets me.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Cowborn_(4e_Race)
Cowborn? They have a racial power that lets them give their healing milk to people?

I blame it all on the furries.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-01, 12:37 AM
There's nothing on those pages you linked to. :smallconfused:

Asbestos
2010-02-01, 12:40 AM
There's nothing on those pages you linked to. :smallconfused:

Fixed, apparently a ")" was outside the url.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-01, 12:49 AM
Now I wish I hadn't brought it up! :smalleek:

Tengu_temp
2010-02-01, 01:00 AM
I find it amusing that most of these races are not only absurd, but also incredibly overpowered.

Kylarra
2010-02-01, 01:13 AM
(F) Cowborn is free infinite healing potions...

Mando Knight
2010-02-01, 01:56 AM

"Physical Qualities

The swinlings are a race of creatures that seem to be derived from the common domestic pig. They appear like humans, but slightly shorter and smaller in stature, and with the floppy, fleshy ears and snout-like nose of a pig. In addition, they typically have dark brown or black fingernails and toenails Their hair colors and eye colors vary as much as humans, but there is one curious thing about this race. All swinlings are beautiful. All but the most racist members of other races would admit that, apart from the nose and ears, a typical swinling is gorgeous. The men are hard and handsome, the women slender and gracious."

Egads. Can you say pig fetish? :smallyuk:

potatocubed
2010-02-01, 02:33 AM
a typical swinling is gorgeous.

Especially when barbecued. Mm-mm, bacon.

Edea
2010-02-01, 03:38 AM
Just...not Taddols. Anything but Taddols (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=59989&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=2547).

Mordokai
2010-02-01, 04:42 AM
I am... not sure I want to know how mating of an ettin and eladrin looks like...

Ok, probably no less weird than all the other matings that produce various half and quarter breeds, but still... ye gods high above!

Colmarr
2010-02-01, 05:18 AM
Shameless plug time.

Zousha, I'm currently reviewing Scales of War one encounter at a time on my blog (see sig). It's a work in progress and I'm only mid-way through Siege of Bordin's Watch, but hopefully there's something useful in there for you.

Killer Angel
2010-02-01, 05:28 AM
I'm planning on running a PbP Scales of War campaign on another forum, and I've been trying to recruit players. So far I've got one definite yes and one maybe. The one whose said maybe appears interested in playing a particular homebrew race:

Eijilund Plushies (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Eijilund_Plushies_%284e_Race%29)

I agree that it wasn't a great idea, but at least, we all know that plushies can fight (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0025.html).

GenPol
2010-02-01, 07:03 AM
I am... not sure I want to know how mating of an ettin and eladrin looks like...

Thank you for that image...

*Falls over dead*

Blackfang108
2010-02-01, 09:28 AM

I'm afraid that won't work. They're resistant to fire.

Use Plamsma. It's hotter, and bypasses their resistances.

incubus5075
2010-02-01, 11:49 AM
The plushie is the stupidest thing i have ever seen. Is this guy like a 9 yr old girl or something? Sorry if mean but serously whiskey tango foxtrot kind of acid is this guy on?

Mystic Muse
2010-02-01, 05:07 PM
The Plushie should be VULNERABLE to fire not resistant. It also takes two different racial abilities and combines them which isn't fair at all.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-01, 05:09 PM
The plushie is the stupidest thing i have ever seen. Is this guy like a 9 yr old girl or something? Sorry if mean but serously whiskey tango foxtrot kind of acid is this guy on?

The guy's just kinda weird that way. That said he's a good enough roleplayer to give it at least some sense, rather than using it as an excuse to be completely off the wall. As I said, in another roleplay he plays a plushie shinigami (of the Bleach variety), but he plays the character in a responsible way. Of course in that particular roleplay everyone's concept's a bit weird. In that one I play an alien supermodel with a navel piercing that alters her appearance.

In the Scales of War game, however, he's going to be playing something a bit more conventional:

MEEPO! (I colored him)
http://roleplay.evilleagueofvillains.com/gauntletkoboldsm.jpg
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Meepo Bluescale, level 1
Kobold, Ranger
Build: Two-Blade Ranger
Fighting Style: Two-Blade Fighting Style
Background: Occupation - Thief (Thievery class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8.

AC: 15 Fort: 15 Reflex: 14 Will: 10
HP: 29 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Dungeoneering +5, Perception +5, Athletics +9, Thievery +10, Stealth +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Endurance +1, Heal, History, Insight, Intimidate -1, Nature, Religion, Streetwise -1

FEATS
Level 1: Lethal Hunter

POWERS
Ranger at-will 1: Twin Strike
Ranger at-will 1: Careful Attack
Ranger encounter 1: Dire Wolverine Strike
Ranger daily 1: Jaws of the Wolf

ITEMS
Leather Armor, Adventurer's Kit, Spiked gauntlet (2), Thieves' Tools, Hand Crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (40)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Though it would be interesting to run a ranger with spiked gauntlets when i saw this picture.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-01, 05:12 PM
Umm. ArchPaladin Zousha? what's the name of this guy?

I only asked because I played in a real life campaign where there was a Kobold named Meepo......

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-01, 05:17 PM
Umm. ArchPaladin Zousha? what's the name of this guy?

I only asked because I played in a real life campaign where there was a Kobold named Meepo......

His username is Dire Weasel on the Respite.

Colmarr
2010-02-01, 08:27 PM

There's no real reason to suspect that they're the same player. Meepo was a wildly popular kobold NPC in the 3.0 D&D adventure The Sunless Citadel.

I wouldn't be surprised if hundreds of gamers have been in a campaign with a Kobold named Meepo :smallsmile:

Mystic Muse
2010-02-01, 08:32 PM
There's no real reason to suspect that they're the same player. Meepo was a wildly popular kobold NPC in the 3.0 D&D adventure The Sunless Citadel.

I wouldn't be surprised if hundreds of gamers have been in a campaign with a Kobold named Meepo :smallsmile:

ah okay.

Never mind then. I asked already anyway. Not anybody in my group.

Asbestos
2010-02-02, 03:12 AM
Just...not Taddols. Anything but Taddols (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=59989&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=2547).

They are very mechanically messy too. Not the best work of those at Aluria.

They do a lot of weird stuff though, like the Squole. (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=61522&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=2547)
That dude looks like a Gummi Person.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-02, 12:59 PM
[/url]
That dude looks like a Gummi Person.

these mannequin-like slimes

you were close anyway. he's a Jello person.:smallyuk::smalltongue:

Blackfang108
2010-02-02, 01:40 PM

Kobold? No.

Kobold Skeleton, that was our Dread Necromancer's most common summoned Undead? Yes. (Anytime Meepo was summoned, the Necromancer rolled REALLY WELL on Meepo's attack rolls.)

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-02, 01:46 PM
The only way I'd ever even think about letting that Plushy race into a campaign is if every single member of that race looked like this:

http://ui21.gamespot.com/692/kuma_2.jpg

Kylarra
2010-02-02, 01:47 PM
The only way I'd ever even think about letting that Plushy race into a campaign is if every single member of that race looked like this:

http://ui21.gamespot.com/692/kuma_2.jpgThat is a pretty awesome looking bear...

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-02, 01:53 PM
That is a pretty awesome looking bear...

It technically fits the original fluff too (Kuma is bat**** insane after all).

Mystic Muse
2010-02-02, 01:55 PM

http://ui21.gamespot.com/692/kuma_2.jpg

for me, no, not even then

Dire Reverend
2010-02-22, 12:47 AM
Hello, person asking about the plush race here.
I requested the race before i heard about the serious setting he wanted, and if the setting was told to me before i asked, i wouldn't have asked.
In actuality, I am into undead/constructs more than plushies. I was just throwing the question around.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-22, 01:00 AM
...Why didn't you say so? I could've suggested a warforged or a revenant.

Dire Reverend
2010-02-22, 01:09 AM
I know about both types. I just also wanted to play as a kobold.

Akal Saris
2010-02-22, 01:57 AM
Probably as a homage to the Sunless Citadel, Meepo is also a kobold hero in DoTA. He's incredibly annoying to play if you don't practice him a lot, since he splits into 4 heroes, and if any of the 4 die, all of them die.

Just putting tat out there :smallcool:

Dire Reverend
2010-02-22, 02:31 AM
ive heard tons about DotA, but never played it when I played WCIII
((That is, assuming when you say DotA you mean "Defense of the Ancients".))

greenknight
2010-02-22, 05:41 AM

Hey, I wouldn't have minded that so much if they'd based it a bit more on Pigsy (http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/p/pigsy.htm).