PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been sneak attacked with a Bag of Holding?

C.Penguin
2010-01-31, 03:59 PM
Is it possible to sneak attack a person with a bag of holding and trap them inside it? This has happened in our group twice to the same person and he is getting pissed, although everyone else (myself included) think it is extremely funny.

...Thoughts?

Temotei
2010-01-31, 04:05 PM
I have not.

A DM can house rule anything really, so it's possible to do that. I would allow a Reflex save to avoid it. Maybe even an attack of opportunity.

Of course, that's assuming the bag has enough volume and weight capacity to hold the person.

Touchy
2010-01-31, 04:06 PM
He should learn to deal with it. It might just come from heavier roleplaying(I play in a hobby shop, so roleplaying is low), but in 4e, I teleported inside a dragon as a kobold, I died and got revived every turn.

I nearly vomited laughing, and so did everyone else.

Jack_Simth
Is it possible to sneak attack a person with a bag of holding and trap them inside it? This has happened in our group twice to the same person and he is getting pissed, although everyone else (myself included) think it is extremely funny.

...Thoughts?
Umm... there's nothing in the rules for that occurring. If the person in question is small enough to fit in the opening, I can see an argument being made for making it happen (it'd be about as tricky as putting a bag over someone's head), but it's a really dangerous precedent, as players can get bags of holding, and there's that pesky suffocation rule in there.

AKA, if the player wants the DM to knock it off, he should equip the entire party with bags of holding, get a wand of invisibility, and start knocking off NPC's that way. Or, you know, discuss it with the DM, instead.

Dr.Epic
While we're on the topic of bags of holding, I always wanted to make an evil cleric/necromancer who carried around his undead minions in a bag of holding. They don't need to breath and I can't even begin to imagine how funny giving them out to my enemies would be.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 04:10 PM
While we're on the topic of bags of holding, I always wanted to make an evil cleric/necromancer who carried around his undead minions in a bag of holding. They don't need to breath and I can't even begin to imagine how funny giving them out to my enemies would be.

That would be hilarious. :smalleek:

Dr.Epic
2010-01-31, 04:34 PM

You could also do the same thing with constructs though undead popping out of a small sack like clowns from a car is much more funny.

Frosty
2010-01-31, 04:56 PM

Yep, and in fact has been suggested as an example in the DMG2. Btw does your forum name refer to an old japanese shampoo commercial?

Temotei
2010-01-31, 05:18 PM
Yep, and in fact has been suggested as an example in the DMG2. Btw does your forum name refer to an old japanese shampoo commercial?

Nah. It's my name in Japanese. :smallamused:

Bibliomancer
2010-01-31, 05:21 PM

...Thoughts?

I think that it would be really hard to do that with a Bag of Holding (due to the small opening and low overall volume relative to the mass being added - imagine trying to sneak up on a cat and shove it into a bag barely larger than the cat with an opening barely wider than the cat is tall). To reflect that, he should probably get a DC 15 Reflex Save to avoid it. Alternatively, you could grapple him, pin him, and then put him in the bag.

It would be a lot easier to do with a portable hole (child's play, in fact) due to the fact that the opening is 4 feet wide and the volume is so large (picture trying to drop a huge weightless, stiff bag around a cat, then close it). That probably wouldn't give him any save at all, or DC 30.

In either case, he would be able to make an opposed strength check to open the bag, probably.

Lysander
2010-01-31, 05:22 PM
Sneak attack doesn't seem right since you aren't stabbing an organ. Maybe base it off a grapple check to force them in the bag?

Also, if someone is going to suffocate anyway they might get spiteful and stab the wall of the bag, killing themselves but ruining the bag of holding. They'd also have access to anything else of yours in the bag.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 05:24 PM
Sneak attack doesn't seem right since you aren't stabbing an organ. Maybe base it off a grapple check to force them in the bag?

Also, if someone is going to suffocate anyway they might get spiteful and stab the wall of the bag, killing themselves but ruining the bag of holding. They'd also have access to anything else of yours in the bag.

I believe by "sneak attack," the OP meant "attack catching the opposition unawares."

Bibliomancer
2010-01-31, 05:33 PM

Hypothetically, since it's an extradimensional space, there is no wall to stab. There would just be the edge of the pocket dimension. They could, however, try to force the bag open, and would probably be able to keep enough of it open that they did not suffocate.

Beorn080
2010-01-31, 05:39 PM
Let him carry your portable holes. Then when he gets shoved in the next bag, remind the DM that he's just pretty much killed everyone. Either the DM plays by the book and lets everyone die, or he undoes it and tries something else.

Bibliomancer
2010-01-31, 05:59 PM
Let him carry your portable holes. Then when he gets shoved in the next bag, remind the DM that he's just pretty much killed everyone. Either the DM plays by the book and lets everyone die, or he undoes it and tries something else.

You can layer a portable hole in a portable hole with no effect, so if they switch to whatever he has, nothing happens (the rule only applies to portable holes + bags of holding).

Also, I doubt that they'd be using a bag of holding if any of them had a much larger portable hole.

Fiery Diamond
2010-01-31, 06:15 PM
Nah. It's my name in Japanese. :smallamused:

Timothy? extra characters

Lysander
2010-01-31, 06:32 PM
Hypothetically, since it's an extradimensional space, there is no wall to stab. There would just be the edge of the pocket dimension. They could, however, try to force the bag open, and would probably be able to keep enough of it open that they did not suffocate.

There actually is a wall. It's still a bag inside, just a really big bag:

If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever.

Myou
2010-01-31, 07:09 PM
Timothy? extra characters

That would be more like Timoshi.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-31, 07:52 PM
I thought this would discuss using the abnormal weight of Bags of Holding for improvised weapon damage...

Ravens_cry
2010-01-31, 08:08 PM
I thought this would discuss using the abnormal weight of Bags of Holding for improvised weapon damage...
Wouldn't work. The stuff is tucked away in an extradimensional space,it would be like attacking someone with a back with a hose attached to it leading to a large tank of water and expecting all the weight of the water in the tank to provide extra oomph for your swing.
Flying over someone and dropping (shrunken) boulders on them held in the bag of holding so you can carry more is much more feasible.

Dexam
2010-01-31, 08:17 PM
Relevant linkage. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofHolding)

If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever.
Nothing in there about being killed, merely "lost forever". Personally, if DMing, I would rule that they would emerge somewhere randomly on the Astral Plane when the Bag is pierced; so unless the affected person has Plane Shift or some other form of planar travel, they're pretty much stuck there forever.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-31, 09:08 PM
Yep, and in fact has been suggested as an example in the DMG2.

Really? Damn I thought I came up with that idea first. I definitely didn't know about it being in their until now.

Roupe
2010-02-02, 03:24 AM
Dimensional Anchor, could prevent that bag of holding attack.

Splendor
2010-02-02, 05:27 AM
A bag of holding is about the size of a nice big trash bag, could you really imagine just walking up behind someone and getting it over their head and down to their feet? Maybe if you were really smooth with bagging. Exotic weapon proficiency and opposed grapple checks? -4 penalty due to the size of the bag?

Once inside the character could easily just cut the bag and ruin it. It even says in the description of bags of holdings "...if sharp objects pierce it (from inside or out), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents are lost forever." Now you and me know this, but someone throws a bag over me my first instinct would be to cut my way out. If I was playing in character that's what I would do.