PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Spell List

Temotei
2010-01-31, 06:33 PM
So umm...0-level spells seem to be missing. Is it just me? Did I miss something in the book? Can they choose any 0-level spells for their list?

JoshuaZ
2010-01-31, 06:38 PM
So umm...0-level spells seem to be missing. Is it just me? Did I miss something in the book? Can they choose any 0-level spells for their list?

That means they don't have any zero level spells. This is true for a lot of classes. For example, Dread Necromancers don't have any zero level spells either.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 06:39 PM
That means they don't have any zero level spells. This is true for a lot of classes. For example, Dread Necromancers don't have any zero level spells either.

Not true. The class itself has 0-level spells listed on both the table and in their spellcasting class feature.

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-31, 06:42 PM
You are probably looking at the wrong list. The full duskblade spell list is on page 24. The later list is just the duskblade spells that are new in PHBII.

JoshuaZ
2010-01-31, 06:47 PM
Not true. The class itself has 0-level spells listed on both the table and in their spellcasting class feature.

Hmm, ok. Today's lesson: Don't comment about classes I'm only vaguely familiar with.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 07:07 PM
You are probably looking at the wrong list. The full duskblade spell list is on page 24. The later list is just the duskblade spells that are new in PHBII.

Ah. Thanks much. :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2010-02-01, 01:08 AM
Yeah, the full Duskblade spell list is fairly easy to accidentally skim over if you're not interested in that "Duskblades in the World" and "How to Roleplay a Duskblade" crap. They shouldn't have put it at the very very end of the class description.

Just so you know that I feel your pain, bro.

Temotei
2010-02-01, 01:59 AM
Yeah, the full Duskblade spell list is fairly easy to accidentally skim over if you're not interested in that "Duskblades in the World" and "How to Roleplay a Duskblade" crap. They shouldn't have put it at the very very end of the class description.

Just so you know that I feel your pain, bro.

Hehe. :smallbiggrin:

I can roleplay my own duskblade, thank you very much, Player's Handbook II! :smallamused:

Master_Rahl22
2010-02-01, 05:16 PM
I originally passed over Duskblades cause I didn't like any of those new to the PHB2 Duskblade spells. Then I read a Duskblade handbook over on BrilliantGameologists that was talking about Shocking Grasp and True Strike and Color Spray and eventually I found the real Duskblade spell list. Very easy to do, with it being crunch in amongst the "ignore me I'm fluff" part of the class.

arguskos
2010-02-01, 05:30 PM
Before the thread purge, there was a thread by Fax Celestis and our very own Roland St. Jude about expanding the Duskblade spell list to incorporate the Spell Compendium and a few other sources. Happily, I have the list they produced saved. Check it out:

Duskblade spell list Expansion:
L0
Caltrops
Electric Jolt
Know Greatest Enemy
Launch Item
Stick

L1
Corrosive Grasp
Critical Strike
Deafening Clang
Fist of Stone
Ie Dagger
Lightfoot
Nerveskitter
Nightshield
Persistent Blade
Phantom Threat
Rhino's Rush
Snowshoes

L2
Battering Ram
Bladeweave
Body of the Sun
Bristle
Combust
Daggerspell Stance
Delusions of Grandeur
Fireburst
Flame Dagger
Infernal Wound
Ironthunder Horn
Mountain Stance
Rainbow Beam
Scorch
Shadow Spray
Weapon Shift
Wracking Touch

L3
Belker Claws
Body Blades
Clarity of Mind
Diamondsteel
Find the Gap
Knight's Move
Know Opponent
Moon Blade
Ring of Blades
Spectral Weapon
Spider Poison
Steeldance
Sppress Breath Weapon
Unluck
Whirling Blade

L4
Bands of Steel
Blindsight
Displacer Form
Flame Whips
Forcewave
Frost Breath
Lion's Charge
Mind Poison
Vulnerability

L5
Acid Sheath
Aura of Evasion
Charge of the Triceratops
Emerald Flame Fist
Fireburst, Greater
Girallon's Blessing
Ray Deflection
Translocation Trick

I know it has nothing to do with what the thread's about, but I LOOOVE offering it to people, since srsly, it's a good thing to expand their spell list some.

Blackfang108
2010-02-01, 05:32 PM
How did Shivering Touch not make it on that list? That spell just BEGS to be Full Channeled.

The_Snark
2010-02-01, 05:40 PM
Because the last thing anyone wants to do is encourage people to use Shivering Touch more often?

deuxhero
2010-02-01, 05:42 PM
Huh I thought "become pun-pun, win D&D" would be behind shivering touch on that.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-01, 05:59 PM
How did Shivering Touch not make it on that list? That spell just BEGS to be Full Channeled.

I'd allow it as a 5th level Duskblade Spell, personally. There's enough ways to render it worthless that it won't outright ruin the game.

arguskos
2010-02-01, 06:21 PM
I'd allow it as a 5th level Duskblade Spell, personally. There's enough ways to render it worthless that it won't outright ruin the game.
At those levels, yeah, I might permit it as well.

Boci
2010-02-01, 08:26 PM

But its still an all or nothing, unless there some form of DR for ability damage. I usually houserule that its a penalty to Dex, but that makes it a lot less useful when full channelled.

Ormagoden
2010-02-01, 09:43 PM

Because that's giving a Duskblade an I win button.
At level 13 they can full attack channel a touch spell they know....
So at lvl 13 that's a possibility of what 9d6 dex damage + whatever damage the attack normally does? at 15 that's a possibility of 12d6 dex damage. Geez. Good thing they don't have it.

olentu
2010-02-01, 10:12 PM
Because that's giving a Duskblade an I win button.
At level 13 they can full attack channel a touch spell they know....
So at lvl 13 that's a possibility of what 9d6 dex damage + whatever damage the attack normally does? at 15 that's a possibility of 12d6 dex damage. Geez. Good thing they don't have it.

I believe there is a restriction of the spell only working once per creature hit in the full attack or something like that. So it would be lots of dex damage but spread over several targets and one could do similar or more focused with metamagic.

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-01, 10:40 PM
Before the thread purge, there was a thread by Fax Celestis and our very own Roland St. Jude about expanding the Duskblade spell list to incorporate the Spell Compendium and a few other sources. Happily, I have the list they produced saved. Check it out:

Duskblade spell list Expansion:
L0
Caltrops
Electric Jolt
Know Greatest Enemy
Launch Item
Stick

L1
Corrosive Grasp
Critical Strike
Deafening Clang
Fist of Stone
Ie Dagger
Lightfoot
Nerveskitter
Nightshield
Persistent Blade
Phantom Threat
Rhino's Rush
Snowshoes

L2
Battering Ram
Bladeweave
Body of the Sun
Bristle
Combust
Daggerspell Stance
Delusions of Grandeur
Fireburst
Flame Dagger
Infernal Wound
Ironthunder Horn
Mountain Stance
Rainbow Beam
Scorch
Shadow Spray
Weapon Shift
Wracking Touch

L3
Belker Claws
Body Blades
Clarity of Mind
Diamondsteel
Find the Gap
Knight's Move
Know Opponent
Moon Blade
Ring of Blades
Spectral Weapon
Spider Poison
Steeldance
Sppress Breath Weapon
Unluck
Whirling Blade

L4
Bands of Steel
Blindsight
Displacer Form
Flame Whips
Forcewave
Frost Breath
Lion's Charge
Mind Poison
Vulnerability

L5
Acid Sheath
Aura of Evasion
Charge of the Triceratops
Emerald Flame Fist
Fireburst, Greater
Girallon's Blessing
Ray Deflection
Translocation Trick

I know it has nothing to do with what the thread's about, but I LOOOVE offering it to people, since srsly, it's a good thing to expand their spell list some.

I've added to that list at least once upon request. Someone asked what spells are in Complete Mage might be duskblade appropriate:

Hmm, buffs, rays, movement enhancements, and touch or weapon delivered spells are most consistent with the duskblade list. Off the cuff...

Complete Mage
Assassin Spells
Bloodletting (1)
Catsfeet (1)
Summon Weapon (2)
Rusted Blade (3) (or (4) as per Wiz/Sorc list)
Unseen Strike (4)

Wiz/Sorc Spells
Steam Jet (1)
Escalating Enfeeblement (2)
Heart of Air (2)
Tenacious Dispelling (3)
Heart of Water (3)
Prickling Torment (3)
Heart of Earth (4)
Crypt Warden's Grasp (5)
Touch of Vecna (5)
Heart of Fire (5)
Tactical Teleportation (6) as (5)

Very cautiously, I might suggest the following in an otherwise highly optimized campaign...
Adamantine Wings (7) but as (5)
Unicorn Heart (7) but as (5)

I didn't even consider the WuJen or Hexblade spells nor the divine ones. And this is quite off the cuff based on the short descriptions and my memory.

As for what we were trying to do:

Seems like Fax and I put together a list a while back of spells that were in line with the types of spells Duskblades get, but were from other sources. These are the kind of spells already on the duskblade list - the spells we think WotC would have put on the list if they could have. (They generally write each supplement as if only it and core exists so that it doesn't require other books to use.)

So it isn't about what's super-powerful so much as extending the list to other reasonably similar choices.

arguskos
2010-02-01, 10:43 PM
Yeah, that's what I was trying to find. I've seen that thread before, but couldn't find it via the Search function (entering duskblade spell list didn't find that thread). Thanks Roland.

Swooper
2010-02-01, 10:46 PM
Before the thread purge, there was a thread by Fax Celestis and our very own Roland St. Jude about expanding the Duskblade spell list to incorporate the Spell Compendium and a few other sources. Happily, I have the list they produced saved.
Very interesting. I like it. Did they happen to expand any other spell lists that got left out of the Spell Compendium (Hexblade comes to mind, particularly - as does poor Healer)?

arguskos
2010-02-01, 10:49 PM
Very interesting. I like it. Did they happen to expand any other spell lists that got left out of the Spell Compendium (Hexblade comes to mind, particularly - as does poor Healer)?
Well, considering Mr. Gunslinger himself responded, with links to the thread, you can check it out for yaself! Also, no. It was pretty much Duskblade or bust, IIRC.

jokey665
2010-02-01, 10:51 PM

I made my own (http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AcAugfauJp7uZGM3amZzNzZfMjM3aGtyNHM1ZnE&hl=en) Healer expanded spell list (Note: link also contains the duskblade list already posted in this thread, lol).

Swooper
2010-02-01, 11:26 PM
Well, considering Mr. Gunslinger himself responded, with links to the thread, you can check it out for yaself! Also, no. It was pretty much Duskblade or bust, IIRC.
Ah, he posted right while I was writing the question. Still - thanks :smallsmile:

arguskos
2010-02-01, 11:27 PM
Ah, he posted right while I was writing the question. Still - thanks :smallsmile:
'sall good. Der St. Jude is somewhat sneaky like that.