PDA

View Full Version : Ambidexterity , peach and bananas and all that

Mikka
2010-01-31, 09:12 PM
Ambidexterity

Either through intense training or innate talent, you can use both hands with equal maneuverability, giving your character the option of a very different style of two-weapon fighting.

Benefit: As you no longer have any 'off-hand' you may use your full strength bonus in whatever hand you wield your weapons single-handed, without an 'off-hand' it also means that you're always considered to be wielding a light-handed weapon in terms of two-weapon fighting penalties. You still take the normal -2 on attacks with both hands.

Furthermore two-weapon fighting comes naturally to you and does not require great dexterity to use properly. You may from now on ignore all dexterity requirements for two-weapon fighting feats.

Special: A fighter can select ambidexterity and a bonus feat

I'm afraid it might be a little too powerful, but splitting it up into two feats is too much as well.

And compared to the other ambidexterity feats i've seen that give immense no brainer bonuses (completely removing two-weapon penalties, essentially +2 to all attacks and more) I think i've done alright.

This opens up to something COMPLETELY never seen before. .

a brutal two-weapon fighting warrior, who relies less on pure strength rather than the usual agility and elegance that people normally associate with dual-wielding. Now every strength focused martial character won't necessarily be going the two-hander way, now i just wish there was a way to make two-handed weapon fighting attractive for dex characters, or even more intriguingly single-handed weapon wielding.

Please tell me what you think, constructive criticism, comparisons to regular feats. I know theres a few 'official' feats that compare i little but i can't quite recall them.

Edit: One of my justifications for its power is because two-weapon fighting is already a feat costly path to choose, adding one can be overcome, adding two to make things work is too much and too limiting, even for a pure fighter.

Drolyt
2010-01-31, 10:09 PM
Ambidexterity

Either through intense training or innate talent, you can use both hands with equal maneuverability, giving your character the option of a very different style of two-weapon fighting.

Benefit: As you no longer have any 'off-hand' you may use your full strength bonus in whatever hand you wield your weapons single-handed, without an 'off-hand' it also means that you're always considered to be wielding a light-handed weapon in terms of two-weapon fighting penalties. You still take the normal -2 on attacks with both hands.

Furthermore two-weapon fighting comes naturally to you and does not require great dexterity to use properly. You may from now on ignore all dexterity requirements for two-weapon fighting feats.

Special: A fighter can select ambidexterity and a bonus feat

I'm afraid it might be a little too powerful, but splitting it up into two feats is too much as well.

And compared to the other ambidexterity feats i've seen that give immense no brainer bonuses (completely removing two-weapon penalties, essentially +2 to all attacks and more) I think i've done alright.

This opens up to something COMPLETELY never seen before. .

a brutal two-weapon fighting warrior, who relies less on pure strength rather than the usual agility and elegance that people normally associate with dual-wielding. Now every strength focused martial character won't necessarily be going the two-hander way, now i just wish there was a way to make two-handed weapon fighting attractive for dex characters, or even more intriguingly single-handed weapon wielding.

Please tell me what you think, constructive criticism, comparisons to regular feats. I know theres a few 'official' feats that compare i little but i can't quite recall them.

Edit: One of my justifications for its power is because two-weapon fighting is already a feat costly path to choose, adding one can be overcome, adding two to make things work is too much and too limiting, even for a pure fighter.

This is a pretty good feat, but a note on balance: It's not even close to unbalanced. Except for some specialized builds two-weapon fighting is subpar, so even if you granted all the benefits you are granting and gave a +2 to attack rolls when two-weapon fighting it would not be overpowered.

lightningcat
2010-01-31, 10:17 PM
I don't know about ignore the dex requirements for the 2 weapon fighting feats, but otherwise this is what I always thought that ambidexterity should have been.

Mikka
2010-01-31, 10:28 PM
I add +50% strength damage to the offhand, further 0-2 from a larger weapon (along with its superior abilities for/against disarm etc)

Hmmm you're right, its not thaaat great. but +2 to all attacks would make it a feat it would be positively retarded not to take.

I don't know about ignore the dex requirements for the 2 weapon fighting feats, but otherwise this is what I always thought that ambidexterity should have been.

Lightningcat, this is to give players more options. Instead of as it is now, limiting two-weapon fighting SOLELY and ONLY for dexterity focused characters.
Now as i said, you can make a strength dual-wielder or hell, you could even make a balanced character who isn't necessarily crazy dextrous but who would like to dual-wield anyways.

In short it gives the option to play a less stereotypical dual-wielder while giving a minor but decent bonus that makes the potential builds more possible.