PDA

View Full Version : Bbeg

Window459
2010-02-01, 12:10 AM
So i have an idea for BBEG and i was thinking of using the True Necromancer build but i cant decided whether for him to be Wizard/Cleric or Sorcerer/Cleric for the start any advice?

Soranar
2010-02-01, 12:22 AM
I'm guessing you get both spellcasting with true necromancer and you're undead focused so try this.

Sorcerer 5/Ur Priest 2/10 True necromancer/3 mystic theurge

feats you need (I don't know the requirements for true necromancer)

iron will, spell focus evil, education (for the knowledge requirements)

add maybe practiced spellcaster x2 (once for each class)

you know cast level 9 sorcerer and priest spells (no domains though), you have rebuke undead (and it's pumped by your high Charisma)

obviously play a venerable lich for stat increases

Temotei
2010-02-01, 12:26 AM
Make sure you take a bunch of feats from The Book of Bad Latin.

Mystic Muse
2010-02-01, 12:29 AM
Make sure you take a bunch of feats from The Book of Bad Latin.

A.K.A Libris mortis.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-01, 12:30 AM
Make him a Dread Necromancer. True Necromancer is terrible. Mystic Theurge is better, and Mystic Theurge sucks.

Temotei
2010-02-01, 12:34 AM
A.K.A Libris mortis.

I should have probably put that in white text. :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, there are tons of necromancer feats in there.

Window459
2010-02-01, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the helpful advice everyone, its mostly cause hes supposed to be part of a 3 man team of very the evil bad asses for my Pathfinder/3.5 game im gunna hopefully be running soon they include a Werewolf Pack Lord Ranger, Vampire Sorcerer/Fighter/Eldritch Knight and of course the before mentioned True Necromancer Lich. I mostly wanna make these guys to be ROYAL pains in the arse to my players *sadistic grin*

KillianHawkeye
2010-02-01, 12:58 AM
Wizard/Archivist or Dread Necromancer/Favored Soul.

Temotei
2010-02-01, 01:01 AM
Factotum can do wonders for the action economy. :smallbiggrin:

Window459
2010-02-01, 01:02 AM
Factotum can do wonders for the action economy. :smallbiggrin:

Source book please?

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-01, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the helpful advice everyone, its mostly cause hes supposed to be part of a 3 man team of very the evil bad asses for my Pathfinder/3.5 game im gunna hopefully be running soon they include a Werewolf Pack Lord Ranger, Vampire Sorcerer/Fighter/Eldritch Knight and of course the before mentioned True Necromancer Lich. I mostly wanna make these guys to be ROYAL pains in the arse to my players *sadistic grin*Again, I heartily recommend against True Necromancer. Dread necromancer is better in basically every way.
From K's Necromancer Handbook:Top Ten Reasons True Necromancers Are Bad

1. At 14th level, you are five caster levels behind in both classes, so if the party Fighter took Leadership, and his cohort got Leadership, he’d actually be bringing more Necromancy to the table than you. As a fighter.
2. You have to take the Death Domain as a Necromancer Cleric, which is a waste of a Domain Slot when you are trying to be good at Necromancy.
3. In the early levels, you postpone your access to Animate Dead by 4 levels.
4. At 8th level a True Necromancer can create, but not control Ghouls. A Cleric at that level can control but not create Ghouls. Guess which is better? At 11th level, the True Necromancer gets the ability to control Ghouls, and the Cleric gets the ability to create them, so there’s no point at which this is advantageous.
5. The only unique ability of the True Necromancer class is unimpressive. Desecrate is a great spell, but it’s also a second level spell.
6. True Necromancers eventually get a bonus to Rebuking – at 17th level they have a +1 bonus to their Rebuking level. But at 7th level they have a 3 level penalty to their Rebuking level. So at low levels when rebuking is good they can’t use it, and at high levels when Rebuking doesn’t matter they don’t care.
7. True Necromancers are always going to have underwhelming Save DCs. Between MAD and the fact that they are often forced to use spells that are 3 spell levels lower than what the single-classed casters can use, they’re going to be out enough Save DC that it shows. A lot.
8. As a True Necromancer you have all the disadvantages of both a Cleric (the gods can take away all your spellcasting at any time), and a Wizard (you have Arcane Spell Failure, preventing you from wearing good armor). Also, your BAB and HPs stink when compared to a Cleric.
9. Control pools from Animate Dead actually don’t accumulate between your two classes. It’ right in the spell, if you cast the spell it considers all undead you control from all castings of Animate Dead, not just your Arcane or just your Divine castings of the spell. Some people say differently, and some even quote CustServ, but when was the last time you won an argument with your DM using the line "some guy on a board said that CustServ told him....."?
10. There is almost no synergy between Cleric and Wizard Necromancy. Any synergy you desperately want to find could be replicated by just taking the Apprentice feat at first level and having some Use Magic Device. Get yourself a couple of Wizard Scrolls or something. It’s a better buy than setting 5 caster levels on fire. Smart cookies can even get the right spell effects off monsters for free, no less.

Edit: Factotum is from Dungeonscape.

Temotei
2010-02-01, 01:04 AM
Source book please?

Dungeonscape.

Ninja'd. :smallcool:

Window459
2010-02-01, 01:18 AM
Thank you Sstoopidtallkid and Temotei221 *honorably bows*