PDA

View Full Version : Spirits of Shadow (IC)

Temotei
2010-02-01, 01:56 AM
The world has been slowly declining over the past year. Kings have died of unknown diseases, assassinations, and old age, ruining the order of kingdoms. Villages and towns have fallen under in terms of economy and population, with ravages of all kinds sweeping through each. Out of all that has happened though, one thing has linked all the happenings. Every time a king, village, or whole ecosystem died, there was a shadowy cloud above, and it seemed there were unnatural shadows wherever the people walked.

Scholars are at a loss, trying to relate the current events to past ones, but nothing has come up in the histories, and no one has come up with answers. Once wise men have gone mad trying to solve this mystery. Once smart men have fallen beneath the soil because of their crazy rants and their habits of random attacks. It's as if the shadows have brought a new plague, ruining the minds of everyone and everything.

You are a group of hardened adventurers, hired by one of the last living kings of the land, where the shadows have not yet reached, although they are arriving on the horizon. Your search for the cause of the shadows and ravages that have run through each county has led you to a dark forest, where you are tracking a man who was said to have been carrying a strange item that seemed to emanate darkness. It's currently heavily raining, and there's an unnatural darkness around the forest, it seems. A great shadow hangs overhead like a cloud.

Spot DC 9: You see something move quickly in front of you from behind one tree to another.
Spot DC 16: You see a man darting from tree to tree on the ground, about twenty feet in front of the group. You can't make out any distinguishing features, or what direction he's looking, but you can see a particular aura emanating off him, as if a large shadow is following him around.

Mangles
2010-02-01, 06:47 AM
St Garoth looks up at the darkened sky shaking his head in sadness. Hopefully this man is not beyond his help. Hopefully he redeems himself in time and gives up corruption. If not he will be ready.

bigbaddragon
2010-02-01, 01:38 PM
Hanorp's eyes glow with a faint red glow as he sees a creature lurking in the shadows: "Be warned, we have company ahead of us". After giving a brief warning of possible danger to his companions he tries to conceal his presence from the creature.

Kira_the_5th
2010-02-01, 02:37 PM
"I noticed." Jeremy said, staring into the trees. He then readied his sword, unsure what the man in front of him would do.

Niezck
2010-02-01, 02:37 PM
I see .... nothing. I'll take your word for it though. Alaar steps forwards, taking the lead of the group incase danger should show itself.

Kira_the_5th
2010-02-01, 02:54 PM
There's a man. Jeremy replied to his ally as he stepped forward. He had some sort of shadow about him, I'm not sure what it was, though.

Temotei
2010-02-01, 02:55 PM
As Hanorp and Akatosh speak, something seems to make a snickering noise. The figure comes out, moving a bit slower now, but much closer to your group. You see a flicker of light reflecting off something, then the shadow disappears.

Listen DC 10: A particularly loud, although muffled (because of the rain) click goes off coming from the creature.

A small crossbow bolt bounces off Akatosh's armor.

Spot DC 14: You see the man shooting a crossbow at Akatosh, then hiding behind a tree about ten feet in front of the group. He has a smile on his face.

OoC: Roll for initiative.

Mangles
2010-02-02, 04:51 AM
"I do not like this. He smiles too wide, this feels like a trap."

Kira_the_5th
2010-02-02, 10:32 AM
If you think it's a trap, we'll just have to flush him out of there, then. I see him, and I've got a plan. Jeremy said, taking a small step to the side. Raising his sword, and speaking a quick word or two, two bolts of red energy erupted from his sword and toward the group's hidden attacker.

(In actions; 5 ft. step to get a better angle, then cast scorching ray.)

Temotei
2010-02-02, 10:33 AM
Indeed? A trap? You believe me so untrustworthy? Come now. You think I would turn down one of my real chances at excitement? Really, I feel quite taken aback at your hostility.

The man pokes his head out of cover, showing a broad smile. Through the darkness, you can see his stark white hair, pale skin, and slightly sharper-than-normal teeth. One of his eyes is yellow, while the other is violet. The shadow that was following him is now settled over him, slightly darkening the area around him. It appears centered on an amulet around his neck.

Rain continues to pour down, but the drops seem to change as they hit the man. While the raindrops on your bodies and armor is fairly normal, the water on the mystery man changes to black.

A second later, the rays flying from Jeremy's hand go straight toward the shadowed man. One ray blasts him right in the chest. He manages to stay directly behind the tree, but you see his expression has changed to one of anger.

One hand appears on each side of the tree, and a second later, you see him top out on the tree, where he raises his hand toward Jeremy. A dark purple and black ray blasts toward Jeremy. It seems to go right through his clothing to his skin, and possibly beyond.

Jeremy: You feel a deep despair for a moment, then as if your heart has stopped. A moment later, the pain leaves, but you feel quite sluggish (4 Dexterity damage).

bigbaddragon
2010-02-02, 11:28 AM
As he sees his ally hit by the creature a feeling of anger is starting ti fill Hanorp and he begins to whisper strange words and points to the creature ... a moment later sparkling dust falls over the creature and sticks onto it illuminating it and making it much easier to spot. After that Hanorp moves away from the creature and speaks in worried tone:

Jeremy, are you alright?

(Action: Hanorp casts Glitterdust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/glitterdust.htm) on the creature (Will save DC 18 or the creature is blinded for the next 6 rounds in addition to being illuminated) and moves 20ft away from the creature)

Temotei
2010-02-02, 12:26 PM
The man is outlined in glittering dust, but it shines slightly less brightly than it should. It still allows him to be seen more easily. You see him close his eyes as well, as the now-black dust covers his eyes. A moment later, he disappears.

Find me now!

Spot DC 29: Leaves rustle in a tree twenty feet from the tree he was previously in, but not enough to make a noise or to alert even a normal person looking directly at the tree.

Kira_the_5th
2010-02-02, 03:12 PM
Jeremy shook himself after getting hit with the black beam. Yeah, Hanorp, I'm fine just a bit stiff. Ohh, look at all the pretty stars! Were'd he go, anyway, My sight's a bit off from getting hit.

(Edit: Also, I think I'm also gonna take a shot at spellcraft to figure out what that was.)

Niezck
2010-02-02, 03:42 PM
Show yourself and face us, coward!

Alaar swings his sword with a flourish, and readies himself for the unknown man to show himself.

Mangles
2010-02-02, 04:46 PM
St. Garoth whispers a short prayer and raises his shield as light starts to shine out from him. He turns to where the man last was and casts detect magic, trying to discern where the man is.

((activating Protection aura and also casting detect magic))

Temotei
2010-02-02, 06:03 PM
He doesn't show. You hear nothing at all, in fact, and you see nothing at all. The air is completely calm, and nothing seems to happen at first. The silence and eerie lack of action lasts for about thirty seconds.

Then another blast of the same type comes from a tree thirty feet from the group, quite far away from the original tree. You can't see the source immediately, but you can tell where it came from based on the direction from which the beam came. This time, it hits Alaar straight in the arm.

Alaar: You suffer a slight pain, then you feel a bit weaker than you did before. Moving your arm relieves the pain, but the weakness stays. (1 Strength damage)

You all see the man, still angry from the fiery rays Jeremy sent his way. You see him spin once, then appear on another tree about another twenty feet back. Saint Garoth's detect magic shows on him throughout his movement, even through the "invisibility phase."

St. Garoth: You detect very strange powers.

Come, my friends! Together, we shall prevail against these...killers!

A creature claws its way up from the ground. It has wings, stained with black, apparently useless as they hang to the creature's side. All over, you see hardly a speck of flesh. Bones are all that remain of this abomination. Its head looks vaguely like that of a humanoid, with spikes coming from its chin. Bony spines line its back and the end of its thin tail. Its body looks like that of a feline.

Closer to you, two humans claw their way from the ground as well. Their weirdly colored skin is stretched, clinging tightly to its body. The shoulders show bones nearly protruding. Muscle mass appears to mean nothing to these creatures.

Niezck
2010-02-02, 06:10 PM
Get behind me!

Alaar* steps forwards, getting the others behind him an under his protection.

*His first name is Alaar, btw :smalltongue:

bigbaddragon
2010-02-02, 07:14 PM
Hanorp moves in line behind Alaar and with the words "This should help" starts his incantation. A moment later his companions begin to feel lighter and full of energy.

(Action: Hanorp moves behind Alaar and casts Haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm)) on himself and his allies. Next 6 rounds the party has extra attack, +1 to attack rolls, AC(dodge bonus) and reflex saves and +30 ft. speed)

Mangles
2010-02-02, 08:56 PM
St. Garoth moves towards one of the Humans and strikes down with his Morningstar onto the humanoid beast.

Temotei
2010-02-02, 09:45 PM
The humanoid, feeling the crushing blow of the morningstar, crumples for a moment, then steps back up. Instead of standing straight up, it hunches over, using its hands for balance like a gorilla.

The odd skeletal beast rears, then leans over forward. At first, it looks like it's bowing, respecting the strength of the group. Then its tail appears over its head, releasing several spikes which fly in a spread, hitting the closest of you--Garoth, and the most forward of you--Alaar. Two large spikes the size of your forearms land in each of you, drawing blood and causing quite a bit of pain. Two spikes fly harmlessly into the ground near Alaar.

The humanoids get up, nearly in unison, both biting at Garoth, who happens to be the closest. Fortunately, both miss in their feverish attempts at an attack.

Garoth and Alaar: You each take 16 damage from the spines.

OoC: Jeremy's up.

Kira_the_5th
2010-02-03, 12:38 AM
Hmm, that skeletal beastie looks like a problem. Let's take care of that one first, shall we? Jeremy ran towards the creature, muttering a few words under his breath and sliding his hand along his sword as he moved. He struck at the winged creature, lightning crackling from the tip of his blade.

(Action: Move action to approach the monster, then a channeled cast Shocking Grasp on the attack.)

Temotei
2010-02-03, 12:49 AM
OoC: Most of us are using the present tense--should we all?

The beast screeches, rearing back. Its claws barely miss Jeremy's head as he ducks away from the slashing blade-like things.

Note: This is before Jeremy's attack, due to movement provoking an attack of opportunity (Large size).
Lightning crackles along the worn bones of the creature, creating new fissures in them. The creature doesn't seem to react, despite the clear damage to its structure.

Hanorp: Hanorp, contemplating the nature of the creatures, and not having to think very hard, realizes the skeletal creature is a deceased manticore. The two humanoids are ghouls. Nothing stands out about any of the undead creatures, other than the fact they crawled out of the ground when called.

OoC: Alaar is up, then Hanorp.

Niezck
2010-02-03, 06:03 PM
Shifting towards the now-identified ghoul, Alaar raises his greatsword above his head and rains down a flurry of mighty blows against the undead before him.

You will die fiend!

Temotei
2010-02-03, 07:16 PM
The ghoul drops dead immediately after the first hit connects from Alaar's mighty hand (OoC: Make sure you calculate with -1 on Strength, in case you forgot).

The ghoul comrade screeches as its fallen ally dissipates into darkness, leaving but a trace of black dust.

bigbaddragon
2010-02-03, 09:11 PM
This day just got a little bit better. With those words Hanorp began to move in a way to place Alaar and Garoth between himself and the remaining ghoul and quickly evaluating the new situation concluded that Jeremy is in the toughest position an the moment. Hanorp raises his finger towards the winged zombie thing and says "Down boy". A second later the ground beneath the beast changes into a greasy and slippery surface that the beast will soon find is not to it's liking ...

(Action: Uses move action to place Alaar and Garoth between himself and the remaining ghoul and than casts Grease (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/grease.htm) that covers all the squares that big winged monster next to Jeremy occupies. Reflex DC 17 for the monster to stay on its feet. Also please refer to how balancing in combat works (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/balance.htm) if need be.)

Temotei
2010-02-04, 11:21 PM
Alaar turns to the screeching humanoid, chopping its head off from the upper jaw. It stays up for a moment, then drops to the ground in a heap, dissipating into shadowy dust as its comrade did just a moment ago. A small wooden chunk is left behind as well. The grass beneath the humanoid dies.

Hanorp's spellcasting releases a thick goop covering the ground a bit of the winged skeletal creature. It trips over itself in an attempt to keep balance, showing next to no grace, falling to the ground in a heap on its side, leaving the beast vulnerable to attack.

The same voice from the man before comes up again, fairly far away this time.

Temporarily.

This time, no blast comes, but rather, you all feel a sense of life love, and the need to look at everything, examining each and every living thing in the area, appreciating their beauty.

Everyone not immune to mind-affecting effects: Will save DC 17 negates: -4 Concentration, Listen, Search, and Spot, and only one standard or move action per round, but not both.

Map: http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/Temotei221/FirstBattlefield.png

EDIT: Alaar gets distracted, barely able to keep his concentration on the fight. The rest of your group look around for a second, but manage to keep cool.

Saint Garoth is up.

Mangles
2010-02-07, 03:40 AM
St. Garoth moves up to stand along side Jeremy. "Somebody take down the source. We can deal with this monster."
He swings his mace at the creature

Temotei
2010-02-07, 04:13 AM
Saint Garoth trips while moving towards the manticore, but the abomination is too busy trying to stand up. The abomination screeches as Garoth's attack barely misses its face.

Listen DC 15: You hear a rustling of leaves to the right of the current enemies.

Jeremy's up.

Kira_the_5th
2010-02-07, 01:24 PM
Alright, then, let's see if I can finish this thing with another Lightning Blade. Jeremy says, as he looked down at the creature slipping in front of him. He slides his hand along the side of his sword, lightning crackling across the edge before swinging it down on the beast before him.

(Action: Channel Cast another Shocking Grasp, and ready to move or something dependent on the listen check)

Temotei
2010-02-07, 03:37 PM
Jeremy's practiced hand brings his blade to bear upon the beast, the lightning and the metal slicing through the large skeletal thing. It does not dissipate into shadows, unlike the humanoids, as the animated bones turn into just plain old bones.

Hanorp: A few leaves fall from a tree, but seem to slow down unnaturally above a bush to your right.
You all hear muttering, although you can't make out the words. The voice comes from the same bush Hanorp is looking at.

Alaar's up.

bigbaddragon
2010-02-10, 05:55 AM
Alaar:
Realizing that his ability to perceive the importance of the situation has been decreased, Alaar shakes his head and curses all out loud promising that this will not go unpunished. He takes a moment to gather himself and judge the situation a bit more before he acts.

Action: Delays initiative to act after Garoth for the rest of the combat.

Hanorp:
While moving away from the bush he looked at he speaks to Jeremy and Garoth in Elven hoping to conceal his words from the enemy:

Alaar seems to have some problem, you two go after the source if you can, I'll try to keep him in one place and delay any additional enemies as long as I am able.

Instantly after that he begins an incantation and soon the shadow creature finds itself trapped in the thick spider web that is trying to stick to the creature's body as if the web itself was alive.

Action: Hanorp uses move action to move to the left and get into position where fallen manticore's body will obstruct the way between him and the newest enemy. Standard action used to cast Web (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/web.htm) on shadow creature, reflex DC 18. The web is cast in a way to cut off the creatures retreat and allow allies to reach the creature without falling in, something like this:
___wwww
__wwwwww
_wwwwwww
__wwwwww
___wwCw
I hope this helps understand how I cast it.

OoC. Guys don't forget that space occupied by fallen undead manticore is still under Grease effect so don't make me make you roll reflex saves :smallbiggrin:. Also don't forget about haste.

Temotei
2010-02-11, 11:09 PM
The muttering sound rises to a crescendo as the web falls on the source. You can't see exactly what it is, but the shape is human. The form, practically hollering now, manages to somehow jump up, catching a tree by the side, then falls down to the web again, avoiding the brunt of the entanglement.

A set of black blades start rotating around the figure, their creation sparking a tiny bit of black light, allowing you a glimpse at a man's face, but it's shadowed--unnaturally so. You see an amulet dangling around his neck.

A moment later, he whips his hands about and says something inaudible. A column of fire shoots down from the sky, burning Alaar severely. You see a bit of a white glint from the trees--the other man's teeth are showing.

Had enough? You didn't think I would take you without a friend, did you?

He points at Hanorp, saying a few dark words of power. A small aura of black encases Hanorp for a couple seconds, then disappears.

Hanorp: Will saving throw DC 18: -4 Intelligence, -4 Dexterity, -4 Constitution. Success. You feel slower both in mind and body for a second, but it passes quickly.

Effects: Alaar takes 24 damage from the fiery column. The blade barrier will cause the amount rolled if stepped through, Reflex for half. Other effect described above for Hanorp.

Mangles
2010-02-13, 07:45 PM
Saint Garoth smiles to himself, "He is not the only one with blades that don't exist." He concentraits and draws a longsword of force out of the air, hurling it at the smiling shadow. "You know that sounded alot better in my head."

casting spiritual weapon against the target smiling shadowy man and casting with Persistent spell for 7 turn attempts

also not sure if its my turn so just posting out of order if thats the case, The damage for the sword is 1d8 + 2 force damage using 1d20+9 as its attack bonus. I can make the rolls whenever it is appropriate or you can.

Temotei
2010-02-14, 03:34 AM
Saint Garoth's spell (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7886163&postcount=51) sword flies toward the shadowed man, slicing him across the stomach.

That all you got, little man?

OoC: Alaar's up.

bigbaddragon
2010-02-17, 01:35 PM
(In case Niezck doesn't show up soon)

Alaar draws to the strength of his inner being to release himself from the foul effects he is suffering at the moment.

Action: Uses Iron Heart Surge to release himself from the effect of the spell that is still in effect on him.

Kira_the_5th
2010-02-17, 02:06 PM
"Wonderful." Jeremy says, looking between the two opponents. "Now there's two of them. Lovely, really. Oh well, let's just work on taking them one at a time, then.

Looking over to the smiling man, Jeremy aimed his sword and fired off two more red beams at the man.

Action: firing a Scorching Ray, both shots at the smiley blade barrier man.

Not sure if I'm next, but whatever, just do it when my turn comes up.

bigbaddragon
2010-02-18, 10:36 AM
Hanorp begins to mutter something indistinguishable and a moment later a ray of dark energy flies towards the newly arrived creature.

Action: casts Ray of Enfeeblement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rayOfEnfeeblement.htm), and moves 20 ft away from the monsters and then hides in the surroundings.

Temotei
2010-02-26, 12:18 AM
Alaar's mind clears, allowing him to battle more freely now.

Jeremy's scorching rays fire toward the blade barrier, aimed at the man in the middle. One dissipates against the spinning blades, exploding in a small fireball against the magic metal. The other hits the man straight in the chest, but seems to disappear in him. A red "armor" effect appears on him for a second, then vanishes. He appears to have taken no significant damage.

Hanorp's ray shoots right through the barrier, but the man barely dodges aside in time to avoid the dark beam.

He turns back, touching an amulet around his neck. He starts to float in the air about twenty feet above the ground. He begins an incantation of many rolled R's, along with some flicks of his dark arm.

Spellcraft DC 16: Obscuring mist, cast between him and the other man.

Spellcraft DC 22: The amulet activates a levitate effect.

The shadowed man drops his smile, perhaps disappointed that no one else attacked him, and instead went for the apparently bigger threat. A quick movement from his direction reveals that he's jumping toward a tree slightly closer to the man with the blade barrier. Another dark beam flies toward your group, hitting Jeremy square in the chest.

Jeremy: [roll0] Dexterity damage.

Kira_the_5th
2010-02-26, 01:39 PM
Alright, this isn't good... Jeremy says, starting to feel extremely sluggish after the second blow from the dark man. I'm gonna need a second to focus...

Action:
Cast True Strike on myself.
I've also been asked to act for Hanorp while bigbaddragon's away this weekend,
so he's going to fire a ray of enfeeblement at the man floating in the air, then go to hide in plain sight again. \
Edit: Also, both characters make spellcraft checks, if possible.

Temotei
2010-03-01, 01:32 AM
I believe it is time.

The newer man's voice is quite deep. He moves through the air, closer to his apparent ally, until he ends up right next to him--within touch's reach.

Indeed.

The smile comes back, even as a ray flies by his face.

Try again. You can reach me at the big...

The voice gradually grows quieter.

black fortress...

Quieter.

with the...

Barely audible.

parapaces that...

Listen DC 15: glow with...

Listen DC 18: shadow...

Listen DC 22: however little sense...

Listen DC 25: that makes.

Listen DC 26: Oh! And here's a present.

As the voice dies down, so does the man. Your vision seems almost blurred, but the rest of the forest is clear, so you surmise it must be some sort of spell or effect like a spell.

Spellcraft DC 21: Word of recall, cast by man with the blade barrier. He's touching his ally's arm, taking him along.

As he disappears, you see him drop a small wooden object, like the one the humanoid contained before. Nothing happens immediately.

The rain continues to pour down.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-01, 05:51 AM
Just when I was about to propose that we should consider tactical retreat they left (scratches head) ... I don't understand, by the impression of his magic power this guy should ... or could have eaten us for breakfast ... or a snack maybe. Definitely something to think about later. Anyone heard what he was saying before he left, i didn't catch all of it?

Saying that Hanorp moves towards the dropped wooden object and his eyes begin to glow with pure white glow.

Action: casts Detect Magic and moves towards the object. Further actions depend on the results of the "scan".

Mangles
2010-03-01, 06:12 AM
"Guess he teleported to the fortress he was on about. What's with the wooden thing. Wasn't there another one around here somewhere." St Garoth goes searching for the other wooden object.

Temotei
2010-03-01, 02:14 PM
Detect magic result (round one): There is a magic aura in the area.
Detect magic result (round two): There are five magic auras. The most powerful one is quite strong.
Detect magic result (round three): The five magic auras all come from the same object--the wooden piece the shadowed man dropped.
Spellcraft DC 15: The magic comes from a different source for every aura. The aura in the top right corner of the wood is universal. The one in the top left is evocation. The one in the bottom left is conjuration. The one in the bottom right is necromancy. The aura in the middle is of a universal magic.
Each aura has a slightly different strength. The one in the top right corner of the wood is the weakest. In the top left corner is the next strongest, then in the bottom left is the next. In the bottom right, the next strongest. In the middle of the wooden object is the most powerful aura.

Detect magic result (round four): You receive a mental image of the auras. http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/Temotei221/EmpireofShadowSymbol.png

OoC: You don't have to concentrate that long if you don't want to.

St. Garoth comes across the wooden piece the humanoid monstrosity dropped before. Touching it sends a cold chill through your body.

Hanorp's detect magic will reveal the same things about this wood.

Effect: You suddenly gain knowledge of a low-power spell: ray of frost. You may use it infinitely, but you get the feeling using it too much would be a bad idea...

Mangles
2010-03-01, 04:14 PM
The chill running through St Garoth makes him pull his hand back. He picks the wooden object up and turns it slowly in his hands, than closes his eyes and when they open they shine with golden light.

casting detect evil and looking at the wooden thing

bigbaddragon
2010-03-01, 06:33 PM
After spending some time studying the object and its auras Hanorp tries to remember if this reminds him of something and tries to inspect the auras a bit further hoping to get lucky and maybe learn more about the object.

Action:
Roll knowledge arcana check (it seems the one appropriate, if not Temotei please roll the appropriate check for me if it is on my list). This is followed by casting of Read Magic in order to try and identify the spells that may be in effect on the object. I won't roll the spellcraft check for "Detect magic result (round three):" because I can't fail it.

Temotei
2010-03-03, 10:17 PM
Detect evil result (round one): The area emanates evil.
Detect evil result (round two): There are five evil auras. The most powerful one is quite strong.
Detect evil result (round three): The five evil auras all come from the object. Each aura has a slightly different strength. The one in the top right corner of the wood is the weakest. In the top left corner is the next strongest, then in the bottom left is the next. In the bottom right, the next strongest. In the middle of the wooden object is the most powerful aura.

Detect evil result (round four): You receive a mental image of the auras. http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad223/Temotei221/EmpireofShadowSymbol.png

OoC: You don't have to concentrate that long if you don't want to.

If Saint Garoth and Hanorp compare their respective pieces of wood, Saint Garoth's is colder and (if you detected X for at least three rounds): the aura in the bottom right seems a little more pronounced and powerful on Saint Garoth's object. Hanorp's object is darker and (if you detected X for at least three rounds): the aura in the top right is more pronounced and powerful on Hanorp's piece of wood.

Hanorp: You realize that you've seen this symbol before in an obscure place you'd visited on the hunt for the shadowed man. Or at least, part of it. The (at least three detect magic rounds): top right aura/(at least four): purple aura was burned into the head of the dead king of the outward region.
Your great knowledge also reveals that this symbol may represent the man who dropped the wooden piece, based on previous evidence. Perhaps with it, you could gain some of his power, or use it against him in some way. For now, any possibility is undiscovered, but in the future, you know to remember this object.
The other symbols could correspond to other people, but you don't know them off the top of your head. In fact, the only one you do know is the shadowed man, and that was because he's probably the least experienced. Maybe the other man is related somehow?

Mangles
2010-03-04, 02:15 AM
After studying the wooden object Garoth turns to the others. "This is a thing of evil, and I'm willing to bet that your one is too. We should find a way to destroy them, or atleast use them to destroy their creators." Garoth stretches his fingers trying to warm them up. Turning to Hanrop "Did yours do anything strange to you."

bigbaddragon
2010-03-09, 03:59 AM
About evil ... I don't know for sure but you're most likely right.

(Hanorp now turns to others so they can hear him as well.)
The thing that is realy fascinating about these objects is that multiple magical auras can be discerned on each of them ... and as I can see one of them is more pronounced on each piece, probably representing one of the guys that just left. Anyway, the piece I picked up has something to do with one of the dead kings from those outward regions if my memories are correct ... there is a strong connection between the symbol that was burned into dead king's head and the aura of this peace. We should do some research and see if we can find something similar in the recent happenings and for this purpose I recomend returning to more urban areas. I'll try to identify these things tomorrow morning but until then no touching with bare hands, in fact, no touching at all is better.

Mangles
2010-03-09, 05:31 AM
"Well its too late for that. Buy your right, less touching is better." Garoth puts the object in his pack. "Shall we?"

bigbaddragon
2010-03-09, 05:58 AM
Alaar took some nice beating and Jeremy got it pretty tough too, but by his reactions I guess that those rays smiley man threw at him were not meant to damage Jeremy physicaly but more likely the state of Jeremy's body and mind. You should take care of them before we move out. If I can help somehow just let me know.

Kira_the_5th
2010-03-09, 04:18 PM
"Help would be appreciated, yes. Jeremy says, sagging a little. He seemed to make me slower every time he hit me with that beam of his. Could you do anything about that?

Mangles
2010-03-10, 06:20 AM
St. Garoth says a small prayer and touches his shield before resting his now glowing hand on each member of the group in turn. "That should cover your wounds in the next few minutes, but I have nothing to restore your strength Jeremy. Tomorrow I will seek guidance and have what you need."

casting lesser vigor on everyone but me. I have fast healing and didnt take much damage so will be ok soon anyways. I can gain lesser restoration tomorrow when i pick up the bonus spells i forgot to add.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-11, 05:14 AM
Now that we are patched up to a degree we should look for a place to rest tonight, its nearing night time.

Mangles
2010-03-11, 05:59 AM
"A good nights rest will make us all feel better. Anyone know a good place close by?"

knowledge roll (don't know the appropriate one) [roll0] to find out if there is anywhere suitable near by. If not a town than perhaps a ruin or easily defensible point.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-12, 03:23 AM
Over here guys, this place looks a bit better protected from the rain. We also have some yellow berries (points to the bush) for desert after dinner, at least if they are not poisonous or something ...

Temotei
2010-03-13, 04:31 PM
As Hanorp points at the berries, a rustling noise comes from the bush. It's quite loud, so you gather the thing moving must be either very clumsy or very afraid.

The rain starts to slow, making it easier to see and hear.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-14, 02:11 PM
Hanorp raises his hand and signals his allies to stay still. Turning to the elf hiding in the bush he speaks in elven:

"Don't worry we are not here to hurt you, we chased away the one that did that to you and we can help with your wounds."

Saying that Hanorp makes a slow advance to the wounded elf while hanging his up till then readied bow over his shoulder.

"Its alright now, you can come out of that bush ..."

Temotei
2010-03-14, 11:59 PM
The elf stops crying, but instead starts to hysterically yell. You notice the red symbol glowing now.

No! No! Don't come near me! I'll kill you all! Stay away, beasts! Aggghhhhh!...

He falls over, unconscious.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-15, 04:44 AM
Garoth, this poor soul is wounded and needs your attention. If you're out of healing spells I have some pearls of power to get those back. Also look at his hand guys, it looks like that shadowy bastard did this to him.

Mangles
2010-03-15, 08:18 AM
"Yeah you guys used it all up for tonight. If we are going to help him lets bind him first. I don't want him waking up and stabbing me in the night." St. Garoth takes a pearl of power but before channeling its power into him to heal the elf he checks if the creature is worthy of it.

Garoth casts detect evil and watches the creature for several rounds, if the elf shows as being evil he tries to determine if it is the mark on its hand or the elf itself. if the elf is not evil he will then cast lesser vigor using the pearl of power

Temotei
2010-03-15, 11:41 PM
Saint Garoth: The symbol registers as a rather powerful evil force; however, the elf does not register as evil at all.

The elf is wearing fairly ordinary cloth and moccasins. Of note, around his neck is a tiny locket, on his back is a bow with a broken string, strapped to his side is a knife (obviously not built for combat, but rather for use as a tool), and around his head he wears an olive green headband with a symbol representing a rather small, but strong, town called Valorn, one of the most recently attacked cities. It seems he survived the carnage there.

Mangles
2010-03-17, 02:24 AM
"His not evil but i still say we bind him and take his belongings. We don't want a stabby elf in the night, plus it might provide a queue."

bigbaddragon
2010-03-18, 01:37 AM
He looks harmless to me, he is wouded and tired, his weapons are obviously of no real use and he has suffered enough already from shadowy man and the image of his town and most likely the majority of his friends and family destroyed.

Lets not make him endure more than he needs to at the moment. - Hanorp says in sadened voice.

It should be enough to just pay some more attention to him while taking our watch turns and take away his would be weapons. I could take the first turn if that is ok.

Hanorp now turns to Garoth:
Tomorrow morning I'm going to try to identify those two pieces we've got for we've got no better lead at the moment. Can you prepare some countermeasure in case those things are cursed or something?

Mangles
2010-03-18, 11:03 PM
Garoth sighs. "Your right, but if your wrong than next time we do things my way. Don't worry about the spells, I'll have more tomorrow, but if there is a curse I probably already have it."

Temotei
2010-03-18, 11:27 PM
You are not a curse...

The elf is quietly talking in his sleep.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-19, 04:10 AM
Its a deal Garoth. Now lets get the camp ready for the night. I'll take the first watch.

Temotei
2010-03-19, 12:49 PM
As the rest of you prepare to rest, Hanorp stands guard at the edge of your small camp. Insects buzz now, replacing the dead silence that was hanging over the forest. You hear rustling in trees from animals of all sorts, even spotting a few birds and squirrels. Life has returned to this area, but the shadow cloud still hangs overhead.

An hour goes by.

The elf stirs, waking.

Groggily, he addresses Hanorp.

Wha...who...are you? Where am I? What...

His eyes pop open, his nostrils flaring, and he starts to shout. Luckily, the wind keeps his voice deadened enough for everyone but Hanorp to avoid waking up.

WHERE'S MY FAMILY? What fiend are you? You...you're that monster, aren't you? The Bloodstorm! I...I have to escape from you and...no. I'll kill you for what you've done!

The elf jumps up and down, swatting at mosquitoes and other insects buzzing around his head. He squishes one.

Ha! I've...no! How are there more of you? This can't be!...doesn't matter...I'll save my family. Yes...that's what I'll do.

Bugs continue to be squished. You notice the red symbol on the man's hand is glowing.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-19, 01:44 PM
I'm am Hanorp, proud member of the group that is sent under the order of king himself to hunt the monsters that are trying to destroy our lands with this shadowy curse (points to the sky) ... the same monsters that did that to you ... the same monstesr we fought and chased away saving your life by doing so.

Hanorp now stands more straight and raises his voice:
And I am no fiend and none of my friends are.

Now be still, you are wounded. In the morning our cleric will help with your wounds. And we'll talk about what happened to you and how you ended up here.

Temotei:
I rolled a 4 for diplomacy ... If the elf calms down Hanorp will try to talk to the elf to further calm him down. If not decision on the course of action will be made when you post the elf's reaction.

Temotei
2010-03-19, 02:01 PM
The elf looks at Hanorp curiously. You notice the red symbol's glowing on his hand is dying down.

My name is Greyvil. You...you did not save me. They were not after me. Those were not the ones. That blade man? He's a necromancer. The other one...he's something...different. Something new.

As is my enemy. He killed my family. THE BASTARD!

His eyes glow red for a moment as his symbol glows once again. He jumps toward the mosquitoes, flies, and bees, attempting to kill everything flying around his head as if they were his enemies.

I'LL KILL HIM!

Every time he smashes one bug, he looks at it, confused, then continues.

bigbaddragon: Diplomacy failed, obviously.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-20, 11:54 AM
Hanorp decides to take a risk and approaches Greyvil, kills one bug and tosses it before his feet and then turns to him.

You are right, we will destroy them all and avenge all our dearest that fell before them. We must know more about them ... we must know how to strike them where it hurts the most ... we must prepare (puts a hand on Greyvil's shoulder) ... and you ... are the key to that ... to their destruction ... you know more of them than anyone alive. Get a hold of yourself Greyvil! This lands, those who are still alive and those that fell need you more than ever now! Every darkness can be defeated with light. Let the light in you come out ....

Temotei
Before approaching the elf I'll cast Light spell (level 0 cantrip) on my right hand glove and conceal it in my sleeve. Left hand will be used for bug killing. The right hand will be put into play when Hanorp puts his hand on the elf's shoulder.

I presume some check is in order again. Repeated diplomacy makes sense you?

Temotei
2010-03-20, 02:06 PM
That...you...

Greyvil stares at Hanorp for a good five seconds, then tilts his head.

By the gods, you're right.

He looks down at the now not-glowing symbol on his hand.

Cut off my hand, please. Don't hesitate.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-21, 08:51 AM
A man of divine purpose and power is traveling with me. If you want lets let him try do something about that in the morning. If there is nothing he can do I give you my word I'll do what you ask of me. In the meantime don't look at it ... lets cover it with some bandages and rest for now.

Temotei
2010-03-21, 11:04 AM
...I suppose. I just don't want to hurt anyone.

Greyvil walks farther away from the group and plops onto the ground, ready to sleep.

Greyvil is about 40 feet away from Hanorp and 45 feet away from the group.

Hanorp is 20 feet from the group.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-21, 12:53 PM
I see what you are afraid of but you don't have to go that far away from the camp. It will be easier for me to watch over you and my friends if you are closer to the camp. Lets do it like this (Hanorp pulls out his magic bedroll), you sleep in my bedroll, it will protect you from this weather and it takes some time to get in or out of it so if you lose control again I'll have enough time to notice that. If you want we could even tie your legs before you get in the bedroll. How does that sound?

Hanorp spreads his bedroll 15 feet from the group.

Temotei
2010-03-21, 01:27 PM
You are most kind, Master Hanorp.

The elf saunters over to the bedroll and quickly shoves himself in.

Really. I must thank you again.

Soon, Greyvil is fast asleep.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-21, 01:45 PM
Hanorp now picks a spot where he is no more than 10-15 ft away from the both the elf and his allies and conceals himself.

Action: hide check.

When the time comes and if there are no further interruptions he will wake Garoth for the next watch turn and tell him what happened. And also kindly ask if he can use Garoth's bedroll :smallsmile:.

Temotei
2010-03-21, 04:00 PM
No interruptions arrive or occur for Hanorp's whole watch.

Mangles
2010-03-22, 04:20 AM
"Why can't you use your own bed." St. Garoth looks over and sees the elf. "Any trouble with him?" Garoth picks up his shield and morningstar.

bigbaddragon
2010-03-22, 07:16 AM
He woke up once and was delusional, he talked about killing those monsters that did that to him and his town, friends, family. I managed to calm him down by telling him that those friends need him now more than ever. He knows something about those guys we fought, said one of them was a necromancer, we should definitely talk to him when he wakes up.

When he looses control the symbol on his hand starts to glow. We covered it with some bandages so he doesn't have to look at it, it seems to be the thing that is driving him mad. We should try to do something about that in the morning. Sadly, if we fail I've made a promice to cut off his hand ... a promice I would rather not keep if there is a way not to.

Other than that there were no interruptions. So ... may I use your bedroll during your watch?

Mangles
2010-03-22, 09:04 AM
"Yeah go on. We'll need to be well rested for tomorrow." Garoth dons his armor and begins a circular patrol around the campsite.

Temotei
2010-03-22, 04:06 PM
The wind picks up, blowing away natural clouds to reveal shadowy clouds above them. It appears they are here to stay.

The elf continues to sleep, although a few whimpers slip through his mouth. He's saying things like "kill," "demons," "fiends," and "blood." Between every word is the word "darkness" or "shadows."

The elf wakes up, but doesn't move. You can see his eyes wide open, though.

Mangles
2010-03-22, 04:23 PM
Garoth walks over to the elf and sits down beside him. "What is it elf? You should be sleeping."

Temotei
2010-03-22, 04:40 PM
The elf doesn't respond, but you hear him quietly saying something.

Don't touch her. Don't touch her. Run. Run. Don't. Run. Don't. Run.

He stops for several moments, then explodes out of the sleeping bag.

I saw her! And I saw him, and him, and him! They're doing it again! Again...

A tear runs down the elf's cheek. When it reaches his chin, his face hardens as he grinds his teeth together, side to side.

They will pay for what they have done. I must kill them. When are we leaving?

Mangles
2010-03-22, 06:05 PM
"When we are all rested, if you want any help from the gods. Go back to sleep. We will wake you when we make preparations.

Temotei
2010-03-22, 07:17 PM
Fine.

The elf pouts a little, but falls asleep soon.

Saint Garoth's watch is uneventful for some time...

OoC: How long are each of these watches?

Mangles
2010-04-01, 07:05 AM
St Garoth finishes his 8 hour vigil and goes and wakes up Hanorp. "Its your turn again. I need to go and pray before the sun rises." He takes his shield and lays it in front of him. Pressing one hand onto the holy symbol. He sits and prays.

bigbaddragon
2010-04-01, 07:14 AM
Ok, go on, I'll watch over. when you finish I'll prepare my spells and then we'll se if we can do something about the elf (nods in Greyvil's direction). If not ... I'll have to do something I don't like.

OoC
Mangles, can you take over my character from tomorrow till monday evening? I won't be anywhere near the internet for a few days.

Temotei
2010-04-01, 10:55 PM
The only possible danger Hanorp detects is a rustling. Ready to spring, the patrolling party member sees a bushy tail swish out of a nearby bush. A moment later, a squirrel rushes out.

Nothing else of note happens, as the elf seems to be out cold.

bigbaddragon
2010-04-02, 02:59 AM
Hanorp is waiting for st. Garoth to finish his prayers and watching over both him and Greyvil. During Garoth's prayers Hanorp will check up on the elf to see if he is ok. Will not wake the elf though. After Garoth finishes his prayers Hanorp will prepare his spells.

OoC:

Spells are updated on the character sheet. Identify is memorized only once because I have two pearls of power that can give me back one first level slot I've spent. I've also deleted two pearls that will be spent in order to try and identify what those two pieces me and Garoth hold do. See you guys in a few days :smallsmile:, have a nice weekend.

bigbaddragon
2010-04-06, 01:57 PM
As soon as Hanorp completes his daily spell preparations he addresses his allies:

I'm gonna try to identify what these accursed pieces do. Watch over me for the next two hours.

OoC:
Hanorp casts Identify spell on those pieces. Percentages in order to reveal if the items are cursed will be rolled ... 6% chance though :smallannoyed:

Mangles
2010-04-06, 05:51 PM
Garoth stands having finished his prayers. "Well I'm ready to go. How is the elf?"

bigbaddragon
2010-04-07, 12:15 PM
He was sleeping the last time I checked. Can you check on him while I identify these pieces?

Mangles
2010-04-07, 07:19 PM
"Sure." Garoth heads over to the elf to check on how he is doing. He sits down beside him.

is the elf still asleep or awake

Temotei
2010-04-07, 08:06 PM
Hanorp: OoC: I'm confused by what you mean about the 6% chance and why you rolled the percentage dice. I'm also going to assume you have the pearl required and you've partaken of the mixture for the spell components.

You find that the item Saint Garoth held gives supernatural knowledge of a low-power spell: ray of frost. You may use it infinitely while holding the object, but your spell tells you using the power more than three times in a day will cause the object to freeze your hand (Reflex save DC 14 to drop object). Not even magical fires will melt this ice. The only known way to remove the effect is to cut off the hand, break the ice (thereby shattering several bones, leaving the hand useless for some time), or with very powerful spells.

The object you were holding originally seems to only work in perfect darkness. While in such areas, you gain a +2 bonus to Charisma, but you suffer from light sensitivity if exposed to sunlight or the spell of the same name.

The elf appears to still be asleep, although his dreams seem to be disturbed.

Saint Garoth: [roll0]

The symbol on Greyvil's hand is glowing through the wrapping. Apparently, covering it won't suppress its effects for too long...

Mangles
2010-04-10, 01:35 AM
Garoth wakes the elf as gently as he can. "Don't fret your still with us. The gods have blessed me with some strength today. Shall I try to heal you of the curse?"

Temotei
2010-04-10, 01:51 AM
Greyvil stirs from his slumber. Garoth's soft speech seems to calm him.

No...no. I will die in two days. If you attempt to remove this accursed symbol from my hand with simple magic, not only will you fail miserably, but you will take it unto yourself. I could not bear it. Please, do not try it.

No...the only way to get rid of this is to defeat the one who created it and use his power to remove it.

He shudders.

I do not wish to face him again. He is fearsome. The only reason I lived through one encounter was because of a brave gnome who had been living with me for some time. His name was Bippol. Poor guy.

I do not wish to burden you with my depression. Are we leaving now, since we're apparently all up?

bigbaddragon
2010-04-15, 06:34 PM
What do you mean by saying you'll die in two days Greyvil? What exactly do you know about that on your hand and the one that did that to you? Also you mentioned a gnome named Bippol, what was you relation to him and what became of him?

Lets dwell on that for a bit ... and there may be a way to deal with your hand. Two ideas are crossing your mind right now...

Saying this Hanorp sits next to Greyvil and offers him some food.

Mangles
2010-04-16, 10:36 PM
"What if we were to rid you of the hand or would you still be stuck with the curse?"

Temotei
2010-04-16, 11:28 PM
A bloody man did this. It was as if he smelled our blood. This big guy tracked us from who knows where to our home and slaughtered innocent men, women...even children. Everyone died except me.

The elf tears up.

I couldn't save anyone but myself. This curse is a result of my survival. This...monster killed my family, friends, acquaintances...everyone. Then he branded me.

Hesitation.

My blood doesn't flow to this hand anymore. That means I have two days left. I will die, regardless of whether you chop my hand off or not. The manner in which I die will change, depending...

Greyvil's tears flow down in a torrent now, practically flooding his face. The drops are slightly red. He starts to hyperventilate.

Thank you, Hanorp, you kind sir. I must eat.

Mangles
2010-04-17, 03:28 AM
Garoth waits for the man to finish eating before standing up and brushing himself off. "Well two days isn't much but how hard could that guy be to find. Tell us what you know of him, maybe there is a clue there?"

Temotei
2010-04-17, 11:38 AM
Greyvil starts to talk with his mouth full.

Mphe's a mphter. Big amnd mphary (he swallows), tough, and quite the hunter. He loves blood, of all things, from what I can tell. Perhaps (on the p, food stuck on his teeth flies out) it lures him. Of all the...

The elf stops talking abruptly mid-sentence, as if listening. He looks deeper into the wood curiously, then worriedly.

We should move. There's something here.

bigbaddragon
2010-04-18, 07:33 AM
What did you sense Greyvil? Who do you think is there?

Temotei
2010-04-18, 03:00 PM
"A friend of an enemy lurks in shadow." We either move now or fight here.

The elf twiddles his thumbs nervously.

Mangles
2010-04-18, 06:40 PM
"We didn't have much luck with the last fight. We should go and see what we can find out about this bunch before we get into any more fights. Prehaps the church will know about this cult."

bigbaddragon
2010-04-19, 03:23 AM
Indeed we didn't have much luck. Best not to test it again already.

Greyvil, do you sense which direction he is in? And what more can you tell us about that fighter? What kind of weapons and armor he uses? Does he fight alone? Anything you think would be useful to counter that menace.

Temotei
2010-04-21, 10:58 PM
I...don't know. He works for the empire. His weapon of choice is a big chain. He's so...crazy. Blood is his fuel.

Greyvil pauses for a moment, his eyes glazing over.

That way.

The elf starts to run off to the northeast. A well-known dwarven community lies in that direction in a mountain cave.

Mangles
2010-04-22, 04:58 AM
"Common, lets go before this elf gets himself into trouble. He is the best lead we have so far."

bigbaddragon
2010-04-22, 09:24 AM
Agreed, lets go.

Temotei
2010-04-23, 05:24 PM
The grass beneath your feet and the bushes and trees in the wood sway with a strong gale blowing with you (causing slightly increased travel speed).

Yes, yes. This way. Quickly. No, this way.

Greyvil starts running around in circles.

You feel as if something is watching you, but looking around, nothing seems to be out of place.

bigbaddragon
2010-04-24, 06:45 AM
Hanorp stands for a moment and tries to ignore the mess Greyvil is making. After a few moments needed for the concentration he tries to examine their current surroundings a little better.

Action: Spot & listen.

Temotei
2010-04-24, 12:01 PM
Hanorp: There is a goblin crouched behind a bush nearby. You can hear him, but the words coming out of his mouth are unintelligible.

bigbaddragon
2010-04-24, 03:09 PM
Hanorp pretends he didn't see the goblin. Instead he closes to Garoth and speaks silently in elven:

Watch out we have company, there is a goblin in that bush over there. He probably poses no danger for us but lets be careful and approach him from two sides.

Saying that he puts some distance between himself and Garoth and waits for him to try and surround the goblin together.

Mangles
2010-04-24, 05:32 PM
Garoth follows Hanrops lead, drawing his mace and trying to step as lightly as he can.

Temotei
2010-04-25, 01:10 AM
The elf will become us.

The goblin starts walking toward Greyvil. The elf doesn't respond. Out of the bushes come several other goblinoids. There are nine goblins, four hobgoblins, and two bugbears. One goblin is obviously a shaman. The rest seem to be warriors with various weapons and armor on. All of the goblinoids are facing you from the direction you came from.

An arrow nearly hits Garoth in the head as it whizzes by, but it hits a goblin in the chest. It stumbles back, but stays standing.

Listen Checks: Jeremy: [roll0]
Garoth: [roll1]
Hanorp: [roll2]

Initiative Order:
Jeremy (21)
Hobgoblins (16)
Marroar's Force (14)
Marroar (12)
Garoth (8)
Hanorp (5) [+3]
Goblin Shaman (5) [+2]
Goblins (3)
Bugbears (1)

Each hobgoblin slowly moves forward. Their eyes are red and they seem...off.

OoC: Garoth's turn.

Mangles
2010-04-25, 09:15 PM
St. Garoth channels divine energy and forces invisible bindings against the goblin shaman. He gets ready to move with Hanrop.

casting extended hold person against the goblin shaman a

marjan
2010-04-26, 12:06 AM
Drop your weapons and surrender. Marroar and his men move toward group of goblinoids with their weapons drawn.

OoC: Double move toward the group.

bigbaddragon
2010-04-26, 06:22 AM
Whoever you are protect the elf!

Saying that Hanorp turns to the hobgoblins: You will not make one more step forward!

A strange muttering comes from Hanorp's mouth and a moment later the hobgoblins find themselves covered in spider web.

Casts Web on hobgoblins DC 18 reflex save. After that Hanorp retreats 40 ft towards Greyvil and draws his bow.

Temotei
2010-05-01, 01:48 AM
DM Only: Goblins -- Fighter 2
Str: 13 (+1)
Dex: 16 (+3)
Con: 13 (+1)
Int: 10 (+0)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 6 (-2)

HP: 23 (11 + 9 + 3)
AC: 18 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +3 studded leather, +1 light shield), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Init.: +3
Attack: Masterwork longsword +7 melee (1d6+1) or shortbow +6 ranged (1d4)
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Toughness

Hobgoblins -- Fighter 2
Str: 18 (+4)
Dex: 14 (+2)
Con: 14 (+2)
Int: 12 (+1)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 8 (-1)

HP: 25 (12 + 10 + 3)
AC: 18 (+2 Dex, +4 chain shirt, +2 heavy shield), touch 12, flat-footed 16
Fort: +5
Ref: +4
Will: +0
Init.: +2
Attack: +1 longsword +7 melee (1d8+5) or +1 longbow +5 ranged (1d8+1)
Feats: Power Attack, Lightning Reflexes, Toughness

Bugbears -- Bugbear 3/Fighter 1
Str: 20 (+5)
Dex: 13 (+1)
Con: 16 (+3)
Wis: 12 (+1)
Cha: 8 (-1)

HP: 38 (11 + 6 + 6 + 11 + 4)
AC: 19 (+1 Dex, +3 natural, +5 +1 chain shirt)
Fort: +6
Ref: +6
Will: +2
Init.: +1
Attack: +1 greataxe +9 melee (1d12+6) or +1 composite (+5) longbow +5 ranged (1d8+6)
Feats: Power Attack, Lightning Reflexes, Improved Bull Rush

Goblin Shaman -- Dragon Shaman 5/Cleric 1
Str: 10 (+0)
Dex: 14 (+2)
Con: 14 (+2)
Wis: 16 (+3)
Cha: 18 (+4)

HP: 18/47 (12 + 10 + 6 + 8 + 7 + 4)
AC: 24 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +9 +1 full plate, +2 heavy shield)
Fort: +7
Ref: +6
Will: +10
Init.: +2
Attack: +1 morningstar +5 melee (1d6+1) or +1 heavy crossbow +7 ranged (1d8+1)
Feats: Lightning Reflexes, Iron Will, Eschew Materials
Auras: Energy shield (4), power* (+2), presence (+2), senses (+2), vigor (2)
Domains: Strength, War
Equipment: Cloak of Charisma +2

Saint Garoth's spell stops the goblin shaman for a moment, but it shakes its head and moves behind its big bugbear bodyguards.

One hobgoblin manages to jump up as the web entangles his allies. He smiles at Hanorp evilly.

The shaman who managed to avoid Garoth's spell waves his hands, touching one of the bugbears in front of him. It smiles with rotten teeth at the group of you--especially Greyvil--as it grows even larger.

Each goblin rushes forward to meet an opponent. Six are occupied by the new entering force (marjan's brigade). Two attack Saint Garoth. The last leaps on Marroar. All but one of the force Marroar had with him were hit. Three of them fall over bleeding on the ground. The others are heavily wounded, practically fainting on the spot. Fortunately, both Garoth and Marroar avoided the charges skillfully.

The enlarged bugbear starts walking forward through the web, going straight for Hanorp and Greyvil, ignoring Saint Garoth. Its feet are stuck, however, on Hanorp's web.

Most of the hobgoblins look fairly distressed except for the jumper. One manages to struggle his way out of the web and move forward about ten feet toward Marroar. The jumper drops his weapon, taking out a longbow and firing once at Hanorp. The arrow goes flying off into the distance, missing by a mile.

Rolls: Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Critical Confirmation: [roll2]
Critical Damage: [roll3]

OoC: The rest of the rolls were made on an off-site dice roller. It's Marroar's group and then Marroar, followed by Garoth next.

marjan
2010-05-01, 02:45 AM
Marroar looks at his men, then looks at goblins fighting them: You are going to regret this., then attacks.
Actions:
Swift action - switch to martial spirit stance. Standard action - attack goblin in front of him with Crusader's strike (if it hits heal for d6+5 one of warriors and heal one of commoners for 2 hp). Move action - if goblin falls move toward one attacking his man standing.
Also every goblinoid in 20ft of me should roll will save for Aura of Menace.

Mangles
2010-05-02, 08:59 PM
Garoth draws on his gods power once again, surrounding himself with a shield of blades and light.
casting extended divine retaliation and activating nimbus of light

Mangles
2010-05-07, 04:57 PM
He moves to the shaman and swings his mace down upon him.

[roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] holy damage (assuming evil)

bigbaddragon
2010-05-12, 08:19 AM
Hanorp trows some dust in the shaman's direction and the shaman and bugbears are now all covered in silver dust. After that he retreats towards Greyvil another 20ft.

Casting glitterdust on shaman and bugbears. Temotei, although you said that I could cover them all please note that glitterdust area is 10x10 ft ... so you decide who is caught and who isn't. Also during his retreat Hanorp will utilize his stealth skills:
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

EDIT: glitterdust is 10ft radius. This mistake was spotted by marjan.

EDIT2: Will save DC 18 for glitterdust :smallsmile:

Temotei
2010-05-17, 08:54 PM
Marroar's blade sinks deep into goblin flesh, leaving behind it a wide gash. The goblin doesn't even have time to react emotionally before it drops dead on the ground. Nearly every goblin around Marroar is looking up in fright, ready to run if need be.

Several of the goblins attempt attacks against Garoth, but they all miss--including the bugbear the cleric passed, although that attack nearly left a dent in Saint Garoth's armor.

For all the trouble he had getting to the shaman, though, it turns out to be worth it. Garoth's mace smashes into the goblin, leaving it bloody and favoring one arm. The bugbears are unable to defend the goblin shaman properly.

Hanorp's dust covers the shaman's eyes, making him squeal in protest. He starts shaking and scratching at his eyes. The closest bugbear bodyguard is unaffected, it seems, but it doesn't even know where the dust came from, leaving it thoroughly confused and with less faith in his allies.

Goblin shamans are generally known for mystic powers and shadow summoning, but this one seems a bit different. This difference is confirmed a moment later when acid spits out of the shaman's nose and mouth right at Saint Garoth in a nearly unavoidable line. The dwarf's reflexes save him from most of the pain from the acid, but a tiny bit still touches him, burning the skin on his face slightly.

The remaining goblins mostly look too scared to act properly, now a bit clumsy in their attacks against Marroar's force. That doesn't stop the relatively untrained people from getting hit, however. A warrior takes a hit to the shoulder while a commoner is disarmed quickly. Fortunately, the others seem to be doing well enough against the goblins. Another green one falls.

The bugbears' attempts at protecting the shaman aren't going too well so far. The one stuck in the web pulls out a big bow, readying an arrow to fire at Greyvil through the group of warriors, commoners, and adventurers. Despite all the protection Greyvil is offered, the arrow strikes true, burying itself deep into Greyvil's stomach, launching him down to the ground. It seems he's unconscious. The other bugbear launches itself forward at Garoth, attempting to push him past the shaman. Garoth almost stays in place, but the bugbear proves to be too much even for the powerful dwarf. The shaman sees an opportunity and takes it. Garoth's armor saves him once again, protecting him against the shaman's feeble, obviously magical (:smalltongue:), morningstar as the weapon stops against the opposing metal.

The hobgoblins continue to be stupid, trying to shamble forward out of the web, but being unable to, except for the jumper. It shoots once again, this time the arrow striking true against one of the warriors. She drops. The same mover from before breaks through the web once again, this time getting out of it to attack Marroar. Its longsword attack slashes perfectly into the crusader, the metal sinking into flesh, causing a nice, prolonged, painful bleeding.

Rolls: Acid damage: [roll0]
Garoth Reflex: [roll1]

Bugbear bow attack: [roll2]
Bugbear bow damage: [roll3]

Bugbear bull rush: [roll4]
Garoth Strength check: [roll5]

Hobgoblin Strength check: [roll6]
Hobgoblin Strength check: [roll7]
Hobgoblin Strength check: [roll8]

Hobgoblin bow attack: [roll9]
Hobgoblin bow damage: [roll10]
Hobgoblin miss chance (51-100 misses): [roll11]

Damage: Marroar takes 26 damage. Garoth takes 1 damage and is bull rushed away from the goblin shaman by a bugbear with Improved Bull Rush. A warrior is dead.

OoC: So...the only nimbus of light I'm aware of is the 1st-level spell, which requires a standard action. I looked at the church inquisitor and found nothing involving a nimbus of light from levels one through three, so I'm just going to ignore that part until someone can tell me where this new nimbus is from.

marjan
2010-05-18, 02:09 AM
With expression of pain and anger on his face and both feat firmly on the ground, Marroar raises his sword swinging at the hobgoblin that just hit him.

OoC:

Standard Action: use Crushing Bones on hobgoblin (using Power Attack for 3). If the attack hits heal Greyvil for 2 HP, asuming he is in 20ft. of Marroar, otherwise heal one of his men and hobgoblin has to make fortitude save DC19, or every critical confirmation against him gains +4 to roll for one minute.

I'm AFB right now, so I'm not sure if Crushing Bones do +2d6 or +4d6 damage, so I'll roll 2d6 separately.

Mangles
2010-05-19, 06:17 AM
Garoth's slight wound quickly heals over quickly. He smiles and turns towards the shaman. "You will not last long against us. Surrender and seek mercy." With that he releases his shield letting it defend him itself and attempts to strike the shaman again.

bigbaddragon
2010-05-19, 04:09 PM
Hanorp pops out of his concealment only to give them some more headache. He touches the ground and a moment later it seems as something is moving through the grass towards the bugbear near Garoth. The ground beneath him becomes slippery causing him to try hard to stay on his feet. Doing that Hanorp falls back to his stealth skills again and moves away from the place where he touched the ground.

Casts Grease on the ground under bugbear. Grease is 10x10ft so if there is a possibility to include the shaman in the area Hanorp will use it. Reflex save DC 17 or fall prone. If those caught don't have at least 5 ranks in balance they are flat footed while balancing.
Moves 20 ft towards the fight and hides.

Temotei
2010-05-31, 12:32 AM
Marroar's attack smashes into its target, quickly ending the life of a hobgoblin.

Unfortunately, Garoth's attack doesn't follow suit, the distracting environment and a noise distracting the inquisitor.

Why give up when we can simply call on something greater? Surely you didn't believe we would come without help?

The goblin shaman is off balance from the slippery substance at its feet. Attempting to move, the shaman falls over.

Honestly. A bit of gunk won't stop this one, either.

The bugbears around the shaman likewise fall over, but they seem a bit more disconcerted than the goblin.

Goblins swarm Marroar's forces. One leaps on a man, clawing at his face. The untrained warrior swings wildly, chopping off one of the goblin's fingers, but the little green monster continues to attack while holding the man down. Size isn't everything, it seems. The other goblins don't fare so well, most of their attacks missing or sliding off armor and clothing. One of Marroar's force on the ground is stabbed to death.

Hobgoblins aren't usually this stupid, but these...aren't usual hobgoblins. The web continues to hold them fast. Now they don't even seem to be trying hard, instead taking the opportunity to hiss at Greyvil.

Oh, bug off.

The elf has a certain sense of vigor around him. He starts speaking gibberish. A moment later, fire starts in his hand.

I'll see no more death today. You shall die, monsters.

marjan
2010-05-31, 09:42 AM
Marroar moves toward the goblin holding one of his men and swings at him.

Move and use Crusader's Strike. If it hits heal one of the injured warriors for 1d6+5 and another one for 2.

Then it's Garoth time.

Temotei
2010-05-31, 12:00 PM
Marroar's sword slices through the puny goblin, tearing his arm off. He stares at it in disbelief, then falls over, twitching.

The warrior claps Marroar on the back, then runs off to cut into another goblin.

Mangles
2010-05-31, 06:31 PM
Garoth advances while the shaman is down. Striking his blow on the fallen beast.

bigbaddragon
2010-06-01, 08:32 AM
Hanorp speaks words of power and his allies begin to feel a force pushing them and making them act faster than their normal capabilities would allow.

Casts Haste on himself, Garoth, Marroar and whichever of other allies he can get into the area. If Hanorp, Garoth and Marroar aren't in 30 feet from each other Hanorp will move to get into better position and then he will cast the spell.

OoC: Somehow I managed to post this in our dice roller thread several hours ago .... no posting early in the morning for me anymore :smallredface:

Temotei
2010-06-02, 01:03 AM
Initiative:
Hobgoblins (16)
Marroar's Force (14)
Marroar (12)
Garoth (8)
Hanorp (5) [+3]
Goblin Shaman (5) [+2]
Goblins (3)
Bugbears (1)

Garoth's attack crushes the goblin shaman's shoulder. A sharp crack echoes through the forest, followed by a screech from the green one. All smugness is now gone from his face, replaced by anger and...fear?

The shaman isn't out yet, however. Hardier than any ordinary goblin, he's able to stand and cast a dark spell, uttering words of power as he does so. A weight seems to come down on the party and the allied warriors and commoners.

The goblins are losing their fight, but one takes a commoner down for good with a quick sword strike to the throat. Only two of the vile goblins remain.

The bugbears are distraught, realizing doom is upon them as they see their allies fall or get stuck. They run into the deeper forest, abandoning their supposed war buddies.

The hobgoblins, not being strong or dexterous enough to escape the webbing, just keep struggling.

OoC: I've reposted initiative for ease of use. The bugbears are out unless you chase them down. Tracking them shouldn't be too difficult, considering they're running full pace.

marjan
2010-06-02, 11:44 AM
Marroar walks toward one of the goblins putting all of his weight behind the swing.

Attack with Bonecrusher.

Temotei
2010-06-06, 11:28 AM
Marroar's swing is one out of the books of legend, able to cleave stone in two. Unfortunately, the goblin dodges out of the way at the last second.

OoC: I was waiting for some other posts to get this down, but whatever. This works just fine.

Note: The goblinoids have different abilities. That's why this goblin can dodge, that's why there's a goblin shaman, etc.

Mangles
2010-06-08, 07:15 AM
"JUST DIE VILE BEAST"
Garoth brings down his morning star again

bigbaddragon
2010-06-08, 08:47 AM
Hanorp shoots from his bow twice at the nearest enemy.

Roll 1: [roll0]
Roll 2: [roll1]

Damage 1: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]

Temotei
2010-06-08, 12:51 PM
OoC: You know what? It's a heck of a lot easier to have you roll in this thread. Please do so from now on. I'm convinced that it's far superior to having a separate thread. I just rolled in that thread for the final time just so Garoth's attacks would be in the same place, with the caveat that the shaman is definitely blinded (I think...:smallbiggrin:), but I have to remember if he succeeded on his Balance check and stayed somewhat up...I also forgot to add the +1 from haste.

Also, if you have sneak attack (read: Hanorp), roll that when you roll damage, regardless of whether you think you're eligible or not. If you aren't, I'll disregard it. If you are, then it's right there and I don't have to roll for it. :smallsmile:

Finally, Greyvil is now in the initiative, going when Marroar's small force does.

Garoth's swings, accelerated by Hanorp's arcane magic, flash down at the shaman. It attempts to dodge, but only manages to squirm out of the way of the first attack on the slippery grease, taking a heavy blow to the face. It looks dazed for a moment, obviously trying to recover from all the hits it has taken, but somehow, the accursed goblin shaman stays up against all odds.

Hanorp's arrows fly true, one landing directly into their targeted goblin. The other, hilariously, flies right by the goblin and into another. Both goblins lie dead in moments.

The goblin shaman quickly rummages through his pockets, finding a wand and using it immediately, the magic from it seeming to wash over the shaman in a blue wave. A cut closes on his shoulder.

Goblins are cowardly. These ones are no different. The last remaining goblins turn and run for the shaman to have the strong one protect them. They get caught in the web.

Several hobgoblins give up, just sitting down in the web. The ones that don't desperately try to break through, moving toward Greyvil still. One manages to get enough webbing off to move after some time pushing forward.

Rolls: [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

marjan
2010-06-10, 09:32 AM
This is your last chance: surrender or you join your friends in afterlife. Marroar says in stern voice while walking toward webbed goblin shaman.

OoC
Double-move toward shaman.

Temotei
2010-06-11, 12:57 AM
The shaman blinks.

Friends? These were never my friends. These are my peons. My pawns. My friends are dead, thanks to that monster!

He points at Greyvil. Nothing will stop me from attempting to avenge them. Not the fear of death...not even death itself, if I am to believe Master Luraisen--and I am.

Let me have the elf and you will be free of a burden you do not yet know. I will save the world from a threat like the last. That threat lives on in him, and yet, you try to protect him. A monster. A victim, but nonetheless, a monster.

Let me have the elf and I will order my force to clear your path through the forest and grant you this. The shaman pulls out an amulet, an unnatural shadow seeming to surround it. It pulses red like blood from a heartbeat.

Trust me, though. I will not surrender to you, protectors of the Bloody! I will not surrender to a killer of my friends! You choose, then: surrender the elf and gain an ancient amulet of vast power or kill me and take it for yourselves, but be left with the...Blood.

Choose wisely.

Mangles
2010-06-13, 03:13 PM
St. Garoth pauses the beating and casts detect evil on the shaman

Temotei
2010-06-13, 03:34 PM
Saint Garoth: First Round: The shaman registers as evil.
Second Round: Two evil auras are in the area.
Third Round: Both auras surround the goblin shaman, but one is smaller, perhaps on an item. Both auras are faint.

Satisfied?

marjan
2010-06-13, 03:42 PM
Marroar raises his showing his men to hold with the attack. What are you talking about? Master Luraisen, monster? I would like to hear your explanation.

Temotei
2010-06-13, 03:54 PM
A man by the name of Luraisen resides in the empire. He is an oracle of sorts...a diviner. He told me I wouldn't die for a very long time.

You protect an elf goblin slayer. He killed my friends and nearly killed me. I have made it my quest to capture him and bring him before my god for judgment. Simple, but satisfying. Just the way I like it.

Luckily, finding him was easy with that symbol.

bigbaddragon
2010-06-13, 06:01 PM
Hanorp lowers his bow and addresses the enemies:

If any of you tries to interrupt this conversation by any sort of attack there will be no mercy for you.

Garoth, some of the wounded may still be alive, can you take care of them first?

Let me have the elf and you will be free of a burden you do not yet know. I will save the world from a threat like the last. That threat lives on in him, and yet, you try to protect him. A monster. A victim, but nonetheless, a monster.

My job is to know that burden, it would be wise to tell us what you know about the thing on his arm.

Mangles
2010-06-13, 08:28 PM
"Hmm. Those worth saving the gods will intervene.....but I will do what I can." Garoth sees to those that are critically injured first. Trying to use mundane healing methods where possible to stabilize someone if needed. "We should not let this evil live for too long."

Temotei
2010-06-14, 01:20 AM
You mean...you don't know. Hehe. You are some unlucky bastards.

That symbol on his arm is an unholy one. Greyvil the goblin-slaying elf is effectively dead, for in a short time, the Blooded will be reincarnated through the symbol on the elf. He will rise up and destroy you. All of you. It will be easy.

I imagine the elf has asked you to accompany him in his last days? 'Tis a lonely path he walks...or so I've heard from Master Luraisen.

The shaman shuffles a bit.

In any case, that elf holds an evil in him not containable by a single vessel. That symbol spells doom for anyone hoping to help.

bigbaddragon
2010-06-14, 04:58 AM
The talks of doom and monsters are quite regular these days. In order to be taken for serious you will have to give some more information on this "Blooded" you keep mentioning.

Temotei
2010-06-14, 01:45 PM
Right you are. I could be lying, for all you know.

I know little. He's male. He's probably human, perhaps with a few...modifications. Most importantly, he has the ability to make "symbols" of blood on others, allowing him to resurrect should he fall. The new vessel suddenly changes to fit his appearance and the old body is lost. The old mind rarely has enough strength to give even a single thought to the "new" one.

My proposal: I take him away; you go about doing what you usually do with some new trinkets and without a burden.

Sense Motive for Hanorp: Something about the goblin is off, but you don't think he's lying about the proposal or the information he's given you.

That hard-to-place something, though...perhaps it's the goblin's intelligence. Not many can speak so fluently.

Mangles
2010-06-14, 06:11 PM
"We could just kill you and take it anyway. Give me the trinket and we will see about you living."

Temotei
2010-06-14, 09:50 PM
Hehe. I figured you would say that. That's not an option. You attempt to kill me and I'll just teleport out of here. I can come back. You can't. Death is...rather unforgiving--especially with that one.

The goblin, despite his talk, steps back a foot to be out of range of a quick strike.

bigbaddragon
2010-06-15, 05:05 AM
There are some things that just don't add up ... You want to take Greyvil yet you couldn't defeat him in the past, in fact you said that he nearly killed you. Both you and your forces are pretty unhealthy right now. The only thing I could possibly think of is that you are supposed to take him to someone, someone with the same shadowy aura that is emanating from that trinket you're offering us!

I will ask once politely ... Who do you work for?

Temotei
2010-06-15, 05:23 AM
I used to work for Naum Vidar. I believe you two have met. He's the one who can...steal your essence. Remember?

The goblin smiles devilishly.

No longer am I chained to him, though. He is surrounded by a very similar aura to this trinket, you are right. It's interesting that you would know of it. No wonder why my small force had trouble.

Master Luraisen is a...guide of sorts. He tells me where to go, but I work for myself. And the gods.

He adds the latter bit almost as an afterthought.

In any case, the elf is weak now. Burdened by a maddening symbol, he will succumb to a fate worse than death before long. I doubt he will cause us trouble beyond what we've seen before.

You hear toes tapping on the grass lightly, impatiently.

I just want the elf. You give him over, and I'll give you anything you want in return that I can possibly give you.

marjan
2010-06-15, 10:20 AM
Marroar listens goblin's words carefully then says: How exactly do you intend to stop the monster residing within the elf? By killing the elf?

Temotei
2010-06-15, 11:24 AM
No. Killing him won't do it--not alone, anyway. We'll have to do some fairly sinister things to him. First, the symbol needs to be separated from a vessel. Cutting off the limb or simply taking off the skin around the symbol will do that.

After that, I don't know. I will be taking him to Luraisen...probably some others, as well.

marjan
2010-06-15, 11:41 AM
How much time is there before monster breaks free?

Temotei
2010-06-15, 11:42 AM
The elf probably knows. Most are aware, or so I'm told.

The time in which I die is no different than before.

Greyvil squeaks as he speaks.

marjan
2010-06-15, 11:54 AM
Marroar looks at elf: That's no answer. I will do what is within my power to help you rid yourself of that monster, but for that I need clear answers. If there is anything you know that would help with that, now is the time to speak.

Temotei
2010-06-15, 12:18 PM
The elf steps back from the goblins, looking a bit shaken.

I don't know.

marjan
2010-06-18, 10:15 AM
Then we'll have to assume there isn't much left act quickly. Marroar turns to goblin shaman and says: If elf decides to go with you, I will accompany him to make sure he is treated properly.

Temotei
2010-06-18, 10:19 AM
...Very well, then. The goblin shaman looks at Greyvil for a moment, then speaks directly to him.

I can't promise you will live through what we have to do. I can promise you will not become a vessel to a tyrant, however. Since your friends here have been so diplomatic... His mouth twitches.

...I'm willing to give you the choice, in spite of that going against my better judgment.

Does anyone object? Dwarf? You?

Mangles
2010-06-18, 05:28 PM
"You have my word that no harm will come to you if you are correct, but I WILL flay your flesh from your bones if this is a trick. "

bigbaddragon
2010-06-20, 07:21 PM
Greyvil, it is up to you to make this decision ...

Temotei
2010-06-20, 07:57 PM
The elf, still holding his weapon, looks at the goblin, then smiles at Hanorp weakly, his resolve from the fight diminished.

I suppose so. If you can get this thing off me, I think we should go with you, goblin. I just hope this isn't a way of getting back at me with some false hope.

I'm not that petty.

Obviously, since you let those "peons" run away with not a single word.

The shaman narrows his eyes for a moment, but any anger Greyvil has invoked seems small enough for the goblin to suppress it.

Very well. Follow me.

He walks into the part of the woods he first came from, entering the bush that first made the rustle starting the fight. His followers stay back and ready a camp, scouts, and watch periods with surprising efficiency, considering their lack of efficiency in combat.

bigbaddragon
2010-06-23, 05:24 AM
As the camp gets ready Hanorp approaches the shaman:

Can you tell me more about Naum Vidar and his companions?

Temotei
2010-06-23, 03:25 PM
Heh. Naum is a unique individual. Affectionately referred to as "soul sucker." Fitting, too. It's said that when he's focused, he can literally steal the power from your soul to fuel his own power. Interesting, but I'd beware of him. Nasty guy.

His companions...well, I would call them "allies." Even then, that's a stretch. They know each other, they help each other in combat, and they even serve a similar cause, but as creatures of evil tend to do, they may turn on each other at any time without regret. Let's see--there's Reise, a thief and assassin, and...the one that did this to the elf. He gestures to Greyvil's arm. I, unfortunately, don't know his current incarnation's name.

He does have one friend, however. His name is Uriel. A necromancer. Quiet man.

Ah. Here we are. Step into that portal. You, large one- The shaman points at Marroar. -go in first. Then your followers. After that, the elf. Then you two. I enter last. The portal will close once I'm through.

The portal is about twelve feet tall and half that distance across. It swirls with blue and purple in the middle, an unseen force beckoning you to enter. Getting closer, a great cold surrounds the gate, as if a freezing winter is stored inside and a little of its weather is leaking out.

marjan
2010-06-23, 03:44 PM
This better not be some trick.

OoC:
Roll for Sense Motive: [roll0]. If I can't tell that he is lying, I'll step through.

Temotei
2010-06-23, 03:48 PM
Of course not. The goblin seems indignant.

Marroar: The portal's cold is an odd factor, but otherwise, the goblin seems to be honest.

Mangles
2010-06-23, 05:04 PM
"As you wish goblin." Garoth waits his turn to enter the portal but is none too happy about their new leader.

bigbaddragon
2010-06-27, 09:45 AM
Hanorp steps into the portal with Garoth when their turn comes.

This "adventure" is getting more and more strange ...

OoC: Into the blackneeeeeeess :smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-07-07, 05:09 PM
OoC:
OoC: Into the blackneeeeeeess :smalltongue:

Right on, dawg. :smallcool:

As you step through the portal, that supernatural cold chills you to the bone. Even the goblin shivers a little when he steps through.

Effect: It's freaking cold. You're uncomfortable and prolonged exposure could lead to stiffness, pain, etc. without any source of warmth.

Colors flash, and suddenly, a freezing wind welcomes you to a small, ice-bathed cavern. Stalactites and stalagmites hang and rise from the cave walls, frozen completely. Not one thing isn't covered in slippery, frozen water except for the creatures in it, including you, the goblin shaman, and several vaguely humanoid shapes in the shadows deeper in the cave.

The shaman leads you slowly forward, one hand tight to his left side. The motion, which would probably go completely unnoticed if you were anybody else, reveals a small glint in the goblin's hand. A quick examination shows that it's a little, translucent colorless rock. Underneath the rock-holding hand is a tiny knife, small enough for a human to easily wield with two fingers, strapped loosely to a generic brown belt.

After a short walk into the cave, the cold is a little easier to bear and the wind hardly reaches you, minus the sound, which echoes loudly. The figures become clearer, all sitting at a makeshift table made of pure ice. From the looks of it, two, one a male goblin with bright red hair and the other a young female human, are playing a strategy game when Mr. Shaman, nodding to each shape once, approaches.

Vera, I have the elf. Greyvil is his name. The symbol is on his arm. These are his companions; they would not leave him.

The female human stands from the game, turning to face you. She's not particularly beautiful, but an aura of exoticness surrounds her, like she's no ordinary woman. Vera takes one big step, putting herself in the perfect spot to examine Greyvil's arm, completely ignoring the lot of you.

Hmm...it's set in pretty deep...I'm not sure I can do anything without causing extreme pain or death.

I'm going to die?

The woman's thin lips push together, making a long, drawn-out line. Not necessarily. There are...methods...of dealing with this type of magic. The creator of this symbol is powerful, however, and without the proper connection to him, I'm afraid you will, without a doubt, die.

I will retreat to my quarters to research once more. Try not to cause any trouble while I'm gone. She departs swiftly. Shortly after, the sitting goblin rises, taking the shaman's rock.

Thank you, Hukle. This will surely aid the effort.

The shaman, now known as Hukle, bows low, then turns to you. Follow me to the "guest rooms," unless you've got questions.

Hanorp: Your knowledge of various arcane magic and the planes leads you to believe the portal was an instant version of astral plane travel. Supporting this theory are several silver lines on this side of the door, both engraved in the side and floating freely in the swirling colors of the portal.

The cave's many frozen stalactites and stalagmites look pretty stable with the ice supporting them, but the rocks themselves seem too thin without the cold to not crumble.

Your current location evades your thoughts, but it does seem vaguely familiar, like from a story of olden times--times before the crisis the world is currently suffering.

Hanorp and Marroar: Vera's statement about Greyvil's symbol calls attention to it, causing you to glance over. It does seem to have sort of melded with the elf's skin more than it had been at first.

bigbaddragon
2010-07-08, 10:06 AM
Maybe I should cut off his arm back then - Hanorp thinks to himself.

That woman ... I'd like to lend whatever help I can with her research and I believe you're assured I'm qualified enough - Hanorp winks at he shaman.

marjan
2010-07-08, 10:52 AM
We will stay with the elf. If you have time, I would like to hear what else you know about Naum's allies, as you called them, in case we are to ever meet them. Also, if we are to go through this together, I would like to know more about you and your companions.

Mangles
2010-07-08, 05:34 PM
I'd just like some warmth. Does anyone have a jacket or some furs around here? I'll check out the rooms and see if I can get the lay of the land. If the elf needs healing just call.

Temotei
2010-07-08, 07:47 PM
OoC:
Maybe I should cut off his arm back then - Hanorp thinks to himself.

That woman ... I'd like to lend whatever help I can with her research and I believe you're assured I'm qualified enough - Hanorp winks at he shaman.

We will stay with the elf. If you have time, I would like to hear what else you know about Naum's allies, as you called them, in case we are to ever meet them. Also, if we are to go through this together, I would like to know more about you and your companions.

I no longer have to copy-paste the post, then type in the number and your name! Multi-quote! :smallbiggrin:

She doesn't take well to company, but, frankly, I'm afraid of you, so I won't stop you. She's in the farthest corner of the cave, so beware of our guard dogs and the other residents in our home.

Naum's allies conceal themselves well, but their work is not so much. That's where most of our information about them comes from. I'm sure our shaman already told you about them, though, correct? The red-haired goblin looks over at Hukle, who nods.

If you're planning against them or their empire, you will most likely meet them all at some point--perhaps when they're together.

As for warmth...I suppose you could hunt down a polar bear outside.

Here. Hukle the shaman walks up and touches Garoth. Warmth exudes from him like from a flame, and the cold doesn't seem so bad. That should do it.

Effect: Endure elements.

What would you like to know about us? Our cave is home to Hukle, Vera, Yilk--that one over there-- He points at a goblin sleeping against a stalagmite. --and Malek. Malek...doesn't like visitors. His sub-cave is down the second path on the left.

marjan
2010-07-09, 01:48 AM
Your motivation for doing this. Would it be safe to assume that your goblin companions are here for the same reason as you? And what about Vera?

Temotei
2010-07-09, 03:23 AM
We are...anti-Empire. All together, we work against the Empire and the Great Shadow to create a land where our kind, and indeed, all kinds, can once again live without fear of extinction.

For indeed, gnomes, elves, goblins, and many other species are dying out because of this plague. We believe the only way to stop it is to stop the Empire.

bigbaddragon
2010-07-09, 07:12 AM
The Utopia idea is as nice as ever, but I think all of us know it is pretty unreachable, there is always gonna be at least one fool who thinks he is better than the rest and deserves more ....

And you don't have to be afraid of me ... unless you try to do something funny with us or the elf.

With those words Hanorp departs after Vera.

Temotei
2010-07-09, 09:45 AM
It's not so much the idea of a utopia as the avoidance of death via achievement of at least a decent amount of peace.

He looks at you curiously for a moment, then laughs a little as he speaks again.

By the way, my name's Butar.

Hanorp: You notice as you delve into the dark cave that it's not really a single cave so much as a network of them. Every fifteen feet or so, a new passage breaks off from the main one, though several are closed off.

You arrive at Vera's path without incident.

bigbaddragon
2010-07-09, 10:25 AM
Hanorp here ... I see now what you were thinking about, I misinterpreted a bit. That one ... some day we may just be able to pull off.

Hanorp continues tot he passage shown to him.

Temotei
2010-07-11, 02:34 AM
Hanorp and Any Following: Clearly marked on the icy cave wall is a scratched in "V," probably standing for Vera. Beneath that, a scratched note says, "Make your presence known to me before entering or risk loss of sight, sound, and fun!"

You can hear Vera talking to herself quietly and quickly, as if her thoughts cannot be contained.

bigbaddragon
2010-07-11, 12:34 PM
Hanorp makes a move as if he was going to knock on the door and then facepalms himself ... Sigh, all of this cold is getting to my brain.

One who does not want to take the risk of loss of sight, sound, and fun is at you door Vera. I've come to help with the research. - Hanorp says in a voice he hopes is loud enough to break through to Vera.

Temotei
2010-07-11, 12:56 PM
Hanorp, etc.: Come on in. Her voice echoes a little, seeming to come from several different directions. You notice a little hole in the side of the ice covered by a big, frozen rock. It's just large enough for an average-sized human to fit comfortably.

bigbaddragon
2010-07-11, 02:34 PM
Hanorp enters Vera's chambers but not without caution. That sing was probably there for a reason ...

Search check just in case: [roll0]

Temotei
2010-07-11, 03:38 PM
Hanorp: Your careful, but quick search reveals a hand-sized lever behind the rock. You surmise that pulling the lever would move the rock somehow, or perhaps widen the space a little.

Danger, however, is not present, from what you gather.

bigbaddragon
2010-07-12, 07:35 AM
Hanorp will try to evaluate in which direction the rock will move and then position himself in a way he thinks the rock won't land on him. After that he pulls the lever and gets in if everything is alright.

Temotei
2010-07-13, 07:20 PM
Hanorp and the Beast: The rock slides away with hardly a sound, surprisingly. Magic? Technology? Well-oiled rock?

Before you is a long, curving passage leading farther into the cave. It looks like it will eventually lead you to either Vera's room by another way or to another room altogether.

The passage is fairly warm, as well. No ice is in it, and small, magical lights adorn the walls.

bigbaddragon
2010-07-14, 07:57 PM
Hmm, I actually like this - Hanorp thinks to himself while entering ... And finally some warmth ...

Temotei
I'm doing this under the impression that there is no door to Vera's room, only this passage I found. If I misinterpreted something please hit me with magic missile (http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=69991&title=magic-missile) or something :smallwink:

Temotei
2010-07-15, 01:24 AM
Hanorp, Oh Hanorp: Yeah, there's a normal passage. This one you're taking is supposed to be secret.

I like how he just shot him instead of chasing him down.

A bow with a magic missile enchantment would be pretty epic, actually. Never miss? Yes, please. :smallamused:

Mangles
2010-07-15, 04:34 AM
St Garoth shuffles his feat. Clearly awkward in the present company. Clapping his hands together he sets off looking for their accommodation and maybe somewhere to replenish supplies

bigbaddragon
2010-07-15, 06:41 AM
After warming up for half a minute Hanorp returns to the entrance and pulls the lever in order to return the rock to its place. Doing that he enters Vera's room.

OoC: MM enchantment on a bow would be nice, can I have one :smallbiggrin:?

Temotei
2010-07-15, 12:51 PM
OoC: No. :smallamused:

Where Art Thou, Oh Hanorp: You took long enough. What, did you have to prepare yourself for the great evil that is a human woman?

Vera doesn't even look up at you, apparently absorbed in a scroll.

Garoth: The cave, cold as usual, goes on for a while. You notice as you delve into the dark cave that it's not really a single cave so much as a network of them. Every fifteen feet or so, a new passage breaks off from the main one, though several are closed off. Getting lost wouldn't be hard, but luckily, the entrance Butar warned you about is labeled with "Do not enter, please. Thank you. I do believe this one doesn't like visitors, and I don't want to be the one scraping the paste off my ice."

bigbaddragon
2010-07-15, 01:47 PM
oh brother where art thou :smallwink:

No preparations, just warming up a bit - Hanorp says with a smile. Its a cool mechanism you have out there, but a bit to easy to find.

Now, how may I put my arcane skills to help you?

Mangles
2010-07-18, 04:18 AM
"Well thats...unusal." Garoth continues on his way hoping there is a strong beer at the end of it

Temotei
2010-07-20, 08:16 PM
Hanorp: You found the lever. It's not so much a question as a statement. Well, then. Color me impressed. I'll gladly accept your talents with that book over there. It's written in a language I don't recognize. Maybe you'll have better luck.

The book is pretty small. On the cover are little, magical runes. Opening the book doesn't reveal anything other than quickly scrawled letters in an unrecognizable language.

Garoth: Beer, you don't find. A pool of water, you do find. It's surprisingly deep and unfrozen, you garner just from a glance. A blackness below, barely penetrable by your dwarven eyes, reveals that the pool keeps going for about fifty feet before turning to, presumably, go farther into the cave.

Marroar: The others are ignoring you. You start to feel a bit stiff from just standing around.

Mangles
2010-07-21, 03:25 AM
Garoth takes a deep drink from the pool. Feeling how cold the water is.

checking temp to make sure i wouldnt freeze if i dived into it

Temotei
2010-07-21, 04:45 PM
Garoth: The water is, amazingly, almost lukewarm. You could drop in there for quite a while with no problem.

Mangles
2010-07-21, 05:44 PM
Garoth takes off his full plate and leaves it and his backpack at the waters edge. He decides to keep his chain shirt on. He hops into the water and begins to descend.

So the way I read the swim skill Garoth could hold his breath for 20 rounds as long as he only takes a move action. Is that correct? If that is he will head down to 50 feet for now. If not he will head to 20 feet and see if he can see any further.

marjan
2010-07-22, 12:58 PM
After walking Greyvil (or while - I'm not sure if we found his accommodation) to his room Marroar says to his men.
Get some rest boys, I have feeling you'll need it. I'll be on watch for now. Hukle, if you don't mind I'd like to know how well is this cave hidden and where are entrances. In case we have to leave, will there be alternate route?

bigbaddragon
2010-07-22, 04:53 PM
All right Vera, I'll give it my best shot but it may take a while.

Saying that Hanorp's attention shifts to the book completely.

Here is the list of things Hanorp will do for now:
-try to determine if the book is written in any language he knows (Orc, Draconic, Giant, Dwarwen or Elven) but only appears to be written in some gibberish language. Intelligence check I suppose: [roll0]
- cast detect magic and read magic and try to find some information in conjunction with his spellcraft skill. Spellcraft checks: [roll1], [roll2]
- try to determine if there is a pattern of some sort. Another int check: [roll3]
- try to identify the nature of runes and possible spells and school of magic used and currently in effect on the book. This is actually covered with 2) so I won't roll another spellcraft check.

bigbaddragon
2010-09-30, 05:12 AM
Bumpman strikes again :smallsmile: