PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a BBEG

Parra
2010-02-01, 10:41 AM
Im looking for some help with the motivations of the Big Bad Evil guy for a campaign Im running soon.

What I know so far, in brief:
The setting is 3.5 Planescape, post faction-war with things not-to-dissimilar to the info found on www.planewalker.com Its starting from a low level (3rd or so) with a group of 5-6 players. They are based, at least initially, out of Sigil.

The BBEG? A Fallen Solar
I plan of having Solar McNot-So-Good interacting (under disguise ofc) with the party from the opening adventure. Initially he will be employing them to perform various tasks as part of his grand scheme, they will of course have no idea what this is to begin with (nor do I for that matter) but it will be undoubtedly eeeeevul.
Over time the group will of course learn more and more about whats going on and eventually make a decision on whether to aid Solar McNot-So-Good or to try and thwart him. Knowing my players the way I do they will most likely go for option 3 and try to kill the solar while making a grab for power themselves, but thats a problem for another day.

Now today problem;
What caused the Solar to fall from grace?
What is this eeeeevul thing that he is trying to achieve?

I feel both questions are tightly related.
Solar's, for those unfamiliar, at the most powerful agent of a God and/or the most powerful champion of a Cause/Ideal.
I feel its easier to justify him being the Fallen Champion of some Ideal, but Im drawing a blank on what exactly. Something terrible and traumatic? or disillusionment after a millenia with little change? I just cant find something interesting enough.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? all thoughts are appreciated

onthetown
2010-02-01, 10:50 AM
Maybe the Solar had different ideas and innovations than what's socially acceptable... saw different ways to solve things and whatnot throughout his life. Absolute Good isn't always the way to success, and he might have wanted success no matter what. It would have been found out eventually and his superiors probably wouldn't have taken it well... And neither would he. Big epic battle or fight or whatever, he gets thrown out and fallen since I'm assuming the god in question has mercy.