PDA

View Full Version : SRD Character Builds

Yottagray
2010-02-01, 11:00 AM
I'm tired of seeing all these maximized character builds that use a dozen source books I don't own and feats I've never heard of. So, what kinds of creative builds can you all come up with using only material from the 3.5 SRD?

The Glyphstone
2010-02-01, 11:00 AM
Wizard 20. Proceed to win D&D.

Druid 20 with natural spell. Proceed to win D&D almost as much.

FishAreWet
2010-02-01, 11:03 AM
Horizon Tripper or something like that it pretty good too.

But as posted, any full caster LOL.

Yottagray
2010-02-01, 11:05 AM
Very creative guys.

wormwood
2010-02-01, 11:12 AM
You didn't really give any parameters for what you were looking for... what did you expect to get back? There's a common phrase in software development... "garbage in, garbage out." Your outputs can only be as good as the inputs you feed the process.

Are you looking for builds that do things in a creative way? Do you want to see powerful builds using only core/SRD stuff? Melee? Arcane? Divine? Psionic? What method of stat generation are you using? What level range?

If you are just asking, "what is a good build using SRD material?" then you already got your answer.

Mongoose87
2010-02-01, 11:16 AM
Mind you, Wizard 16/Archmage1 to 5/Wizard+0 to 4 is pretty cool.

Yottagray
2010-02-01, 11:41 AM
Christ wormwood, no need to be so harsh. I asked for creative builds. I just want to see something interesting done with common resources, that's all. I wasn't specific past that because I didn't care what level/class/stat generation type or whether or not it's super powerful. You guys are all creative, I just wanted to see some imagination.

wormwood
2010-02-01, 11:49 AM
sorry... I re-read my post and it did seem a bit harsh. that wasn't my intention. i was mostly just trying to point out that there are a lot of smart-***es around these parts (myself included) and you're not likely to get a good answer unless you're very specific in what you're looking for.

and... since i really don't have anything productive to add, I'll go away now.

Eldariel
2010-02-01, 11:59 AM
Well see, that's why so many people dislike playing SRD-only, there's very little creative crap you can do. Most of the interesting stuff there comes from spells/powers anyways and those are really hard to actually make apparent in builds. You can build powerful characters, but not really that special/interesting ones.

Though that depends on how you define "interesting". To someone "Wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 4/Thaumaturgist 5/Archmage 4/Loremaster 1" could be interesting since it uses Mystic Theurge to qualify for Thaumaturgist on the arcane side, something that requires Shapechange otherwise.

Maybe "Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Assassin 1/Arcane Trickster 10/Loremaster ->" simply because there's the cute double SA trick from Rogue/Ass enabling minimal CL loss over getting to Arcane Trickster.

And maybe the archetypal Horizon Tripper with "Ranger 3/Fighter 1/Barbarian 1/Horizon Walker 10" could be interesting for someone simply because of the combination of base classes.

And hell, I guess the Core build of "Wizard 5/Red Wizard of Thay 10/Loremaster 1/Archmage 4" is really cool 'cause some people don't know Red Wizard is right there in the DMG and it has some sick abilities.

Eh, I just don't really know what this thread is for so I'm just posting random nonsense.

Optimystik
2010-02-01, 12:06 PM
If your goal is "without books" rather than just SRD, then there's plenty of classes, races, PrCs,feats and other stuff that WotC offers for free. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0;topicseen)

Draz74
2010-02-01, 12:23 PM
I'm rather fond of SRD psionics builds.

The best possible skillmonkey, with SRD-only material, is arguably Rogue 4/Psion 2/Elocator 10/Psion +4.

You can make an OK wannabe version of the King of Smack with a simple, straightforward Psychic Warrior 20 build. Focus on your Claws of the Beast power (e.g. by taking Overchannel and Talented early). Take Improved Natural Attack (claws). And start using the incredible Claws of the Vampire combo. Mix in Metamorphosis and Psionic Lion's Charge as desired ...

Though in general, my favorite SRD-only "tank" build, even better than Psychic Warrior 20 or the Horizon Tripper (and more stylish than CoDzilla) is Ranger 1/Psychic Warrior 10/Slayer 9. Possibly a Half-Giant for the Powerful Build bonuses.

Of course, SRD-only means we have to ask whether Unearthed Arcana is allowed too. There's some pretty crazy optimizer's stuff in UA. Flaws ... Gestalt :smallwink: ... Barbarian Variants ... Generic Spellcasters ... Item Familiars ... Cloistered Clerics ...

ericgrau
2010-02-01, 12:31 PM
I can pull up my current list of character concepts:

Tripper / skillmonkey / trapfinder (rogue dip) / UMD / low level batman spell / crafting bard. Basically doing many small things very well, rather than trying to do big things sucktastically.
Tower shield fighter taking advantage of cover tactics a la Spartans
Standard archer
Standard batman sorcerer
Both standard monks (grapple/trip and finesse/stun/disarm)
Sure you want to dump AC? TWF rapid shot flurry shuriken halfling monk for an obscene number of attacks... at an effective -7 to hit vs. a full BAB class. Flame arrow, strength, sneak attack or other bonus damage to get something worthwhile out of many attacks, of course.
Ogre barbarian who loves to make strength checks to break things, trip (let me roll open lock with my fist)
Super complicated fighter X / wizard 1 (allows wands/scrolls of any level). Has direct damage, yeah, but also a dozen other magical and mundane tricks that would fill half this post. On a flying mount for example.
Gnome barbarian, b/c small size gives combat bonuses not penalties to attacks. Just don't ask him to grapple.
Halfling thrower rogue or fighter. Also throws alchemical items and spams bolas with his secondary attacks, since touch attacks are easier to land.
Nixie rogue UMD pumper, loads up on a handy haversack and a billion cheap low level scrolls and wands from all classes. Also all the standard dirty tricks with bags of holding and other cheap utility items. Calls himself a magician, has a tricky solution ready for most any challenge. Sneak attacks with wand of acid splash (touch attack).
Full plate dwarven wizard, focusing on spells w/o somatic components, still spells and morning buffs. No runesmith shenanigans.
Similar self-crafting wizard who relies on gear and morning buffs to keep up with fighters. All feats to crafting, also crafts for party. Obviously requires you to start at low level if you want to break WBL.

Is that enough unmaximized trickiness for you?

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-01, 12:41 PM
Monk 20, with a heavy investment in the UMD skill.

Reaper_Monkey
2010-02-01, 12:58 PM
Bard 1.

What? He plays music/sings, that's pretty creative. I guess you could give him craft (painting) or profession (artist) if you really wanted to boost his creativity.

Wormwood was right, this place if full of smart-as**s

Optimystik
2010-02-01, 01:14 PM
Using SRD only, Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) 5/Loremaster 10 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/loremaster.htm)/Thaumaturgist 5 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/thaumaturgist.htm)

Using any free online D&D, Spell-to-Power (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) Erudite (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060406b) 10/Crystal Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d) 10.

Thurbane
2010-02-01, 09:15 PM
There was a great list that someone posted with a complete list of "free" 3.5stuff that WotC had up on their site...but I've lost the link.

Off the top of my head: the full Marshal class, Wild Cohort feat, Swiftblade PrC...etc.

industrious
2010-02-01, 09:17 PM
Warblade and its maneuvers are also free. Take that, fighter!

Eldariel
2010-02-01, 09:38 PM
There was a great list that someone posted with a complete list of "free" 3.5stuff that WotC had up on their site...but I've lost the link.

Off the top of my head: the full Marshal class, Wild Cohort feat, Swiftblade PrC...etc.

A guide to free D&D (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0).

Wormwood was right, this place if full of smart-as**s

At least not dumbasses!

deuxhero
2010-02-01, 10:01 PM
Warblade and its maneuvers are also free. Take that, fighter!

Yep, the manuvers are a bit hidden (they are on the "cheat sheat" cards rather than a preview/excerpt) though.

absolmorph
2010-02-01, 10:07 PM
A guide to free D&D (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0).
When I saw that, my first reaction was "Oooooooooh, yes."
Thank God I'm home alone. I would've freaked out anyone that heard me from my apparent erotic attraction to DnD.

deuxhero
2010-02-01, 10:11 PM
The last page of said thread has some stuff missed in the intial post.

Abd al-Azrad
2010-02-01, 10:31 PM
The difficulty with critiquing creative builds is that 'creativity' isn't really a thing. It's possibly the most subjective concept imaginable. Honestly, if our only parameter is that the build can't be min-maxed to hell, I'm sorely tempted to make a build that is notoriously, famously ineffective. For example!

* The man who is consistently outperformed by a commoner: Wiz20 with an abundance of Flaws, Intelligence of 9 (it seemed a good dump-stat at the time!) suffering from severe energy drain. He has almost no skills to start with, and his attack rolls, saves and skill checks are all in the negatives. -9 BAB! At most!

Or perhaps a build exploiting an unusual party dynamic...

* The grappling Barbarian, loaded with feats to push his grapple checks through the roof, trained in the arts of stealth (possibly cross-classed skills) and armed with a garrote (or dagger, whatever). His party is made up of Rogues/Ninjas/other dudes with tons of sneak attack. Hit squad!

Or just go for weird...

* The insane sorcerer who uses a combination of Shapechange, Overland Flight, and a bunch of stilled Ray attacks to cruise around as a flying, destructive gelatinous cube. Animate the corpses of your victims, and keep them engulfed inside your body, to be disgorged as an invading army whenever you've disabled a castle's defenses. You are the Borg! Resistance is feudal!

Thurbane
2010-02-01, 10:33 PM
Mmany thanks, I'll try not to lose it again! :smallsmile:

Harperfan7
2010-02-01, 11:40 PM
Resistance is feudal!

Que?hadurka

oxinabox
2010-02-02, 12:16 AM
When i saw the title, my instant responce was druid 20.
it's SRD only and can compete with almost any build of lesser power than the DMM Cleric

Schylerwalker
2010-02-02, 01:30 AM
Monk 5/Assassin 5/Shadowdancer 5/Blackguard 5

"You can't see me...you can't see meee...SMITE SNEAK DEATH ATTACK!!!"