PDA

View Full Version : Oh Crude for Lien and O-Chul

Alex Warlorn
2010-02-01, 12:14 PM
If Mr. Paranoid-Booby-Trap-Against-Own-Teammate really DOES believe that it's SOON or his paladins who are suddenly out to conquer the world... then one good sand storm to erase or ALTER Elan's warning and boom, Lein and O-Chul's own warnings at the north gate will fall on deaf ears, and they'll likely end up eaten alive by a horde of epic level monsters unleashed on them cause "Soon's paladins are now out to conquer the world!"

FabuVinny
2010-02-01, 12:29 PM
Except Seniri/Seniri's people ALSO know that Soon's gate is gone so that would make her/them more willing to listen to what the Paladins have to say.

Alex Warlorn
2010-02-01, 12:31 PM
Except Seniri/Seniri's people ALSO know that Soon's gate is gone so that would make her/them more willing to listen to what the Paladins have to say.

How would they know it was gone in the frozen boonies? And it's not like it had an alarm bell on it.

Ancalagon
2010-02-01, 12:32 PM

My first thought on that was more like:
Serini got a warning about Paladins violating Girard's Gate and suddenly... two Paladins from Azure City show up on her doorstep. That'll be all the proof she needs that Girard was correct and that Soon's successors try "something" with the gates... it might be that Lien and O-Chul won't receive a nice welcome due to this.

SoC175
2010-02-01, 12:32 PM
That's assuming that there actually are any Seniri's at all. Filling a complex dungeon with deadly monsters seems like it's supposed as an "aim and forget" protection.

FabuVinny
2010-02-01, 12:41 PM
How would they know it was gone in the frozen boonies? And it's not like it had an alarm bell on it.Yes it did. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html) That's how Shojo knew about the destruction of the first two gates.

My first thought on that was more like:
Serini got a warning about Paladins violating Girard's Gate and suddenly... two Paladins from Azure City show up on her doorstep. That'll be all the proof she needs that Girard was correct and that Soon's successors try "something" with the gates... it might be that Lien and O-Chul won't receive a nice welcome due to this.I suppose that's possible. But that's only if Seniri was taken in by Girard's paranoia and hasn't heard anything about Gobbotopia.

Mando Knight
2010-02-01, 01:14 PM
...It's Serini, not Seniri.

MReav
2010-02-01, 01:35 PM
Thing is, Roy and crew lost a lot of time travelling and searching for it. O-Chul and Lien might have gotten to Serini before Roy did.

Alex Warlorn
2010-02-01, 01:41 PM
Thing is, Roy and crew lost a lot of time travelling and searching for it. O-Chul and Lien might have gotten to Serini before Roy did.

They might go from honored guests to prisoners. Since a hobbit had the hots for an illusionist, of COURSE she'll take his word over theirs.

Shale
2010-02-01, 02:16 PM
She had the hots for him at the beginning of their adventure, 60-plus years ago. She didn't take his side - or anybody's side - when the Order split, we know that.

triple zero
2010-02-01, 02:54 PM
Serini has definitely matured since she wrote that diary entry. She sounds like a giggling teenager (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html). Yet when their group split up, Serini was the voice of reason. As Shale said, she didn't take sides. She was the one who didn't get involved in the squabbling and found the solution which allowed them to protect the world without their differences ruining their mission.

My take is that Serini probably recognized that Girard was overly paranoid. Her schoolgirl crush was probably gone by this point, and she could see his flaws just as she could Soon's. I think Serini was in on Girard's deception partly to humour him, and partly because she thought it was a good way to protect Girard's gate (by ensuring that if Soon's knowledge of the gate got into the wrong hands, it would lead to a dead end. Granted, keeping the real coordinates in her diary that Xykon managed to find effectively defeated the purpose of this deception, which makes me wonder how Xykon got it in the first place. But I digress.) In any case, my theory is that Serini was in on the deception without actually buying into Girard's paranoia.

If Serini is still alive, she will not ignore the warning signs. Recall that Serini suggested that a monitoring divination be put in place to let the others know when a gate is broken (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html). With the destruction of Dorukan and Soon's gates, Serini will have had two warnings in the past few years (or less, I'm not sure of the timeline). Add to that Girard's spell at the fake coordinates notifying Serini (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0695.html), and the evidence pretty clearly points to a threat. Serini would be stupid to look at all of this and assume that the two paladins that showed up on her doorstep were checking up on her because they didn't trust her. That would be a best case scenario at this point. Even if that was the case, with the destruction of Soon's gate, it would be in Serini's interest to talk to the paladins to find out why the gate was destroyed.

In any case, O-Chul can probably handle himself.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-01, 03:10 PM
If Mr. Paranoid-Booby-Trap-Against-Own-Teammate really DOES believe that it's SOON or his paladins who are suddenly out to conquer the world...

Why would paladins want to conquer the world? Protect using extreme means yes, but world domination?

Asta Kask
2010-02-01, 03:43 PM
The important thing here is not what paladins will do, but what Girard and Serini believe paladins will do.

RickDaily12
2010-02-01, 03:57 PM
There was something else that caught my attention that worries me.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html

The scry. The last few panels. There were two different things I noticed about this one in particular.

One, that it was visible. Mr. Scruffy shouldn't have seen it, compared to others. And that two, it wasn't purple, which it SHOULD have been were it one of Girard's spells.

And Serini isn't a caster... so who scryed on them?:smallconfused:

Captainocaptain
2010-02-01, 08:15 PM
There was something else that caught my attention that worries me.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html

The scry. The last few panels. There were two different things I noticed about this one in particular.

One, that it was visible. Mr. Scruffy shouldn't have seen it, compared to others. And that two, it [B]wasn't purple, which it SHOULD have been were it one of Girard's spells.[B]

And Serini isn't a caster... so who scryed on them?:smallconfused:

I think the spell was some kind of Arcane Eye spell, I'm not sure if they are visible, but its the only type of scrying that requires a physical something or other to watch the location and not just a crystal ball. Next, Serini was a caster, bards can cast spells (see Elan, though he is not very good at it), also, I'm not sure about this, I think bards get some scrying spells later on, too.

Kish
2010-02-01, 08:16 PM
Next, Serini was a caster, bards can cast spells (see Elan, though he is not very good at it),
However, the one class we know Serini had is rogue, not bard.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-02-01, 08:20 PM
However, the one class we know Serini had is rogue, not bard.

Use Magic Device?

Yendor
2010-02-01, 08:22 PM
Don't you think somebody will be telling Lien and O-Chul what happened? At the very least they should be on their guard for any unpleasant surprises.

RickDaily12
2010-02-01, 11:38 PM
Don't you think somebody will be telling Lien and O-Chul what happened? At the very least they should be on their guard for any unpleasant surprises.

Roy said that the party will cast a Sending to Hinjo ASAP.

I'm sure that their message will be forwarded to the paladins (Lien and O-Chul).:smallwink:

The_Weirdo
2010-02-01, 11:46 PM
In any case, O-Chul can probably handle himself.

I think few, if any, here, care more about O-Chul than about Lien...

Oh, sexy blue-haired Paladins... Come and gut me like the catch of the day, Lien, I'll let you... *ahem*

>.>

<.<

You didn't read this.