PDA

View Full Version : Karma Points - A Variant on Action Points

Mongoose87
2010-02-01, 12:27 PM
In the Eberron Campaign Setting, it outlines the system of Action Points, which can be spent in order to boost a d20 roll, stabilize a character, hasten an Infusion or activate a class feature. Typically, a character has a set number to spend, based on their level.

In the Karma Point variant, Action Points still allow you to do the same things. However, there is no level-based limit on how many a player may use. Instead, every time a player decides to use one of their character's Karma Points, the DM records that they have, keeping a running tally of how many Karma Points each player has spent.

Here is where I am unsure of which of the following two ways to use Karma Points. I'd like input as to which is better, option A or option B

Option A) The DM may, for every Karma Point a player has used, use a Karma point against them. For example, if Jimmy's Cleric, succeeds on his Reflex save by using a Karma Point, the DM may now allow any NPC to use one Karma Point in an action opposed to Jimmy's character, whether that be a saving throw, attack roll or opposed skill check.

Option B) The DM then totals up the party's usage of Karma Points. He may use that number of Karma Points against the party, as in Option A, but with no limit upon which player's character is the target.

Silverscale
2010-02-01, 01:18 PM
Or with a lot less note taking the DM can just do his/her best to keep in balance the number of times s/he adjusts result one way vs. the other. I understand that you are trying to keep things balanced here but do we necessarily need another mechanic for that?

Milskidasith
2010-02-01, 01:52 PM
In the Eberron Campaign Setting, it outlines the system of Action Points, which can be spent in order to boost a d20 roll, stabilize a character, hasten an Infusion or activate a class feature. Typically, a character has a set number to spend, based on their level.

In the Karma Point variant, Action Points still allow you to do the same things. However, there is no level-based limit on how many a player may use. Instead, every time a player decides to use one of their character's Karma Points, the DM records that they have, keeping a running tally of how many Karma Points each player has spent.

Here is where I am unsure of which of the following two ways to use Karma Points. I'd like input as to which is better, option A or option B

Option A) The DM may, for every Karma Point a player has used, use a Karma point against them. For example, if Jimmy's Cleric, succeeds on his Reflex save by using a Karma Point, the DM may now allow any NPC to use one Karma Point in an action opposed to Jimmy's character, whether that be a saving throw, attack roll or opposed skill check.

Option B) The DM then totals up the party's usage of Karma Points. He may use that number of Karma Points against the party, as in Option A, but with no limit upon which player's character is the target.

If you really need a complicated system to go with "I fudge the rolls one way or another" then at least use the one that hits the characters. There's no point in punishing Joe the fighter because Bob the wizard made a will save using a karma point, and it doesn't even make much sense; why does the wizards karma affect the fighter?

Mongoose87
2010-02-01, 03:01 PM
If you really need a complicated system to go with "I fudge the rolls one way or another" then at least use the one that hits the characters. There's no point in punishing Joe the fighter because Bob the wizard made a will save using a karma point, and it doesn't even make much sense; why does the wizards karma affect the fighter?

Honestly, I feel that the individual Karma Points are probably better, or at least more fair. Actually, now that I think about it, there's not really any reason to do it the other way.

truemane
2010-02-01, 03:15 PM
If you're going to make use of a balancing mechanic like this, then the best thing might be to put the ball in the player's court. Or at least the bookkeeping. There are a couple of systems (Spirit of the Century, Full Light Full Steam) that use mechanics like this to good effect.

Simply, any time the DM uses a Karma Point against the character, the player gains a point. Any time the player uses one, they lose one.

Done.

Drolyt
2010-02-01, 03:22 PM

I like, though I agree with the other posts that Option B is bad. Another option might be to create what are essentially reverse action points aka negative karma points (as opposed to positive karma points). Basically a character could spend positive karma points (gained in a manner suiting to the campaign) with no ill effect, but once he runs out he can continue spending points but in doing so accumulates negative karma points (there might be other ways to get negative karma points, depending on the campaign). Instead of giving opponents better rolls, the DM chooses appropriate times for the character to take a penalty on a roll, and each time the character's negative karma point pool decreases. Also in certain situations the DM might screw a character's roll for game purposes (that NPC wasn't supposed to die yet!) but give the character one or more positive karma points to compensate.