PDA

View Full Version : Jack B Quick Eldritch Knight Variant

Drolyt
2010-02-01, 01:56 PM
Alright until recently I never optimized melee builds, so the other day I was reading up on the Jack B. Quick fighter build, and I thought, "this would be better if he had polymorph and a couple of resize weapons". Now this has probably been done before, and there's probably some way to improve it, but here is a build that should, if I did everything right, allow you to get six attacks and a trip on a great wyrm dragon every time it hits you:

Human Feat Rogue 2/Martial Monk 2/Fighter 4/Wizard (Fighter Bonus Feats) 5/Eldritch Knight 7.

Feats: 1st: TWF, Dodge, Combat Expertise 2nd: WF (Longsword) 3: Improved Unarmed Strike, Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Battleaxe) 4th: Improved Trip 5th: High Sword Low Axe 6th: Combat Reflexes, Karmic Strike 8th: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting 9th: Double Hit, Practiced Spellcaster 12th: Two-Weapon Rend 13th: Mobility 14th: Elusive Target 15th: Robilar's Gambit 18th: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting.

Okay, it's less than optimal in many ways, but it's the best I could come up with off the top of my head. You get some stuff earlier than the original Jack B. Quick, but the original build is pretty much stronger until 16th level, when you get polymorph at caster level 11. Then you get the whole jack be quick AoO thing even against really large opponents. And you can trip dragons, which is awesome. Now, can this be done better?

Edit: Alright, this build is hardly playable before 16th level normally, but if it was gestalt and allowed fractional base attack and save bonuses it could be something like: Fighter-Wizard (Fighter Feat Variant) 2/Feat Rogue-Wizard (Fighter Feat Variant) 2/Martial Monk-Wizard (Fighter Feat Variant) 2/Psychic Warrior-Wizard (Fighter Feat Variant) 2/Cleric of Heironeous (War Domain)-Wizard (Fighter Feat Variant) 1/Swashbuckler-Wizard (Fighter Feat Variant) 1/Blade Bravo-Wizard (Fighter Feat Variant) 10, not necessarily in that order. You would end up with a total of 14 Fighter Bonus Feats, Weapon Focus in the Longsword, Weapon Finesse, 9th level wizard spells, 1st level cleric spells, and the blade-bravo abilities. Should work pretty well for this build.

Eldariel
2010-02-01, 02:33 PM
Why are you going arcane? Cloistered Cleric 4/Church Inquisitor 2/Sovereign Speaker 9/Ordained Champion 3/Contemplative 2 can pick up upwards to 14 nice bonus feats without losing more than 3 caster levels (thus retaining 9th level spell access) and has so many Domains that finding room to access Spell-domain through Sovereign Speaker for Greater Anyspell to acquire Polymorph is ridiculously easy. Oh, and you can afford DMM: Persist while at it. And you have access to Heroics too.

Drolyt
2010-02-01, 02:42 PM
Why are you going arcane? Cloistered Cleric 4/Church Inquisitor 2/Sovereign Speaker 9/Ordained Champion 3/Contemplative 2 can pick up upwards to 14 nice bonus feats without losing more than 3 caster levels (thus retaining 9th level spell access) and has so many Domains that finding room to access Spell-domain through Sovereign Speaker for Greater Anyspell to acquire Polymorph is ridiculously easy. Oh, and you can afford DMM: Persist while at it. And you have access to Heroics too.

I didn't think of divine? You're just better/more experienced at this than me? That works... much better. Thing about Jack B. Quick is that it seems to me to be worthless except against melee enemies of up to large size, with a spellcasting build it can be used on anyone. To deal with spellcasters you would have to trip them and then just AoO whenever they try to get up or cast. It's not that uber, but that would work pretty well. Thanks.