PDA

View Full Version : Neverending Dungeon - Soona

Tanaric
2010-02-01, 02:44 PM
The air surrounding you fairly hums with the residue of magic, an aftereffect of the spell that brought you to this place. A quick glance reveals that you are in a small room, devoid of any life save for yourself. The sound of dripping water can be heard faintly, and the stone walls are slick with moisture. In complete defiance of logic, a torch is already lit, resting in a sconce near the room's single door.
Map:{table]|A_|B_|C_
1|||
2||S|
3|||
4|||[/table]

There is a door at C-4, south side.

DM notes:Sheet. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=179197)

Chemus
2010-02-01, 10:53 PM
Soona instructs Pebbles in how she wants the dungeon explored: "First, check for traps under the floors of the area you can see, starting with this room, then surface, eyes only, to see where the next areas are, and repeat. When you encounter a door, surface momentarily, eyes only again, to get the size of the room, and any occupants. Try not to be seen, glide under immediately, and continue your search of the area." Soona breathes. "Figure that any metal under the floor is a trap, and any openings that you can see through with normal vision or darkvision from the floor are traps. At your speed, you should cover perhaps 6 squares per round; first surfaced, eyes only, seeing what you can see, then gliding under that hall, then surfacing again to get your bearings. That's about 60 squares per minute. I want you back here when you've either searched all the hallways, or half an hour has passed." (1800 squares; some combination of 72 5x5 rooms, and 9000' of hallway...)

Tanaric
2010-02-01, 10:57 PM
Interjection: A small elemental takes up one 5x5 cube. It cannot poke only its eyes out (well, I'd allow it in a normal game, out of combat, but ruleswise it's either in or out), and thus stands a good chance of being spotted. As soon as it's spotted initiative is gonna be rolled, and it might get hit, and possibly killed. With that in mind, do you still want it to enter rooms?

Chemus
2010-02-02, 12:22 AM
I was trying to figure out a way to avoid the rooms without taking way too much time to explore the hallways, and had little luck. I was actually trying to make your job easier, since I don't have the map to count 1800 squares out on.

As to the 5' space only bit, why? I thought earth glide (http://dndsrd.net/monstersEtoF.html#earth-elemental) was 'as a fish swims through water'. The closest thing I can think of is how incorporeal creatures (http://dndsrd.net/monsterTypes.html#incorporeal) may come partially out of solid objects they inhabit.

Rulings is rulings. I think that it works within the rules to come partially out, but I see your point. Are there more than 900 squares of hallway (assuming that Pebbles has to backtrack exactly half the time)?

Tanaric
2010-02-02, 06:27 PM
Feh, like I'm going to count out 900 squares. :smalltongue:

Here's a blank map:http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/8983/mapqdp.jpg

Chemus
2010-02-02, 09:38 PM
"Pebbles, come along with me; we're going to see what's in those rooms now." Soona opens the south door of room 12, and heads 25' south, 15' east and 10' north, ending up in front of the west door of the SW room. "Pebbles, you get into that space, and when I open the door, you pass through the wall at my left, and if there's a creature there, attack the nearest one touching the ground," Soona whispers. Then she and Pebbles enter the room. Initiative rolls for Soona, and then Pebbles: [roll0], [roll1].

Tanaric
2010-02-03, 04:39 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||||
4||||B|H[/table]

There is a door at A-2, which you are just outside of another at E-4, south side, and another at E-3. There is a human in a chain shirt, holding a longsword, standing behind a beast with patchy dark fur that covers its unhealthy shrunken black skin in some places. Open sores dot its hide and a feral, catlike head glances with it's blank eyes at the wall in front of it.

Initiative: [roll0]

Pebbles goes first.

Chemus
2010-02-03, 04:56 PM
Pebbles moves to C3, via A1 and B2, and attacks the catlike beast with her slam, with +1 to hit and damage from earth mastery. She hits AC [roll0] for [roll1]. If she has to make a Will save (if the cat-thing is an illusion or something...), she makes DC [roll2] or less.

Tanaric
2010-02-04, 04:37 PM
[roll0] vs DC 16 - humbug.

Pebbles swings its fist right through the beast. In vanishes a moment later. The man attempts to cast a spell defensively, but fails.

Chemus
2010-02-04, 05:36 PM
Umm... what was the spell, because there was no need to cast defensively; Pebbles is 10' away...

On her turn, Soona will use the Firey Burst in one corner of his square, covering a 5' radius that Pebbles doesn't occupy for [roll0] fire damage.

Tanaric
2010-02-04, 05:50 PM
*blinks slowly*

How odd. I really should have noticed that.

It's color spray, aimed at Pebbles.

Chemus
2010-02-04, 06:22 PM
Pebbles' will save is [roll0]. Soona's Spellcraft is [roll1] vs DC 16.

Does the 5 damage drop the man?

Tanaric
2010-02-04, 06:30 PM
It doesn't. Do you have anything you'd like to do with your move action?

Chemus
2010-02-04, 08:35 PM
Yeah, Soona will move to D3

Tanaric
2010-02-04, 08:58 PM
Pebbles is out like a light for [roll0] rounds, then blinded for [roll1] rounds. Immunity to stunning negates the rest.

He casts a spell in your direction. Take an AoO if you're currently armed, else make a will save as colors wash over you.

Chemus
2010-02-04, 10:16 PM
Although Soona has claws and a bite, rather than have her take the AoO, I'd ask you to please pick a 15' cone for the color spray before reading this: she'll use one of her 5 daily abrupt jaunts as an immediate action to get out of the way. She jumps 10' away to B2 If she still must make a will save, it's [roll0].

Tanaric
2010-02-04, 10:40 PM
15ft cone from B-3 to D-1, since that's what aiming in your direction would create.

Edit: You know, you can just lay down some ground rules for when you plan to use Abrupt Jaunt. Everyone else trusts me not to go all arbitrary on them just to kill them.

You pass the save.

Chemus
2010-02-05, 02:37 AM
(My apologies for not giving any instructions. I haven't read any other threads, as you asked us not to. I generally tend to reserve my limited resources, of which this is about my most powerful, though not the most limited. Again, I wasn't mistrusting you, just being conservative. Sorry.)

Actually, b2 is outside the cone, but since I made the save...whew!

Firey burst again to include only the dude. [roll0] fire damage.

Tanaric
2010-02-05, 01:14 PM
*shakes head to clear the fog*

I could have sworn you said D-2. No matter.

Isn't Fiery Burst reflex half?

Reflex saves: [roll0] [roll1]

Tanaric
2010-02-05, 01:17 PM
He's still up.

He casts a spell in your direction, and a loud crack sounds next to your ear, dealing one point of sonic damage. Fort save vs temporary deafness if it matters.

(Note that per Arena rules, if you're still within range of an attack after an Abrupt Jaunt, you can still be targeted. I didn't really want you to waste another A.J. on something that would hit anyway.)

Chemus
2010-02-05, 11:12 PM
Yes, I forgot the save for half, thanks for the reminder. DC 17 (10+2nd level+5 Int Mod)

Fort save is [roll0]. Standard action: Firey burst again [roll1] fire damage, DC 17. Soona moves into the doorway again.

Tanaric
2010-02-05, 11:14 PM
He's down, regardless of the save. 150 xp, chain shirt, longsword, spell component pouch.

Chemus
2010-02-05, 11:37 PM
Soona puts stuff in Pebbles' bag waiting for her to wake up, she also uses on of those rounds to conjure up a HP via CmW, once her hearing clears up. (Down to two CmW.) Soona also takes 15 minutes to fill her last 1st level wizard slot with another Nerveskitter. After Pebbles wakes, she casts Mage Armor (1h) and goes out the east door at E-3, and over to the north door of the next room to the east. Pebbles is at the left of the door, and when Soona opens the door, Pebbles goes in through the wall (Oh, Yeah!!), instructed to attack the nearest creature in the room.

Initiatives: Soona (w/nerveskitter) [roll0], Pebbles:[roll1]
Soona will firey burst the farthest creature on her turn for [roll2], DC17 (if you'd rather not have the DC, just say...). Pebbles will move and slam attack the nearest creature, on the ground, if possible: [roll3], for [roll4], +1 on each of those for a 'grounded' creature.

Tanaric
2010-02-06, 08:02 AM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3||1|||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]

There is a door at B-1, which you are just outside of, and another at B-5.

There is an orc inside the room, garbed in chainmail and wielding a two-handed spear with a serrated, stabbing head. He has a javelin strapped to his side.

Tanaric
2010-02-06, 08:04 AM
Pebbles misses.

Reflex: [roll0]

Which square did Pebbles end up in?

Chemus
2010-02-07, 04:19 PM
Pebbles ends up in C-3.

Tanaric
2010-02-07, 04:23 PM
Pebbles gets a spear to the face then.

[roll0] for [roll1]

Chemus
2010-02-07, 08:41 PM
Pebbles is down, -2 HP.

Soona flings another blast at the Orc [roll0], DC 17. Then Soona moves three squares to the west.

Tanaric
2010-02-07, 08:44 PM
Reflex: [roll0]

He goes down before you move. 150 xp, chainmail, ripper, sundark goggles.

Chemus
2010-02-07, 10:26 PM
Soona casts one of her Lesser Vigor spells on Pebbles, and then gathers loot for Pebbles to carry. Rather than wait all 11 rounds in this room, she and Pebbles head west from the north door of this room, then go through the previous room and north to the next room, just east of the starting room.

If any time remains on the lesser vigor, Soona and Pebbles wait a bit, leaving pebbles at 9 of 11 HP. Then with Pebbles on her left again, Soona opens the door, and Pebbles goes though the wall. Initiative for Soona (w/Nerveskitter): [roll0], and Pebbles: [roll1]

If either or both of them goes first, Pebbles attacks the nearest creature [roll2] for [roll3], and Soona uses firey burst ([roll4]) to include the nearest creature and any adjacent creatures, while missing Pebbles.

Tanaric
2010-02-08, 06:53 PM
Opening the door reveals the following room:

{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_
1|||||
2|||||
3|||1||
4|||||
5|||||[/table]

There is an incredibly ugly, blue-scaled humanoid inside the room. Blue and red flames flicker in its open mouth. It wears long robes, but they are so worn and burnt that they do very little to conceal the chainmail beneath them.

Tanaric
2010-02-08, 06:55 PM
Reflex: [roll0] Text.

Edit: Ending locations for you and Pebbles?

Chemus
2010-02-08, 08:13 PM
Pebbles is at B-2, Soona is at the door.

Tanaric
2010-02-08, 08:16 PM
The creature breathes a line of entangling fire over Soona, dealing [roll0] fire damage, reflex half, and entangling for [roll1] rounds if you take any damage.

He then passes out.

150 xp, and a set of chainmail.

Tanaric
2010-02-08, 08:17 PM
The entangling fire continues to burn you for three rounds before falling away.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Chemus
2010-02-08, 08:29 PM
Soona uses Abrupt jaunt to teleport 10' east as an immediate action (2/5 used), in that case. Does that keep her out of range? If not her reflex save is [roll0], and she tells Pebbles to get out the potion of vigor and administer it to her.

Tanaric
2010-02-08, 08:32 PM
It does, yes. It's a line of fire, and it can't very well spread to the east and west when fired to the south.

As an aside, this is why guidelines when you would like to use AJ are useful - they save us both time and trouble.

Chemus
2010-02-08, 08:50 PM
I understand that and agree with you; I'm sorry I didn't do it before. AJ guidelines: If an attack would target Soona, and Soona could get out of range/LOS, she'll AJ away. If she can use it when a trap would go off, she'll AJ 10' in the direction she came from.

What I was trying to do was hold AJ for offensive purposes; to get surprise. Since pebbles can't try to sneak a peek into the rooms, it won't work for that, but I was still thinking that way.

Pebbles gathers the loot, and she and Soona head east to the next room. Pebbles is at the corridor north of the SW door of that room. Soona opens the door, and pebbles goes through the wall again. Soona's init: [roll0]; Pebbles: [roll1].

If Pebbles acts before any creatures in the room, she moves and attacks the nearest creature, ending on the northwest corner of that creature's space. Attack roll:[roll2] for [roll3].

If Soona acts before creatures in the room, she uses firey burst to attack the one Pebbles attacks, and any adjacent ones as well, she stays at the door. [roll4]

ooh! Pebbles Earth Mastery is not in those rolls. It likely applies...

Tanaric
2010-02-09, 11:54 AM
Opening the door reveals the following room:{table]|A_|B_|C_|D_|E_|F_
1||||||
2||||||
3||||||
4||||1||
5||||||
6||||||[/table]

There is a door at A-6, west side, which you are just outside of, another at E-1, and another at F-4.

There is a kobold in the room, garbed in a chain shirt and holding a short sword.

Tanaric
2010-02-09, 11:56 AM
The kobold moves into the doorway, shadows wrapping around his body as he goes (20% concealment).

A small fire elemental appears behind you, lasting just long enough to distract you as the kobold stabs at you, then disappears.

[roll0] (including flanking) vs flatfooted AC for [roll1] + [roll2]

If it hits, make a will save.

Can't take immediate actions while flatfooted.

Pebbles misses.

Chemus
2010-02-09, 09:59 PM
Fortunately, that's a miss thanks to Mage Armor (about 50-70 rounds used of 600, as near as I can tell).

Am I able to modify the details of those actions? If not, they stand. If I may, pebbles will go through the floor to avoid AoO in order to flank the Kobold sorcerer-rogue-beguiler-thing, rather than be on its north, and Soona will adjust 5' west, after pebbles' attack, and then blast the NW Corner of its space.

Does a 19 hit the Kobold or was the miss probably due to concealment? If concealment is an issue, pebbles' roll is [roll0], 21+ being good. And does the Kobold make its save vs the burst?

Edit: I'm probably toast; I looked and I never said that I cast mage armor; While trying to figure how best to word pebbles' instructions, I had put in that Soona cast mage armor when Pebbles got back and they left, but I must have deleted that. I'm sorry.

Chemus
2010-02-09, 10:05 PM
Will save; since I don't actually seem to have mage armor going [roll0]

Tanaric
2010-02-11, 11:36 PM
You pass the will save.

I believe you're unconscious currently?

Pebbles missed because he missed, not because of concealment.

Is there any plan for Pebbles other than to attack the Kobold, or is it a battle of kobold vs earth elemental, with Soona's life in the balance?

Chemus
2010-02-16, 09:59 PM
Soona puts stuff in Pebbles' bag waiting for her to wake up, she also uses on of those rounds to conjure up a HP via CmW, once her hearing clears up. (Down to two CmW.) Soona also takes 15 minutes to fill her last 1st level wizard slot with another Nerveskitter. After Pebbles wakes, she casts Mage Armor (1h) and goes out the east door at E-3, and over to the north door of the next room to the east. Pebbles is at the left of the door, and when Soona opens the door, Pebbles goes in through the wall (Oh, Yeah!!), instructed to attack the nearest creature in the room.

Initiatives: Soona (w/nerveskitter) [roll0], Pebbles:[roll1]
Soona will firey burst the farthest creature on her turn for [roll2], DC17 (if you'd rather not have the DC, just say...). Pebbles will move and slam attack the nearest creature, on the ground, if possible: [roll3], for [roll4], +1 on each of those for a 'grounded' creature.

Wahoo! Soona is up! I DID cast mage armor!

term1nally s1ck
2010-04-10, 08:54 PM
well, in that case, it'd be your action. Also, NECROTHREAD