PDA

View Full Version : Goo, Glorious Goo [Three 3.5 Spells]

Voidhawk
2010-02-01, 05:41 PM
My friend just came up with this flavorful line of spells for a slightly lower powered version of 3.5 he's building, and I thought you might appreciate them. :smallamused:
Feel free to P.E.A.C.H., as all constructive criticism is apreciated.

Gooball
Conjuration (Creation)
Level Sorc/Wiz 2
Components V, S
Casting Time 1 Standard Action
Range Medium (100ft + 10ft/level)
Target One target
Duration 1 round/level
Saving Throw Reflex partial, see text
Spell Resistance No

This spell flings a small ball of alchemical goo at the target, gluing them in place. The target becomes entangled, and must make a reflex save or be rooted to the spot. If they are rooted, they may make an Escape Artist or Strength check vs the spell's DC to break free as a full round action. The goo may be scraped off, freeing the target, by an ally spending 2 rounds, or two allies spending 1 round.

Glorious Gooballs
Conjuration (Creation)
Level Sorc/Wiz 4
Components V, S
Area 20ft Radius Spread
Duration 1 round/level
Spell Resistance No

A hail of gooballs covers a 20ft radius spread, slathering all in the area with alchemical gunk. All within the area are entangled, and must make a reflex save or be rooted in place, as in Gooball.

Ghastly Goo-Storm
Conjuration (Creation)
Level Sorc/Wiz 6
Components V, S, M
Effect 20ft Radius Sphere; 1 cube/level, see text
Duration 1 round/level
Spell Resistance No

A massive wave of goo crashes onto the area, saturating all inside the radius with horrible, malicious gunk. This causes all within to become entangled, and they must make a reflex save or become rooted in place as in Glorious Gooball. In addition it summons up to 1 Gelatinous Cube per level, which may be placed anywhere inside the radius of the spell, with a maximum of one/10ft cube. Note that as the spell is spherical (and the cubes are...cubic), they may be stacked, though they will flatten and spread outwards immediately on their turn. They may appear inside a creature's space, and a rooted creature will immediately be engulfed (see the Monster Manual for more on Gelatinous Cube engulf attacks). A non-rooted creature will not be engulfed, but the cube will still appear in their space. The Gelatinous Cubes are immune to the effect of the goo, and are in no way under the control of the caster.

jokey665
2010-02-01, 06:04 PM
Minor nitpick: You don't need the "This spell cannot be dismissed" line. The spells already can't be dismissed because you have them listed as "1 round/level" and not "1 round/level (D)"

Voidhawk
2010-02-01, 06:10 PM
Minor nitpick: You don't need the "This spell cannot be dismissed" line. The spells already can't be dismissed because you have them listed as "1 round/level" and not "1 round/level (D)"

Right, I'll change it. I just wanted to get across the fact that the Cubes you summon are going to wreak uncontrolable havoc on everything around them, with little chance to stop them.

DracoDei
2010-02-01, 06:50 PM
The last one needs language showing that the cubes are immune to the goo (if only because they arrive after the chance to get trapped in the goo happens).

I like them... both less limited and less powerful than Web... What levels do you recommend for games that AREN'T powered down? (or are those already it?)

Voidhawk
2010-02-01, 07:01 PM
Good point, I'll change it so they're immune.
Making the first two 1 level lower might make them more in-line with other spells, but they have quite good utility as they are. They can hit flying creatures for one, and have Medium range. Mostly they work quite nicely in his world because Conjuration no longer has any ways of dealing damage. No Orb spells, and Evard's Tentacles have been given the whipping they deserve.
Also, just for the hilarity of covering an area in Gelatinous Cubes.