PDA

View Full Version : What construct would you have?

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-01, 08:39 PM
Given the possiblilty of your character posessing any construct as a protector, what would you have? NUTRENO GOLEM DOESN'T COUNT!

I would probably go with a Grisgol, despite their difficult and expensive construction, to have a free casting of one of each spell from 0th through ninth once per day is pretty tough to pass up. I would probably give it (using core only) Prismatic Sphere, Maze, Greater Teleport, Acid Fog, Baleful Polymorph, Greater Invisiblity, Vampiric Touch, Resist Energy, and Color Spray.

And no, I wouldn't want to spend the 250000xp it would cost to give it wish once a day, wouldn't even be smart enough to use it anyways.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-01, 08:42 PM
I'd have a dedicated wright homunculus. All those tasty magic items it created would protect me better than any normal construct ever would.

RandomNPC
2010-02-01, 08:45 PM
medium size warforged. Least then i'd have someone to talk to when i'm bored.

Xenogears
2010-02-01, 08:48 PM
Wicker Man. Gain Fire Immunity. Let that thing on fire. Ride around in its Chest Cage. Closest thing to a mech I can think of in DnD off the top of my head.

jiriku
2010-02-01, 08:52 PM
I had a stone golem once. Great toy. We used it to set off traps and pound open locked doors. It was effectively the party rogue. I was sad when I leveled up to the point where I had to start leaving the golem at home to keep it from getting broken.

tahu88810
2010-02-01, 08:58 PM
A Female <Censored> Golem - Book of Erotic Fantasy

Dr.Epic
2010-02-01, 09:02 PM
Animated object. Not sure what. I just like the idea of freaking people out with it. Like if a bully ever tried to steal my lunch, say hello to the lunch box that bites back.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-01, 09:04 PM
Does a mimic psychic warrior count? Because having whatever 'animated object' I wanted that could change size and shape at will, and could auto-grapple basically anything it wanted, would be spectacular.

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-01, 09:06 PM
Does a mimic psychic warrior count? Because having whatever 'animated object' I wanted that could change size and shape at will, and could auto-grapple basically anything it wanted, would be spectacular.

Sorry, aberration, not a construct.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-01, 09:08 PM
Sorry, aberration, not a construct.Well, there's a template you can add to any living creature to make a construct out of it (no, not half-golem). It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember what it is for the life of me.

Add that to a mimic.

The Glyphstone
2010-02-01, 09:10 PM
There's Effigy, but an Effigy loses most of its cool abilities.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-01, 09:12 PM
There's Effigy, but an Effigy loses most of its cool abilities.Yeah; that's what I was thinking of. I found it here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869266/Master_Template_List) right before I saw you had responded. Thanks.

Darrin
2010-02-01, 09:15 PM
Given the possiblilty of your character posessing any construct as a protector, what would you have?

I'm rather partial to Slaughterstone Eviscerators myself (MM3). Although the Dragonflesh Golem has a 120' fly speed (MM2).

Xenogears
2010-02-01, 09:18 PM
Wait. I want to change mine. I want the Cadaver Collecter. That ting is badass.

Admiral Squish
2010-02-01, 09:35 PM
Hmmmm... Well, there are some cool things that could be done. Are topiary Guardians plants or constructs?

A packmate would be pretty convenient...

Maybe one of those little spy-bird homonculi.

Ryuuk
2010-02-01, 09:39 PM
Perhaps a Warforged Raptor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070618a&page=5)? Large size means I can ride it, so it'd be a sentient practically sentient, rock flinging, flying machine. It'd be pretty fun.

SurlySeraph
2010-02-01, 10:06 PM
Shadesteel Golem. It's a stealthy, flying magic robot that shoots death lasers.

JeminiZero
2010-02-01, 11:39 PM
In terms of raw power without having to pay the cost myself? An Aleax (Deity made copy construct) of something really powerful (preferably another Deity, although I will settle for any suitable epic moster with the ability to grant free wishes).

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-01, 11:59 PM
In terms of raw power without having to pay the cost myself? An Aleax (Deity made copy construct) of something really powerful (preferably another Deity, although I will settle for any suitable epic moster with the ability to grant free wishes).
Well, it does have the disadvantage of singlemindedly trying to kill whoever it is a copy of. and upon victory, it is destroyed itself. So...good luck with that.

Eldariel
2010-02-02, 12:03 AM
Hm, probably a Warforged Cleric. Being able to gain class levels & think > any amount of inherent power. Only way to gain Epic Spellcasting for a Construct, for one.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-02, 12:13 AM
An ice assassin of, say, Vecna? Loyal to you? I dunno about you guys, but having my own pet deity is rather appealing (despite his lichiness).

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-02, 12:39 AM
Only way to gain Epic Spellcasting for a Construct, for one.HAHAHAHAHA

Also, I would template a Packmate to hell and back. Just for the image. Really, any character should have Hormunculi, there's a bunch of fun ones. For power, Effigies can be awesome, depending on what you make them of. I'm fond of choosing something with Swallow Whole and huge size, then riding inside them. :smallcool:

Splendor
2010-02-02, 06:08 AM
Elder Eidolon, Greater Cadaver Collector if your just allowed any.

If you have to make if yourself Dedicated Wright Homunculus.

Xenogears
2010-02-02, 10:29 AM
Hm, probably a Warforged Cleric. Being able to gain class levels & think > any amount of inherent power. Only way to gain Epic Spellcasting for a Construct, for one.

Maug are thinking constructs that advance by Class Levels. So fie on your puny warforged.

Slayn82
2010-02-02, 10:49 AM
A large Blade Guardian from complete warrior, with at will alter self instead of spell storing.

Now it can become any other construct that is large or smaller, and thanks to the existance of animated objects it means any object or construct Large or a little smaller. Vehicles, computers, fridges, safes, pianos, guillotines, ladders, you name it.

Vizzerdrix
2010-02-02, 10:57 AM
A Gondsman.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-02, 11:02 AM
An Astral Construct. Because I can name him Charizard.

hamishspence
2010-02-02, 11:04 AM
Nimblewrights (MM2) combine intelligence, an ability to disguise themselves as humanoids, and very nasty pop-out blades. They aren't exactly T-1000s, but those three traits mean they could perform almost as well in that sort of role.

Weezer
2010-02-02, 11:38 AM
I'd say slaughterstone eviscerator, nothing says awesome like 4 massive adamantine blades.

Eldariel
2010-02-02, 11:42 AM
Maug are thinking constructs that advance by Class Levels. So fie on your puny warforged.

My puny Warforged has more levels. So ha!

Xenogears
2010-02-02, 01:58 PM
My puny Warforged has more levels. So ha!

Whats that? A swarm of Allips is after you?

Optimystik
2010-02-02, 02:19 PM
I'll go with a Psiforged Psion, because he can hide himself in my room as a box or something (Metamorphosis) all day and still manifest whatever powers I need. Or he turns himself into a ball and I carry him around, and he can still manifest powers for me.

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-02, 02:23 PM
I'll go with a Psiforged Psion, because he can hide himself in my room as a box or something (Metamorphosis) all day and still manifest whatever powers I need. Or he turns himself into a ball and I carry him around, and he can still manifest powers for me.*Throws ball*

"I choose you, Peekaboo!"

*Gets slapped by DM*

Ormagoden
2010-02-02, 02:54 PM
I'd just take voltron.

SurlySeraph
2010-02-02, 03:19 PM
I'm shocked at the lack of support for Shadesteel Golems. Perhaps this exchange will convince you of their value:

what do you even need them for

I hadn't really thought that far ahead

I just wanted some, because, you know

They're evil robots from an alternate dimension that fly and spit zombifying lightning. Why would I not want one?

dsmiles
2010-02-02, 04:20 PM
Hrm...shadesteel golems...works for me!

Masaioh
2010-02-02, 04:45 PM
Either a Mithral Golem or an Elder Eidolon Tarrasque.

AslanCross
2010-02-02, 05:35 PM
Nimblewrights (MM2) combine intelligence, an ability to disguise themselves as humanoids, and very nasty pop-out blades. They aren't exactly T-1000s, but those three traits mean they could perform almost as well in that sort of role.

This. I would like to have an intelligent ninja golem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_King_of_Braves_GaoGaiGar_protagonists# Volfogg) shadow my every move to protect me.

Magnor Criol
2010-02-02, 05:51 PM
I think it's a toss up for me between Dedicated Wright, Shadesteel Golem, and Shield Golem.

A Dedicated Wright's crafting is, as pointed out, excellent.

Shadesteel Golems...well it's already been said why Shadesteel Golems are just plain awesome. =p

And there's something just classy about Shield Golems. Not sure exactly what it is but I like those suckers.

Volkov
2010-02-02, 05:53 PM
Adamantine Colossus. Why? Because it screams, I'm so rich I can make an entire colossus out of this ultra-expensive crap bitches!

The Glyphstone
2010-02-02, 06:21 PM
I think it's safe to say the Adamantine Colossus is off-limits, since it'd have to be printed in the same souce as the Neutronium Golem, which was explicitly mentioned as not allowed.

Adamantine Golems are fair game though. I'd prefer a Mithril Golem myself, it's shinier.

Akal Saris
2010-02-02, 07:32 PM
I'd take a Battle Horror personally. I fell in love with them in 2E, since they're intelligent suits of armor that can fly, shoot magic missiles, teleport, blink, and have magical flaming swords. They're almost as badass in 3.5 (Lost Empires of Faerun) too.

Edit: Hey! Barbarian in the Playground now!

Volkov
2010-02-02, 07:33 PM
In that case, Merchurion for me. A giant T-1000 is always awesome.

Cieyrin
2010-02-02, 07:56 PM

Man, beat me to it. Ah well, I guess I'll just go with one with class levels, as I believe that's viable. Also, despite the horrible LA, I think I'd actually play one, given half the chance...

Foryn Gilnith
2010-02-02, 08:43 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070618a&page=5

It was mentioned earlier, but skimmed over. It's a nice thing to have, but its low power level marks me as an unambitious fellow - exactly the position I want to have with all these superpowered mecha running around. I should probably find something faster, but eh.