PDA

View Full Version : Inventive ways of opening a door

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-01, 11:44 PM
Recently I opened a door in a dungeon from a distance using a dagger and a rope, I wonder how many other different ways doors can be opened.

LibraryOgre
2010-02-01, 11:47 PM
Large amounts of explosives.
Specially trained troll.
Battering ram.

Harperfan7
2010-02-01, 11:47 PM
Adrenaline & Metallica

Tavar
2010-02-01, 11:48 PM
Never tried this myself, but cast animate object on the door. Not only does it open, but it attacks as well!

Narazil
2010-02-01, 11:49 PM
I just attempted grappling hook + rope in The Neverending Dungeon..

I'd forgotten there was no where to attach the grappling hook. But still.

dragoonsgone
2010-02-01, 11:49 PM
Fire!
Liquid Nitrogen and a hammer.

SurlySeraph
2010-02-01, 11:50 PM
Mage Hand. Animate Rope. Summoned creatures. Flexible weapon + grapple check. Throwing something heavy at it.

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-01, 11:52 PM
I just attempted grappling hook + rope in The Neverending Dungeon..

I'd forgotten there was no where to attach the grappling hook. But still.

That's why a dagger works!

TheOOB
2010-02-01, 11:59 PM
Use major image to make the door look open and that your party ran through, then channel the spirit of the Roadrunner and have the stupid ogre chasing you run into it.

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-02, 12:00 AM
Shrink item on the lock.

Lapak
2010-02-02, 12:04 AM
Take an axe (if wooden) or a pickaxe (if stone) to the doorframe, until the door falls out of it.

drengnikrafe
2010-02-02, 12:04 AM
Most of the really clever ways have been stated. I really like OOB's.

That being said, I find myself a little bit fond of just Dimension Dooring to the other side.

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-02, 12:07 AM
I rather like Roy's method (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0565.html)

Glimbur
2010-02-02, 12:07 AM
First, be a bard.

Second, use Fascinate on a hireling or nearby monster.

Third, use Suggestion to get them to open the door.

Weirder idea: cast Animate Object on the door. Have the psion manifest Time Hop on the door-creature. Run through before it pops back.

oxinabox
2010-02-02, 12:08 AM
my faverate was an elevator door (thin is in nWoD:CtL)
we were stuck between floors on an elevator,
I punched out the bottom of the elevator putting us one floor below where we wanted to be.
I'ld had a contract on Hearth put on me, and then i invoked a contract of stone.
the thickish steel crupled like tin foild acter i rfeducted it's durability by 8.
My origi nal plan want ot climb to the top of the elevator, into the shaft.
and punch through the concrete shart and the floor.
But the party didn't believe i could do it.

In DnD we cam to a door, it wouldn't open.
we weren't feeling patient. so Me and the other fighter took out out Addy Weapons and proceeded to cut it down.
Weeks latter i asked the dm how we were supposed to open the door.
"Oh, that. I was about to descibe a button next to it. when you interupted me."

deuxhero
2010-02-02, 12:08 AM
Use that silent door disk item, then animate the door.

Harperfan7
2010-02-02, 12:16 AM
Knock + diplomacy, or just cast Knock.

Adamantine bludgeoning weapon (dwarven lockpick).

Disintegrate it or the wall/ceiling/floor around it.

In the spirit of your post, I don't have anything to add, there's only so many ways to open a door, and in D&D, they generally require special items, skills, or spells.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-02, 12:31 AM
Recently I opened a door in a dungeon from a distance using a dagger and a rope, I wonder how many other different ways doors can be opened.

Knock, and wait for someone to open it.

FlamingKobold
2010-02-02, 12:32 AM
One time the party paladin used smite evil... what a malicious door it was too.

My all time favorite way involved 4 golems, a vat of acid, 8 acid resistant chains, 3 commoners and a half-fiend housecat. Don't ask.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-02, 12:32 AM
Animate Objects, followed by Detonate.

Alternatively, Open/Close.

Unless it's made of adamantine or some other resilient material, you can use an adamantine dagger to just cut the whole door out of its frame.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-02, 12:44 AM
Knock, and wait for someone to open it.In an RPG?!? What are you thinking?

OracleofWuffing
2010-02-02, 12:48 AM
Custom item "Speedo of Opening," which casts knock 3/day and is quite stylish.

Roc Ness
2010-02-02, 12:51 AM
Shatter the lock and gust of wind it open?

Transmute rock to mud around it and push it down, frame and all?

deuxhero
2010-02-02, 01:00 AM
One time the party paladin used smite evil... what a malicious door it was too.

Fun fact, smite evil only fails to work when used on non-evil creatures, as opposed to only working on evil creatures, so inanimate objects are a valid smite target.

Eurus
2010-02-02, 01:01 AM
First, be a bard.

Second, use Fascinate on a hireling or nearby monster.

Third, use Suggestion to get them to open the door.

Weirder idea: cast Animate Object on the door. Have the psion manifest Time Hop on the door-creature. Run through before it pops back.

Time Hop works just fine on objects, and that's one of my favorite uses for it.

Invisibility on the door and let the ogres on the other side crash through it works pretty well too. :smallbiggrin:

Katana_Geldar
2010-02-02, 01:09 AM
Could you do an Indy and use a whip or a spiked chain?

AngelisBlack
2010-02-02, 01:09 AM
Top 5 ways to open a door, according to my players and myself.

1. Kick it open, like an action hero.
2. Ghost Sound to simulate the sound of an explosion. Wait for people inside to rush out.
3. Shatter the hinges or the lock of a big door.
4. Lesser orb of cold on a small metal door, then a warhammer.
5. Drill hole in a wooden door, throw the pearl from the dust of dryness in, make sure door is secured with iron spikes. Minions inside said room will unlock the door before they all drown.

toasty
2010-02-02, 01:13 AM
Shamus Young shows us how some players get around locked doors (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=680)

That is perhaps my all-time Favorite Strip from the DM of the Rings. :smalltongue:

I say you should SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER! Just because its a brilliant, brilliant plan, I tell you! :smallwink:

gorfnab
2010-02-02, 01:18 AM
Fabricate spell

Tyndmyr
2010-02-02, 01:18 AM
Shrink Item is a favorite.

Alternatively, there's the SPC orb that just makes a hole through everything.

FMArthur
2010-02-02, 06:41 AM
"I attack the door with all of my might, using Leap Attack, Heedless Charge, Banzai Charge and a mighty roar for added effect."

The fragile wooden door is no match for your stupid damage-multiplying charge attack and shatters inwards. The startled peasants inside the hut give you wide-eyed looks of terror and confusion.

This is the way one of my players explores every damn town. That's right, he's just exploring; he does this with no objective in mind beyond smashing a door to pieces and peering briefly inside at the inhabitants. I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it hilarious, though.

Irreverent Fool
2010-02-02, 06:46 AM
Who needs to open doors when you have invisibility?
on the doors
obnoxious
sig

Soranar
2010-02-02, 07:17 AM
I like this one

draw explosive runes on a celestial monkey's hand

have it read them while standing next to the door

oxinabox
2010-02-02, 07:45 AM
I kinda like the Tactical approch.
as in Tactical Weapons,
Tactial as in they provide a tactical advantage.
tactical advantage such as a terrain adavantage

Heavy Explosives are an example of a tactical weapon useful in this siutuation
Nuclear 150mm Attillery shell, has it's pro's and cons.
it will get the door and the building out of your way (Upto and including a large office block)
It doesn't present that much of an radiation risk.
No fallout.

Remove the door, not by cutting it down, or removing the door frames
(dm's always remember to make the wall out of somehting harder to break than the door:smallbiggrin:).
Remove the door by removing the whole damn building (or city if avaliable)

Optimystik
2010-02-02, 08:05 AM

The only weird part of that is animating it. You can Time Hop regular doors just fine.

Malacode
2010-02-02, 08:30 AM
Custom item "Speedo of Opening," which casts knock 3/day and is quite stylish.

Use activated, key "word" is a pelvic thrust. Thrust the door open!

Merk
2010-02-02, 08:36 AM
Animate Objects + Something to make the door sentient + Irresistible Dance

Alternatively, Animate Objects + Something to make the door sentient + Perform (Comedy). Get clear so that you can pass through when the door falls over laughing.

Tokiko Mima
2010-02-02, 08:44 AM
Baleful Utterance. Open the door by swearing at it in Dark Speech. F&*$%in' door! :smallbiggrin:

Cicciograna
2010-02-02, 08:46 AM
Wish. Or Miracle.

Roderick_BR
2010-02-02, 08:50 AM
Fun fact, smite evil only fails to work when used on non-evil creatures, as opposed to only working on evil creatures, so inanimate objects are a valid smite target.
Inanimate objects are not evil, therefore it doesn't work.
A thing most people forget, though, is that you still gain the Cha bonus to the attack roll. You just doesn't add the level to the damage if the target is not evil.

To the OP: a 10ft pole :smallbiggrin:

FMArthur
2010-02-02, 09:43 AM
Inanimate objects are not evil, therefore it doesn't work.
A thing most people forget, though, is that you still gain the Cha bonus to the attack roll. You just doesn't add the level to the damage if the target is not evil.

To the OP: a 10ft pole :smallbiggrin:

My PHB tells me that Smite Evil adds Charisma to my attack roll and 1 extra damage per Paladin level, but that it has no effect if I accidentally smite a creature that is not evil.

What is yours telling you?

BRC
2010-02-02, 09:47 AM
I prefer the spell Summon Door.

It is usually rather similar to a Disintegrate spell, or a barbarian with an Adamite greataxe.

Or charging in with your magical tank (I built one once, it was awesome).

Radar
2010-02-02, 09:50 AM
Two pages and nobody mentioned Wood Shape and it's bigger brother Stone Shape? Or are those stock options for opening doors? :smallconfused:

Signmaker
2010-02-02, 10:12 AM
Ahem.

SKELERAAAAAAAAAM!

lsfreak
2010-02-03, 02:16 PM
5. Drill hole in a wooden door, throw the pearl from the dust of dryness in, make sure door is secured with iron spikes. Minions inside said room will unlock the door before they all drown.

Yes, that inch of water of the floor is surely terrifying. [People often overestimate how much water 100 gallons is. It's about a two-and-a-half-foot cube. Filling my dormroom to waist-high would take something like 50 dusts of dryness. Compare that with an actually decent-sized room, and enough to actually warrant a threat beyond wet socks...]

Unseen servants, assisting each other if needed.
A suggestioned/charmed/dominated/diplomanced monster from the previous room.

RandomLunatic
2010-02-03, 02:34 PM
# Whatever: Use the party Warforged as a battering ram.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-03, 02:44 PM
Lock picks.
When that fails?A Barbarian Lockpick. (http://pathfindertrue20.wdfiles.com/local--files/equipment/earthbreaker.JPG)

AirGuitarGod32
2010-02-03, 02:53 PM
Way 1: Shrink Frame on door. Oodles of fun

Way 2: Exploding Runes + Dwarf Barbarian with int of 6

Way 3: Druid + Triceretops Wildshape + Bullrush

However, I can make my own door......

Stone to Flesh spell + fireball = open door and lunch!

Optimystik
2010-02-03, 02:56 PM

That's disgusting :smallannoyed:

AirGuitarGod32
2010-02-03, 02:57 PM
That's disgusting :smallannoyed:

I can't breathe I'm laughing so hard....

The DM hated me when I did that. He hurled his Bag of Holding full of D&D sourcebooks at me.

Tiktakkat
2010-02-03, 03:04 PM
Adamantine Lockpick + Wall = Never having to trigger the trap on the door, or find the DC Excessive secret door

Ormagoden
2010-02-03, 03:13 PM
Rusting grasp on hinges/lock
Make a key out of wood or metal with Minor creation/Fabricate
Wood shape if the door is wood of course
Transmute rock to mud on the stone surrounding the door and simple pull it out of the mud
Summon rhino GO!
Dancing battering ram (yeah, I said it!)
Tree shape into a dead log and BE the battering ram
Summon a swarm of rats or locust to eat the door
Use a rod of lordly might

Haven
2010-02-03, 03:16 PM
I like to release a mechanism within the door by manually applying torque to the knob, and then likewise applying a force either towards or away from me, based on a thorough examination of the hinges.

No one ever seems to think of that.

Reaper_Monkey
2010-02-03, 03:18 PM
I disbelieve the door. Sometimes it actually works too!

Ravens_cry
2010-02-03, 03:19 PM
However, I can make my own door......

TOASTY!
. . .and Tasty!

Cespenar
2010-02-03, 03:57 PM
Long ago in one of my games, one player opened up a locked door by casting a Ray of Frost or two at the lock and then smashing it with the hilt of his dagger. Including the DM, we all thought that it was clever enough and just went with it.

Stompy
2010-02-03, 04:11 PM
Batman wizard dim. doors to the other side, wins initiative, pwns any encounter there, and then opens it from the inside.

Or use dominate person on a bad guy, and have him open everything.

Or, if the door is unlocked, open it. :smallsmile:

Starfols
2010-02-03, 04:44 PM
Get the barbarian to throw my character the kobold very, very hard at it :smallfrown:.

ericgrau
2010-02-03, 05:06 PM
empowered sonic substituted fireball with an acid energy admixture for 1.5x10d6 sonic + 10d6 acid damage. Y'know in case it has energy resistance against one of them.

randomhero00
2010-02-03, 06:21 PM
I like this one

draw explosive runes on a celestial monkey's hand

have it read them while standing next to the door

Don't taunt the dynamite monkey!

Randel
2010-02-03, 08:18 PM
4e wizard: use mage hand to open the door if its unlocked
4e wizard: use prestidigitation to keep summoning tiny keys out of thin air and try them until one of them opens the door if its locked with a mindane key.
4e wizard: use scorching burst, ray of frost, cloud of daggers, or thunder wave on the door as long as you need until it breaks.

warforged (or other creature that has no need for food, water, air or fear of dying of old age): just stand in front of the door until some event causes it to open. As long as you have a decent amount of patience and none of those weak fleshy companions who tend to die of old age then you could easily wait years decades or centuries if need be.

Though this approach might not be the best if you have a deadline to meet... though if its one of those cases where the BBEG is counting on you bringing him the McGuffin or something then this could easily thwart his plans and save the world.

Weezer
2010-02-03, 09:13 PM
Repeated uses of Baleful Utterance until doorway is clear. Then step through.

ShadowFighter15
2010-02-04, 06:23 AM
Write explosive runes onto a bit of paper and slide it under the door along with some money. Guy on the other side picks up the money, reads the note and now you've got an open door and a dead guard. Just hope that the money survives the blast.