PDA

View Full Version : Norse Mythology in Pop Culture=Religion?

Dr.Epic
2010-02-02, 12:46 AM
So awhile ago I started a similar thread like this asking if Norse mythology did in fact count as religion. Branching out on a similar topic, does any sort of media (film, TV, comic book, novel, RPG) that deals with Norse mythology (or any other myth or legend for that matter) count as talking about religion. I remember someone mentioning talking about the gods (even gods named and based of mythical deities) in D&D was okay. I'm wondering if it's cool to talk about myths, legends, fables, gods and other such stories if they are involved in a work of modern fiction. Specifically, I'm asking if it's okay if I make a thread for the 2011 Thor film based on the Marvel comics of the same name.

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-02, 12:59 AM
If you just talk about the movie, and not religious aspects of it, fine, but inevitably someone will address the religious aspect of it and the thread will get locked.

I wrote this a while back in a slightly different context, but it sums up the answer you're seeking...

I would suggest that if it's purely fictional and everyone knows it's purely fictional, it might be okay. But the second anyone starts talking about real world politics or religion (even historical and without regard to how long ago), that's going to get locked. As you'd expect, odds are such a thread is going to lead some people into a real life discussion/analogy and get them in trouble and the thread locked.

Also, I've said "might" twice above; it was intentional. Historical fiction presents a particularly difficult area because some parts of it are unavoidably based on real world events, and when those events are political or religious...well, you know.

As previously noted here in Board Issues, we acknowledge that such a rule makes it difficult or impossible to discuss historical fiction, alternative histories, etc. here. It's a policy decision made long ago at the highest level to make the bar on real world religion and politics a complete one - even to the extent it interferes with or prevents discussion relevant to gamers, comic-lovers, etc.

Bottom line, I suspect your proposed [discussion] would run into trouble here, yes.