PDA

View Full Version : Rules question -politics

Strawberries
2010-02-02, 01:51 AM
I'd like to ask a clarification of the rules. I posted in a thread saying I like protest songs, expecially partisan songs from our Resistance (I'm Italian).

Problem is, you can't get much more political than partisan songs from the resistance, so I didn't elaborate further or linked to anything.
My question is if it would have been alright to elaborate on the song as a song. I didn't want to discuss politics (and I wouldn't have), but it seemed the political implication was inherent to the medium. How should I act in those cases? Err to the side of caution and completely avoid the topic, or try to siscuss it avoiding mentions of forbidden topics as real-world politics?

Thanks in advance!

Athaniar
2010-02-02, 02:10 AM
As long as you treat the song as just a song, it should be all right (although it is certainly a dangerous topic). I ran a thread on national anthems a while back, and managed to avoid political debate (assuming I haven't repressed any memories).

Temotei
2010-02-02, 02:38 AM
You should probably ask a moderator or administrator before elaborating. Best be safe with it, right?

Roland comes to mind.

rakkoon
2010-02-02, 02:54 AM
My thread about American expressions lead to anthems and then to a locked thread :smalleek:. It not only depends on your song but also on how the other people react to your point. I would guess mentioning the song is no problem, just don't explain the lyrics or the ideology behind it.

Killer Angel
2010-02-02, 03:12 AM
It not only depends on your song but also on how the other people react to your point. I would guess mentioning the song is no problem, just don't explain the lyrics or the ideology behind it.

Rakkoon has a point here.
Discussin "bella ciao" and "faccetta nera" (respectively italian anti-fascist and fascist song), from a merely musical PoV, it's possible, and it's easier if people don't know the language and the meaning of the text, but sooner or later, the political issue will arise.
Political songs cannot be discussed without referring to real world politics: such songs live thanks to a specific contest, such Contessa di Pietrangeli (to remain in Italy and classes clash), many songs of Inti Illimani, or Joan Baez (more international artists).

hamishspence
2010-02-02, 03:40 AM
I wonder if songs from political allegories (like Beasts of England from George Orwell's Animal Farm), count?

Killer Angel
2010-02-02, 05:05 AM
I wonder if songs from political allegories (like Beasts of England from George Orwell's Animal Farm), count?

Probably not from the beginning, but I think it's a very thin ice, the one we would walk on.
The same if we start discussing the music of Jesus Christ Superstar. Dangerous argument, with high chance to go against the rules since the first page.

@ Strawberries: I would not touch the arguments... eventually, PM Roland first.

_Zoot_
2010-02-02, 06:52 AM
I had this same question except about Hymns and I literally just sent (read: under a minuet ago) a PM to Roland to ask that question, I wish I had read this first. Eh, no harm done,

I hope...

Roland St. Jude
2010-02-02, 07:59 AM
Such songs seem inherently political, and, therefore, prohibited. Unless you really intend to discuss only the musicality, that post itself is out of place here, and even then, some poster in the first page following will take it to the obvious political realm and we'll end up with another locked thread.

Please just give these prohibited topics a wide berth.