PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the goblins?

iwarriorpoet
2010-02-02, 09:42 AM
Does it bother anyone else that there aren't any actual goblins in Red Cloak's army---just hobgoblins? He is so heck bent on raising up the prospects of his race, but he doesn't have any actual goblins following him? Seems odd.

hamishspence
2010-02-02, 09:44 AM
This is explained in the comic- Redcloak and Xykon, after losing all their goblin minions, returned to Xykon's old lair and found hobgoblins living there, took command of them, and lead them on Azure City.

Note that now, there are goblins in the crowd- because monsters are flocking to the new nation as a safe haven.

PallElendro
2010-02-02, 09:45 AM
The south only contained hobgoblins, as did the fortress that Xykon recruited, and Recloak followed. The goblins probably were mercy kill for the paladins in Start Of Darkness, and maybe for the Hobgoblin City, they were some little kill off scouts.

iwarriorpoet
2010-02-02, 09:47 AM
This is explained in the comic- Redcloak and Xykon, after losing all their goblin minions, returned to Xykon's old lair and found hobgoblins living there, took command of them, and lead them on Azure City.

Note that now, there are goblins in the crowd- because monsters are flocking to the new nation as a safe haven.

Really? I haven't seen any. (Not questioning your veracity---just my spot check)

hamishspence
2010-02-02, 09:49 AM
See previous comic- with a better pic of the crowd.

iwarriorpoet
2010-02-02, 09:50 AM
See previous comic- with a better pic of the crowd.
(sigh).
Yup.
My bad.

hamishspence
2010-02-02, 09:53 AM
Still hoping bugbears will make an appearence- so far, there has only been the one in the SoD book- where the gods are creating the humanoid races.

Though there was that one Blue (psionic goblin subrace) seen in flashback in the O-chul interrogation strips.

SaintRidley
2010-02-02, 10:00 AM
I'm taking it that's a DStP bonus strip? If it's one of the online ones, could I have a link, because I never noticed.

Rad
2010-02-02, 10:15 AM
there you go (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0546.html)

SaintRidley
2010-02-02, 10:25 AM
Thanks. Had completely forgotten that one.

Allan Surgite
2010-02-02, 10:31 AM
Still hoping bugbears will make an appearence- so far, there has only been the one in the SoD book- where the gods are creating the humanoid races.

Though there was that one Blue (psionic goblin subrace) seen in flashback in the O-chul interrogation strips.
It isn't referring to the blue sub-race of goblins. Minor SoD background spoilers;

It is, in fact, representing the Dark One; that's why it's so high above everyone else, to represent that he's a deity worshipped by many beings, or is at least now the primary deity of Gobbotopia.

As for the goblins, most of them were wiped out - either by the Order of the Stick, or by Xykon having a bit of fun. Since most of the goblins were probably in the North, it's going to take time for them to migrate from the north.

Sanguine
2010-02-02, 10:39 AM
It isn't referring to the blue sub-race of goblins. Minor SoD background spoilers;

It is, in fact, representing the Dark One; that's why it's so high above everyone else, to represent that he's a deity worshipped by many beings, or is at least now the primary deity of Gobbotopia.

As for the goblins, most of them were wiped out - either by the Order of the Stick, or by Xykon having a bit of fun. Since most of the goblins were probably in the North, it's going to take time for them to migrate from the north.

What the heck are you talking about? He was referring to the Psion in this comic.

there you go (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0546.html)

Not the flag.

hamishspence
2010-02-02, 10:54 AM
Yes- I was speculating on goblinoid subraces that have yet to make an appearance in the main strip.

I already saw the speculation that the purple star represents the Dark One- and agree with it.

Allan Surgite
2010-02-02, 10:58 AM
Oops. I was skimming through the thread and was under the impression that you had thought that the purple star was representing the Psionic Goblin subrace.

My apologies ^^;

hamishspence
2010-02-02, 11:01 AM
No problem.

Maybe Gobbotopia will be shown in more detail, with a few exotic monsters in amongst the goblinoids?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-02, 11:13 AM
Y'know, the Dark One could easily have been a blue... right skin tone.

hamishspence
2010-02-02, 11:19 AM
As I recall from SOD, The Dark One was a much more vivid shade of purple.

DsTP shows him in the "character page" (who worships whom, who wants to control whom, and so on) in "normal art" rather than "crayon art"- again, he looks a little different in shade.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-04, 11:59 PM
Does it bother anyone else that there aren't any actual goblins in Red Cloak's army---just hobgoblins? He is so heck bent on raising up the prospects of his race, but he doesn't have any actual goblins following him? Seems odd.

He conquered the hobgoblin nation and thus that is why there are only hobgoblins. I'm fine with this so long as it's not these type of hobgoblins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobgoblins_(film)).

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-05, 01:04 AM
Lets just say that working for xykon has some benefits, but its really not worth it to invest in the retirement plan.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-06, 12:37 AM
Lets just say that working for xykon has some benefits, but its really not worth it to invest in the retirement plan.

True That. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0037.html)