PDA

View Full Version : Olgrim: The DMM(Persist) Monkey

Zom B
2010-02-02, 12:59 PM
So I decided to build one of these DMM(Persist) Clerics. This thread is not to boast, but to see if you can spot any glaring errors before I take him to the game table and also to be informational for anyone aspiring to play one of these to see what I chose as my persist targets.

Notes: The rolling method was d20 eight times, reroll on anything less than 6 (our local rolling method). A houserule is in place that when creating a character above level 10, that there is a 1000gp deduction off any magic item, to a minimum of 0gp. I know I can extend these persisted spells, but I'm fine with this spell selection. If the DM makes me get rid of the nightsticks, I can pull off most of these buffs by buffing in two-day rotations. Before buffing every morning, Olgrim uses the Karma bead from his Strand of Prayer Beads to increase his caster level from 14 to 18.

Unbuffed:
Olgrim: Male Human Clr14; CR 14;
Medium Humanoid (human);
HD 14d8+56; hp 140;
Init +4; Spd 30 ft/x4;
AC 17 (+3 shield, +4 dex), touch 14, flat-footed 13;
Base Atk/Grapple +10/+15;
Full Atk +19/+14 +1 Holy Flaming Vicious Morningstar (1d8+9;20/x2);
SA&SQ Spontaneous Casting, Restricted Spells, Turn Undead(Su), Domains;
SR 0; AL NG; SV Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +16;
Str 20(+5), Dex 18(+4), Con 19(+4), Int 15(+2), Wis 24(+7), Cha 20(+5);
Skills: Concentration¹ +23, Heal¹ +22, Jump¹ +8, Knowledge (religion) +19, Spellcraft +21, Swim¹ +7.
Skill Tricks: Suppress.
Traits: .
Flaws: Inattentive (UA Pg 91) : -4 on Listen and Spot checks., Shaky (UA Pg 91) : -2 on all ranged attack rolls..
Maneuvers and Stances: .
Feats: Extra Turning (PH 94), Extra Turning x2, Extra Turning x3, Extra Turning x4, Extend Spell (PH 94)², Divine Metamagic (CD 80) (Persistent Spell), Persistent Spell (CAr 81), Extra Turning x5(User), Extra Turning x6(User).
Grafts: .
Equipment: String of Prayer Beads (Karma), Ring of Enduring Arcana, Fanatic (+1 Holy Flaming Vicious Morningstar), +1 Heavy steel shield, Nightstick x9, Periapt of Wisdom +4, Augury Bones, Miscellaneous mundane equipment.
Racial Abilities:
• Base land speed of 30 feet.
• Bonus Feat: 1st level bonus feat
• Favored Class: Any
Class Abilities:
• Spontaneous Casting: Can spontaneously cast Cure spells, by sacrificing
a pre-prepared spell of equal or higher level.
• Restricted Spells: cannot cast Evil spells.
• Turn Undead(Su): Can turn undead 72 times per day. A turning check is
made on 1d20+7; turning damage is equal to 2d6+19 on a successful check.
• Domains:
¤ Planning: Free Extend Spell feat.
¤ Spell: You get a +2 bonus on Concentration and Spellcraft checks.

Buffed:
Olgrim: Male Human Clr14; CR 14;
Large Humanoid (human);
HD 14d8+70; hp 158;
Init +9; Spd 30 ft/x4;
AC 52 (+4 armor, +14 shield, +9 dex, -1 size, +2 natural, +5 deflection, +9 misc), touch 32, flat-footed 43;
Base Atk/Grapple +14/+28;
Full Atk +36/+36/+31/+26 +1 Holy Flaming Vicious Morningstar (2d6+23;20/x2);
SA&SQ Damage Reduction 9/evil(Ex), Spontaneous Casting, Restricted Spells, Turn Undead(Su), Domains, Immune to Acid, Cold, Electricity, and Fire;
SR 30; AL NG; SV Fort +28, Ref +31, Will +30;
Str 30(+10), Dex 28(+9), Con 21(+5), Int 15(+2), Wis 24(+7), Cha 20(+5);
Skills: Concentration¹ +24, Heal¹ +22, Jump¹ +13, Knowledge (religion) +19, Spellcraft +21, Swim¹ +12.
Skill Tricks: Suppress.
Traits: .
Flaws: Inattentive (UA Pg 91) : -4 on Listen and Spot checks, Shaky (UA Pg 91) : -2 on all ranged attack rolls.
Maneuvers and Stances: .
Feats: Extra Turning (PH 94), Extra Turning x2, Extra Turning x3, Extra Turning x4, Extend Spell (PH 94)², Divine Metamagic (CD 80) (Persistent Spell), Persistent Spell (CAr 81), Extra Turning x5(User), Extra Turning x6(User).
Grafts: .
Equipment: String of Prayer Beads (Karma), Ring of Enduring Arcana, Fanatic (+1 Holy Flaming Vicious Morningstar), +1 Heavy steel shield, Nightstick x9, Periapt of Wisdom +4, Augury Bones, Miscellaneous mundane equipment.
Racial Abilities:
• Base land speed of 30 feet.
• Bonus Feat: 1st level bonus feat
• Favored Class: Any
Class Abilities:
• Damage Reduction(Ex): 9/evil
• Spontaneous Casting: Can spontaneously cast Cure spells, by sacrificing
a pre-prepared spell of equal or higher level.
• Restricted Spells: cannot cast Evil spells.
• Turn Undead(Su): Can turn undead 72 times per day. A turning check is
made on 1d20+7; turning damage is equal to 2d6+19 on a successful check.
• Domains:
¤ Planning: Free Extend Spell feat.
¤ Spell: You get a +2 bonus on Concentration and Spellcraft checks.

Persisted Buffs:
1. Divine Favor (1) (PHB): +3 luck bonus to att & dmg rolls
2. Shield of Faith (1) (PHB): +5 deflection bonus to AC
3. Divine Power (4) (PHB): BAB = char lvl, +6 enh bonus to STR, 18 temp HP
4. Recitation (4) (SpC): +3 luck bonus to attack rolls, AC, and saves
5. Divine Agility (5) (SpC): +10 enhancement bonus to dexterity
6. Righteous Might (5) (PHB): Increase size, +4 size bonus to STR, +2 size bonus to CON, +2 enh bonus to nat armor, DR 9/evil
7. Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (5) (SpC): +3 morale bonus to att & dmg rolls, one extra attack at highest BAB
8. Spell Resistance (5) (PHB): SR 12 + CL = 30
9. Conviction (1) (SpC): +5 morale bonus to all saving throws
10. Shield of Warding (3) (SpC): +4 sacred bonus to shield and reflex saves
11. Holy Star (7) (SpC): numerous effects, including a +6 circumstance bonus to AC and a 9d6 ranged touch attack as a free action
12. Anyspell: Wraithstrike: Melee attacks are treated as touch attacks

Extended Buffs:
1. Greater Magic Weapon (5) (PHB): +4 enhancement bonus
2. Magic Vestment: Clothing (3) (PHB): +4 enhancement bonus
3. Magic Vestment: Shield (3) (PHB): +4 enhancement bonus

Regular Buffs:
1. Superior Resistance (6) (SpC): +6 resistance bonus to all saving throws
2. Energy Immunity: Cold (6) (Spc)
3. Energy Immunity: Fire (6) (Spc)
4. Energy Immunity: Acid (6) (Spc)
5. Energy Immunity: Electricity (6) (Spc)

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-02, 01:05 PM
One thing I didn't see was Divine Spell Power. Burn a TU attempt, gain a boost to CL based on that attempt. For those buffs of yours that are CL-dependent, may be a good idea.

Zom B
2010-02-02, 01:16 PM
Didn't see that feat. Might consider that one. I have a little wiggle room on the money, so I could trade in one of the Extra Turnings for another couple of Nightsticks and take that.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-02, 01:18 PM
Obligatory. Read the entire page. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.420)

Eldariel
2010-02-02, 01:25 PM
Few things.

1) Try to fit some Ankhs of Ascension there. If you can get the Complete Divine-version, awesome, but a few of the MiC versions are nice too (and cheap). Also, Monk's Belt is nice, probably better than your shield.

2) You seem to have persisted some Touch-range spells, which is somewhat questionable (the range varies depending on your size). This is mostly Divine Agility and Spell Resistance.

3) There are some v. good spells you don't have Persisted, like Surge of Fortune [CC], Vigor/Vigorous Circle [SPC] and then there are some cross-class spells that could be nice. Greater Invisibility, Heart of X-series, Contingency, etc.

Of course, some PrCs would be better than straight Cleric getting you more Domains and such. But yeah, basic-good build.

Fawsto
2010-02-02, 01:28 PM
Are your DM ok with this... You know... DMM Persist is cheese...

Recitation and Divine Favor's luck bonus stack?

Also, if you do this a lot, expect DMs dispel bots to start popin' around.

Zom B
2010-02-02, 01:49 PM
Are your DM ok with this... You know... DMM Persist is cheese...

It's fairly common for our games to be high-optimization arms races between characters. One guy in our game is a 14th level wiz/sor/ultimate magus/master transmogrifist (I don't know the actual levels of each) that shapechanges into lots of mighty nice things that can cast as clerics or sorcerers, etc. Another is a weretiger barbarian with some nice damage output. We also have some sort or rogue/swordsage that delivers oodles of sneak attacks per round.

Recitation and Divine Favor's luck bonus stack?
Not to the attack rolls, no. Divine Favor will probably be dropped in favor of Greater Anyspell

Also, if you do this a lot, expect DMs dispel bots to start popin' around.
I prepared for that, too. Go ahead and dispel my spells. My caster level on them is 22. Good luck.

Raptor2213
2010-02-02, 06:07 PM
Surge of Fortune [CC], Vigor/Vigorous Circle [SPC] and then there are some cross-class spells that could be nice. Greater Invisibility, Heart of X-series, Contingency, etc.

Surge of Fortune and Contingency cannot be persisted, as they have effects that discharge them.

Also, for the record, I am neither were-tiger, nor barbarian.

Zom B
2010-02-03, 08:30 AM
Also, for the record, I am neither were-tiger, nor barbarian.

Bah, were-tiger, were-lion; barbarian, fighter - it's all the same. I keep forgetting from what were-template you based your were-leopard. It's a cat, that's all I remember. At least I speak fondly of you on here without knowing that you were lurking.

Eldariel
2010-02-03, 01:08 PM
Surge of Fortune and Contingency cannot be persisted, as they have effects that discharge them.

Regarding Contingency, why the bloody would you want to Persist a spell that lasts days/level? And that clause in Persist is...arguable; that clause could be read to mean that spells that only have an effect discharged would function. Since Surge of Fortune gives the +2 Luck to everything, under such a reading it'd be persistable.

Grushvak
2010-02-03, 01:14 PM
9 Nightsticks? Expect your DM to pick up one them to beat you over the head with.

Raptor2213
2010-02-04, 05:12 AM
Bah, were-tiger, were-lion; barbarian, fighter - it's all the same. I keep forgetting from what were-template you based your were-leopard. It's a cat, that's all I remember. At least I speak fondly of you on here without knowing that you were lurking.

Still HALFWAY wrong.

I'm a Were-Dire-Snow-Leopard* (Using the STATS of a Were-Lion), and I'm a Fighter/Warshaper (soon to be mixed with Crusader and Dragon Slayer, as well as a few more, NO MORE DRAGON FEAR! >_< )

*Regular leopards weren't as powerful as I liked. Based off size, lion was a close approximation to a Dire version of a Leopard.

hamishspence
2010-02-04, 05:30 AM
Pumas have the same stats as leopards.

And there is a Dire Puma statblock in Sandstorm.

So if a campaign was being played with dire lions, tigers, and leopards, and the leopards are wanted to be mechanically different, this is an option.

Still, Lion can work as well.