PDA

View Full Version : Which non-Doctor who System would be best for a Doctor who Campaign?

Raynn
2010-02-02, 02:06 PM
I've really wanted to run a Doctor who Campaign ever since the last season ended but I can't get Cubicle 7's new Doctor Who RPG:smallfrown: and I don't much like the old Fasa RPG or the Timelord one from the nineties.

Any other system you would reccomend? Mutants and masterminds? D20 modern etc?

Also how would you run it? Stories ideas, methods, Doctor PC vs. NPC, etc...

I plan to run it either on these boards or with my local group in the near future.

Any help is much appreciated:smallbiggrin:

Gnaeus
2010-02-02, 02:14 PM
GURPS with the time travel supplement.

I wouldn't let PCs be Dr. Who. Time agents, other time lords who escaped the war, and companions should be a good party.

kentma57
2010-02-02, 02:17 PM
BESM(Big Eyes, Small Mouth) an open ended system that can run just about anything with little to know tweaking. The basic idea is that the rules cover most posible abilities, races, setting, equipment... in your setting and then some, the trick is to say what your players can't take. With a bit of sculpting I have run it with everything from giant robot battles to fantasy deamon worlds. SRD: http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/animesrd.html (though I prefer the printed book)

ps: By the way the rules for the doctors type regeneration are in there.

bosssmiley
2010-02-02, 02:34 PM
RISUS. No, really. Four character shticks, and you have to blag how the one you choose is relevant to the situation at hand. It's pure "Dr Who".

Raynn
2010-02-02, 02:43 PM
Gnaeus: Normally I would agree but from what I've seen of the Cubicle 7 RPG and its influences(Angel and Buffy RPGs from Eden studios, the games with which I have had my longest running campaign, of which I was GM) it is possible to balance very powerful characters with characters no where near as powerful.

In my Angel and Buffy RPG campaign, Drama points (a similiar system called story points exist in the cubicle 7 RPG) allow extremely powerful characters to be equal in control(not power) to weaker characters.

Also seeing as my Campaign will start with 10 regenerating into an alternate 11 I feel a PC doctor is the best way to have the players accept the new Doctor.

I'll deffinitely look into Gurps, thanks:smallbiggrin:

kentma57: I'll read up on it thanks:smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley: I'll look into Risus too, awesome username by the way, if it's a reference to what I think it is.

Any more game system suggestions or story suggestions? Adventure ideas? GM advice?:smalltongue:

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-02, 03:19 PM
+1 for Risus.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff. Also, it can boil an egg at 30 paces, whether you want it to or not, actually, so I've learned to stay away from hens. It's not pretty when they blow."

This kind of stuff? Risus was made for it.

Lysander
2010-02-02, 03:29 PM
I was also thinking Risus and GURPS. Both let you do pretty much anything, except Risus has a fast and loose system with minimal rules, while GURPS has a really comprehensive and wide ranging set of rules. It's really a matter of preference.

Raynn
2010-02-02, 04:38 PM
My brother just gave me the Cubicle 7 RPG PDF because he's going away for a while so I'm going to use that but thank you all for everything. If any of you are interested I'll be placing the recruitment thread up soon:smallbiggrin:

Also if you have any ideas for the campaign feel free to share:smalltongue:

Jayabalard
2010-02-02, 04:45 PM
GURPS with the time travel supplement.Seconded; I have the older GURPS time travel book (and I'm not sure if was ever updated or not) but it's a very good resource for any time travel campaign. It helps you address all of the questions of "how time travel/dimensional travel works" so that you can do anything from Dr Who, to Quantum Leap, to Millennium, to Terminator style time travel.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-02, 04:51 PM
Call of Cthulhu

Optimystik
2010-02-02, 04:58 PM
Call of Cthulhu

You beat me to it. Roll sanity check.

Jayabalard
2010-02-02, 05:00 PM
I realize you've already got a system....

but here's a Dr Who Fan suppliment (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ianmcdonald/ftp/gurps/gurps-doctor-who.txt) FWIW

Raynn
2010-02-02, 06:11 PM
The Recruitment Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7812320&posted=1#post7812320) is up if any of you would like to check it out:smallsmile:

GenPol
2010-02-02, 06:14 PM
+1 to BESM, although GURPS would be a good choice too.

Tinydwarfman
2010-02-02, 07:01 PM
Sure risus is great if you don't mind having 2 pages of actual rules, but personally I would rather just do some sort of free-form. GURPS is the best and most generic system out there, just grab infinite worlds/time travel (time travel would be better but can be hard to find), and you are ready to go. BESM is also generic (though not so much as GURPS) but has an anime base, so that might not be your cup of tea.