PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Trickster: Removing level restriction

Draxar
2010-02-02, 03:24 PM
The Cabinet Trickster is a Changeling PrC from Races of Eberron. It gives Changelings some of the abilities of their doppleganger heritage – skill bonuses, Read thoughts at will by 5th level, and the full version of the Change Shape ability. It also gives you a couple of feats, and the ability to do 'Thought Tricks'.

These are essentially messing with someone's mind in a minor fashion. They take a standard action, or a swift/immediate if already reading someone's thoughts. They let you daze, force a concentration check on a spellcaster, stun or confuse the target. Save is 10 + class level + charisma. So, DC 20 or thereabouts isn't unreasonable for a focused trickster. However, they only work on people with Hit Dice equal or lower than your character level.

Which seems a little unfair. Now, they can grow claws through Change Shape into something with such, so they do have some combat ability, but the Thought Trick is their primary offensive power I'd say. And to flat out exclude high hit dice creatures, many of which will be less intelligent (and thus arguably easier to mess with the minds of), on the basis of them being tough, does seem a bit unreasonable.

Thus I ask, would it break the class to remove the restriction?

Also, as a vauge aside, I'm considering adding Wanderers Diplomacy and Master Manipulator (both social-based Tactical Feats), to their feat list, as they both seem appropriate.

Gametime
2010-02-02, 03:48 PM
Removing the hit die restriction would make the class only subpar, instead of pitifully weak. The save DC is still pretty low and scales poorly, and the effects they create aren't that powerful to begin with. The class could use some serious buffs to make it worth taking.

Draxar
2010-02-02, 03:51 PM
Removing the hit die restriction would make the class only subpar, instead of pitifully weak. The save DC is still pretty low and scales poorly, and the effects they create aren't that powerful to begin with. The class could use some serious buffs to make it worth taking.

I can live with that. I'm the optimiser in a group that don't, thus I can take weaker classes, optimise 'em, and do interesting things without leaving the rest of the party in the dust.

Riffington
2010-02-02, 05:00 PM
And to flat out exclude high hit dice creatures, many of which will be less intelligent (and thus arguably easier to mess with the minds of), on the basis of them being tough, does seem a bit unreasonable.

It makes them overpowered at "boss fights around level 11". Otherwise, no.