PDA

View Full Version : Meetup 4th Annual Southeast Trogland Meetup! Get your tickets now!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Gitman00
2010-02-02, 03:26 PM
Another awesome year!

Who:
Confirmed:
Alarra
Atreyu the Masked LLama
Bardic Bunny
catlover
Ceika
Cristo Meyers
Diva De
Gitman00
Gryffon
Indurain
Krade
LadyMeyers
Lex-kat
LightWraith
mangosta71
Mountain_Faerie
Penguinsushi
Philistine
RabbitHoleLost
Reinholdt
smellie_hippie
Supagoof
Tantolian
tyckspoon
The Valiant Turtle
Trog
wxdruid
Zaragon
Zeb The Troll
ZombieRockStar

Possible:
Coidzor
Deth Muncher
Froogleyboy
Jack Squat
Lord Blace
Lostfang
reorith
Shadow
skywalker
SweetRein
Thanatos 51-50
Thes_Hunter
The Vorpal Tribble
wadledo
What: Ropes course, Mid City Grill, board and card games, beer, Kubb, possible one-shot DnD or other RPG adventures, Rock Band and other video games

Local games library:

Hex Hex and Hex Hex Next
A Touch of Evil and Something Wicked
Ticket to Ride card game
Ticket to Ride
Bang
Poker chips/cards
Munchkin
Phase 10, cards and dice
Scurvy Musketerrs of Spanish Main and Berserker Halflings
Guilotine
Killer Bunnies
Tiki Mountain
Set
OOTS
Time's Up
Every Ticket to Ride (including expansions, dice variant & card game)
Shadows over Camelot w/ Merlin's Company
Pirate's Cove
Pillars of the Earth
Carcassonne w/ about 4 expansions
Settlers of Catan (base game only)
Talisman
You've Been Sentenced
The Penguin Ultimatum
Card games including Quiddler, My Word, Set, 5 Crowns, Xactika, Scrabble Slam, Fluxx, and a small array of more "normal" card games (uno, skipbo, rook, canasta, several decks or standard cards).

Feel free to bring your own!
Additional ideas welcome!

Where: Johnson City, TN.

- Festivities traditionally begin at the Hippie Hut. PM smellie_hippie (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=12325) for address/directions.

- Local hotels (with reviews by our very own smellie_hippie):

-- Best Western (http://www.bestwesterntennessee.com/)
--- Decent hotel, easy access right off I26, very close to all planned events.
-- Carnegie Hotel (http://www.carnegiehotel.com/)
--- very nice hotel but also VERY EXPENSIVE, spa facilities available, very easy access right across the street from ETSU (central location in Johnson City)
-- Comfort Inn (http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel/tn444)
--- This hotel was close access to previous Hippie Hut, and was frequented by previous meet-up attendees. Easy access and very decent proximity to local planned events
-- Comfort Suites (http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-johnson_city-tennessee-TN264?promo=gglocal)
--- I believe this hotel is a little less accessible. Close to I26, but might need some additional directions...
-- Courtyard (Mariott) (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/trijc-courtyard-johnson-city/)
--- Brand new hotel, so likely to be costly. Fairly easy access and fair proximity to events.
-- Days Inn (http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=04490&as_srp=SP2&cid=carat_search-Days_Inn)
--- Stay Away!! :smallyuk: (But I'll leave it up here as a last resort)
-- Doubletree Hotel (http://www.doubletreejohnsoncity.com/)
--- Decent hotel, easy access with good proximity to events. A little more costly because they have indoor/outdoor pool facilities.
-- Econo Lodge (http://www.econolodge.com/)
-- Hampton Inn (http://www.hamptoninnjohnsoncity.com/)
-- Holiday Inn (http://www.holidayinn.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/jncws?&url=true&stopredirect=true&cm_mmc=mdpr-_-googlemaps-_-hi-_-jncws&dp=true)
-- Holiday Inn Express (http://www.hiexpress.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/jncjc?&stopredirect=true&dp=true)
-- Jameson Inn (http://www.jamesoninns.com/)
-- Quality Inn & Suites (http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-johnson_city-tennessee-TN544?promo=gglocal)
-- Ramada Limited (http://www.ramada.com/Ramada/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=12383&cid=carat_search-Ramada)
-- Red Roof Inn (http://www.redroof.com/)
-- Sleep Inn & Suites (http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-johnson_city-tennessee-TN259?promo=gglocal)
-- Super 8 Motel (http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=03207)
-- Value Place (http://www.valueplace.com/)
- Local Playgrounders with possible sleeping space:

-- Penguinsushi/Bardic Bunny
-- smellie_hippie/Mountain_Faerie

When: 24-27 June 2010

Why: Because we can!

How: GPS devices are wonderful, but there is also Mapquest. :smallbiggrin:

There is no admission fee, but donations are appreciated!

Mordokai
2010-02-02, 04:17 PM
Not gonna make it... again!

If there were ever any doubt, rejoice! They were just lifted.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-02, 04:24 PM
I just mapquested the distance from Tulsa to JC, and its like fourteen hours by car.
I'm not sure my Jeep POS can make that...but I suppose I could try. Anyone on the way from OK to TN thinking about going who'd like to carpool with me? <<

Thes Hunter
2010-02-02, 08:39 PM
It is looking like I will be traveling around the country trying to make the most of my break at that time. So put me down as a definite maybe. :smallcool:

Mountain_Faerie
2010-02-02, 08:42 PM
GITMAN!!! We missed you!!

How are things? Where are you? We're glad you're coming this year! :smallbiggrin:

smellie_hippie
2010-02-02, 08:52 PM
The who is always to be determined as the date gets closer.

The when is always the last weekend in June. I guess this year that would fall around June 25th through June 27th (early arrivers come possibly on the 24th).

The where is also set as Johnson City, with a few changes as to our usual locations. There is a new Hippie Hut and some venues have closed, but our stand-bys of the ropes course and Mid City Grill are still on schedule.

We of the SE Trogland clan have not yet gathered to discuss any new ideas or events, but rest assured there will be enough activites to keep any playgrounder happy and fulfilled!

So come on down, and get a chance to see what is fast becoming one of the coolest OOTS traditions!*

*to be determined when we get The Giant to come to one of these things...

Dirk Kris
2010-02-02, 09:30 PM
Gryffon and I talked about it and we will most likely be attending. Put us down as possible.

Penguinsushi
2010-02-02, 09:32 PM
Yay for this thread!

Also, as Faerie pointed out - I guess you're coming this year then (Gitman)?! Awesome!

As usual, We at the Igloo can put up 2ish lodgers. Krade gets dibs on the couch if he's coming again this year and wants it. The rest of the interested parties can fight over Spare 'Oom. I suggest jousting.

~PS

LightWraith
2010-02-02, 09:58 PM
I was wondering if this thread was ever going to pop up :smallwink:

Put me down for a possibly. I will have to look over my finances for that time then decide for sure.

I hated missing it last year, so I'm going to do everything I can to make it this year. Don't be too excited :smallbiggrin:

Recaiden
2010-02-02, 10:16 PM

How are things? Where are you? We're glad you're coming this year! :smallbiggrin:

Mountain Faerie! That's all. I won't be making it to Tennessee.

tyckspoon
2010-02-02, 10:55 PM
I'll be there, even if I have to quit work unannounced to do it! (I'm joking. I have actual vacation time this year.)

reorith
2010-02-02, 10:59 PM
a six hour drive? i'm in possibly. i don't know about work and the like though :/

skywalker
2010-02-02, 11:08 PM
The who is always to be determined as the date gets closer.

The when is always the last weekend in June. I guess this year that would fall around June 25th through June 27th (early arrivers come possibly on the 24th).

The where is also set as Johnson City, with a few changes as to our usual locations. There is a new Hippie Hut and some venues have closed, but our stand-bys of the ropes course and Mid City Grill are still on schedule.

We of the SE Trogland clan have not yet gathered to discuss any new ideas or events, but rest assured there will be enough activites to keep any playgrounder happy and fulfilled!

So come on down, and get a chance to see what is fast becoming one of the coolest OOTS traditions!*

*to be determined when we get The Giant to come to one of these things...

I was reading the first few posts thinking "man, I hope Gitman isn't announcing a meetup that depends on whether or not someone else wants to host it..." But good, now I can relax.

Put me down for "probably" this year. My current girlfriend lives between here and there and would probably be much more tolerant of me missing two potential days with her to hang out with this motley crew. Plus, I'm 21 now. :smallwink: So, party!

d13
2010-02-02, 11:48 PM
Might this be a good place for me to tell that I hate you all for being like... A whole Continent (well, two, if you want to get nitpick-y) away? :smallannoyed:

Have fun :smalltongue:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-03, 12:35 AM
I wonder if I could convince my boyfriend to come with...
On one hand, it would be cool. On the other...well, he's much less nerdy and I don't think he'd get it >>

Mando Knight
2010-02-03, 12:39 AM
I wonder if I could convince my boyfriend to come with...
On one hand, it would be cool. On the other...well, he's much less nerdy and I don't think he'd get it >>

I'd get it, but I don't think anyone's going to try to pick up some random kid from Rolla MO for a thing goin' down in Tennessee, especially when he's just some poor college kid.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-03, 12:51 AM
I'd get it, but I don't think anyone's going to try to pick up some random kid from Rolla MO for a thing goin' down in Tennessee, especially when he's just some poor college kid.

Well, you're not too much out of the way...
And I'm always willing to help a vod out.

Could you drive part of the way, maybe? Because I imagine I'd have to leave after school on the thursday before, which means I'd get to you about six-ish that night, and it takes ((according to Mapquest)) eleven hours to get from Rolla to JC =P

Coidzor
2010-02-03, 01:03 AM
Hmm. Might be able to. Depends on so many factors it's not even funny right now.

I can't remember, what rough time-period does this usually occur in? Julyish?

Recaiden
2010-02-03, 01:08 AM
Hmm. Might be able to. Depends on so many factors it's not even funny right now.

I can't remember, what rough time-period does this usually occur in? Julyish?

So yeah. One factor closer to being funny.

Krade
2010-02-03, 01:18 AM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! YEAH!!!

As usual, We at the Igloo can put up 2ish lodgers. Krade gets dibs on the couch if he's coming again this year and wants it.

~PS

Wouldn't miss it for the world:smallbiggrin:

I'll be there, even if I have to quit work unannounced to do it! (I'm joking. I have actual vacation time this year.)Really!?!? Me too!! HIGH FIVE!!! So... Same deal as last year? Pretty sure I still have your number around here somewhere...

Seriously though, I probably won't be using my vacation days on Trogland since I will probably only have to miss one day of work for it... wait a sec... *does maths...* nevermind. I get three whole days this year so I guess I'll use one for Trogland and the other two for GenCon (last year kinda broke me for around a month).

*Can't wait*

Mando Knight
2010-02-03, 01:19 AM
Oh, last weekend in June. That changes things: my summer is completely up in the air right now. And I'd be coming from the St. Louis area rather than Rolla unless I get an internship out somewhere else.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-03, 01:28 AM
Pretty much what I said in the Gencon thread:

I'd love to come, but probably won't due to lack of planning ahead/finances.

:smallfrown:

Also, 25th? It's on mah birthday!:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Philistine
2010-02-03, 03:24 AM
Wouldn't miss it. Pretty sure Mangosta will be in as well, when he gets to work tomorrow and sees this.

I just mapquested the distance from Tulsa to JC, and its like fourteen hours by car.
I'm not sure my Jeep POS can make that...but I suppose I could try. Anyone on the way from OK to TN thinking about going who'd like to carpool with me? <<
Would your Jeep POS make it as far as Little Rock?

Jack Squat
2010-02-03, 07:28 AM
Put me down as "maybe." I've got some plans that still need to be hammered out, but I'm going to try to at least drive up for a day.

Cristo Meyers
2010-02-03, 11:48 AM
Yeah, like I'm going to miss this. :smalltongue:

LadyMeyers and I will be there, one way or another.

Reinholdt
2010-02-03, 11:51 AM
Yay for this thread!

Also, as Faerie pointed out - I guess you're coming this year then?! Awesome!

As usual, We at the Igloo can put up 2ish lodgers. Krade gets dibs on the couch if he's coming again this year and wants it. The rest of the interested parties can fight over Spare 'Oom. I suggest jousting.

~PS

I'll likely be there. And wouldn't mind bumming a room off someone.
>>
<<
*hint hint*
*nudge nudge*
*wink wink*
*SHOVE*

Penguinsushi
2010-02-03, 12:04 PM
@Krade: Haha. I figured as much. Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

@Philistine & Cristo: Also glad to hear you'll be joining us again! :)

@Rein & others: Yeah, I'm an idiot. :smalleek: Something didn't occur to me until *after* I made my original post: ArchivesNinja is no longer local, and, being one of our closest friends, generally stays in our Spare 'Oom when she's in town. IF she's going to make it this year (and we're really, really, REALLY hoping she does - but i'm trying not to assume), she kinda has perpetual dibs on that one. If, for some sad reason, she can't make it or makes some other arrangements, you'll be first on the list.
That said, we *do* have a little extra room if completely necessary, and since i prematurely offered I kinda feel like a jerk for backing out - SO, if Krade wouldn't mind sharing the livingroom or if you (or someone else) would like to camp out in our office (with or without our beagle Ally to keep you company) (byob - bring your own bedding - in both cases), I'm cool with that.
Again, sorry. :smallfrown:

Can't wait to see everyone again... ...in about 5 months :smallcool:

~PS

Reinholdt
2010-02-03, 12:15 PM
But Ally will eat my tail again! :smalleek: :smalltongue:

I'm totally fine with being crammed in an office with a dog. I can sleep pretty much anywhere. And have in some cases (bathroom tile floor anyone?). And I've had many a dog in my bed at night.

But if it doesn't work out, I'll get something alternative arranged so don't overly worry.

Penguinsushi
2010-02-03, 12:24 PM
But Ally will eat my tail again! :smalleek: :smalltongue:

I'm totally fine with being crammed in an office with a dog. I can sleep pretty much anywhere. And have in some cases (bathroom tile floor anyone?). And I've had many a dog in my bed at night.

But if it doesn't work out, I'll get something alternative arranged so don't overly worry.

Haha. She sleeps in her crate (out of tail-biting range, I'm pretty sure), but if she's gonna whine a lot or whatever, we can put her outside. Also, in case you don't remember, we have hardwood floors, so I'd recommend an air mattress or at least a camping pad (I don't think we have an extra). Wish the 'accommodations' were a bit better for you, but if you're ok with all that, you're welcome to crash here. :smallsmile:

So that puts at Krade, Rein & ArchivesNinja penciled in. I do believe the Igloo has sold out in record time!

~PS

smellie_hippie
2010-02-03, 12:34 PM
So that puts at Krade, Rein & ArchivesNinja penciled in. I do believe the Igloo has sold out in record time!

Space at the Hippie Hut will primarily depend on the "presence or abscence" of our children. If they are in Charleston, we will have two additional bedrooms. If they are at home, we will have a couch, a futon, and some possible extra "floor space" for other folks.

Typically we give Zeb and Alarra first dibs (being regulars and all) but after that it gets kinda.... random. We've housed Troglodytes, bikers, and so on...

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-03, 01:18 PM
Obviously you need to add cookiemonsters to that list.:smalltongue:

Sometime...

smellie_hippie
2010-02-03, 02:19 PM
Obviously you need to add cookiemonsters to that list.:smalltongue:

Sometime...

Your name is permanently reserved, should you make it state-side sometime. :smallbiggrin:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-03, 02:33 PM
Would your Jeep POS make it as far as Little Rock?

I'm certain it could.

Supagoof
2010-02-03, 03:30 PM
Aw yeah!

Put me down as a definite.

Now Mrs. Goof may or may not be with me. Since last years episode I was told I could not make such long trips by myself anymore, so she'd have to come with. However, the full weekend of games and all of us talking about forums stuffs make her un-easy. So it will either be - she comes with and takes comfort in knowing she's right there should anything happen, or she doesn't and worries the entire weekend, but doesn't have to feel un-easy around people.

I'm hoping I can convince her to come, because her car is much more comfortable to travel in. Plus she needs to learn why I loves you guys so much.

Either way, I got an medical upgrade since last year. Goof 2.0 will make the trip. Not only will I have spare supplies, but constant monitoring of my BS levels will avoid any potential hospital entanglements.

So - to our Fair Hippie or Hip Faerie - since Hippie Hutt 2.0 is up an running, any suggestions on which hotels to start booking rooms at?

And perhaps we should claim that we're Jehovah Witnesses* to see if we can get a group rate discount or something.

*FYI - A JW convention was going on at one of the hotels last year

Gitman00
2010-02-03, 03:35 PM

Yep, back from a year in Korea, got a new wife, and bought a house in southern VA. :smallbiggrin: It was a blast, but it's good to be back.

Also, as Faerie pointed out - I guess you're coming this year then (Gitman)?! Awesome!

Unless something dire comes up, absolutely. :smallsmile:

smellie_hippie
2010-02-03, 03:35 PM
You know... maybe following the lead of GenCon, we shoudl investigate SPA activities for (reluctant) spouses?

Hotels that have a pool and nearby theatre for movies is an easy one. Day-spa for massage and the like? Nearby nature trails for hikes and photography? Outlet malls for shopping that won't totally break the bank?

I'm just spitting out ideas now. Nearby hotels with access to facilities, restaurants and movie theatre would be... the Double Tree (http://www.doubletreejohnsoncity.com/). I'll look into the oter ideas.

Thes Hunter
2010-02-03, 03:57 PM
Aw yeah!

Put me down as a definite.

Now Mrs. Goof may or may not be with me. Since last years episode I was told I could not make such long trips by myself anymore, so she'd have to come with. However, the full weekend of games and all of us talking about forums stuffs make her un-easy. So it will either be - she comes with and takes comfort in knowing she's right there should anything happen, or she doesn't and worries the entire weekend, but doesn't have to feel un-easy around people.

I'm hoping I can convince her to come, because her car is much more comfortable to travel in. Plus she needs to learn why I loves you guys so much.

Either way, I got an medical upgrade since last year. Goof 2.0 will make the trip. Not only will I have spare supplies, but constant monitoring of my BS levels will avoid any potential hospital entanglements.

So - to our Fair Hippie or Hip Faerie - since Hippie Hutt 2.0 is up an running, any suggestions on which hotels to start booking rooms at?

And perhaps we should claim that we're Jehovah Witnesses* to see if we can get a group rate discount or something.

*FYI - A JW convention was going on at one of the hotels last year

Goof - I am nailing down dates, but there is a good possibility that I may be in Minneapolis right before the JC meet-up. If so, transportation to will be no problem, we would just have to work out transportation from.... (which could still be me)

Coidzor
2010-02-03, 04:28 PM
So yeah. One factor closer to being funny.

Gah. I hate missing posts like that. I guess my myopia isn't limited to the distance I can see without glasses...x.x

Hmm. I may be within travel distance then. Now to find out when/if my parents are moving this summer...

Mountain_Faerie
2010-02-03, 06:15 PM
If you guys want, we can check to see how many rooms we would have to reserve to get a block rate. A discount could help, *ahem* DD *ahem*, right?

I'm very, very excited about seeing all you guys! Goof, there are all kinds of spas, cool shopping an hour away, and wonderful people to hang out with. I think the spouses would feel at home once we got them here. I mean, you've already been adopted, brother. It'd be great to meet our sister-in-law! :smallwink:

Trog
2010-02-03, 09:16 PM
My job allows for very little vacation time during the year so I need to save those for emergencies/illness and such. Most likely not coming. I hereby bequeath any Hippie Brew that I might have consumed to Zeb & Alarra. :smallamused:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-03, 09:27 PM
I'm bummed out that I'm STILL not going to be old enough to drink with you guys this year, and only by around a month :smallannoyed:

Crimmy
2010-02-03, 09:28 PM
If I could somehow get my Passport, visa, and school finished by that time, I would.

Krade
2010-02-03, 09:51 PM
I'm bummed out that I'm STILL not going to be old enough to drink with you guys this year, and only by around a month :smallannoyed:

Bummer. There didn't seem to be a problem with anyone in the party room of GenCon '07 that I was under age at the time... though, in retrospect, they might not have known. And it was only one drink.

But the other problem is that in JC we are hanging out in mostly public places and that wouldn't be a good idea. One month from 21 in a hotel room? OK. In a restaurant? Not so much.

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-04, 02:38 AM
Huzzah!

Of course, Alarra and I will be there if we have to walk there. :smallcool:

We would love to take up the offer of floor space at the Hippie(r?) Hut.

Trog - we're of course bummed that you're not going to make it this year, but ultimately glad that it's because of a job not because of a lack of one. Congrats on that!

reorith - The drive's really not that bad at all if you can get on the road at "off" times for the DC beltway.

Krade - There were a couple of games you mentioned in the Chicagoland meetup thread, what were they again? Are you bringing them?

ArchivesNinja - Are you out there? Are you coming this year? *makes note to give her a call here soon to find out*

*makes another note to query Ceika and Tantolian about the likelihood of their attendance this year*

Krade
2010-02-04, 03:02 AM
Krade - There were a couple of games you mentioned in the Chicagoland meetup thread, what were they again? Are you bringing them?
That would be "Say Anything" and "Shootin' Ladders." And yes, nothing could stop me from bringing them short of my not attending, which is fairly unlikely. I'm gonna put in my request off tomorrow. I think I'll have a good chance of getting the days off calling it almost five months in advance.

Incidently, Ookoodook (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/ShootinLadders.shtml) actually carries Shootin' Ladders.

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-04, 03:25 AM
That would be "Say Anything" and "Shootin' Ladders." And yes, nothing could stop me from bringing them short of my not attending, which is fairly unlikely. I'm gonna put in my request off tomorrow. I think I'll have a good chance of getting the days off calling it almost five months in advance.

Incidently, Ookoodook (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/ShootinLadders.shtml) actually carries Shootin' Ladders.OH! It's a Smirk & Dagger game! This instantly ups the chances for awesomeness. :smallcool:

Lord Blace
2010-02-04, 03:31 AM
You guys and gals will have to have extra fun for me. I'll (hopefully) be attending school. You know, finally getting to work on a post-high school education. :smalltongue:
I will try my hardest to be able to attend next year. -Crosses fingers.-

skywalker
2010-02-04, 03:53 AM
Nearby nature trails for hikes and photography?

I like these!

<<
>>

What do you mean these aren't meet-up activities?

My job allows for very little vacation time during the year so I need to save those for emergencies/illness and such. Most likely not coming. I hereby bequeath any Hippie Brew that I might have consumed to Zeb & Alarra. :smallamused:

Dude, what about the rest of us? That's kinda harsh. :smalltongue:

You went and had to be all public about it, now everyone's going to be watching...

Bummer. There didn't seem to be a problem with anyone in the party room of GenCon '07 that I was under age at the time... though, in retrospect, they might not have known. And it was only one drink.

The first rule of underage drinking, is you don't publicize your underage drinking. You shush too. :smallbiggrin:

Dirk Kris
2010-02-04, 07:10 AM
OK, so having checked back over the thread, I am getting more and more excited by all this.

Rabbs, you are coming. ESPECIALLY if Mango and Phil are bringing you. Woot.

Cristo - you still owe me a serenade, you little bard, you.

Rein - I owe you like a million hugs, so...yeah.

Also, I will talk to Amber Vael since she and Gryf live in the same town. Especially since I'll be there tomorrow. >.> Anywho, so we might be able to bring her with us if transport is an issue. So, from the people hosting, I need the following:

Possible hotels to investigate
Telephone numbers
Something I can bring to contribute

Gryf has a few versions of Munchkin that we might be able to bring along. Oh yes, now I have played it, and you are ALL going down!

Excited, excited, excited - now to get through the next 5 months of waiting. :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

smellie_hippie
2010-02-04, 07:57 AM
*snip*
So, from the people hosting, I need the following:

Possible hotels to investigate
Telephone numbers
Something I can bring to contribute

Gryf has a few versions of Munchkin that we might be able to bring along. Oh yes, now I have played it, and you are ALL going down!

Excited, excited, excited - now to get through the next 5 months of waiting. :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Hotels and accomodations will be added after a short bit of research (prices and phone numbers)
Telephone numbers can be PMed shortly.
Contributions? Bring food, bring money to help shop for food... bring plenty of smiles, laughs and general happiness!

Games, we have a plenty! If you want to bring your own, feel free. As to the waiting for the next five months... join the club!*

*we have members only jackets!

Gitman00
2010-02-04, 08:33 AM
Hotels and accomodations will be added after a short bit of research (prices and phone numbers)
Telephone numbers can be PMed shortly.
Contributions? Bring food, bring money to help shop for food... bring plenty of smiles, laughs and general happiness!

Games, we have a plenty! If you want to bring your own, feel free. As to the waiting for the next five months... join the club!*

*we have members only jackets!

Indeed. Just post hotel info, etc. to the thread or PM me; I'll update the first post.

...I need one of those jackets. :smallamused:

wadledo
2010-02-04, 09:42 AM
Oddly enough, I'm in the same boat as rabbit, except from the opposite direction.
So if anyone's coming from the Northeast and needs a ride, I'd be glad to lend a wheel or two.

Put me down as a maybe.

Penguinsushi
2010-02-04, 10:01 AM
@ Hippie: We have Members-Only jackets!? :smallamused:

@ Zeb & Alarra:

Of course, Alarra and I will be there if we have to walk there.

As expected. :smallwink: Can't wait to see you all & the munchkin again.

@ Trog:

Trog - we're of course bummed that you're not going to make it this year, but ultimately glad that it's because of a job not because of a lack of one. Congrats on that!

Yes. :smallfrown:

@ Thes: Did you ever get a copy of Agricola (I think we were talking about this is *last* year's meetup thread)? I haven't. Still want to play that game. I need to break down & buy that at some point.

~PS

Cristo Meyers
2010-02-04, 11:04 AM
Cristo - you still owe me a serenade, you little bard, you.

Need to find a job first. :smalltongue:

Believe me when I say I wouldn't miss this for anything, but if I'm not making a wage relatively soon...

Dirk Kris
2010-02-04, 11:04 AM
Sadly, I will miss Trog, but I'll live.
Also, I needs a jacket.
PM's will be appreciated.

And Cristo, with 5 months, that leaves plenty of time for me to organize a kidnapping.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-04, 11:43 AM
Oddly enough, I'm in the same boat as rabbit, except from the opposite direction.
So if anyone's coming from the Northeast and needs a ride, I'd be glad to lend a wheel or two.

Put me down as a maybe.

Meeting wadledo would be speeeecial.

wadledo
2010-02-04, 12:34 PM
Actually, I just realized Origins is starting a few scant days before this.
Anybody want to meet a few days earlier in Ohio?

Philistine
2010-02-04, 01:16 PM
I'm certain it could.

Done deal, then.

Trog
2010-02-04, 06:39 PM
Dude, what about the rest of us? That's kinda harsh. :smalltongue:
Heh. I actually don't drink that much (though Hippie Brew is very very goooooood <3 ) and, truth be told, am a bit of a light weight when it comes to beer (but not hard liquor for some odd reason :smallconfused:). So if you want to insist that Zeb and Alarra pass those three drinks around for everyone to, you know, take a sip out of... be my guest.

I can see the legacy now... "4th Annual Southeast Trogland Meetup: The year we all caught the TrogFlu." :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2010-02-04, 09:07 PM
I can see the legacy now... "4th Annual Southeast Trogland Meetup: The year we all caught the TrogFlu." :smalltongue:

This would only be true if the Hippie Brew didn't have herbal and natural innoculations against troglodytism.

I'm hoping the Honey Mead will be ready by then, but it will be in VERY short supply. I plan on batch of Whisky Beer, Bacon Beer*, a Coffee Porter, a Honey Brown, and hopefully an Amber and a IPA.

*yes you heard that right... bacon beer.

Reinboom
2010-02-04, 10:23 PM
After discussing for a very short bit with Phoe, I am interested - if the stars align in a very particular kitty like manner - in also showing up.

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-05, 12:37 AM
*we have members only jackets!We do? *goes to look through the closet*
Are you sure? *starts throwing coats around*
I guess I need to order another. :smallcool:

I'm hoping the Honey Mead will be ready by then, but it will be in VERY short supply. I plan on batch of Whisky Beer, Bacon Beer*, a Coffee Porter, a Honey Brown, and hopefully an Amber and a IPA.

*yes you heard that right... bacon beer.*droool*
I'm a huge mead fan. I made a batch one year that somehow was a little bubbly. Man that was good. And I'll be honest, though I'm not a bacon fan, that bacon beer sounds really good, actually.

After discussing for a very short bit with Phoe, I am interested - if the stars align in a very particular kitty like manner - in also showing up.Awesome! :smallcool:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-05, 12:40 AM
Done deal, then.

Shoot me a PM and we can figure out stuffs.
Like if I can share a hotel room with you (double beds, yeah!), or if I'mma hafta find another roommate =P

Reinholdt
2010-02-05, 12:54 AM
Rein - I owe you like a million hugs, so...yeah.
You can, uh, hold onto them for me. I don't need them. :smalleek:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-05, 12:55 AM
Rein and his silly aversion to physical touch.

Trog
2010-02-05, 12:56 AM
This would only be true if the Hippie Brew didn't have herbal and natural innoculations against troglodytism.
CURSES!! Foiled again! *heads off to find a find a mustache to twirl somewhere*

Krade
2010-02-05, 02:03 AM
CURSES!! Foiled again! *heads off to find a find a mustache to twirl somewhere*

Note that it doesn't necessarily have to be Trog's moustache.

skywalker
2010-02-05, 02:15 AM
Heh. I actually don't drink that much (though Hippie Brew is very very goooooood <3 ) and, truth be told, am a bit of a light weight when it comes to beer (but not hard liquor for some odd reason :smallconfused:). So if you want to insist that Zeb and Alarra pass those three drinks around for everyone to, you know, take a sip out of... be my guest.

Yes. Yes. I will require.

Actually, I plan on being the new guy who has to bring lots of beer, not actually getting a chance to sample anything rare. :smallcool:

Krade
2010-02-05, 02:26 AM
Possible:
Coidzor
Dirk Kris
Gryffon
Jack Squat
Krade
LightWraith
Mangosta
RabbitHoleLost
Reinholdt
reorith
skywalker
Thes_Hunter
wadledo
I wasn't aware that my response was so ambiguous as to suggest there was a real possibility that I won't be attending. Since the only way I won't be attending will be due to lack of job (not very likely) or some manner of tragedy (also, hopefully, unlikely).

That's basically a long way of saying, yes, I am definitely going to be coming, so you can move me to the "Confirmed" list.:smallbiggrin:

Gitman00
2010-02-05, 03:58 PM
That's basically a long way of saying, yes, I am definitely going to be coming, so you can move me to the "Confirmed" list. :smallbiggrin:

Glad to hear it! :smallsmile:

*Homer Simpson drool*

Mmmmm, beeeeeer.

Midnight Son
2010-02-05, 05:22 PM
I'm so jealous of you all who can go. Unfortunately, unless there's a drastic turn around in the finances department, we won't be able to attend. I really wish we could, though. Maybe next year, when we don't have a wedding to plan and produce.

Mountain_Faerie
2010-02-05, 05:32 PM
I'm so jealous of you all who can go. Unfortunately, unless there's a drastic turn around in the finances department, we won't be able to attend. I really wish we could, though. Maybe next year, when we don't have a wedding to plan and produce.

You could always skip the planning and producing and elope to Johnson City!

Supagoof
2010-02-05, 06:12 PM
Bacon Beer*
*yes you heard that right... bacon beer.I.....
Love.....
You......

So - should I plan on bringing the band? I'm certain those who were in Chicago will tell you that I my Rock Band setup is teh bomb, but doesn't make sense to bring if there's a set that someone has there already. I can just bring my xbox hard drive with the musics on it then.

As for weddings - Johnson City better have a Gazebo somewhere. It's not an official ITP wedding unless there's a Gazebo to attack.

Penguinsushi
2010-02-05, 06:51 PM
As for weddings - Johnson City better have a Gazebo somewhere. It's not an official ITP wedding unless there's a Gazebo to attack.

Well...there is a small gazebo on Milligan's campus that's popular for such things... ...there may be others...

~PS

Philistine
2010-02-05, 07:17 PM
... a Gazebo to attack.

Well...there is a small gazebo on Milligan's campus that's popular for such things... ...there may be others...

~PS
That gazebo must be nearing epic levels after surviving so many attacks. Imagine the XP if we're the ones to finally bring the beast down!

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-06, 12:52 AM
I'm so jealous of you all who can go. Unfortunately, unless there's a drastic turn around in the finances department, we won't be able to attend. I really wish we could, though. Maybe next year, when we don't have a wedding to plan and produce.*cough*
*reminds that Zeb and Alarra got married One Week after SET II*

:cool:

As for weddings - Johnson City better have a Gazebo somewhere. It's not an official ITP wedding unless there's a Gazebo to attack.Recall that the MS+PxP wedding isn't happening in JC. The Gazebo Attack will have to happen in Canuckistan. :smallbiggrin:

*makes note to find attackable gazebo near wedding location in Canuckistan*

Krade
2010-02-06, 06:26 PM
ARG! Why can't it come faster!?!? I want it to be NOW!!!

*ahem*

One of the main reasons for my... outburst, is that I want to play Kubb again and I still don't have my own set. I've bought all the wood and had the kubbs and batons cut and sanded and they all look very nice (oak ftw!:smallbiggrin:). One problem though, no king. My kubb set is without direction and is in a state of total anarchy. I'd rather not buy another 3' post just for the king (especially since the rest of the wood cost me ~$65), but at this point I don't think I have a choice. We tried gluing scraps from the rest on to a 3x3 but that didn't work out anywhere near as well as we were hoping...

The Valiant Turtle
2010-02-07, 09:33 AM
It can safely be assumed that I will be there. I still need to work out details with the rest of the family of course. A GenCon type SPA program could certainly be useful, although if we have both the little Pudding Troll and the Ninja Piglet a nursery might be more appropriate.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-08, 02:40 PM
My non-playgrounder friend, Leo, wants to come =3

Alarra
2010-02-08, 03:08 PM
And she would, of course, be welcome. :smallsmile:

smellie_hippie
2010-02-08, 03:37 PM
Hey Alarra... how many annoying Superbowl Chickens do we need to sacrifice to get the Giant to come for this event? :smallamused:

Penguinsushi
2010-02-08, 04:20 PM
Hey Alarra... how many annoying Superbowl Chickens do we need to sacrifice to get the Giant to come for this event? :smallamused:

/me Seconds the motion.

One of the main reasons for my... outburst, is that I want to play Kubb again and I still don't have my own set. I've bought all the wood and had the kubbs and batons cut and sanded and they all look very nice (oak ftw!:smallbiggrin:). One problem though, no king. My kubb set is without direction and is in a state of total anarchy. I'd rather not buy another 3' post just for the king (especially since the rest of the wood cost me ~$65), but at this point I don't think I have a choice. We tried gluing scraps from the rest on to a 3x3 but that didn't work out anywhere near as well as we were hoping...

Seeing as Kubb is (i think) the Official Sport(?) of GITP Meetups, there will, of course, be much kubb-ing.

You wouldn't want to bring another Kubb king into our territory anyway. There are already 3 within a fairly small radius, and while they may not be as powerful as your mighty oak, the Pine alliance has the advantage of superior numbers. :smallamused:

~PS

Trog
2010-02-08, 06:56 PM
There are already 3 within a fairly small radius, and while they may not be as powerful as your mighty oak, the Pine alliance has the advantage of superior numbers. :smallamused:

~PS
LONG LIVE THE PINE ALLIANCE®!!! :smallcool:

Krade
2010-02-08, 07:38 PM
You wouldn't want to bring another Kubb king into our territory anyway. There are already 3 within a fairly small radius, and while they may not be as powerful as your mighty oak, the Pine alliance has the advantage of superior numbers. :smallamused:

~PS

OHNOES:smalleek: Not the Pine Alliance!

Well, I didn't mean that I wanted to bring the set. I just want to have a set so I can play before the meet-up. I really just want to play Kubb more often than once or twice a year.

edit:

I can answer this one: All of them. Even if it won't get Rich to come. All of them, anyway.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2010-02-08, 08:52 PM
Hey Goof,

I have Rock Band drums and will probably have a guitar or two so you won't have to bring yours. I"m looking forward to seeing everyone!

Penguinsushi
2010-02-09, 12:18 AM
OHNOES:smalleek: Not the Pine Alliance!

LONG LIVE THE PINE ALLIANCE®!!! :smallcool:

That. Made. My. Day. :smallbiggrin:

~PS

Lord Blace
2010-02-09, 12:57 AM
Things may have changed! I might be able to attend. I have recently acquired employment and am getting a nice tax return.
I would just need to figure out how I would be getting there and sleeping arrangements. :smallbiggrin:

Krade
2010-02-09, 01:28 AM
Part of me, a small part, demands you not go so I can go on pretending I don't share a birthday with anyone (my aunt doesn't exist either).

Another, larger part says, "Wooooooo!!! New people to meet!"

And yet another part demands that I finish my Kubb set. I thought this was weird considering how out of context it is...

And then there's the slaad...

Lord Blace
2010-02-09, 02:27 PM
Mauve may be attending as well!

Edit: And I just found a deal that my income tax return can cover and then some. :smallbiggrin:
I would just need a ride from the airport to the hotel (to the festivities) and from the hotel to the airport.
Hmm. Speaking of, I should figure out which airport priceline wants to send me... Bristol, TN. I don't suppose anyone could provide me with transportation for some gas money?
I'll have to bring my ps3 and CoD: MW2. >.>

Supagoof
2010-02-09, 06:18 PM
OHNOES:smalleek: Not the Pine Alliance!My Cedar Kubb stands with the Oak Kubb in defiance of the Pine alliance.

It's a battle tested and solid as Pine, but more resistient to rot and smells nicer when burning. :smalleek:

Hey Goof,

I have Rock Band drums and will probably have a guitar or two so you won't have to bring yours. I"m looking forward to seeing everyone!
Sweet. I'll just bring my hard drive (150+ downloaded songs) then and RB Beatles, with the additional mics so we can harmonize.

Krade
2010-02-09, 11:12 PM
My Cedar Kubb stands with the Oak Kubb in defiance of the Pine alliance.

It's a battle tested and solid as Pine, but more resistient to rot and smells nicer when burning. :smalleek:

Well met, brother! We shall stand together and defeat our oppressive Pine Alliance Fascist overlords!:smallfurious:

Mauve Shirt
2010-02-10, 10:24 AM
I haven't spoken to my parents about it, but since I'm not going to Germany I'm pretty sure I'm free that weekend. If I could manage to get transportation (and parental permission, though that's of course secondary) I'd be able to go. I so very much need a job.

smellie_hippie
2010-02-10, 11:23 AM
Well met, brother! We shall stand together and defeat our oppressive Pine Alliance Fascist overlords!:smallfurious:

Bring it. :smallamused:

Mahogany was too rich and vain to think we were a contestant. Oak was too aged (not to mention worm eaten), Yew couldn't stand up straight.. and that crap from the beach just drifted by without knocking a single Kubb...

Penguinsushi
2010-02-10, 12:46 PM

Bring it. :smallamused:

Mahogany was too rich and vain to think we were a contestant. Oak was too aged (not to mention worm eaten), Yew couldn't stand up straight.. and that crap from the beach just drifted by without knocking a single Kubb...

Hahahahahahahahaha

Wait, when did we become overlords (fascist or otherwise)?

Sadly, I'm now trying to think of a way to have a multi-kubb battle...

Ultimately, i think this entire uprising can be traced to Goof's intention of not passing up a chance to use 'defiance' and 'alliance' in such close proximity to one another. :smallwink:

~PS

Alarra
2010-02-10, 01:03 PM
I haven't spoken to my parents about it, but since I'm not going to Germany I'm pretty sure I'm free that weekend. If I could manage to get transportation (and parental permission, though that's of course secondary) I'd be able to go. I so very much need a job.

Hey, not sure if we'll have a full car or not yet, but if we don't (probably won't), we can bring you down with us. :smallsmile:

Dirk Kris
2010-02-10, 01:56 PM
I love you guys...so hard. Can't wait to get there and try my hand at this...Kubb...you keep talking about.

skywalker
2010-02-10, 02:58 PM

I like Oak...

/is allergic to pine and cedar.

Krade
2010-02-10, 07:38 PM
Sadly, I'm now trying to think of a way to have a multi-kubb battle...

~PS

Is it bad that I was thinking this very same thing earlier today?

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-10, 07:51 PM
I love you guys...so hard. Can't wait to get there and try my hand at this...Kubb...you keep talking about.

You should ask De about when she, Vael, Cobra, Ego, Thallis, me, and a handful of others FAILED SO HARD.

Krade
2010-02-10, 07:56 PM
You should ask De about when she, Vael, Cobra, Ego, Thallis, me, and a handful of others FAILED SO HARD.

I think you were in the game I wasn't in, but that was still hilarious. IIRC, the game I was in while this was going on took FOREVER.

Penguinsushi
2010-02-10, 08:07 PM

I *still* think for your first game ever, it wasn't half bad (you weren't around for us locals' first game)... ...and it didn't help that a few of us on the other team had been playing for a while either - we probably should have divided that up better.

/still-trying-to-convince-rabbit-she-should-give-it-another-go

:smallsmile:

~PS

Dirk Kris
2010-02-10, 09:53 PM
De assures me that it was A) hilarious, B) failtastic, and C) that I should give it a try when I come down. *flexes* Prepare to get schooled, kiddies.

LightWraith
2010-02-10, 11:27 PM
I *still* think for your first game ever, it wasn't half bad (you weren't around for us locals' first game)... ...and it didn't help that a few of us on the other team had been playing for a while either - we probably should have divided that up better.

/still-trying-to-convince-rabbit-she-should-give-it-another-go

:smallsmile:

~PS

Hey, I was on your team... and I had never played! That was an amazing game though.

/also-convincing-rabbit-to-give-it-another-go?

Lord Blace
2010-02-11, 02:25 AM

Actually, I was busy talking to/comforting someone when you guys were playing kubb. No, I actually didn't get to fail at such a fine game until last October at Zeb&'Larra's. :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2010-02-11, 06:38 AM
Hey, if the Oak and Cedar set make it down, is that worth an extra "flag"? I think that would bring me up to about 6 or 7 of 'em... :smallamused:

mangosta71
2010-02-11, 03:38 PM
Put me down as attending. The Kubb Assassin can hardly miss an opportunity to hurt people, after all.

Done deal, then.

I thought we were planning to fly this year. I guess I can bring a big suitcase to hide Rabbit in, but it'll get crowded if Leo comes too...

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-11, 06:49 PM
I thought we were planning to fly this year. I guess I can bring a big suitcase to hide Rabbit in, but it'll get crowded if Leo comes too...

Huh, if you guys are flying, I s'pose Leo and I could drive the whole way ourselves.
:: shrugs::

Philistine
2010-02-11, 07:51 PM
Put me down as attending. The Kubb Assassin can hardly miss an opportunity to hurt people, after all.

As I recall, we discussed the idea briefly but did not reach a decision. But after pricing airfare into Knoxville and finding it to be on the high side (2x to 3x more expensive than flying from here to Chicago or Minneapolis/St. Paul, for example) a couple of months back, I decided against it.

Huh, if you guys are flying, I s'pose Leo and I could drive the whole way ourselves.
:: shrugs::
Nah, we gotcha. Just had a little miscommunication on this end is all.

Krade
2010-02-11, 09:00 PM
Hey, if the Oak and Cedar set make it down, is that worth an extra "flag"? I think that would bring me up to about 6 or 7 of 'em... :smallamused:

What is this "flag"? Methinks this is some kinda 'in' joke I should get but don't because I failed to pay attention at some point.

Penguinsushi
2010-02-11, 09:45 PM
What is this "flag"? Methinks this is some kinda 'in' joke I should get but don't because I failed to pay attention at some point.

Don't feel bad, I was wondering the same thing...

~PS

skywalker
2010-02-11, 10:46 PM
As I recall, we discussed the idea briefly but did not reach a decision. But after pricing airfare into Knoxville and finding it to be on the high side (2x to 3x more expensive than flying from here to Chicago or Minneapolis/St. Paul, for example) a couple of months back, I decided against it.

I have always considered Arkansas to be a sort of no-man's-land as far as travel from Knoxville goes. It's too far to drive, but too short to fly. Kinda annoying in that regard. I've been to every state that Tennessee borders except Arkansas, and a bunch of other farther states, but never yours.

mangosta71
2010-02-11, 10:48 PM
So a carpool. I can't promise that Rabbit and Leo's minds will still be intact when we arrive.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-11, 10:50 PM
So a carpool. I can't promise that Rabbit and Leo's minds will still be intact when we arrive.

Mango, I promise you, the things Leo and I speak of would make a grown, depraved man blush.
Or drive Renfield batty.
I'm worried for Phil, really.

Philistine
2010-02-12, 01:33 AM
Daaaaaaaww, how sweet - Rabbit is worried that she might break my brain! Isn't that just darling?

But...

Now I'm all intrigued. :smalltongue:

mangosta71
2010-02-12, 10:47 AM
Mango, I promise you, the things Leo and I speak of would make a grown, depraved man blush.

Well, you'll have plenty of time to test that theory. :smallwink:

smellie_hippie
2010-02-12, 12:41 PM

Flag, Badge, Tag, whatever... We're all part of the Order of the Kubb, but there were some speciaties such as "Midnight Kubb, New Years Kubb, Snow Kubb, GenCon Kubb and 3AM Stealthy Drunken Kubb :smalltongue:..."

randman22222
2010-02-12, 12:55 PM
I wonder what the chances of being able to hitchhike/couchsurf down there would be...

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-12, 01:01 PM
I wonder what the chances of being able to hitchhike/couchsurf down there would be...

There might be someone coming from your direction, Rand.
And, damn, that would be so cool to finally meet you. Face to Face.
Woah.

randman22222
2010-02-12, 01:05 PM
There might be someone coming from your direction, Rand.
And, damn, that would be so cool to finally meet you. Face to Face.
Woah.

Who? !

mangosta71
2010-02-12, 01:12 PM
We'd have to know where you'd be coming from to answer that question.

Penguinsushi
2010-02-12, 02:24 PM
Flag, Badge, Tag, whatever... We're all part of the Order of the Kubb, but there were some speciaties such as "Midnight Kubb, New Years Kubb, Snow Kubb, GenCon Kubb and 3AM Stealthy Drunken Kubb :smalltongue:..."

Oh that's what you were talking about.

I think some of those overlap... ...and what about Speed Kubb? :smallsmile:

~PS

KuReshtin
2010-02-12, 03:01 PM
If flights over to the US weren't so damned expensive, I'd hand you all your collective behinds in a game of Kubb. Just saying.

randman22222
2010-02-12, 03:02 PM
I'm in West Virginia, but I'm closer to Pittsburgh than any other place in WV.

mangosta71
2010-02-12, 03:03 PM
If flights over to the US weren't so damned expensive, I'd hand you all your collective behinds in a game of Kubb. Just saying.

Be hard to do that with shattered kneecaps. :smalltongue:

Ormagoden
2010-02-12, 03:15 PM
You know this seems kinda fun!
I am contemplating it... 9 hour ish drive for me. Might be worth it to represent the north east :P

KuReshtin
2010-02-12, 03:16 PM
Be hard to do that with shattered kneecaps. :smalltongue:

Who needs kneecaps anyways?

Krade
2010-02-12, 09:02 PM
Who needs kneecaps anyways?

He's serious just so you know. I saw it with my own eyes. Man is dangerous.

Philistine
2010-02-12, 10:09 PM
He's serious just so you know. I saw it with my own eyes. Man is dangerous.

Except for the bit about "kneecaps." Personally, I'd breathe a great sigh of relief if Mango lowered his aim enough to put kneecaps in danger.

Penguinsushi
2010-02-12, 10:37 PM
Except for the bit about "kneecaps." Personally, I'd breathe a great sigh of relief if Mango lowered his aim enough to put kneecaps in danger.

+1 for Philistine...

It should be noted that the Kubb Assassin title isn't unique to Mangosta by any means... ...I believe our resident Goddess of Pudding acquired it as well some years back...

~PS

Krade
2010-02-13, 01:59 AM
+1 for Philistine...

It should be noted that the Kubb Assassin title isn't unique to Mangosta by any means... ...I believe our resident Goddess of Pudding acquired it as well some years back...

~PS

Perhaps... but Mango caused Phil to fall over. An act that was an amazing feat of fail.

Alarra
2010-02-13, 11:03 AM

Yes, as did Pxp. And the term you're looking for is 'dangles'...makes note to get on making those again.

wadledo
2010-02-13, 12:47 PM
You know this seems kinda fun!
I am contemplating it... 9 hour ish drive for me. Might be worth it to represent the north east :P

Hey, I'm gonna be there too.

Total of 21 hours + drive for me, buster, so no complaining.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-13, 01:14 PM
What the?:smalleek:

This seems insane to me.

Then again, I come from a country where if you drive from anywhere to anywhere for 3 hours straight, in a (semi-) straight line, you'l always be out of the country.

Insane...

wadledo
2010-02-13, 01:29 PM
6.5 hours to Pennsylvania, 8 hours to Columbus (and Origins), 7 hours to Johnson City.
21.5 hours total driving.
Not as bad as it could be, seeing as how I'm going to be taking it in reasonable chunks.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-13, 01:46 PM
If I were driving straight from Tulsa, it would be 14 hours.
Well, it'll still be that much of a drive, but then we have to count in the fact that Leo and I have to get to Little Rock, and do the whole meet-and-get-comfortable-and-switch-cars with Phil and Mango, and who knows how long that'll be.
Maybe I should leave school earlier that Thursday...hm...

Krade
2010-02-13, 10:13 PM
If I were driving straight from Tulsa, it would be 14 hours.Me an' tyckspoon have a 7 hour drive, 9 if you count wrong turns and speeding tickets. Of course, I don't think he's given a definite "gonna go" yet this year... (edit: nevermind. After checking the first page I see that he did give the definite)

Well, it'll still be that much of a drive, but then we have to count in the fact that Leo and I have to get to Little Rock, and do the whole meet-and-get-comfortable-and-switch-cars with Phil and Mango, and who knows how long that'll be.
Maybe I should leave school earlier that Thursday...hm...I suppose I'll go ahead and vouch for Phil and Mango here and say that they are mostly harmless. Just stay off the other end of the Kubb field if you know what's good for you.

Gitman00
2010-02-16, 03:01 PM
Okay, finally got around to adding more hotels.

Dirk Kris
2010-02-16, 03:15 PM
Back to last year's GB avy - woot. Anyway, looks like things are forming up more solidly for a DK appearance. Also...

>.>
<.<

De might be coming. :smallbiggrin:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-16, 03:16 PM
De might be coming. :smallbiggrin:

WANT.
UMF.

And Leo and I are more certain we'll be coming as well.

Supagoof
2010-02-16, 03:32 PM
Contimplates making a KUBB set out of recycled plastic.....

+1 to Phil again for the Kneecap comment. That shot was one that makes every guy cringe in a 20 ft diameter. Never thought I'd need that kind of protection playing KUBB.

Gitman00
2010-02-16, 04:09 PM
WANT.
UMF.

And Leo and I are more certain we'll be coming as well.

Certain enough to add to the "Confirmed" list? :smallsmile:

Also, what's De's full handle?

EDIT:

Heh heh. I remember that last one from '08.

Dirk Kris
2010-02-16, 07:55 PM
Certain enough to add to the "Confirmed" list? :smallsmile:

Also, what's De's full handle?

She doesn't have one at the moment, but seeing as she has officially moved out (you GO girl!), she should soon.

Lord Blace
2010-02-17, 12:19 AM
She doesn't have one at the moment, but seeing as she has officially moved out (you GO girl!), she should soon.

Excellent!

And on another note, you can pretty much move me to confirmed. I'll just need to see if there's a decent cab service that will take me from the airport to the hotel, and the other way around. :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-17, 12:47 AM
Transportation to and from a local airport will not be a problem. There'll be plenty of vehicles. Someone will be available for pickup and dropoff.

mangosta71
2010-02-17, 01:03 AM
You could even coordinate with other people that are flying so that you land at approximately the same time.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-02-17, 02:35 AM
Ah ha! I just blogged about the meet-up today, and thankfully someone saw said post and sent me a PM.

Barring various emergencies that have a nasty habit of popping up in my life, Bor the Barbarian Monk will be attending these festivities. As of this moment, my plans are:

Travel via plane or Greyhound, depending on what rates I can find. (I'll wait until around the end of April to make any bookings.) If anyone is crazy enough to make the trek from my neck of the woods, (western KS), to JC, TN, send me a PM. I will also be getting a motel room for myself. (I need a "love den" to bring the ladies to. :smalltongue: ) In all seriousness, I've failed to break myself of my worst habit, and having a room to myself come the evenings would be wisest. This also works better should I need a little more rest than normal, or should I say "semi-normal," people. :smallwink: If I start to ache too much, someone can bring me back to my motel so I can relax in relative quiet.

That's my plan at this moment. Here's hoping I experience none of my usual disasters between now and then.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-17, 03:34 AM
Great to hear!

smellie_hippie
2010-02-17, 06:30 AM
Barring various emergencies that have a nasty habit of popping up in my life, Bor the Barbarian Monk will be attending these festivities.

:smalleek: We get Bor? *blink blink*

Awesome!!!!!!

Transportation to and from (once you are local) will not be a problem. Gitman has placed a very nice list of hotels on the first post, but feel free to ask a local if it is a nice place or something to avoid... in fact, I'll try and trim down his list when I have a spare moment...

Mountain_Faerie
2010-02-17, 07:07 AM
Dirk, tell De we're proud of her and we can't wait to see her!

Bor, we would love to see you! I hope everything works out.

Goof, is this going to be the first Diet Coke Kubb set??

Gitman00
2010-02-17, 08:21 AM
Barring various emergencies that have a nasty habit of popping up in my life, Bor the Barbarian Monk will be attending these festivities.

Woohoo! We finally get to meet the famous Bor!

Midnight Son
2010-02-17, 08:26 AM
Awww, man! Now I really wish I was going. Bor's Awesome!

KuReshtin
2010-02-17, 08:46 AM
Contimplates making a KUBB set out of recycled plastic.....

Goof, is this going to be the first Diet Coke Kubb set??

It could work. half-litre bottles instead of the throwing sticks, litre (or 1.5l) bottles as the Kubb's, and a 2 or 3 litre bottle as the king.
Filled with water on the day of use for ease of transport (at least weight) and needs the water as stabiliser to keep upright and to make it a bit of a challenge to knock it over.
i'd imagine it'd be necessary to carry spare bottles as the impact of repeatedly being thrown or hit could burst a bottle, rendering it useless.

Also, did I say how much I want to come along to this?

Supagoof
2010-02-17, 10:16 AM
Goof, is this going to be the first Diet Coke Kubb set??Heh - y'know when I suggested that I was actually referring to making it our the wood like substance that is made of recycled plastic composite (http://www.compositetimbers.com/). You are probably more familiar with it as it's used on park benches and decking. Though KuReshtin's idea of using water bottles has a ton of merit to it.

Perhaps one set made of Diet soda and other made of regular, with the King being a "Zero" product?

Or maybe we go Coke vs. Pepsi - with RC Cola as the King in the middle? :smallamused:

Penguinsushi
2010-02-17, 11:29 AM
Or maybe we go Coke vs. Pepsi - with RC Cola as the King in the middle? :smallamused:

Yes.

Question: what about the throwing sticks? I'm trying to think through what sort of mass would be required to interact with the liquid-filled 'kubbs' in a way similar to the way the wooden sets do...

~PS

smellie_hippie
2010-02-17, 12:53 PM
Question: what about the throwing sticks?

Use the really small bottles, but freeze them. That or use icicles...

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-17, 02:49 PM
Ah ha! I just blogged about the meet-up today, and thankfully someone saw said post and sent me a PM.

Barring various emergencies that have a nasty habit of popping up in my life, Bor the Barbarian Monk will be attending these festivities. As of this moment, my plans are:

Travel via plane or Greyhound, depending on what rates I can find. (I'll wait until around the end of April to make any bookings.) If anyone is crazy enough to make the trek from my neck of the woods, (western KS), to JC, TN, send me a PM. I will also be getting a motel room for myself. (I need a "love den" to bring the ladies to. :smalltongue: ) In all seriousness, I've failed to break myself of my worst habit, and having a room to myself come the evenings would be wisest. This also works better should I need a little more rest than normal, or should I say "semi-normal," people. :smallwink: If I start to ache too much, someone can bring me back to my motel so I can relax in relative quiet.

That's my plan at this moment. Here's hoping I experience none of my usual disasters between now and then.

OH....my...gods.
NO WAY.
NO FRICKEN WAY.

I R EXCITED.
MORE THAN ANY OF YOU CAN IMAGINE.
:: flails around::

Penguinsushi
2010-02-17, 03:25 PM
Use the really small bottles, but freeze them. That or use icicles...

Yeah, I don't think that's going to fly with the inevitable 4-hour-long-in-98-degree-sun kubb contingency...

~PS

Supagoof
2010-02-17, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I don't think that's going to fly with the inevitable 4-hour-long-in-98-degree-sun kubb contingency...

~PSThat, but also the weight ratio distribution would be off. Generally speaking, the wood sticks are lighter in weight a 20oz/1ltr thing of soda would be. Now that difference is made up by the fact that the KUBBs/KING in this case would also be heavier with the water weight. Though being cylindrical in nature they are more likely to fall over.

The trick in the whole thing is the water displacement. When a 2-liter is hit, the simple motion of water within the canister will cause it to fall over, so the object that hits it would have to be lighter as well to decrease the impact of this. But then you end up with a water displacement in the "sticks" as well.

Very tricky, and also I'd love to see what happens when one "tosses" the KUBB back after it gets knocked over.

Wacky Water KUBB - we should try it. :smallbiggrin:

Penguinsushi
2010-02-17, 03:39 PM
That, but also the weight ratio distribution would be off. Generally speaking, the wood sticks are lighter in weight a 20oz/1ltr thing of soda would be. Now that difference is made up by the fact that the KUBBs/KING in this case would also be heavier with the water weight. Though being cylindrical in nature they are more likely to fall over.

The trick in the whole thing is the water displacement. When a 2-liter is hit, the simple motion of water within the canister will cause it to fall over, so the object that hits it would have to be lighter as well to decrease the impact of this. But then you end up with a water displacement in the "sticks" as well.

Very tricky, and also I'd love to see what happens when one "tosses" the KUBB back after it gets knocked over.

Wacky Water KUBB - we should try it. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah - though I assumed the water-filled kubbs would be filled as much as possible to keep said sloshing to a minimum.

"Wacky Water Kubb". Haha.

Quite possibly, we're thinking about this a bit too scientifically. Maybe we should step back:

*Ahem* "Would it be fun to fill old soda bottles up with liquid and then try to knock them over in a Kubb-like fashion?"

Assuming the answer is "yes", that's probably all the logistics we need concern ourselves with...

:smallwink:

~PS

Philistine
2010-02-17, 06:06 PM
If the "Kubb" bottles are filled to somewhere below the halfway mark, wouldn't the increased weight and lowered center of gravity actually make them more stable? I'd also expect the lack of visible sloshing to decrease the full bottles' stability, as energy that otherwise would have been expended in splashing water up the sides is instead focused on shoving the whole bottle sideways. On the other hand, the greater mass of water in a full or near-full bottle will be imparted less velocity in the impact... Hmm. I feel a need to test this hypothesis.

Also - a heavy, soft object isn't a lot more fun to get hit with than a light, hard object moving at the same speed. So we don't want to jack up the weights involved too much.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-02-17, 06:28 PM
Ummm...I feel the need to tell people to calm down a bit. The medical disasters that tend to occupy my life are a current event. I can barely walk due to something going on in my knees, the left moreso than the right at the moment. My doc's office has been slow to answer my calls about recent MRI results...

Holy post interruptions, Batman! Hippie just called and we chatted it up for some time. I made clear to him what I'm trying to make clear here.

My knee is currently a mystery issue. I'm of the opinion that I have a torn something that'll require some surgical repair work. Whatever the case may be, I'll be making every effort to make this meet-up. However, just to be sure, I want you all to remember that "Life is what happens while you're making other plans."

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress. :smallsmile:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-18, 12:24 AM
Ummm...I feel the need to tell people to calm down a bit. The medical disasters that tend to occupy my life are a current event. I can barely walk due to something going on in my knees, the left moreso than the right at the moment. My doc's office has been slow to answer my calls about recent MRI results...

Holy post interruptions, Batman! Hippie just called and we chatted it up for some time. I made clear to him what I'm trying to make clear here.

My knee is currently a mystery issue. I'm of the opinion that I have a torn something that'll require some surgical repair work. Whatever the case may be, I'll be making every effort to make this meet-up. However, just to be sure, I want you all to remember that "Life is what happens while you're making other plans."

We now return to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress. :smallsmile:

Still, though.
The possibility makes me giddy.

skywalker
2010-02-18, 01:27 AM

We could finally make that trip to The Catch!!! :smalltongue:

Woohoo! We finally get to meet the famous Bor!

*already met Bor*

/is superior to you. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2010-02-18, 02:35 AM
*decides to set up a European-based 'water-Kubb' testing and evaluation facility*
Mission: To find the best combination of bottles and water levels in said bottles to produce the optimal water-bottle-Kubb set.

smellie_hippie
2010-02-18, 06:36 AM
We could finally make that trip to The Catch!!! :smalltongue:

Skywalker... because of this ^ you fail at this v. :smalltongue:

*already met Bor*
/is superior to you. :smalltongue:

The Catch! is a horrible low class gentleman's club in Knox-vegas...

Diva De
2010-02-18, 08:35 AM
*sniffs air*
Ah, that new-to-me thread smell. Guess who's back, darlings?
And yes, I will be in attendance.
Thanks to Dirky, Tooby, Rabbit, and Cristo for keeping me in the loop.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-18, 08:55 AM
Great to see you back!
Good on you for getting out of that situation.

Reinholdt
2010-02-18, 11:20 AM
*sniffs air*
Ah, that new-to-me thread smell. Guess who's back, darlings?
And yes, I will be in attendance.
Thanks to Dirky, Tooby, Rabbit, and Cristo for keeping me in the loop.

Oh hey. You're that person who was RPing with Mordokai in the first Fears game right when I joined and then disappeared to who knows where.

Welcome back.

Diva De
2010-02-18, 12:28 PM
Oh hey. You're that person who was RPing with Mordokai in the first Fears game right when I joined and then disappeared to who knows where.

Welcome back.
Guilty as charged.
Thanks.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-02-18, 04:49 PM
Skywalker, "my son"...I don't do gentleman's clubs...mostly because I'm no gentleman. :smalltongue:

Also, if someone could tell me what airport code I should be looking at, that'd be great. I mean, I looked at Greyhound, and the travel times look to be a full day! :smalleek: I may have been able to do that in the past, but now? A day on a bus? Better to fly for two hours that try to pull that off.

Also, Siege, the very person who brought me from KS, had a brief moment of considering coming along. Maybe we'll be traveling by car, eh? (Siege does so love car trips...NOT!)

(Siege, if you spy this post..."Ah! Horse!" :smallbiggrin: )

Oh...And Diva...welcome back. You had various folk around here worried.

Reinholdt
2010-02-18, 04:58 PM
Skywalker, "my son"...I don't do gentleman's clubs...mostly because I'm no gentleman. :smalltongue:

Also, if someone could tell me what airport code I should be looking at, that'd be great. I mean, I looked at Greyhound, and the travel times look to be a full day! :smalleek: I may have been able to do that in the past, but now? A day on a bus? Better to fly for two hours that try to pull that off.

Also, Siege, the very person who brought me from KS, had a brief moment of considering coming along. Maybe we'll be traveling by car, eh? (Siege does so love car trips...NOT!)

(Siege, if you spy this post..."Ah! Horse!" :smallbiggrin: )

Oh...And Diva...welcome back. You had various folk around here worried.

Having traveled by bus and train a couple of times each, let me tell you to avoid those modes of travel through any means necessary.

ANY MEANS.

:smallannoyed:

skywalker
2010-02-18, 05:27 PM

Oh, here I was thinking it was a stri... You know what, never mind.

Also, if someone could tell me what airport code I should be looking at, that'd be great.

Would be easier knowing which part of KS you'd be coming from. Once upon a time, did you fly direct from Phoenix to Knoxville? I'd like to know what airline you pulled that one off with.

But you know, JC has an airport... technically.

The Bushranger
2010-02-18, 05:39 PM
Put me down as a "definite maybe". Getting a job and finally getting my own place are likely necessary before actually going, seeing as my folks wouldn't approve of my going to meet "people from a nasty gaming board on the Internet".

Yes, I'm 29 and they're like this. Yes, I'm sad...

Diva De
2010-02-18, 07:01 PM
Put me down as a "definite maybe". Getting a job and finally getting my own place are likely necessary before actually going, seeing as my folks wouldn't approve of my going to meet "people from a nasty gaming board on the Internet".

Yes, I'm 29 and they're like this. Yes, I'm sad...
Indeed. You STILL aren't out of there? I guess Banjo was right - I didn't miss a thing.

The Bushranger
2010-02-18, 07:07 PM
Yus. The economy started going south as soon as I started looking for a job.

...I caused the recession, didn't I? :smalleek:

...anyway, there's a possibility of getting a job at McDonald's I'll know about in a week or two ("late Februrary", they said at the initial interview). Also might be able to finagle a "folks buy house in Tampa are and I "caretake"". kind of deal...

Anyway. Welcome back! *hugs* :smallsmile:

Recaiden
2010-02-18, 07:10 PM
But she's been gone longer than that, hasn't she?

You go to the meetup, you hear?

Krade
2010-02-18, 09:20 PM
Yus. The economy started going south as soon as I started looking for a job.

...I caused the recession, didn't I? :smalleek:

...anyway, there's a possibility of getting a job at McDonald's I'll know about in a week or two ("late Februrary", they said at the initial interview). Also might be able to finagle a "folks buy house in Tampa are and I "caretake"". kind of deal...

Anyway. Welcome back! *hugs* :smallsmile:

Umm... I recomend you check all your options before you go and work at McDonald's. My suggestion? The Fresh Market (www.thefreshmarket.com). The Tallahassee location has three positions available (https://freshmarket.taleo.net/careersection/tfm_basic/jobsearch.ftl) (edit: you'll have to actually perform the search yourself since the link doesn't save those results). I've worked at the one here for just over a year and it's probably the best *corporate* grocery store to work for. I also get money for referring people who get hired and stay for however long.

Anyways, you should check it out.

Deth Muncher
2010-02-18, 09:26 PM
OHAI! I'm a Virginia-ite. It is, however, a 6.5 hour drive to Johnson City, and I'm a broke college student, meaning I probably don't have money to stay at a hotel. Put me down as a maybe, as I'll definitely try to find a way to get there. Are former forum-ers allowed? I might be able to convince Solo to come, if'n he's not off in a foreign country as he is wont to be over the summers.

Alarra
2010-02-18, 10:42 PM
Of course Solo could come. It's not limited to forumers at all really, people bring non-forumites often.

The Bushranger
2010-02-18, 10:58 PM
Krade - Thanks, I'll check that out. :smallsmile:

My main reason for looking intently at Mickey D's is that they're the only place to actually so much as say 'boo' back at me out of all the applications I've put out various places in the last 2 years... =/

Anyway. Recaiden commands it, I must go! :smalleek::smalltongue:

Recaiden
2010-02-18, 11:07 PM
Not sure why I am. It's not like I'm going.

Good luck with the jobs.

The Bushranger
2010-02-18, 11:16 PM
Because you can? :smalltongue:

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Deth Muncher
2010-02-18, 11:53 PM
Hey, two questions:

1. What's the expected cost of the whole dealio, not including transportation? Like, what's a good amount to bring to pay for food, hotel, and shenanigans?

2. Why, exactly, is this Trogland? I must have missed the inside joke. Either that, or somebody is saying we live in caves and smell bad... *readies shotgun* and we don't take kindly to that 'round these parts.

skywalker
2010-02-19, 01:09 AM
2. Why, exactly, is this Trogland? I must have missed the inside joke. Either that, or somebody is saying we live in caves and smell bad... *readies shotgun* and we don't take kindly to that 'round these parts.

Once upon a time, this guy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=9453) had a land. It was named "Trogland." Before the bad times. Before "Trogistan."

And that's pretty much it?

mangosta71
2010-02-19, 02:37 AM
Hey, two questions:

1. What's the expected cost of the whole dealio, not including transportation? Like, what's a good amount to bring to pay for food, hotel, and shenanigans?

For food, last year they were asking everyone to chip in $5 for the Saturday park thing, and those of us that stayed for Sunday afternoon chipped in another $8 or so for pizza. Assuming we do Friday night at the Thunderdome, prices there are about equivalent to a fast food burger joint - $10 will cover you unless you're in the mood for booze (and I couldn't tell you what that costs). The place we did Saturday night last year was in the $15 price range for a dinner iirc. So call it $40-50 for food and you'll be good. The day at the park didn't cost us anything, nor did the Sunday afternoon at the Igloo, and the only potential expense on Friday was renting controllers for the various game systems, but you'll be able to split those with the rest of the group. Won't be much.

As for the hotel, it depends on where you stay. You can usually get a better rate if you sign up a month or so in advance. I think the one I stayed last year was about $70 a night. A total of roughly $250, plus gas. More than worth it.

Krade
2010-02-19, 03:57 AM
Krade - Thanks, I'll check that out. :smallsmile:

My main reason for looking intently at Mickey D's is that they're the only place to actually so much as say 'boo' back at me out of all the applications I've put out various places in the last 2 years... =/

Anyway. Recaiden commands it, I must go! :smalleek::smalltongue:

Are you taking the (roll) initiative and calling these places yourself? After you apply, wait 1 week for them to call you, then start calling them and asking for the manager. Let them know how interested you are in the job. If they give you a run around, follow it. I was calling every few days for two weeks after my interview to get this job.

If you do apply, there's a space to put who (if anyone) referred you. I can PM you my name and store number if you like.

Edit: Also, my two experiences where they called me first didn't lead to interviews. So don't think that's all it takes or is even remotely necesary.

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-19, 05:56 AM
For food, last year they were asking everyone to chip in $5 for the Saturday park thing, and those of us that stayed for Sunday afternoon chipped in another $8 or so for pizza. Assuming we do Friday night at the Thunderdome, prices there are about equivalent to a fast food burger joint - $10 will cover you unless you're in the mood for booze (and I couldn't tell you what that costs). The place we did Saturday night last year was in the $15 price range for a dinner iirc. So call it $40-50 for food and you'll be good. The day at the park didn't cost us anything, nor did the Sunday afternoon at the Igloo, and the only potential expense on Friday was renting controllers for the various game systems, but you'll be able to split those with the rest of the group. Won't be much.

As for the hotel, it depends on where you stay. You can usually get a better rate if you sign up a month or so in advance. I think the one I stayed last year was about $70 a night. A total of roughly $250, plus gas. More than worth it.Sadly, the Thunderdome is no longer. The "locals" are still working on a plan for Friday night. One of those plans might involve dancing in Hippie's new garage, but I probably shouldn't say more than that just yet. :smallcool:

As for hotel costs, see if any of your fellow travelers are willing to split a room? That's what makes GenCon affordable for many people. :smallsmile:

smellie_hippie
2010-02-19, 10:23 AM
Prices and reservations will be of your own accord. I will continue to edit this post as more information comes in... but bear in mind that this is all "personal opinions". Nearby restaurants are not an issue, since we will mostly be eating together. I will post my opinions in bold in regards to "niceness of neighborhood", ease of access and nearness to residences and events.

I live here, so cleanliness of hotel rooms and such are unknown to me...

Where: Johnson City, TN

- Local hotels:

-- Best Western (http://www.bestwesterntennessee.com/)
Decent hotel, easy access right off I26, very close to all planned events.
-- Carnegie Hotel (http://www.carnegiehotel.com/)
very nice hotel but also VERY EXPENSIVE, spa facilities available, very easy access right across the street from ETSU (central location in Johnson City
-- Comfort Inn (http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel/tn444)
This hotel was close access to previous Hippie Hut, and was frequented by previous meet-up attendees. Easy access and very decent proximity to local planned events
-- Comfort Suites (http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-johnson_city-tennessee-TN264?promo=gglocal)
I believe this hotel is a little less accessible. Close to I26, but might need some additional directions... -- Courtyard (Mariott) (http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/trijc-courtyard-johnson-city/)
Brand new hotel, so likely to be costly. Fairly easy access and fair proximity to events.
-- Days Inn (http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=04490&as_srp=SP2&cid=carat_search-Days_Inn)
Stay Away!! :yuk:
-- Doubletree Hotel (http://www.doubletreejohnsoncity.com/)
Decent hotel, easy access with good proximity to events. A little more costly because they have indoor/outdoor pool facilities.
-- Econo Lodge (http://www.econolodge.com/)

-- Hampton Inn (http://www.hamptoninnjohnsoncity.com/)

-- Holiday Inn (http://www.holidayinn.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/jncws?&url=true&stopredirect=true&cm_mmc=mdpr-_-googlemaps-_-hi-_-jncws&dp=true)

-- Holiday Inn Express (http://www.hiexpress.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/jncjc?&stopredirect=true&dp=true)

-- Jameson Inn (http://www.jamesoninns.com/)

-- Quality Inn & Suites (http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-johnson_city-tennessee-TN544?promo=gglocal)

-- Ramada Limited (http://www.ramada.com/Ramada/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=12383&cid=carat_search-Ramada)

-- Red Roof Inn (http://www.redroof.com/)

-- Sleep Inn & Suites (http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-johnson_city-tennessee-TN259?promo=gglocal)

-- Super 8 Motel (http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=03207)

-- Value Place (http://www.valueplace.com/)

mangosta71
2010-02-19, 10:52 AM
I stayed in a Courtyard Marriot a couple months ago when I was in California. Really nice place, but for government employees it was about $120 a night, and closer to $150 for non-government. Swanky place, but I'm glad I wasn't paying for it. :smallcool:

Deth Muncher
2010-02-19, 10:58 AM
Hm. Well, I can see who I could wrangle into going to split the costs with. As I mentioned earlier, Solo may or may not be able to come with, globe-trotting fiend that he is. Doc Roc lives about half a city away from me, and I think Burley moved up to these parts about a month ago...

The Bushranger
2010-02-19, 11:13 AM
Are you taking the (roll) initiative and calling these places yourself? After you apply, wait 1 week for them to call you, then start calling them and asking for the manager. Let them know how interested you are in the job. If they give you a run around, follow it. I was calling every few days for two weeks after my interview to get this job.

If you do apply, there's a space to put who (if anyone) referred you. I can PM you my name and store number if you like.

Edit: Also, my two experiences where they called me first didn't lead to interviews. So don't think that's all it takes or is even remotely necesary.

I probably should do that...it's just hard to take that initiative after the way my life has been so far. But I guess that's a point, and I'll start doing that...

And if you could, that would be great - TFM is a place I've considered before, but at the time I looked they weren't hiring here.

---

Also...dancing?
*looks at two left feet*
:smalleek::smallredface:

Dirk Kris
2010-02-19, 12:18 PM
OK, so good/bad news.

The bad news - not coming. Long story short, I'll be out of the country. Exciting opportunity to see the Amazon has arisen. So...next year perhaps.

Good news! De and Gryffon are DEFINITELY coming. Seeing as Gryf and I were talking hotel rooms before all this happened, I have (the gentleman I am) offered her my spot. So...yeah. Sorry, but apparently I have jungle fever. Only cure is to indulge it. Gryf just says not to bring it back with me - or any parasites.

The Bushranger
2010-02-19, 12:25 PM
You just want a chance to go rampaging through the Amazon in a loincloth. Admit it! :smalltongue:

*hugs* Maybe next year, eh?

Reinholdt
2010-02-19, 12:27 PM
You just want a chance to go rampaging through the Amazon in a loincloth. Admit it! :smalltongue:

*hugs* Maybe next year, eh?
And get kidnapped by Amazon warriors?

Lord Blace
2010-02-19, 12:34 PM
Sadly, the Thunderdome is no longer. The "locals" are still working on a plan for Friday night. One of those plans might involve dancing in Hippie's new garage, but I probably shouldn't say more than that just yet. :smallcool:

As for hotel costs, see if any of your fellow travelers are willing to split a room? That's what makes GenCon affordable for many people. :smallsmile:

:smalleek: But... but...
I do not sing. I do not dance.
I don't drink or smoke.
All I do from dawn till dusk
Is be a boring bloke!!!

<.<
>.>
:smalltongue:

Krade
2010-02-19, 01:11 PM
And get kidnapped by Amazon warriors?

I'm not sure if that would be good or bad...

Deth Muncher
2010-02-19, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure if that would be good or bad...

Death by snu-snu?

skywalker
2010-02-19, 02:02 PM

One of the meetup activities is rampaging thru the Amazon in a loincloth?! Hells yes, I'll be there!

mangosta71
2010-02-19, 03:58 PM
One of the meetup activities is rampaging thru the Amazon in a loincloth?! Hells yes, I'll be there!

Please, Indy doesn't need encouragement... *shudder*

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-02-19, 04:10 PM
Well, folks...The word is in, and it's not that great.

Bor, your favorite barbarian monk, has a torn medial meniscus, along with some inflamed tissues all around said tear. I see a specialist on March 4, in which I'm hoping to cut to the chase and simply schedule surgery. (The severity of pain and the fact that bones pop is a sure sign that physical therapy is out of the question.) From there, it all depends on how bad the tear is that will dictat what kind of surgery I'll require.

The two less invasive surgeries involve either repairing the tear with some sutures or removing the torn bit. The most invasive, however, would be the removal of the medial meniscus. If that last happens, I'll probably be several months recovering and unable to make the meet-up. So start praying to whatever powers you pray to that this will be swift and relatively simple. Otherwise, I may have to wait until next year. :smallfrown:

Deth Muncher
2010-02-19, 04:14 PM
Hm. So, as someone who's not gone to one of these Trogland meetups, how does everyone know who everyone is? Nametags/T-shirts with who you are on them?

mangosta71
2010-02-19, 04:18 PM
@Bor: Since I always get the opposite of what I pray for, I hope you don't mind if I let people who are more skilled at getting their way handle this one.

@DM: We introduce ourselves. :smallconfused:

Deth Muncher
2010-02-19, 04:23 PM
@DM: We introduce ourselves. :smallconfused:

-facepalm- Yeah, I forgot. People do that thing where they shake hands and proceed to do that thing where they exchange names. Can you tell I've been cooped up in my dorm room too long?

Alarra
2010-02-19, 04:31 PM
Some people like to wear shirts with their avatars and board names on them too.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-19, 05:26 PM
Or cosplay as your avatar, but that's just a random idea for a vague future which may possibly be used in a dimension.

Bor: I apologize, life kinda caught up with me, threw college at me and such. I wish you a chronic case of get well soon, good luck and be well's!

Deth Muncher
2010-02-19, 06:44 PM
Or cosplay as your avatar, but that's just a random idea for a vague future which may possibly be used in a dimension.

As epic as it would be to build a Chaos Marine suit, I have nowhere near that amount of skill, free time or money. I might just print out a picture. :P

arguskos
2010-02-19, 08:15 PM
Johnson City isn't but a day or so away for me (Columbus, OH). I might try and make it, if that's acceptable. Deth just made mention of it to me. Toss me under the "maybe" category.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-19, 08:18 PM
I know I give a hollow maybe every year, and this one is no different. I don't know where I'll be come June, but there is a very real chance I'll be moving to Nashville in a couple months. Nashville is actually farther than my current home in Georgia but hopefully I'll be well into a new job with more flexible hours.

So... yeah, a definite maybe.

Gitman00
2010-02-19, 09:50 PM
Well, folks...The word is in, and it's not that great.

Bor, your favorite barbarian monk, has a torn medial meniscus, along with some inflamed tissues all around said tear. I see a specialist on March 4, in which I'm hoping to cut to the chase and simply schedule surgery. (The severity of pain and the fact that bones pop is a sure sign that physical therapy is out of the question.) From there, it all depends on how bad the tear is that will dictat what kind of surgery I'll require.

The two less invasive surgeries involve either repairing the tear with some sutures or removing the torn bit. The most invasive, however, would be the removal of the medial meniscus. If that last happens, I'll probably be several months recovering and unable to make the meet-up. So start praying to whatever powers you pray to that this will be swift and relatively simple. Otherwise, I may have to wait until next year. :smallfrown:

Prayers will definitely be forthcoming.

Krade
2010-02-19, 10:25 PM
Johnson City isn't but a day or so away for me (Columbus, OH). I might try and make it, if that's acceptable. Deth just made mention of it to me. Toss me under the "maybe" category.

According to Google, you are 11 minutes closer to JC than me. You can do it, man!

I know I give a hollow maybe every year, and this one is no different. I don't know where I'll be come June, but there is a very real chance I'll be moving to Nashville in a couple months. Nashville is actually farther than my current home in Georgia but hopefully I'll be well into a new job with more flexible hours.

So... yeah, a definite maybe.

If you're moving to Nashville then you can carpool with skywalker. No more excuses!:smalltongue:

Trog
2010-02-20, 01:08 AM
Some thread here somewhere got on the subject of renaming the U.S. and in jest I threw out, amongst other things, "Trogland." Others have run with it since. * is generally amazed at how these things seem to always gain a life of their own somehow ó.O *

Before the bad times. Before "Trogistan.
*Suddenly TroGB Agents raid the thread and take skywalker off to work in the alcohol mines, never to be seen sober again.*

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-20, 01:24 AM
:smalleek: But... but...
I do not sing. I do not dance.
I don't drink or smoke.
All I do from dawn till dusk
Is be a boring bloke!!!

<.<
>.>
:smalltongue:Have no fear! The dancing (if any) will not be required to be "good" in any way shape or form and would merely be a series of simple movements somewhat in rhythm with the song being played at the time. It would also not be required, just strongly encouraged. :smallcool:

If I can do it, you can do it.

Indurain
2010-02-20, 01:33 AM

Did you miss the post about not giving me any encouragment. Oh wait...I've already done the cosplay thing. That loincloth idea though....

I'm a pretty sure for this here shindig. Just have to confirm vacay time.

tyckspoon
2010-02-20, 01:34 AM

If it was needed you could carpool with me 'n Krade. East then south going through Ohio shouldn't be that much different from south than east going through Kentucky. And it'd minimize the time I'd have to spend on the lunatic roads of Tennessee, which can only be a positive.

Edit: Yeah, the minimum-potential-for-getting-lost route time estimates are pretty much the same. The direct route that doesn't involve Ohio is a couple hours faster, but that's about as much time as I lost last year on aforementioned lunatic roads anyway.

wadledo
2010-02-20, 01:56 AM
Or, I could kidnap him after I stop by Origins.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-20, 02:15 AM
Dancing?
Dancing is good.
Rabbit pretends to dance pretty well.

Also, boo for Bor's medical problems :smallfrown:
I am sadface.

skywalker
2010-02-20, 02:36 AM
If you're moving to Nashville then you can carpool with skywalker. No more excuses!:smalltongue:

Kinda...

*Suddenly TroGB Agents raid the thread and take skywalker off to work in the alcohol mines, never to be seen sober again.*

Where's the bad part, here?

And it'd minimize the time I'd have to spend on the lunatic roads of Tennessee, which can only be a positive.

*hugs his lunatic roads tight*

Have you ever been to Georgia?

Krade
2010-02-20, 03:04 AM
If it was needed you could carpool with me 'n Krade. East then south going through Ohio shouldn't be that much different from south than east going through Kentucky. And it'd minimize the time I'd have to spend on the lunatic roads of Tennessee, which can only be a positive.

Edit: Yeah, the minimum-potential-for-getting-lost route time estimates are pretty much the same. The direct route that doesn't involve Ohio is a couple hours faster, but that's about as much time as I lost last year on aforementioned lunatic roads anyway.

I checked that out on Google, too. Going to Columbus will add something around three hours to the trip. But hey, more people is better than less people. We burned two hours last year with that whole fiasco. +1 hour to last doesn't sound too bad...

arguskos
2010-02-20, 04:16 PM

That'd actually be pretty good. The trick is me having MONEY for this trip. I can do the drive, provided I have cashy money at the time (finding work would be helpful in this regard :smallsigh:). This is scheduled for what, June? I'll work stuff out and see how things fare closer to the date itself and let you and Krade know.

Thanks for the offer though, I really appreciate it. :smallredface:

Trog
2010-02-20, 05:52 PM
Where's the bad part, here?
The bad part? ... YOU'RE DRINKING ALL OF TROG'S ALCOHOL!! :smallmad:

Krade
2010-02-21, 12:43 AM

But surely you don't need all of it, right? ...right?:smallfrown:

ForzaFiori
2010-02-21, 12:48 AM
Oh man, this meet up may actually be possible for me. I'm finally 18, school will be over, I have my own car, and I should have some cash then. Of course, I'll still need my mom's permission, but that should be easy to get. I'll see if it can be my "post-graduation" trip.

@Skywalker: I think its the weird roads is just a southern thing. SC's are pretty weird too. It may be because something like 98% of our roads are rural, so they snake all over the place. Florida is the really horrible one though.

EDIT: Just talked to mi madre. She'd be cool with it, so now its pretty much just me getting the money. Oh, and she said she'd like it if I could stay at someone's house rather than a hotel, so if someone would be willing to let me crash at their home it would be AMAZING.

The Bushranger
2010-02-21, 01:14 AM
@Skywalker: I think its the weird roads is just a southern thing. SC's are pretty weird too. It may be because something like 98% of our roads are rural, so they snake all over the place. Florida is the really horrible one though.

Oi, I resemble that remark! :smalltongue:

Trog
2010-02-21, 01:20 AM
But surely you don't need all of it, right? ...right?:smallfrown:

Trog doesn't need any of this. Trog doesn't need this stuff. Trog doesn't need anything except this.

*picks up an ashtray*

And that's it and that's the only thing Trog needs, is this. Trog doesn't need this or this. Just this ashtray.

And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all Trog needs. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all Trog needs.

And these matches.

The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball.

And this lamp.

The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all Trog needs. And that's all Trog needs too. Trog doesn't need one other thing, not one - Trog needs this.

The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all Trog needs. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.

*stumbles outside*

The Bushranger
2010-02-21, 01:24 AM
Nobody expects the Troggish Inquisiton!

this Inquistion brought to you by Coffin Nail brand cigarettes.

Trog
2010-02-21, 01:35 AM
*Bursts back in!* NOBODY expects the Troggish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise... surprise and beer... beer and surprise... Our two weapons are beer and surprise... and mental deficiency... Our *three* weapons are beer, surprise, and mental deficiency... and an almost fanatical avoidance of soap... Our *four*... no... *Amongst* our weapons... Amongst our weaponry... are such elements as beer, surprise... Trog'll come in again. *stumbles outside once more*

Reinholdt
2010-02-21, 01:36 AM
*Bursts back in!* NOBODY expects the Troggish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise... surprise and beer... beer and surprise... Our two weapons are beer and surprise... and mental deficiency... Our *three* weapons are beer, surprise, and mental deficiency... and an almost fanatical avoidance of soap... Our *four*... no... *Amongst* our weapons... Amongst our weaponry... are such elements as beer, surprise... Trog'll come in again. *stumbles outside once more*

*takes Trog's beer*
I think you've had enough for tonight Monty.

Krade
2010-02-21, 01:41 AM
*takes Trog's beer*
I think you've had enough for tonight Monty.

This can't end well...

skywalker
2010-02-21, 01:46 AM

Ah, yes. That.

How can that possibly? Florida is so flat, the Disney mountains are some of the highest "mountains" in the state. I think it's the beaches and canals that really mess things up?

Trog doesn't need any of this. Trog doesn't need this stuff. Trog doesn't need anything except this.

*picks up an ashtray*

And that's it and that's the only thing Trog needs, is this. Trog doesn't need this or this. Just this ashtray.

And this paddle game, the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all Trog needs. And this remote control. The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all Trog needs.

And these matches.

The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball.

And this lamp.

The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all Trog needs. And that's all Trog needs too. Trog doesn't need one other thing, not one - Trog needs this.

The paddle game, and the chair, and the remote control, and the matches, for sure. And this. And that's all Trog needs. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair.

*stumbles outside*

LOVE that movie.

ForzaFiori
2010-02-21, 06:39 AM
Ah, yes. That.
How can that possibly? Florida is so flat, the Disney mountains are some of the highest "mountains" in the state. I think it's the beaches and canals that really mess things up?

I don't know, but they manage it. Roads go places you didn't think they could, twist and turn for miles and you wind up just a little bit from where you started, etc. Then you add in the Florida drivers, and it REALLY gets fun. The only place it doesn't do that is in the middle of cities, and then, you have a bunch of the drivers.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-21, 01:18 PM

I just know that driving in Florida a few years back was the most frustrating thing I've ever done.
Its like they don't know what a speed limit is....

Diva De
2010-02-21, 05:58 PM
OK, so Gryf and Dirky and I played the MOST fun game last night. Anyone played Cash 'n' Guns? It's basically a board game version of the film Reservoir Dogs. ANYway...we played...

Cash 'n' Guns LIVE!

It's TONS of fun - srsly. Anyway, we are buying a copy and bringing it with us. Who's in? Anyone else ever played? We played with 12 people and a moderator, and it says it works best with 15-20. So if someone has another set or something...or if not everyone wants to play. We'll figure it out.

Also, ROOM CONFIRMED at Comfort Inn.

Also, mf11 - where is P-Town? We'll be coming from Myrtle Beach.

ForzaFiori
2010-02-21, 06:07 PM
Also, mf11 - where is P-Town? We'll be coming from Myrtle Beach.

Pendleton is in the Upstate, kinda sandwitched between Clemson, Greenville, and Anderson.

Penguinsushi
2010-02-21, 10:25 PM

*picks up an ashtray*

And that's it and that's the only thing Trog needs...

[continued Jerk reference]

Niiiiiiiiiice. :smallamused:

~PS

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2010-02-21, 10:34 PM
Cash 'n' Guns LIVE!

I've heard of this game and would love to play it.

Reinholdt
2010-02-21, 10:39 PM
I have never heard of it. Then again, I've never heard of Reservoir Dogs either.
I'll probably end up playing anyways.

*slips Llama the Trog's beer*
As you requested. I expect payment in catnip.

tyckspoon
2010-02-21, 10:40 PM
OK, so Gryf and Dirky and I played the MOST fun game last night. Anyone played Cash 'n' Guns? It's basically a board game version of the film Reservoir Dogs. ANYway...we played...

Cash 'n' Guns LIVE!

Played it at InConJunction here in Indy, assuming it's the same game I'm thinking of. Good fun.. playing it live would be hilarious.

The Bushranger
2010-02-21, 10:42 PM
I've never heard of it, but if it's Mafia-esque, why not? Plus, if De and Dirky like it, it's got to be good. :smallbiggrin:

CollinPhillips
2010-02-21, 10:56 PM
I just know that driving in Florida a few years back was the most frustrating thing I've ever done.
Its like they don't know what a speed limit is....

For some of us, speeding is a way of life.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-21, 10:58 PM
For some of us, speeding is a way of life.

I meant that they didn;t know what a speed limit was in that they were too slow.

The Bushranger
2010-02-21, 11:06 PM
I meant that they didn;t know what a speed limit was in that they were too slow.

Oh, so you encountered Krome Avenue Syndrome, too? (As we named it based on the most notorious place we encountered it.) Based on my analysis of things when we lived in Daytona, I believe that a lot of people down in central and south Florida at least, think that you're not allowed to go over 35mph on any two-lane road, regardless of its actual posted limit. Nova Road was horrible for this.

...up here around Tallahassee, though? If you don't go 5-10 over the limit you're likely to get run over. One time I gave up trying to pace somebody who passed me when I hit 70 and they were still pullign away...IIRC the posted limit there was 45... >.<

Philistine
2010-02-21, 11:21 PM

Whew! Good thing. :smallbiggrin:

Diva De
2010-02-22, 10:41 AM
Reinholdt - it's a Tarantino film. Very good. You should watch it. It's about money, guns, and how the best-laid plans go awry of someone on your team is batsh*t crazy. You'll like it. :smallbiggrin:

Trog - great reference. I've missed you.

As far as Cash 'n' Guns LIVE! goes...let's put it this way. If you are shot and are holding a grenade, you take one leap in any direction, spread your arms out and twirl around, and anyone you touch is blown up with you. Oh yes - mucho fun. Especially since strategy-wise, it's best to give those things to the tallest, longest-armed member of your group. So generally it's a big hulking man-thing doing a pirouette. Photos will be required.

Gitman00
2010-02-23, 09:55 AM
Okay, I've updated Hippie's hotel recommendations in the first post.

Krade
2010-02-23, 10:07 PM
I saw yesterday that rtg has been absent from the forums for like, 5 months. I wonder why he left us?

In case anyone forgot, rtg was at the meet-up last year. He was a bad-ass Rock Band drummer and we played Carcassonne.

skywalker
2010-02-25, 12:19 AM
I saw yesterday that rtg has been absent from the forums for like, 5 months. I wonder why he left us?

Grad school?

That can make forum-going quite tough, or so I hear...

Supagoof
2010-02-25, 11:16 AM
Here's to hoping he periodically checks in and catches the thread. RTG is indeed a smooth man on the RB percussion.

Hey, on the hotel list - Quality Inn and Suites was priced reasonably similar to Comfort Inn and only a few blocks away location wise (to the comfort inn). It wasn't a bad gig when Tyckspoon and I stayed there last year. We didn't even have to fend off any Jehovah's Witnesses. :smallbiggrin: It gets a thumbs up for a decent place to stay. Plus it's very close to Target jic you forgot anything.

Mauve Shirt
2010-03-01, 03:47 PM
I have parental permission to attend this! So, if I can get a ride, I'm coming!

ForzaFiori
2010-03-01, 08:32 PM
Unfortunately, I won't be coming to the meetup. I have a church trip I had already commited to going that got scheduled on the same days.

Maybe next year, if I can get the money as a poor college student.

Mountain_Faerie
2010-03-01, 08:48 PM
Sorry you won't be here, mf11.

It will be nice to see you again, though, Mauve Shirt!