PDA

View Full Version : New low-level healing-type spells [3.5]

Melayl
2010-02-02, 09:29 PM
I came up with these one night (about a year or so ago). They would work well in a low-magic setting, or just as an additional option for low-level casters.

Improve Wounds
Conjuration (Healing), Necromancy
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Drd 1, Healing 1, Pal 1, Rgr 2 , Wiz/Sor 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
When laying your hand upon a living creature, you channel energy that converts lethal damage that a creature currently suffers from to non-lethal damage. You convert 5 HP +5 HP/level, to a maximum of 40 HP at 7th level (assuming the creature has that much lethal damage). You also remove weariness from the subject. Unconscious becomes Exhausted, Exhausted becomes Fatigued, Fatigued becomes Normal.

Exacerbate Wounds
Necromancy
Level: Clr 1, Destruction 1, Wiz/Sor 1
Saving Throw: Will half
Spell Resistance: Yes
When laying your hand upon a creature, you channel energy that converts non-lethal damage that a creature currently suffers from to lethal damage. You convert 5 HP +5 HP/level, to a maximum of 40 HP at 7th level (assuming the creature has that much non-lethal damage). You also inflict weariness on the subject. Normal becomes Fatigued, Fatigued becomes Exhausted, Exhausted becomes Unconscious.

Reduce Damage
Protection, Necromancy
Level: Clr 3, Drd 3, Pal 2, Wiz/Sor 3
Duration: 10 min/level
Saving Throw: Will half (harmless)
You buffer the target from harm. Every round, 5 points of lethal damage taken by the target is instead taken as non-lethal damage. This increases by +1 HP per 2 caster levels.

For example: Bob is the recipient of Reduce Damage. He is hit by a Frost Giant for 30 points of damage. He sustains 25 points of lethal damage and 5 points of non-lethal damage.

Speed Recovery
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Drd 1, Healing 1, Pal 1, Rgr 2 , Wiz/Sor 1
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
You infuse your target with healing energy, doubling their rate of natural healing (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/injuryAndDeath.html) for 24 hours. This spell does not affect Fast Healing, Regeneration, Magical Healing, or other special abilities.

Cheat Death
Level: Clr 1, Drd 1, Healing 1, Pal 2, Rgr 2 , Wiz/Sor 2
Components: V, S, special
Target: one being who has been dead no more than 1 minute per 5 levels
Saving Throw: Will (harmless)
You channel your own life energy into a recently deceased creature, preventing it from actually dying. Upon touching the recently deceased, you take 2 points of Constitution Burn, and they are returned to -2 HP and Stabilized. If the caster chooses, they may take 4 points of Constitution Burn and return the target to 1 HP. This spell is only effective on beings who have been deceased no more than 1 minute per 5 caster levels, with bodies that have not been destroyed (i.e. disintegrated, eaten, etc.)

If made into a potion, it must be consumed by a volunteer who touches the target, taking 2 points of Constitution Burn.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-02-02, 10:06 PM
Improve Wounds looks nice as a fatigue remover. Not sure about the balance.

Exacerbate Wounds seems useful mostly as a fatigue/exhaustion causer. I can't think of many cases where I'd want to convert nonlethal damage to lethal - nonlethal subverts Ferocity-type effects and allows for prisoners.

There is an effect similar to Speed Recovery. It's called Summon Elysian Thrush. It only lasts for 8 hours, and is a level higher. Works in a 30' radius, though.

Cheat Death seems to significantly cheapen death, though I suppose that's intentional. The window of opportunity is much wider than that for Revivify, which is 4 levels higher and requires a material component. This is the sort of spell that changes campaign worlds, even if magic can't be industrialized.

Melayl
2010-02-02, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure about the balance on these either. It's one reason I posted them.

I thought Exacerbate Wounds would be useful on Regenerating creatures, at least. Plus, since I based these loosly off of the Cure spells, I thought they should have Cause effects as well.

I was not aware of the Summon Elysian Thrush spell. What book is it from?

I intended Cheat Death as a way to increase survival for lower-level characters without resorting to really powerful healing magics. I didn't expect that it would really cheapen death. After all, you need to find someone who has the spell prepared or available within the window of time. (I need to edit the list of who can get the spell -- a copy/paste error) Even if you have a potion, you still need someone willing to sacrifice the 2 Constitution points. The only other such spells that I was aware of were Raise Dead and Resurrection, both much higher level. I'm not familiar with the spell Revivify. What book is that in?

I'm not truly averse to changing the time limit for Cheat Death to a slightly lower amount (say, 3 rounds per 5 levels). The current limit was mostly off the top of my head.

Zexion
2010-02-02, 10:40 PM
For Improve Wounds, can it both convert damage and improve status effects with one cast?

Melayl
2010-02-02, 11:06 PM
Currently, yes. But I wouldn't have a problem with changing it to do only one at a time.

Latronis
2010-02-03, 03:41 AM
Man improve wounds could brutal given to something like a Troll hunter.

EDIT: nevermind seems i read the caster line as ranger 1 instead of ranger 2. Though still a troll hunter with ranger levels advanced beyond 6th level could still use it quite effectively