PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]The Warrior (Campaign Class, PEACH)

Drakevarg
2010-02-02, 10:10 PM
In pretty much any other campaign this class would be unnessicary. However, thanks to my obsession with worldbuilding, I've decided to pretty much rewrite all the classes (spells included) and about half the Monster Manual (all outsiders, dragons, and undead, at least), for reasons mostly pertaining to fluff and minor nitpicks towards various class features. So, first on the list is the Warrior, who is basically the Fighter proxy.

Now, I know that this is a rather beige class, and it's designed to be that way. Instead of the usual "Base Class or Prestige Class" thing, I'm designing 4 Base Classes (warrior, acrobat, magi and cleric) and having Focus Classes that narrow down each base class into various specializations. Prestige Classes will often be plot-specific and highly fancy/specialized as a result.

So without further ado; the Warrior.

-----

WARRIOR
Hit Dice: d8

Class Skills
Craft (INT)
Handle Animal (CHA)
Heal (WIS)
Listen (WIS)
Profession (WIS)
Ride (DEX)
Search (INT)
Spot (WIS)
Skill Points: 2

Class Features
Proficiencies:
-All Simple Weapons
-All Martial Weapons
-All Armor
-All Shields
Weapon Training: At 1st level, and every three levels thereafter, a Warrior may undergo specialized training for any weapon they are proficient with. A weapon may be selected multiple times. The first time, the Warrior receives the Weapon Focus feat for that particular weapon. The second time, they recieve Weapon Specialization for that weapon. The third time, they recieve Greater Weapon Focus, and the fourth time they receive Greater Weapon Specialization. A particular weapon cannot be selected more than 4 times.
Combat Training: At 2nd level, and every three levels thereafter, a Warrior undergoes special combat training. They gain a bonus feat, which must be selected from the Combat Training List. The Warrior must still meet the prerequisites for any feat selected.

Combat Training List
Player's Handbook:
-Blind-Fight
-Combat Expertise
-Improved Disarm
-Improved Trip
-Whirlwind Attack
-Combat Reflexes
-Dodge
-Mobility
-Spring Attack
-Exotic Weapon Profciency (Any)
-Improved Critical
-Improved Initiative
-Improved Grapple
-Deflect Arrows
-Snatch Arrows
-Stunning Fist
-Mounted Combat
-Mounted Archery
-Ride-By Attack
-Spirited Charge
-Trample
-Point Blank Shot
-Far Shot
-Precise Shot
-Improved Precise Shot
-Rapid Shot
-Manyshot
-Shot on the Run
-Power Attack
-Cleave
-Great Cleave
-Improved Bull Rush
-Improved Overrun
-Improved Sunder
-Quick Draw
-Rapid Reload
-Improved Shield Bash
-Two-Weapon Fighting
-Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
-Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
-Weapon Finesse
Monster Manual:
-Awesome Blow
-Flyby Attack
-Multiattack
-Multiweapon Fighting
-Snatch
Libris Mortis:
-Daunting Presence
-Ghost Scarred
-Necropotent
-Vampire Hunter
-Death Master
-Eviscerator
Draconomicon:
-Adroit Flyby Attack
-Large and in Charge
-Power Dive
-Improved Multiattack
-Rapidstrike
-Improved Rapidstrike
-Shock Wave
-Improved Snatch
-Multisnatch
-Rend
-Snatch and Swallow
-Tail Constrict
-Tail Sweep Knockdown
-Whirlwind Tail Sweep
-Wingstorm
-Clever Wrestling
-Cunning Sidestep
-Close-Quarters Fighting
-Overhead Thrust
-Deft Strike
-Dragon Hunter
-Dragon Hunter Bravery
-Dragon Hunter Defense
-Dragonfoe
-Dragonbane
-Dragondoom
-Sense Weakness
Player's Handbook II:
-Acrobatic Strike
-Active Shield Defense
-Adaptable Flanker
-Agile Shield Fighter
-Armor Specialization
-Bounding Assault
-Brutal Strike
-Combat Acrobat
-Combat Technician
-Cometary Collision
-Crossbow Sniper
-Crushing Strike
-Deadeye Shot
-Defensive Sweep
-Driving Attack
-Flay
-Grenadier
-Lunging Strike

The Warrior
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Weapon Training
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|Combat Training
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1
4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Weapon Training
5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Combat Training
6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+2
7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+2|Weapon Training
8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+2|Combat Training
9th|+9/+4|+6|+3|+3
10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+3|Weapon Training
11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+3|Combat Training
12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+4
13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+4|Weapon Training
14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+4|Combat Training
15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+5
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+5|Weapon Training
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|Combat Training
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|Weapon Training
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|Combat Training[/table]

-----

The reason why the feat list only cites those books is because of my oft-mentioned dislike of using and books I don't have in meatspace. This includes SRD.

Oh, if by some miracle someone actually likes this class, they're free to use it.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-02, 10:19 PM
Without knowing how your other base classes are going to turn out it is hard to comment, but it looks like the Warrior is very similar to the standard fighter. Unfortunately, unless you are seriously weakening the spellcasting classes, the standard problems with the fighter class will still exist. You may want to look at some of the fighter fixes that have been done on these boards and see about either using part of what they do.

Drakevarg
2010-02-02, 10:23 PM
The Magi (Arcane Spellcaster Base Class) is going to be much weaker than the standard Wizard, yes. Fluff-wise, it's based off the Sorcerer (slightly draconic bloodline, wut wut) and is largely a blaster-type class. Indeed, spellcasters are less walking Cosmic Swiss-Army Knives in this campaign then they are Benders (ala Avatar) except instead of classical elements we get heat and cold, life and death.

Temotei
2010-02-02, 10:50 PM
d8 hit dice will hurt the warrior.

Why aren't the other single weapon-based feats allowed for combat training? Or...Player's Handbook II, at all, for that matter? Do you just not have that source?

Drakevarg
2010-02-02, 10:55 PM
I don't own PHBII. Or anything II, for that matter. I own Core, Libris Mortis, Draconomicon, and whatever I can borrow from friends. (Which as far as I know includes Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer and Deities and Demigods, none of which I had on hand while writing up this class.)

And they have d8 because it's roughly in-line with the BAB, in terms of scaling quantities. Magi have 1/2 BAB, 6 skill points and d4, Acrobats and Clerics have 3/4 BAB, 4 skill points and d6, and Warriors have full BAB, 2 skill points and d8.

Temotei
2010-02-02, 11:08 PM
I don't own PHBII. Or anything II, for that matter. I own Core, Libris Mortis, Draconomicon, and whatever I can borrow from friends. (Which as far as I know includes Complete Warrior, Complete Adventurer and Deities and Demigods, none of which I had on hand while writing up this class.)

And they have d8 because it's roughly in-line with the BAB, in terms of scaling quantities. Magi have 1/2 BAB, 6 skill points and d4, Acrobats and Clerics have 3/4 BAB, 4 skill points and d6, and Warriors have full BAB, 2 skill points and d8.

I could help you compile a list, if you like.

Drakevarg
2010-02-02, 11:15 PM
Sure, I'd be happy to get help. The criteria for a feat is pretty simple; any nonmagical, combat-related feat that could be learned. (As opposed to simply developed, ala Toughness or Improved Natural Armor.)

Seperated by source book, please.

I'm currently working on the other base classes, so those might be up by tomorrow.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-02, 11:17 PM
Sure, I'd be happy to get help. The criteria for a feat is pretty simple; any nonmagical, combat-related feat that could be learned. (As opposed to simply developed, ala Toughness or Improved Natural Armor.)

Seperated by source book, please.

I'm currently working on the other base classes, so those might be up by tomorrow.

That may rely a bit too much on fluff. Toughness for example doesn't need to be developed so much as undergoing rigorous training that improves your overall health and constitution. Instead of complicated training, just go running and lifting a lot. This is more realistic than it might seem at first glance. I know someone who survived a very bad car accident in part because she was in very good shape. Effectively, she had Improved Toughness, Toughness and Great Fortitude. Or something like that.

Drakevarg
2010-02-02, 11:27 PM
I suppose, but considering that, I could simply go from "Combat Training" to just "Bonus Feat." Almost anything in the books could be taught. Not to mention it could easily be argued that weight training and whatnot is exactly what gives the Warrior it's high fortitude saves.

The implication here is that they're gaining specific training, instead of simply exercising for physical improvement.

Temotei
2010-02-03, 12:28 AM
I messaged you A - L from PHB II.

Drakevarg
2010-02-03, 04:49 PM
Added the ones I approved of. I left out all the ones involving ki (makes no sense with the campaign's fluff), the one involving Aid Another (doesn't exist in my campaign), and the one involving Intimidate (again, doesn't exist).