PDA

View Full Version : Dropping out of High School

Jay Mindbinder
2010-02-03, 01:10 AM
Well due to bureaucratic complications and personal family matters I can no longer legally attend High School. I am halfway through my senior year and have already been accepted into a 2-year college. My primary option now is to take my GED and hope that the college I'm planning on attending (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_School) will accept it. Bradford ain't exactly Harvard, so I am thinking that they will.

In any case, I'm looking for commentary on my situation {Scrubbed - Don't get into the political aspects.}.

Solaris
2010-02-03, 01:13 AM
Well, I know that someone attempting to join the military who has a GED must also have 12 college credits if he wants to stand a chance - and the Air Force just plain won't take 'im. I've heard that it's harder for someone with a GED to get a job than even someone without a GED or a diploma, but that's at the unskilled level.

thubby
2010-02-03, 01:17 AM
I'm curious as to what could make it so you can't attend any high-school...

anyway. It's been my experience that colleges and jobs don't like GED's, but once you get into a college, people only really care about what college you're coming from.

Jay Mindbinder
2010-02-03, 01:22 AM
I'm not living with my family right now. In fact I am several states away from them, and, due to financial concerns both on my family's part and the part of the people I am now living with, it is impossible to get them down here, or me back up with them.

The reason the two groups need to be together is because every school I have checked thus far has said that a legal guardian needs to be present in order to enroll me. Even if I wanted to change guardianship to the family I am currently living with, that would be impossible sense, once again, the groups have to be together in person in order to get guardianship changed.

I have explored a great variety of options, and have met with dead-ends at every turn. The GED was actually among my last.

thubby
2010-02-03, 01:26 AM
then you have my sympathies, but as i said, IME they stop caring about high-school once you're in college.

Jay Mindbinder
2010-02-03, 01:27 AM
then you have my sympathies, but as i said, IME they stop caring about high-school once you're in college.

Thanks. Thus my primary concern is actually getting IN college.

arguskos
2010-02-03, 01:29 AM
Not sure how Pennsylvania handles it, but I know in both Ohio and Texas you can get into a community college with a GED, no issue. I'm willing to bet that Penn. does the same. :smallwink:

RS14
2010-02-03, 01:35 AM

Call the admissions office and ask if a GED will be an issue. You don't want to find out when you show up at college. Oh, and maybe do so anonymously?

Here is some advice, though specific to Kentucky. (http://www.kylawhelp.org/node/759)

Have you considered becoming legally emancipated? Would this be sufficient for enrollment?

Jay Mindbinder
2010-02-03, 01:48 AM
I guess I haven't called them yet because I fear a rejection.

The logic of those I've talked to is that it will take to long to get legally emancipated, and by the time it actually advances through the courts it will be to late to start high school again anyway.

Also, previously mentioned several-states-away thing MIGHT be an issue. I don't know

RS14
2010-02-03, 01:53 AM
SCHOOL ATTENDANCE AND RESIDENCE

A minor must normally attend school in the public school district where his or her parents reside. This is not required if the student is homeless or lives with a relative or other adult who resides in another school district. Pennsylvania law says if that adult provides all housing, financial support and parental guidance for the minor, the minor may attend school in the school district where the adult supporting him or her lives. However, before the minor can enroll, the adult resident must sign a notarized affidavit which says he or she is providing all financial support to the minor, and will be responsible for the minor's school attendance and behavior. Attached is the affidavit forms that conform to the requirements of Pennsylvania law.

Source. (http://www.nwls.org/emancipation_of_minors.htm)

texttexttext

Jay Mindbinder
2010-02-03, 01:55 AM
Source. (http://www.nwls.org/emancipation_of_minors.htm)

texttexttext

Yeah, problem.

PA is where my family lives, and where I lived for most of my life. And where I'm planning on moving back to if/when my college semester starts.

I am now living in Tennessee. Not sure how the laws differ

Don Julio Anejo
2010-02-03, 02:11 AM
I would have to guess most state laws are similar in this regard, so you shouldn't have problems doing the same thing in Tennessee. That said, I'm pretty far removed from anything resembling a lawyer and I haven't lived in the States for... well, 9 something years.

One thing you may do is walk into your local high school and ask precisely this question. If you live with a family member who will support you, bring them along if physically possible, mostly to make it seem like they're the one who's asking.

GED will probably not close the doors for you to get into a technical school, but it still creates problems since many places want a high school diploma, and some jobs specifically demand it.

RS14
2010-02-03, 02:11 AM
Ah. You're maybe screwed.

Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, a person designated as a caregiver with the power of attorney for care of a minor child pursuant to title 34, chapter 6, part 3 shall have the right to enroll the minor child in the LEA serving the area where the caregiver resides. The LEA shall allow a caregiver with a properly executed power of attorney for care of a minor child, pursuant to title 34, chapter 6, part 3, to enroll the minor child, but may require documentation of the minor child's residence with a caregiver or documentation or other verification of the validity of the stated hardship prior to enrollment.

But also

(a) (1) A parent or parents of a minor child may delegate to any adult person residing in this state temporary care-giving authority regarding the minor child when hardship prevents the parent or parents from caring for the child. This authority may be delegated without the approval of a court by executing in writing a power of attorney for care of a minor child on a form provided by the department of children's services. Hardships may include but are not limited to:

(A) The serious illness or incarceration of a parent or legal guardian;

(B) The physical or mental condition of the parent or legal guardian or the child is such that care and supervision of the child cannot be provided; or

(C) The loss or uninhabitability of the child's home as the result of a natural disaster.

(2) A local education agency (LEA) is not required to enroll a student with a power of attorney stating a hardship other than one (1) of the three (3) specifically stated in subdivisions (a)(1)(A)-(C). The LEA may, however, enroll a student with a properly executed power of attorney for other hardships on a case by case basis.

These honestly seem contradictory. It sounds like your relatives can be given authority without your parents being present, but I'm not sure.

thubby
2010-02-03, 02:23 AM
at the worst you get into a community college and transfer.
that's what I'm doing and I'm getting into a better college than my high school grades (before i had to drop out) would have allowed.
it's all very stressful, but if you're anything like me, it helps to know it's not the end of the world :smallcool:

Rockphed
2010-02-03, 02:38 AM
I wasted 3 years of my life because I was afraid of rejection and didn't look into things. Look at the websites of the colleges you want to go to. They will probably have information regarding transferring from community college or if you have a GED. If you don't find anything, the worst they can tell you is that whatever caused you to drop out of High School will interfere with admissions.

Jay Mindbinder
2010-02-03, 04:31 AM
Well, I just emailed Bradford regarding their policies on GEDs. If they don't accept them, I know at least a few colleges that will, so I am at least slightly comforted.

skywalker
2010-02-03, 04:37 AM
I am now living in Tennessee. Not sure how the laws differ

Whereabouts in my fine state, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, why so hasty to get back to PA? It's warmer here!

These honestly seem contradictory. It sounds like your relatives can be given authority without your parents being present, but I'm not sure.

No, not quite.

This:
Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary, a person designated as a caregiver with the power of attorney for care of a minor child pursuant to title 34, chapter 6, part 3 shall have the right to enroll the minor child in the LEA serving the area where the caregiver resides. The LEA shall allow a caregiver with a properly executed power of attorney for care of a minor child, pursuant to title 34, chapter 6, part 3, to enroll the minor child, but may require documentation of the minor child's residence with a caregiver or documentation or other verification of the validity of the stated hardship prior to enrollment.

means that the caregiver has the right to enroll the child provided they have power of attorney that was delegated based on the specific hardships listed in title 34.

This:
(a) (1) A parent or parents of a minor child may delegate to any adult person residing in this state temporary care-giving authority regarding the minor child when hardship prevents the parent or parents from caring for the child. This authority may be delegated without the approval of a court by executing in writing a power of attorney for care of a minor child on a form provided by the department of children's services. Hardships may include but are not limited to:

(A) The serious illness or incarceration of a parent or legal guardian;

(B) The physical or mental condition of the parent or legal guardian or the child is such that care and supervision of the child cannot be provided; or

(C) The loss or uninhabitability of the child's home as the result of a natural disaster.

(2) A local education agency (LEA) is not required to enroll a student with a power of attorney stating a hardship other than one (1) of the three (3) specifically stated in subdivisions (a)(1)(A)-(C). The LEA may, however, enroll a student with a properly executed power of attorney for other hardships on a case by case basis.

Dictates what hardships specifically allow school enrollment when they are invoked in delegating authority. It also indicates that they don't have to take you if you don't have one of those 3 problems, but they aren't barred from taking you either. It's their call, basically.

That's a roundabout way of saying that no, they aren't contradictory, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, Jay Mindbinder, I think it all parses out to: You need to figure out whether your college(s) of choice accepts a GED. Concurrent to that (in case they don't) you need to get down to school with your guardian and ask them if they'll take you. If they won't, you need to go figure out how to get your guardian power of attorney so that they will.

And you need to do it tomorrow, because waiting around until February crap, it's already February... Wasting time not being in class will end up with you being just as bad off as if they told you no.

I like the school system in America, generally. I've never been anywhere else, but it hasn't been bad to me. Generally speaking, in comparison to other school systems I've been taught about/informally studied, there is less rigidity in curriculum, and specialization comes at a later age. I see these as good things, since I prefer a broad base with freedom for individuality.

I have a lot to say about our credential based society, but I'm inclined to hold off on that for the moment. We'll see how it goes.

potatocubed
2010-02-03, 04:44 AM
A friend of mine dropped out of high school (in IL), went to community college, and thus to university (in IA). Now she's a lawyer, an expert in her field, and speaks at conferences and wotnot. So don't lose hope!

I can confirm what's been mentioned up-thread on one score: real-world people only care about the highest level of academic achievement you have. If you have college credit they don't much care that you only have a GED. If you have a Ph.D. they don't care what your degree is like. If you have real-world experience they don't care how many Ph.D.s you have (or don't have).

So my advice is to get into college - any college - and from there university if you can. Then you'll be set. :smallsmile:

smellie_hippie
2010-02-03, 06:35 AM
I say push for power of attorney, finish high school legally with the ... family members?:smallconfused: with whom you are living currently.
Graduate.
Move back to PA.
College. (which you said had already accepted you)
Happiness!

Oh, and to echo Skywalker... where in TN?

snoopy13a
2010-02-03, 09:31 AM
The community college route could be the best option. They usually take all applicants and are less expensive than four year schools. If you do well, you'll be able to transfer to a four year year school. The key is taking it seriously, working hard and getting good grades. The community college students who fail do so because they treat it like 13th grade.

Cyrion
2010-02-03, 09:56 AM
Most/many community colleges are open enrollment- they'll take anyone regardless of previous credentials. You might have to take some placement tests/classes as an extra hoop, but that shouldn't be more than an extra detail. With a GED and a good GPA in your associate's degree you should be able to transfer to a good 4-year school to finish a bachelor's without too much trouble. From there, you're back on the "normal" academic track to do whatever you want with it.

I'll second (or third? or fourth? +1 anyway!) the encouragement that you can still get the education you need whether you plan to stop at a 2-year degree or move all the way through grad school or professional school. The important thing is for you take control. As I tell my students- be aggressive about your education. Be the proactive one who looks for the resources and takes the opportunities you need and be successful.

Do you have any options for testing out of high school early and effectively getting your diploma that way?

LCR
2010-02-03, 10:14 AM
Assuming that your schools are anything like our schools, I think your best bet is to just talk to your headmaster. If you do want to attend school (sounds like it), they won't screw you, but try to make it happen. It's not exactly in the school's interest NOT to let you attend. Maybe there's some easy solution to this mess.

Force
2010-02-03, 10:16 AM
Local community college here in MI will let anyone take classes, so long as they do alright on their assessment tests. It's probably better to just take your GED and go to a community college over trying to head back to high school, if you're sure you can get your GED.... Especially considering that it's freaking February :P

cycoris
2010-02-03, 02:52 PM
Is there any reason why you need a high school diploma or a GED?

Couldn't you just attend college as a homeschooled student? Or take classes at a community college and then apply to whatever school you want to go to as a transfer student (at which point they won't care about your high school whatevers anyhow)?

jlvm4
2010-02-03, 06:56 PM
The reason the two groups need to be together is because every school I have checked thus far has said that a legal guardian needs to be present in order to enroll me. Even if I wanted to change guardianship to the family I am currently living with, that would be impossible sense, once again, the groups have to be together in person in order to get guardianship changed.

My suggestion would be to schedule a meeting with the high school principal. Explain the details, being as specific as possible. Check to see if a notorized form or other method might solve your problems. In my interactions with our school district (as a parent) they really do want you to stay in school and will work hard to figure out how to do that. Truth be told, residency more than guardianship is the issue here (they want to know you live in the school district). Regardless, if you have all your appropriate paperwork (birth certificate, immunization record, social security card, etc) I bet the principal or district superintendant can walk you through the byzantine system.

If not, you might want to investigate what legal remedies you might have to change gardianship. Not sure what's involved, but an understanding party might be able to use some sort of witnessed testimony system (as when a trial witness cannot physically attend a trial) to transfer gardianship or just get the enrollment papers signed. You might have to go to family court or something, but I can't imagine your situation has never happened before.

There are also some 'do it yourself' legal websites that might point you in the direction you need to go (making picking the right administrator, judge, or whatever easier), and maybe asking around at some appropriate law firms might get a pro bono (in other words free or cheap) actual legal representation.

But please try to exhaust every method possible before giving up on school. Other posters have talked about the disadvantages of no degree or a GED at length, so I won't, but keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck.

Groundhog
2010-02-03, 09:44 PM
If you are already halfway through your senior year, then it is entirely possible that you've already fulfilled your graduation requirements, because many states don't require four years of every subject. And if there are only one or two classes that you still need to graduate, then you may be able to arrange with your principal to take those classes at a community college and graduate in June like you were supposed to.

I haven't looked any of this up, I just have a friend who graduated early that way, but not in your state.

Jay Mindbinder
2010-02-03, 10:08 PM
Explain situation stuff

Unfortunately, I have attempted to explain the situation to multiple school districts. Usually, when I call, I get abruptly interrupted with a "Legal guardian must be present" and then hung up on. When I coerced my mother to call around to see what she could do, and she explained the situation as clear as she could, she was met with a "It's just the rules." We tried suggesting every possible alternative, but it seems that a guardian needs to be present. I have all the appropriate paperwork, and have made this clear to them, but to no avail

To the person who asked where in Tennessee I live, it's in Jonesborough.

THAC0
2010-02-03, 10:21 PM
First, check to see if you already have enough credits to graduate.

Second, check your states laws. If they are in your favor, call the school and tell them the law (using the law-speech! Paragraph X, section Y, statute Z!) If they continue to ignore you, bring it to the school board and then threaten legal action. Assuming, of course, that the law is in your favor, you won't actually have to follow through on that as they will go to their legal counsel, be advised of the fact that they will lose, and will cave.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-03, 11:52 PM
If they do take you you might as well go. Any higher education is better than none. You don't want "high school drop out who never attended college" on your resume.

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-04, 02:09 AM
Unfortunately, I have attempted to explain the situation to multiple school districts. Usually, when I call, I get abruptly interrupted with a "Legal guardian must be present" and then hung up on. When I coerced my mother to call around to see what she could do, and she explained the situation as clear as she could, she was met with a "It's just the rules." We tried suggesting every possible alternative, but it seems that a guardian needs to be present. I have all the appropriate paperwork, and have made this clear to them, but to no avail

To the person who asked where in Tennessee I live, it's in Jonesborough.Don't call. Go. Take your current guardian, go stand in front of their desk and say "I need to finish my education. Help me, please. There has to be a way." They can't hang up on someone who's standing in front of them.

You might also consider asking them who their higher authority is so that you can ask that person what needs to be done. Don't be mean about it, but be certain they understand that you're serious.

skywalker
2010-02-04, 04:19 AM
I say push for power of attorney, finish high school legally with the ... family members?:smallconfused: with whom you are living currently.
Graduate.
Move back to PA.
College. (which you said had already accepted you)
Happiness!

Oh, and to echo Skywalker... where in TN?

So basically... Echoing skywalker completely? :smalltongue:

Assuming that your schools are anything like our schools, I think your best bet is to just talk to your headmaster. If you do want to attend school (sounds like it), they won't screw you, but try to make it happen. It's not exactly in the school's interest NOT to let you attend. Maybe there's some easy solution to this mess.

It's one more person to find a space for, books for, supervision for, etc. A person who hasn't been budgeted for in a school that is potentially already overcrowded. In short, there are a number of reasons it's in the school's interest not to let him attend.

As was said: Change your power of attorney! Then go to the school in question and make a point of it.

Don't call. Go. Take your current guardian, go stand in front of their desk and say "I need to finish my education. Help me, please. There has to be a way." They can't hang up on someone who's standing in front of them.

You might also consider asking them who their higher authority is so that you can ask that person what needs to be done. Don't be mean about it, but be certain they understand that you're serious.

If someone could find a way to hang up on someone physically, it would be the Tennessee Department of Children's Services. No offense to anyone, but I have had nothing but terrible experience with those people.

LCR
2010-02-04, 02:09 PM
Actually, appealing to a higher authority might be a good idea. If your school is this stubborn, talk to your mayor, local MP/congressman, state senator, really, anyone who's standing for public office. And bring the media.
I can imagine that a lot of politicians will want appeal to the electorate by standing strong on education. And your case will cost the state senator/councilman next to nothing. All he'll have to do is shake your hands on a picture subtitled "young man struggling to finish his education, Sen. Miller promises unbureaucratic help".

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-02-04, 03:04 PM
Jay Mindbinder, If you're a senior in high school, are you 18 yet, or do you have a late birthday. Because, if you are 18, you are a legal adult and at that point shouldn't need a legal guardian present.

Jay Mindbinder
2010-02-04, 03:16 PM
Bradford just called me saying that they'll accept a GED. That opens up that option, at least