PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) (ToB) A Vexing Foe (Creature) (PEACH)

DracoDei
2010-02-03, 01:17 AM
Tittering Brick Squirrel
Diminutive Magical Beast
HD 1/4d10-1 (1 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); Climb 40 ft
Init: +5 (+5 Dex)
AC 19; touch 19; flat-footed 14
(+5 Dex, + 4 size)
BAB +0; Grp -16
Attack Bite +0 Melee (1d1-4 damage)
OR Nut +9 Ranged Touch (No damage (refreshes maneuver), No critical)
OR Brick Drop +9 Ranged Touch (2d6 blugeoning, x2)
Full-Attack Bite +0 Melee (1d1-4 damage)
OR Nut +9 Ranged Touch (No damage (refreshes maneuver), No critical)
OR Brick Drop +9 Ranged Touch (2d6 blugeoning, x2)
Space 1 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Brick Drop, Thrown Nut
Special Qualities Low-Light Vision, NO Dark-vision
Saves Fort +1 Ref +7 Will +1
Abilities Str 2, Dex 20, Con 8, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills Balance +11, Climb +11, Jump +13
Feats Dodge
Environment Temperate Forest
Organization Solitary, Pair, Hod (4-8), or Pallet (10-40)
Challenge Rating 1/2 ((Play-test revealed that the 20' range is a very large limitation since if they start out spread out they have to spend a round closing before they can even throw the "warning shot". maybe CR 1/3 or 1/4))
Treasure Nuts
Alignment Neutral Neutral (Neutral Neutral Funky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55828) if using the Kellus's third axis of alignment).

Throw Nut (or peice of tree bark) (Ex): Thrown nuts (or bits of tree bark) have a range increment of 20 feet, and a maximum range of 60 feet. They deal no damage, but for Tittering Brick Squirrels allow them to refresh their maneuver (if they hit). The maneuver becomes expended without effect if not used within 5 minutes.

Squirrels are very territorial, especially during the mating season, throwing nuts and bits of tree bark at intruders. Tittering Brick Squirrels will follow up with bricks, flower-pots, or thousands of nuts and/or bits of bark falling out of thin air against creatures larger than Diminutive size class (or predators going after them regardless of size) if the bark pieces and their chittering (which sounds like a high-pitched giggle) proves ineffective.

Maneuver: Tittering Brick Squirrels may use the Brick Drop maneuver, and may refresh it by striking a foe with an acorn or bit of bark or what-not. They may substitute a mechanically identical bombardment of nuts and bits of bark for the brick or flower-pot. The maneuver becomes expended without effect if not used within 5 minutes of being readied.

Skills: Tittering Brick Squirrels use their dexterity modifier in place of their strength modifier for climb and jump checks. They recieve a +4 racial bonus to balance, climb, and jump.

Summoning Tittering Brick Squirrels: Chaotic aligned druids and rangers who (at the GMs sole discression) are sufficiently zany, and whose number of levels of maritial initiating classes are high enough to cast the SPECIFIC spell in question if it was their caster level may add Tittering Brick Squirrels to the creature list for Summon Nature's Ally I. This means that if they have a single level of a martial initiating class they can summon 1 with S.N.A. I, if they have at least 3 levels of martial initiating classes they can summon 1d3 with S.N.A. II, and if they have at least 5 levels of martial initiating classes then they can summon 1d4+1 with S.N.A. III or higher. Summoned Tittering Brick Squirrels arrive with their maneuver readied, and it is considered polite to allow them to throw a final nut or bit of bark at a fallen foe's corpse to recover it before dismissing them if time allows.

Brick Drop
Falling Anvil (Strike) [Chaos]
Level: Swordsage 1
Prerequisite: Non-lawful alignment
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: 20 feet
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous

You smile crookedly at a selected creature and a brick or a moderately sized flowerpot complete with moist soil and a blossoming daisy falls towards them (no matter how low the ceiling may be, or even if there is no ceiling). It strikes as a ranged touch attack, and deals 2d6 bludgeoning damage if successful. The brick or flowerpot (including flower and soil) disappears at the end of combat.
This maneuver is a supernatural ability.

Mulletmanalive
2010-02-03, 09:48 AM
Finally, someone else taking up my non-humanoid TOB idea!

I like this one. Very silly.

I'm left thinking of the "nut hits head, picks up, looks up, crushed by rain of the damn things" schtick that otherwise seems missing from the critter.

The-Mage-King
2010-02-03, 10:22 AM
...I... am going to use this in my campaign over on the WoTC boards. I've been needing something this silly...

DracoDei
2010-02-03, 12:28 PM
Finally, someone else taking up my non-humanoid TOB idea!

I like this one. Very silly.

I'm left thinking of the "nut hits head, picks up, looks up, crushed by rain of the damn things" schtick that otherwise seems missing from the critter.

Yeah, well, I would have done it earlier, except that someone in the Falling Anvil thread called "dibs" on making a monster for Falling Anvil... so I gave them a while to be nice, but by this time I think it is a matter of "So I made a monster that uses Falling Anvil Maneuvers... that in NO way stops you from doing one of your own."

As for the rain of nuts, I think I could put that in as an alternative object to the flower pot/brick. EDIT: Done.

...I... am going to use this in my campaign over on the WoTC boards. I've been needing something this silly...
Link please? Like most of the homebrewers around here I am always hungry for play-test data.

EDIT: Also added an underpowered option to summon them (I mean I GUESS it is underpowered... I mean bears with access to Stone Dragon maneuvers and Wis to AC are pretty scary I suppose, but I never heard of anyone cross-classing Druid and Sword-sage or whatever).

The-Mage-King
2010-02-03, 12:52 PM
Certainly. (http://community.wizards.com/tmkscampaign)

It'll probably be a while, though, and I might need to combine them with Skiruds or advance them to get them dangerous enough for level fives...

But still, attacked by squirrels...

Won't be much worse than everyday for me.

DracoDei
2010-02-03, 01:00 PM
Certainly. (http://community.wizards.com/tmkscampaign)

It'll probably be a while, though, and I might need to combine them with Skiruds or advance them to get them dangerous enough for level fives...

But still, attacked by squirrels...

Well, I would think that 40 of them, spread out over a wide enough area that they can't hit all of them with a single fireball (although if you make the trees dry enough...) would actually be pretty deadly (IE you don't need that many). Especially if you drop my newly added rule about them having to throw a nut and hit with it before that individual can use its brick drop.

Or go ahead and combine them with skiruds or advance them if you don't feel like running that many.

Debihuman
2010-02-04, 08:19 AM
Oh this is just too much fun. It's too bad that there aren't more intelligent versions of this creature.

Debby

Sereg
2010-02-04, 11:04 AM
I just have to say, "Yay, a Falling anvil monster!"

I think that this could be a lot of fun.