PDA

View Full Version : NPC Building Competition Chat Thread

Fortuna
2010-02-03, 03:23 AM
Hooray, a chat thread!

Current Competition:

The Magician

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/4946/magiciana.jpg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140713)

BooNL
2010-02-03, 04:27 AM
Cool concept!

Is there a particular level we should be building towards? Or do we choose that ourselves?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-03, 07:17 AM
Indeed, color me entering.

And since I'm posting now, I'd like to note that the rule

4. No reserving posts. Feel free to post a creature and tweak it, but you have to have the basic beast already done.

seems to have an error, since we aren't building beats. :smalltongue:

Rasman
2010-02-03, 07:36 AM
this is ACTUALLY a really difficult build, you basically have to build a Magician in a world that ALREADY has magic in it...it's hard to get more impressive than "I turn you into a cat"

Fortuna
2010-02-03, 12:39 PM
@BooNL: Any level you like.

@The Dark Fiddler: Thanks, nice catch.

@Rasman: Ooh, I got one. "I turn you into a cat while running smooth patter without waving my arms about more than one simple flourish." Build for that, if you insist.

Kol Korran
2010-02-03, 01:05 PM
i'm intrigued, very intrigued, and i think i might have an amusing idea. however, i've never done this "post build" business before. what do i need to detail?

levels and race i assume?
attributes? any array or limitations we're bound to?
spells/ choice of powers?
feats?
items?
i can do quite well on the "fluff" thing, but i've never done the crunch thing on the posts- how much detail do i need to get into?
and how much can i tweak things outside the strict rules?

sorry for the nag, and thanks in advance,i'm new at this.
Kol.

Fortuna
2010-02-03, 10:47 PM
Hey, no problem. Always glad to help someone out.

Levels, race, name, attributes based on the appropriate array (Elite for those with PC classes, Standard for those without), Spells/powers known or commonly memorized, feats, equipment including magic items, BAB, saves, initiative, and all that stuff. Basically calculate anything possible to calculate in advance, and write down anything that might be relavent to later calculations (not in full necessarily, but the name of the ability or whatever).

What do you mean by that last bit? Run stuff by me, and I'll let you know if it's OK.

BooNL
2010-02-04, 05:27 AM
Can I create 2 NPC's instead of only 1?

I have an idea forming, but I might require a duo for it.

Fortuna
2010-02-04, 12:32 PM
Hmmm... Tricky. I'm going to say you can create one of them, and give a rough description of the other in the fluff (as in "X usually works closely with Y, a ABC whatever"). Is that enough?

Eldariel
2010-02-04, 05:04 PM
There's a bothersome restriction there in the:
"Your entry may not be a duplicate of a well-known build..."

Few clarifications:
1) May you use builds you've come up with yourself? That is, may you use old builds you first created?
2) What's considered "well-known"? What degree of exposure does a build need to be considered "well-known"?
3) How close can you be to a well-known build without invoking this rule?

d13
2010-02-04, 05:12 PM
Let's say I'm working on it, now...

Fortuna
2010-02-05, 01:47 PM
Eldariel: I think that that was possibly ill-thought-out. I will change that.