PDA

View Full Version : If you could travel back in time and talk to younger you...

Gamerlord
2010-02-03, 02:51 PM
What would you say to younger you?

By younger you, I mean as a child.

I would say.

Brush your teeth more often, otherwise you will need braces in the future.

valadil
2010-02-03, 03:03 PM
I'd probably punch little me in the teeth.

Gamerlord
2010-02-03, 03:18 PM
I'd probably punch little me in the teeth.

But then you get punched in the teeth...

KuReshtin
2010-02-03, 03:18 PM
"Buy stock in Apple, Microsoft and Google!"

Stadge
2010-02-03, 03:21 PM
Hmm, I'd probably tell myself to pretty much do whatever he feels is best as it's worked out pretty good for me. I'd tell him to enjoy every moment he has with his family and when the phone rings at the start of december 2008, pick it up and talk to your dad for hours. Oh and you'll never believe it past me, but you end up in an awesome place.

smellie_hippie
2010-02-03, 03:27 PM
"Just getting by is easier but totally not worth it in the end... do what you're capable of. Oh, and practice guitar more." :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2010-02-03, 03:31 PM
1) it gets easier in college
2) it's called (name of condition i have) and it's treated with (medication)
3) invest in google

SurlySeraph
2010-02-03, 03:31 PM
Me within the last 8 years? "Get off the Internet and go talk to people."
Before that? "Listen to your family about studying. Don't listen to them about anything social-life-related."

Supagoof
2010-02-03, 03:32 PM
"Watch out for a poster who goes by the name of The Shunter...." :smallamused:

Totally Guy
2010-02-03, 03:32 PM
I'd tell me about the hobbies that have been worth my time and the ones that have not.

I'd also say that it turns out that we don't need to treat money the same way Mum does. Or Dad, but for very different reasons.

Castaras
2010-02-03, 03:54 PM
"Stay in Karate. You'll really regret it if you don't."
"Go get the TB jab from a doctor's. It'll help you overcome your fear to actually have a jab rather than panic and imagine things."
"Actually do some work with your GCSEs. You can't just glide through them and get A*s."
"Stick with your friends you make. Don't leave them for another group, that group isn't as nice as your current mates."
"Don't stop kitting and polymer claying."
"Concentrate on your clarinet practise."

The list goes on...

Come to think of it. Some of that stuff is applicable to me now.

Starscream
2010-02-03, 03:55 PM
When you hear that Transformers is getting made into a movie, don't get too excited. It's Masters of the Universe all over again.

smellie_hippie
2010-02-03, 04:08 PM
When you hear that Transformers is getting made into a movie, don't get too excited. It's Masters of the Universe all over again.

But... but... it's Dolph Lundgren! He's He-Man and The Punisher!!! :smalleek:

FoE
2010-02-03, 04:08 PM
Start working out in high school and keep doing it. Don't be so afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Don't worry so much about finding a girlfriend, but don't let opportunities slip through your fingers. If someone isn't in love with you, no amount of trying will make it happen. It doesn't get any easier after high school, but at least people don't pick on you and tease you so much. Be good to your mom and dad; they won't be around forever.

Jack Squat
2010-02-03, 04:14 PM
Don't stop working out/running. You'll hate starting it back up again. Also, get some friends that'll spar. Being rusty gets you hurt.
Don't slalom ski on the 4th of July.
Start thinking now what you want to do with your life and how to get there.
and finally...
Stop over-thinking everything and go with your instincts - they won't lead you wrong.

Dr. Bath
2010-02-03, 04:16 PM
Don't be lazy. Except if you were not lazy you wouldn't be in the situation I am and therefore wouldn't dispense this advice, bringing us back to the original point, ie, now. Then. Future? Screw this lets go to the zoo.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-03, 04:17 PM
''take better care of your teeth, and go to the dentist''
(I had a couple of years where I didn't go to the dentist at all)

Other stuff would probably actually change stuff except my teeth, thus make me different then who I am now...

Lost Demiurge
2010-02-03, 04:23 PM
"First things first, the time traveller keyword is Peanut Parfait."

"Watch the metabolism. Round about the mid-20's it slows way down... Once you start getting near 200, eat a bit less and exercise a bit more."

"Oh, and the problem that comes up later probably isn't stomach related, but intestinal. DGL Licorice helps massively. On the other hand, you might never go through it if the weight stays down."

"Aside from that, relax. It's working out well so far. You'll go through tough times now and again, but they'll temper you. You'll have great joys and great sorrows, and it'll be good. We're patient. That's a good thing. That strategy hasn't steered us wrong so far."

Coidzor
2010-02-03, 04:24 PM
Force yourself to start cooking relatively healthy dinner choices so that you know how to do it well by the time you're out of the house.

Try to limit father's production of sweet baked goods to once or twice a month.

Keep playing piano, and start doing free writing every day, and start waking up early enough to do so before school. Establish a daily routine with a more or less static bedtime so you're not alternatively strangely energetic or completely zombified.

Learn to keep a pleasant but poker face up as you meet new people so you don't overwhelm them by being overly open. Develop a better internal filter and start getting a handle on the giddiness so it doesn't overwhelm your good judgment.

Start biking to school in highschool. Keep reading on the side, especially more short stories.

Surrealistik
2010-02-03, 04:28 PM
Invest all of your money in Google ASAP, sell Google holdings, then 'short' toxic mortgage securitizations around early 2007 ASAP.

DarklingPerhaps
2010-02-03, 04:31 PM
"Just because it's easy to get C's doesn't mean you shouldn't try for A's."

"Read some first-person perspective history. It'll make it easier to actually learn the blasted stuff."

"Quit regretting things. Even if I went through and told you all my regrets right now changing them doesn't matter. Mistakes happen, get over them."

and lastly, "Whatever you do don't throw that brick. It may seem worth it but it definately isn't. Trust me."

Quincunx
2010-02-03, 04:43 PM
"Yes, it's you ffs, quit staring at that ring--Oh. Yeah. It means 'for ****'s sake' and yes it's a handy acronym. . .No, I'm not from an alternative universe, ffs!"

Discussion would get a trifle repetitive at that point. :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2010-02-03, 04:43 PM
"Kid, go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb."

Or other random advice like "Don't be afraid of who you are or what you can be. The prize at the end is worth the hardships of the journey."

Solaris
2010-02-03, 04:49 PM
Pretty much every decision I made between the ages of fourteen and eighteen-nineteen was a really bad one. Example: I'm in the Army and don't speak to most anyone back home more than once or twice a year. I got a whole list of things I'd warn past self about.
A'course, knowing about certain tragedies... I'd say the biggest, most important thing for me would be to get myself a message on 7 November, 2008: "Don't let Doc open the refrigerator. It's got sixty pounds of kaboomie inside it."

snoopy13a
2010-02-03, 04:51 PM
Invest all of your money in Google ASAP, sell Google holdings, then 'short' toxic mortgage securitizations around early 2007 ASAP.

Post of the thread :smallsmile:

I'd also suggest pulling a Back to the Future 2 and bringing along a sports almanac for future wagering :smallsmile:

paddyfool
2010-02-03, 04:52 PM
- Do VSU, not CCF
- Never try a game called "daggerfall". Or "diablo II".
- You know how when you practice things, you get better? It doesn't just apply to musical instruments and martial arts. Go out and talk to people more.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-03, 04:58 PM
Pay more attention in school and try harder, damn you, and don't be afraid to seize opportunities.

Pyrian
2010-02-03, 04:59 PM
Come to think of it. Some of that stuff is applicable to me now.Yeah, I think it's more useful to imagine what the person who you'll be ten years from now would want to say to you now.

alchemyprime
2010-02-03, 04:59 PM
"Little me, no regrets. No sadness. Always hope. Don't let people walk all over you or manipulate you with sex or candy or vintage issues of Silver Surfer. Strive for A's and try for them, or else our little sister will make us regret it. Make comics, and remember to try to stay a friend above all to as many folks as you can. When your brother gets a girlfriend in 10th grade, warn him about Danno. Don't feel too bad about not getting to Japan, it'll happen one day. I hope. Don't worry about smoking too much, that's not our addiction thankfully. Watch out for women, don't worry about break ups, and make sure to be a good guy no matter what. Your anger is fierce; don't let it control you. Learn a martial art called Krav Maga, it'll make you into Batman. Doctor Who will be a great show; also there will be a show called Heroes. Don't take classes on Monday nights, or you'll miss the whole 3rd season. It'll suck bad. Don't let boredom stop you from drawing comics, and when the Nintendo DS comes out, wait three years for the third model to come out. It'll be a GameBoy, an iPod and a camera all in one and it'll rock your socks. Also, start playing tennis. Trust me. It'll help in the long run. And join drama! For the love of all things holy, join drama! Oh, and see if you can train Megan to be a DM or else you'll NEVER be on the other side of the DM screen.

And when a crazy man with a blue box talks to you, go in with him so we can have this conversation later."

reorith
2010-02-03, 05:03 PM
"hello little one, i'm you from the future! robots have exterminated almost everyone. the handful of humans left are only kept so they can run the incinerators and disposal units but one guy is going to teach us how to fight back. SPOILER ALERT! SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE"

Derjuin
2010-02-03, 05:06 PM
"Don't let the feelings go; no matter what Mom or Dad say, don't let
them go. And don't play video games all night long, ever." That'd me my
2 cents to myself, I think.

Voldecanter
2010-02-03, 05:28 PM
"Ok First things firt , you won't be friends with anyone from Elementary School in the future so crying over the fact that they think your weird isn't worth it . I mean it DON'T STAY FRIENDS WITH ANYONE FROM ELEMENTARY SCHOOL DAMN YOU!"

"Keep Silent , and then you will be safe ...you know what I mean"
"If you have to Punch someone , do it at the moment , and not a year later.....then it gets legal apparently."

"Don't let mom give you two or three sandwiches made completely of mayo before supper ."

"Don't let grandma give you cookies , even though she is the best cook you know."

"If you happen to be 300 lbs at the end of grade seven , you will be 178 lbs by the time you are finished High School."

" Ummmm , Don't play Sports with anyone from school , ever , and I mean it. Or Else it will ruin your life , and then you will have to be spending money on Therapy visits , Medication and the occasional hospitalization "

"When mom brings you home Harry Potter , but it away and pick up one of the Three Copies that dad has of "Eye of the World" and start reading them or else you are going to have to read the series when you are just getting out of high school ."

"Don't talk to your Parents when you are a teenager , go to your room , do your homework , and then go to bed .....reapeat until 18 ."

" Give Elmo more Snuggles."

RandomNPC
2010-02-03, 05:28 PM
outside of keep up with the martial arts and running, i'd tell me to always speak my mind. It's gotten me in troubble here and there, but only because people don't always like the truth from someone elses point of view.

Things like calling that drama queen out in highschool? she's only gonna be angry for a week, and she'll ditch everyone soon anyway, go ahead and tell the truth, I did, and here I am telling you it all turns out ok.

All will be well.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-03, 05:34 PM
<Assuming the start of year 7>

"Put effort in with everything. Martial arts, rugby, trumpet etc. You can do them all if unexpectedly well if you tried."
"All school work up until uni is so easy it's laughable. Put some effort in. Not caring is not cool, it's sad."
"You will do something very silly in Year 8. DO NOT DO IT!!! You will be exiled and laughed at by everyone until the day you leave home."
"Start saving now. Keep your dinner money even, you can do without lunch, and you'll have a fair bit by the end of the year."
"Report that ******* in Stratford, she doesn't deserve it."

(Yeah, i I could talk to younger me I would change my entie life. Losing one wonderful thing to fix all the bad stuff is a price I'd gladly pay.)

V for Victory
2010-02-03, 05:36 PM
"Lie. Constantly, then none can touch you. Also remember as much as you can"

OverdrivePrime
2010-02-03, 05:46 PM
A few words of advice, and if you don't heed them, I'll come back and burn all your books and trash your Mac.

Don't date redheads. They make you do stupid things.
Don't date anyone too seriously in college - wait for Patty to come along. You'll meet her in Iowa. Stick with her - she's the one!
Turn off the computer at midnight and don't turn it on again until 6 AM. Humans are supposed to sleep at night.
Transferring to a different school is not failure. Failing all your classes because you're too depressed or drunk to show up is failure.
If you don't absolutely love your job, change it.
*Smack!* That's for being a dumbass.
I challenge you to become either a teacher or a research scientist. Don't pursue design or architecture, and man oh man are you ever going to regret it if you get a corporate desk job as a programmer. That's not you. Don't feel like you have to do it.

dogmac
2010-02-03, 05:57 PM
I would say "You can actually tell Mum, she won't freak"

Dihan
2010-02-03, 06:08 PM
"Don't be so insecure!" Preceded by a slap of course.

Hell Puppi
2010-02-03, 06:29 PM
"Screw the haters, you're awesome and don't let anyone get to you. You're worthy of attention, respect and love. Some people will question that. My advice is to say what you think and if people don't like it, screw 'em, you'll eventually attract the right kind of people who like you for who you are. Don't baby people, don't try and make everything all right all the time...and when you finally realize these things don't do what I did and try too hard to prove that you can take care of yourself. Be happy."

...yup. Maybe something about the stock market, too, but really I think I just would need to kick my self-esteem up a notch. I really needed it. :smalltongue:

bluewind95
2010-02-03, 06:51 PM
"Don't EVER make friends on the internet. They'll make you more miserable than you already are. And you won't be able to leave them be because they'll make you feel guilty about it. Stick to yourself. And the few friends you'll eventually make. No friends is better than bad friends. Don't let others convince you otherwise. Because you DO know better than them in this aspect. You ARE right in that avoiding people is the best bet. There's a few that will be worth approaching. You'll know."

Force
2010-02-03, 07:11 PM
"Taking that moderatorship was a decent idea, but as soon as the ship starts sinking jump off and never look back; most of the people you knew then you won't know in a year, and the few that you did are recognizable enough-- and close enough-- you can keep them. Also, friendships should stay friendships, and that particular curiosity you had? Drop it. Plus, your parents *aren't* out to get you, and kicking/screaming/yelling at them won't do crap."

golentan
2010-02-03, 07:12 PM
"When it flashes ultraviolet, break out the 32's and aim for the starboard bulkheads. Don't be afraid to take the shot when you see it, she trusts you."

Perenelle
2010-02-03, 07:15 PM
"9th grade all district band auditions, dont expect to make it. you wont. you can practice as hard as you can but you wont make it, dont bother worrying yourself sick over it just to be disappointed. practice harder in 10th grade."

"Stay away from that tall kid with the glasses in your band class, you'll hate him in the future, so just stay away and dont talk to him. avoid eye contact too for that matter, and if he tries to sit with you at lunch say the seat is taken or just stand up and break his nose or something, he deserves it."

"dont eat the vegetable soup. just dont."

"dont put too much faith in hoping you'll get transferred to a different high school. join the marching band earlier"

"watch winnie the pooh more often. dont ask questions, just do it."

"in 6th grade when you join band, pick flute. not trumpet. No matter how good at the clarinet you think you are pick the flute, or you'll regret it."

"by the time your in high school you'll realize how your life is 3/4th band stuff. by 10th grade you will have sold your soul to the marching band."

and finally,
"jumping off trees may not be a very good idea"
:smalltongue:

CurlyKitGirl
2010-02-03, 07:31 PM
Assuming it's five or six years old:

"Throw the doll away. Now."
"Trust me, in December, tell Mum to get Bigger Little Brother to the hospital immediately, he'll be better faster."
"When you're bigger Mum'll start telling posionous tales about a family member, they're not true."
"Tell Mum that Littlest Brother is autistic and if we can get it sorted now we'll save a lot of angst and sadness later on. And [Names of both Primary School Headmasters] are morons. Get Littlest Brother out soon."
"Make Mum make Uncle [Name] go get that lottery ticket in December just after Little Sister is born. It'll get us £12 million."

Assuming it's older than that:
"Demi-Koorly; don't change a thing. Don't get complacent, but be as you've always been, do what feels right and aim for the stars because you'll get there if you work hard enough. Always enjoy life, love every bit of it, and regret nothing because you'll end up where you want to be, with so many friends all over the world that you'll be entirely happy.
Oh, and maybe a bit more exercise, but that's not completely important."
Probbaly followed by some stock market stuff. Or something that'll financially benefit me later on.
And perhaps tell her to start exploring history and books a lot more.

Sila Prirode
2010-02-03, 08:09 PM
I started reading this thread, and realized, I would have nothing to tell to my younger me. Aside from screwing things over with my ex (whom I'm still deeply connected), everything I have done I would do the same.
Because even this failure with girlfriend (which I consider my only mistake in this past 20 years) taught me a lot, and altough I am sad and lonely now, for the past year and a half, I have improved much.
So, at this point of my life (20 years, and 5 month and 4 and a half hours) I would say to my younger self:
"You go boy, you're awesome!" :smallbiggrin:

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-03, 08:19 PM
"Don't waste your money on buying Nintendo games, or a Sega Saturn. Don't get upset when your dad's stomach makes him keep you from collecting the Mega Drive that you rightfully won. Practically all of these systems will be available on your PC in the future. Put all that money into X, Y, and Z stocks."

"Go to location A, befriend B, maybe try to steer her towards a better path."

I'd pass me an edited lottery record, with the winning numbers being very small, negligible values(ie, not the top prizes), so that life would be a little more comfortable, but without the "OMG INSTANT RICHES" that would make it so easy to get spoiled.

Slayn82
2010-02-03, 08:48 PM
Never become a boy scout. Its the start of all your timesinks.

Never listen to those psichologists that say you are too angry, and too obsessed with organization and good grades, until you end your university. Beats spending years depressed.

Spend more time with both of your grandmothers.

Yeah, get those dates with your neighbors, dont worry thinking if you are good enought for them, because they will end with guys that simply dont care about them in the future. And if you lose your time this way, you will have at last a lot more of self respect. And they will too, so win/win.

moxproxy
2010-02-03, 10:58 PM
"If whatever they tell you makes you feel bad about yourself, they're lying!

Start working out, and don't stop just because it hurts sometimes, but watch your knees.

Start singing and composing, and never quit! Study music and acting, and you'll be set for life. You're a natural.

Tell your mom to leave the a**hole! Don't give up until she listens.

And when the moment comes (you'll know), just kiss the girl."

Tanaric
2010-02-03, 11:06 PM
"People will lie to you sometimes, often about important things. It will hurt when you find out, but you'll get through it."

And, for further down the road: "Don't be so obsessed with being right that you lose sight of what is most important to you."

CoffeeIncluded
2010-02-03, 11:16 PM
Just four big things, really.

1. "Don't trust Diana. I don't care how nice she seems, or how great it feels to finally have a friend, trust me on this one, don't trust her. She will stab you in the back."

2. "Don't forget who you are. You're CoffeeIncluded, with everything that comes with it.. (Replacing my real name) Never forget that."

3. "Study more and work harder. Your brains are your greatest asset. Oh, and don't take physics in your junior year. Just don't. It's not worth it."

4. "Learn to think on your feet. Learn when to make snap decisions and when to think it through. Practice what you preach. You're doing well now, but do it 100% of the time. Nobody likes a hypocrite and CoffeeIncluded is not a hypocrite."

Tarnag40k
2010-02-03, 11:20 PM
1. I don't care if they are a criminal, do not hold onto that truck door to stop them.

2. Your car is not a rally car, do not try making runs in a blizzard, snow banks do not taste good.

3. If you're going to get arrested, make sure it's in your own state and for something that makes a good story. Urban-skiing doesn't count.

4. Don't trust her, she's the real life equivalent of a succubus.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-03, 11:25 PM
"Buy stock in Apple, Microsoft and Google!"

Hey that's not a bad idea.

Me, I'd give myself a copy of Watchmen and tell myself to read it and love. Then I'd tell him to read the LOTR trilogy and also read it and love it.

Kneenibble
2010-02-03, 11:28 PM
To Child Self: don't be ashamed of being a nerd. Don't take until your 20s to become proud of it.

To Teenage Self: ...oh lord, I'd totally do him. HE NEEDED IT BAD.

@v No no no, my current self said that to both past selves respectively.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-03, 11:30 PM
To Child Self: don't be ashamed of being a nerd. Don't take until your 20s to become proud of it.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? Did your child-self say what I think he said you your current-self?

ForzaFiori
2010-02-03, 11:30 PM
-Take mom up on her offer to enroll you at Pendleton in 6th grade. Liberty is a bad place.
-When you get there, find two kids name [best friend] and [other best friend] and start hanging with them.
-Screw football, join cross and soccer in 7th grade, and don't skimp on your summer work outs, you'll break your leg and gain alot of weight.
-Actually study and care about school, normal classes are even worse than honors, and the teachers (for the most part) suck.
-When you meet [former girlfriend] treat her amazingly, you don't wanna loose her. Stop fighting so much.
-Ditch [former best friend]. He'll stab you in the back again, and get arrested. Not good
-Don't ever dip. The high may be interesting, but its expensive.
-Don't be afraid to be yourself for once. There actually are people that like you that way.

There are a couple others, but they are about subjects that aren't good for the board (religion and such) and so cannot be put down.

kpenguin
2010-02-03, 11:32 PM
"In X amount of years, you're going to have the opportunity to go back in time and talk to your past self. Prepare something for that, because I sure as hell didn't."

Dr.Epic
2010-02-03, 11:34 PM
"In X amount of years, you're going to have the opportunity to go back in time and talk to your past self. Prepare something for that, because I sure as hell didn't."

That's kind of like wishing you knew what to wish for.

Fostire
2010-02-03, 11:44 PM
To be fair, I wouldn't say anything to myself other than: You are awesome, stay the way you are and you'll just become even more awesome.

I believe that everything that has happened to me has shaped me to become who I am now, and I love who I am now. Anything that I say to my younger self that would change any of the events of my life would not be worth it. Even the stupidest thing I've done, I wouldn't change, it led to one of the best things to ever happen to me.

But because I am bored here's what I think the encounter would be like (spoilered for length):

February 3rd, year 2000:

Child Fostire (CF) is walking around the park or whatever the hess I did when I was a child, when suddenly *BAMF* Adult Fostire (AF) appears before him in an explosion of pure awesome (it's a side effect of time travel). Small animals around him die from an overdose of awesome, but CF being who he is can take it just fine.

AF takes off his futuristic-looking glasses (necessary for time travel) and proclaims: "I bring a message FROM THE FUTURE!" (not necessary for time travel but awesome to do)

CF: The future?! Do you need my help to fight time-criminals?
AF: Yes! but not right now. I have a different message right now: I am you, 10 YEARS FROM NOW!
CF: Why are you yelling? and if you're me, why are you speaking in English?
AF: uh... just roll with it kid. Look here's the thing, you're pretty awesome right now, and you'll be pretty awesome 10 years from now, but in a couple of years you'll be a teenager, and let me tell you something: It sucks!
CF: ...
AF: ...
CF: Is that all?
AF: Don't interrupt me
CF: but you went quiet for like a minute th...
AF: Shut up! Now listen what I have to say and you can probably make the next three years not suck.
CF: Wait! That's it, just three years of suck, and then I become you?
AF: Ha! you wish. I mean, yes there will only be three years of suck, but it'll take you a while after that to become me.
CF: oh. ok.
AF: FIRST! that girl you are gonna have a crush on, forget about her the second you see her. You'll never get anywhere with her, and quite frankly I'm glad of that, cause she's dumb as a brick.
Second, let your hair grow out a bit, and don't comb it like that, you look like crap.
Third, smile. When meeting a new person, smile. When talking to those annoying relatives, smile. When that cute girl is looking your way, smile. When things are looking bad, smile. When you have nothing to say, smile. Do it all the time. When you smile, people treat you better, and that makes all social interactions easier.
Take chances. I'm not going to tell you to stop thinking before you act, but don't overthink it. If you spend to much time thinking but not acting, you'll end up missing a lot of opportunities.
Spend more time with your maternal grandfather. He's a lot more awesome than he looks like and he won't always be there.
Another thing, once you move to Montevideo...
CF: :smalleek: I'M MOVING?
AF: :smallconfused: you didn't know that yet?
CF: NO!
AF: oh... well... now you do. That's the main reason the next years are gonna suck, you don't take to well to moving.
CF: :smallfrown:
AF: Don't look like that, it'll be worth it in the end, I promise.
CF: But I like it here.
AF: Well, there's nothing you can do about it anyway so shush. As I was saying, once you move there make sure you pick up sailing lessons again.
Soccer sucks, I know, but pretend you care a bit and you won't be the weird kid. And speaking of which, pick up some sport, you need to stay in shape.
CF: :smallannoyed: what? am I gonna be fat too?
AF: Not really. You'll be a bit chubby right before that summer when you'll grow like a foot per week, but other than that you'll be as thin as me.
CF: so why do I need to pick a sport.
AF: so that you are in enough shape to run more than a block without running out of breath, and so that you have enough strength to not embarrass yourself when moving heavy objects.
CF: oh.
AF: yeah. And speaking of running out of breath, that bronchitis is caused by your allergies.
CF: I have allergies?
AF: Yes, now stop interrupting. Once you start taking allergy medication you'll be able to feel the wonders of being able to breath through your nose.
Let's see, what else is there?... oh yeah, help around the house more, take out the thrash, do the dishes, that kind of stuff, don't wait until you are told to do so. Even though she looks just fine now, your mother has a pretty fragile constitution and doing so much work around the house is not good for her in the long run.
Study for your classes. I know it sounds like a major pain in the ass but don't worry, I know you, and you seriously study you can get a good grade in all your classes with very little effort. The trick is to not see study as a bother but try to see it as something you actually want to do.
CF: do I look like a nerd to you?
AF: :smallamused: if only you knew what you'll become.
Another thing: stay in horneros all three years, I hear the last year is the best.
And I think that's everything for those first three years. Just do as I say and you'll be fine.

For the years following that, I'll just say this: don't go into agronomy, you'll hate it, and don't ignore [name] just because of [reason], that is a seriously stupid reason and you'll come to regret it a lot later.

Now before I go to 2005 to slap myself for being a big idiot I'll tell you this: ALWAYS trust the first flip of the coin. You'll know what I mean later on.

Have fun kid :smallwink:

And with another *BAMF* Adult Fostire disappears into the time stream to live his life full of adventure, romance, and mystery as a Time-traveling space treasure hunter.

True story
Epilogue:
Sometime in June, 2005

Teenage fostire is walking on the streets, pondering about recent events when suddenly...

*BAMF*

TF: :smalleek: What th..

*SLAP*

AF: DON'T BE STUPID!!!

*BAMF*

Kjata
2010-02-04, 01:56 AM
"Don't ever talk to [girl i liked a long time ago]. She will get you arrested and give you issues with girls for several years. And be the cause of several instances of rage."

Solaris
2010-02-04, 02:03 AM
Hmm. Good point. Another one, then:
"Kill George Lucas before he makes the Prequel Trilogy. Just trust me on this one."

Not to mention "It would behoove you to not actively shirk a social life during middle school and high school. You'll pay for it later, and literally living your job isn't as much fun as it sounds - even if your job does involve playing with high explosives."
... 'Cept I'd lose younger me's attention completely when I mention the boomshines, and the whole point would be lost.

PhoeKun
2010-02-04, 02:13 AM
There are two things I would like to be able to tell a younger me:

"The things you have inside of you. Let them out. Tell mom and dad. Don't hold it in until it all bursts out in a panicked phone call."

and,

"You can't hurt other people by not trying your hardest."

In reality, though, I know I would be too afraid to say anything at all.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-02-04, 02:39 AM
I'd go back to the start of year ten. Slap some sense into that emo ****er first off, man up the music he's listening too and tell him not to do something very stupid. As well as advising him to get out of private schools at the first opportunity and go to Hawker College, taking maths methods on line 7.

Specific? Maybe a little >.>

reorith
2010-02-04, 02:57 AM
am i really the only one that would turn this improbable chance at self improvement into a halfassed troll attempt?

rakkoon
2010-02-04, 03:47 AM
Yep.

Dunno really. If I change stuff, I'll do different things and my life would turn out differently. It might be better but I'm quite happy with how it is.
The mistakes did make me the man I am today, neurosis and all :smallsmile:

potatocubed
2010-02-04, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I'm with rakkoon. There are a lot of things I could have done differently in my life (got into Oxford, not flubbed my A-levels, various relationship things) but if I didn't do all those things I wouldn't be who I am now, and I quite like who I am now. About the best advice I could give to my teenage self is "Hang in there: life is **** now but it will get better."

I mean, I hung in there anyway, but it would have been nice to know at the time that my tenacity would be rewarded.

Dirk Kris
2010-02-04, 07:11 AM
For simplicity's sake, let's just say I would give myself a list of people to avoid and a list of people to bring into my life as soon as possible.

Quincunx
2010-02-04, 07:41 AM
The two-part tar baby list (people to avoid who'll drag you down, and people to avoid that you will drag down if you don't) would be nice to pass on, and also the list of minor lottery wins, but really, if we're going back any significant amount of time there'll just be that stony little argument; the permutations don't matter.

Thufir
2010-02-04, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't.

And perhaps tell her to start exploring history and books a lot more.

Excuse me while I burst out laughing for a while.
I mean, I guess it's hard to have too much reading in your life, but... seriously? You need more?

Mmm, selfcest...

Keshay
2010-02-04, 10:01 AM
First and foremost: "Tell, beg and harass Dad to get his Liver checked out ever year, if not more frequently. In the meantime, tell him to stop drinking (what little he did), be healthier and less stressed out. That way he might not die at 53."

Invest heavily in Apple and Microsoft, after awhile this thing called Google will come along, you won't care...

Under no circumstances allow Mom and Dad to move to Plainfield, NJ. From fifteen years afterward, its a morass of problems and blight.

Under no circumstance allow Mom to re-open communications with her brother, the man might have problems beyond his control, but he's still a monster.

Have a fracking plan for after High School ffs... And whatever you do, do not attend a State School in the Northwest corner of <state>, the peopel there will mess you up worse than you can imagine.

Do not ever start collecting comic books, they're a waste of money and hard to move. (Use the money to buy stock in Apple).

Never drink alcohol, no not even wine at dinner or as a toast, you can not handle it.

Go to x location on/around y date. Talk to and befriend z person. Express interest in D&D. You'll almost certainly never see z again, but you will meet the best friends anyone can ever ask for (even 20+ years later).

Almost forgot: Try some way to notify anyone and everyone who'll listen about 9/11, that way your godfather won't die in the towers.

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-04, 10:24 AM
All this talk of injury reminds me:

"That Family Day at the beach, when your dad tells you to change into shorts, either don't listen to him, or DON'T run and then stop right before the escalator. Your younger brother will not be able to stop in time, and you will have horrible keloids on your knees. Speaking of keloids, when they give you that totally unnecessary back-up jab on your left arm, don't scratch at it. In fact, beg your mum to give you a strip of cloth to wrap around it every day until it completely heals. Otherwise, you'll have pain like unto a broken arm whenever it rains. Speaking of broken arms, be at location X in year Y, so that you can go back in time. This time, go back to location A in year B, so that you can save the 5 year old us from breaking his arm. And whatever you do, don't hit on our mum(even though she should be too short for our tastes by then)."

Reinboom
2010-02-04, 11:06 AM
I think about this a lot, especially in the context of what my future self would tell my current self. I have been performing this mental exercise since I was 11, at the very least (I specifically recall one such example, however, they are not board appropriate/within the board rules to declare what).

However, specifically, to answer this:

Yeah, I think it's more useful to imagine what the person who you'll be ten years from now would want to say to you now.

What I tend to think about when I think in these terms is the following:
Future Me: "Hey me, I invented time travel!"
Present Me: "Woooo! We're rich! Why haven't you gone back and altered our genetic code and implanted your mind into the newly developing child though? Preferably after 1 year? Totally what I'd do."

I've had this mindset for a very long time. That if I was greeted by my future self I could just relax, because... well... hell yeah! I invented time travel! In the future!

If I was only able to give sage advice, however, that sort of resounded in my younger self's mind without somehow triggering those thoughts?
I would be afraid of altering my life's dance too much with it. I think the best, on the moment, advice I could give is:
"When greeted with a questioning of yourself, do not let panic take hold and definitely do not lie. Instead, let others help you fix it, change it. If, or when, you lie... you will cause pain. And you will regret this pain you have caused for a very long time."

But yeah, totally wouldn't happen. Wooo! I invented time travel, bees' waxes!

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-04, 11:18 AM
What future me would say to present me:

"Yeeeah, you really should have gone back and talked to secondary school me when you had the chance. Only advice I can give now is change your name before Google take over and pray they never find you."

Lorn
2010-02-04, 11:25 AM
Depends how far back...

- Taking medicine etc is NOT a sign of weakness. Especially if you're thinking along the lines of "I am not going to survive until the next day if this keeps up." (Prior to Winter 2008.)

- This is how you swing an axe - with your whole arm. Don't try a wrist-flick. You'll only bugger your elbow. (Prior to 2009.)

- Pad the right hand re-enactment glove - it'll stop you accidentally fracturing thumbs, bruising nailbeds and so on. Also, a lang to the knuckles HURTS. (Prior to 2009.)

- Don't wait until the Sunday of the Lights festival, if she said that the Thursday would work then go for the Thursday. (Prior to September last year.) Also, don't get hung up on one person - there may very well be someone else interested...

- Don't drink in the Market Tavern when dressed in strange garb... the square outside has no security and is full of drunk chavs looking for a fight. (Prior to October last year.)

Having said that, whether I'd actually impart this advice is another matter; most of it led to things that're pretty integral to how I am today. Bah.

Zanaril
2010-02-04, 02:07 PM
If we're talking about early childhood:
Don't ever believe that friends are loyal, and don't do things which could get you in trouble just because your friends are doing it. Be wary of the voices.

If it's early teens:
The teachers don't know what's best for you. Please punch that PE teacher in the face, you know who I mean; you're not just faking the illness and she's a bitch who deserves it. And try not to creep him out too much; the creepy stalking while you had a crush on him probably slowed down the later development of your friendship. Also, don't listen to your mother if she goes on about your weight problem, it'll get better on it's own.

And if I ever find out a definite, curable reason for why I get dizzy every time I stand up, I'd impart that information too.

Zen Monkey
2010-02-04, 02:39 PM
Take care of yourself, eat right and exercise, it will help a lot. Video games might be fun now, but when you're my age you'll be working out as much as you can and getting more out of it than any game.

Be a good student, that will help with survival later on, and don't hide your intelligence. The 'cool' people aren't smart, and the smart people aren't 'cool,' but that will change.

See those first two things? Stop chasing girls so much, because when they're women they'll be more interested in those things instead of what impresses them now.

People that you care about the most will pass unexpectedly, appreciate the ones you care about now so that there aren't regrets later.

Be a good person to others, and give your best effort at whatever you try. Regret is a hard thing to live with, and this will prevent most of it.

Telonius
2010-02-04, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't tell him anything. I wouldn't want to change anything, and it's not like he ever listened to me anyway. :smallbiggrin:

AtomicKitKat
2010-02-04, 09:00 PM
Ooh, just remembered one more.

"When you're 10, don't fall asleep on the bus home with your mum. That wasp sting will put you out of school for 5 days. Matter of fact, buck up a little during Primary 4, so you won't wind up in that class in Primary 5 with that horrible form teacher who hates you and smokes in the toilet(hypocrite)."

Serpentine
2010-02-04, 09:11 PM
In order of necessary earliness (youngest to oldest):
Tell Gramma you're big enough to handle her hugs. Soon. By the time you realise she'll no longer crush your ribs, she won't be able to.
Be nicer to Adam. Even after you break up with him, make sure you keep being his friend.
Hug the hell out of Amy, cuz you'll miss her.
For the love of God and all that's holy, do not keep living with your ex!

Moff Chumley
2010-02-04, 09:36 PM
Present Day Chumley: [appears in puff of smoke]
Chumley at the start of Year 7: ...?
Current Chumley: So... the past.
Past Chumley: Who the hell are you and why are you in my room?
CC: I'm you, from early 2010. Listen to me very carefully.
PC: No, really, who are you?
CC: Your life sucks and you know it. You following me?
PC: ...
CC: At the start of the next semester, you're going to want to leave school. DON'T DO IT!
PC: What?
CC: It's a tarp!
PC: You mean a trap?
CC: No, a tarp. Anyhow, stay at your present school, no matter how much it sucks. You'll never meet [small handful of friends] but you'll stay in touch with [large group of friends]. Hang out with [coupla chicks I really liked] as much as possible, they actually do like you.
PC: You sure?
CC: Yah, or else [chick] will start dating [guy]. And that would be bad. DO EET. Anyhow, when you start taking piano lessons in the winter, find a better teacher than your brother's.
PC: Nate? He's a cool guy...
CC: No, he sucks. I recommend [teacher] in [place]. Also, don't blow your money on the Xio, save up for something decent.
PC: I have no idea what you just said.
CC: You will. Also, the MC303 you're going to buy SUCKS. Get a 707.
PC: What?...
CC: Also, don't go to MSA. Again, you won't meet [friend], but you'll meet [buncha other guys]. Go to TL instead.
PC: TL sucks...
CC: Just do it. You'll regret it if you don't. Also, be more open-minded, you little prick. [smack]
PC: OWW!
CC: Everyone hates you because you're a little snarky bastard. Talk to more people, and be less of a jerk. [moar smacking]
PC: STOP THAT!
CC: Well, I gotta go...
PC: GET BACK HERE YOU BASTARD...
CC: Mwahahha...

Weiser_Cain
2010-02-05, 03:46 AM
Stop comparing yourself to the best and keep drawing. Also, you're right your teachers are idiots.

Alleine
2010-02-05, 04:31 AM
**** this s***. Have knife in the ribs, sucker.
It can always get worse. ALWAYS. No one said you had to care though, s'aright?

Oh, and just friggin go for it with (totally awesome girl). You'll probably end up with some regrets, but they'll be better than the regrets I got.

Quorothorn
2010-02-06, 11:53 PM
I presume in this scenario you can change how things turned out, or at least set off a new timeline or somesuch?

In that case, first thing would be: "Apply yourself to learning foreign languages now."

Really, though, the main thing I'd do is conduct a full-scale interview on my younger self.

Pika...
2010-02-07, 12:34 AM
"OK me. I will make this quick and simple due to time contraints and the risk of destroying time and space itself.

1. Don't let others pick on you. Defend yourself to the teeth when you are just and in the right, even if it means a few lost teeth. However, trickery and always being conveniently in front of a security or school camera when someone picks a fight with you when you never swing back worked/will work wonders for you. Basically, those who rely on their muscles and intimidation are idiots, so out-think them.

2. Life every day like it is your last. Regret nothing, and make MANY more friends. Also, don't be such a well behaved child and later teen. Do all this, or you will live life regretting a lost youth.

3. Life sucks. She is a cruel *female dog word here*, and eventually her FWB Death will come by and take you. The sooner you deal with that the better and happier off you will be. Just don't let this turn you into a bitter grump. Instead take it as a way to be free of restraints and fears to better be able to do #1-2.

4. Yes, girls will always think of you as the creepy guy who sits in the corner...

5. No, Santa, the Easter Bunny, and anything else which does not have tangible measurable proof is not real.

6. No, I do not know how I got back to the past. All I know is to invest in Apple in a few years. So see ya!

Fay Graydon
2010-02-07, 02:13 AM
"Seriously Fayte do better in school. Trust me on this or You'll be there for many many many more years.
Dont bother with relationships. When i say theres only heartache and depression I mean it.
Ignore your brother, i know you wanna kick the living daylights out of him, but for your mums sanity dont.
also, Its called <Medical Condition I Have> its why you hate yourself and dont know why. Try to get it sorted out sooner rather then later.
Oh and DONT waste 80 bloody pounds on that Micro Scooter! 1) it brakes after 4 months and 2) in 3 weeks they will be about £30!

and you may as well go straight onto a Masseur course... i mean thats about the only skill you have >.>"

Anuan
2010-02-07, 02:50 AM
Don't. Talk. To. Those. Girls. From. Sydney. For. Smeg's. Sake. Agh.

Study your martial arts and weaponry more. Seriously. You love it even more in the future, and even though I'm good, we could be better. Two words; Wing Chun. Study it, start applying its concepts to your training early. It goes well with the Dragon and Jiujitsu you're already obsessing with.

Practice writing more. You try to get published in a few years.

Calming down is important. You become a much more easy-going person. Try not to become the pushover I am, though.
Start working out. Don't stop. You stop when you move into your girlfriend's hous-yes, you get a girlfriend. It's true, you're not the terrible and ugly person everyone tells you you are. Anyway, you stop working out when you move into her house, and you get fat, and then it's hard to get it off. So keep working out.

Get a job. Save money for the following two things; your trip to America, and swords. Lots of swords. When you learn more about their composition and what makes a good sword (hint; carbon steel is a good thing. 1045 to 1060 is the best you can really find.) You'll go to America when you're eighteen, just like you've been promising your online friends, but near the end of your eighteenth year, and a lot of the people you know now, you won't get to visit.

Oh, and kid. Grow a beard. Seriously. It works.

The Extinguisher
2010-02-07, 03:02 AM
"You know what. Sometimes life doesn't work out your way. Sometimes things aren't your fault and you get the blame. Sometimes you do something stupid, and think the world is over. It's not. The world doesn't end there. There's always something that comes after, and things get better. Enjoy life, and don't let the little things get you down. Think for the future, don't think for the present. Don't let your fear of people keep you from talking to them, and opening up to them. They aren't going to hurt you. That's important.

And for gods sake. Stay in touch with friends. Especially Tara. Long distance aren't that big of a deal in the future"

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-07, 03:12 AM
Don't be angry. They don't matter. They just don't. When you realize they don't, and you stop being angry, or you learn to turn off your anger, you'll realize you don't want to be with that crowd anyways. They'll drag you down. You'll be so much happier without them.
Insist to dad that you go to the local community college. Assure him you know what you're doing, and don't let him bully you into going to Arkansas, because it'll mess everything up.
When you have to clear off the cheesewall at Target with that guy that all of your coworkers think is attractive but you think is just meh, look at him again. He's a nerd. He likes Labyrinth (yeah, I know you don't know what that is yet, but you will. And it will change you. Infact, go watch it now), and he'll really like you.
But don't make it so entirely obvious that you like him, when you do.

Solaris
2010-02-07, 03:21 AM
It's interesting to note the similarities between everyone's regrets.

Weiser_Cain
2010-02-08, 10:37 PM
It's interesting to note the similarities between everyone's regrets.

I have other regrets that aren't suitable for this forum.

Kallisti
2010-02-08, 11:57 PM
"I'm you from the future, here to bitch-slap you for being a total brat. *SLAP* Be less of a brat! Gonna be less of a brat? Great. Trust me, it'll help your social life A LOT. Invest in Microsoft and Google. Especially Google. And never, ever take Hot Glass in high school. Waste of a period, you'll be terrible at it and utterly miserable. Take Engineering and Drafting or Computer and Graphic Design instead."

"...oh, and spend time with Aunt Carol while you can. And Grampa Chris. Just trust me, okay, I'm you. ...okay, that's not a very good reason to trust me. But trust me, I wouldn't screw me over."

Then I'd go find the young versions of pretty much everyone I knew back then and torment them, because most of the people I knew in elementary school were total bastards.

thorgrim29
2010-02-09, 12:21 AM
-Stay in shape, it's much harder to lose weight then to never gain it

-Don't stop working because it's easy, or else that maths class will almost be the end of you, plus college will be much harder then it could have been had you/I not lost every semblance of a work ethic.

-You may have a shot with x, but be prepared for some rocky times when her parents get divorced

-Invest everything in oil, then sell in may 2008 (didn't start to get money until the end of 2005, so google was pretty much topping earning% wise)

-In march 2009, invest a lot in garda, even tough it seems like a bad idea at the time, trust me

-If you're not with x when you meet y, she'll end up with one of your friends within a month, so move fast

-mixing then rebottling the liquor for a long island may sound like a good idea, but it's not

+ a list of websites I wish I'd never visited

Krade
2010-02-09, 12:52 AM
The first thing I'd do is see if that wierd scar on my left middle finger is there. I have no idea where it came from or when I got it.

"The pain in your belly isn't a 'tummy-ache.' Be more specific about describing it and you won't almost DIE."

*slaps* "Grow some ambition!"

"Don't run in the hall in the apartment on Talbott St. If you do, your little toe will be deformed forever."

"Don't waste your time (or money) with M:tG. It will get boring halfway through high school."

"Don't talk about violence in middle school. People won't understand and the resultant over reaction will be... annoying."

"And most importantly, when you have $10,000 and no responsibilities, do something cool. Sitting around and wasting your time for a year and a half is really stupid."

Edit: Thought of another one:
"Join the GitP forums ASAP! It will help you be happy."

Temotei
2010-02-09, 01:15 AM
Don't waste your time with that whole pizza shop aspiration of being like Dad.
Don't keep hitting that kid when he pushes [insert brother's name]. He'll nearly die.
Don't eat mozzarella cheese. Seriously.
Don't procrastinate.
Call Great Grandma Pratt on March 26th, 2009.
Call family.
Don't go crazy because of me...that would just be confusing.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-02-09, 01:16 AM
I would tell myself to suit up and start being awesome.

Winthur
2010-02-09, 02:32 AM
I would have sent a fax.

"Nicholas,

At 8 AM someone poisons the coffee.

Do NOT drink the coffee.

More instructions will follow.

Cordially,
Future Nicholas."

LemonSkye
2010-02-09, 03:10 AM
*First, you're right. She doesn't love you. It is not your fault, it's just the way she is and there's nothing either one of you can do about it. Don't listen to her when she's trying to demoralize you, and don't waste your time trying to make her happy. Get out of the house as soon as you can and never, ever look back.

*Be careful of who you trust, but don't stop trusting completely. Not everyone is trying to hurt you...but it doesn't mean that someone isn't just because you love them.

*There is something wrong with you. Get a good therapist as soon as possible.

*Just because someone's interested in you doesn't mean you owe them anything. Don't be so generous. Also, all of them are jerks; don't put up with their crap. Find someone who'll be nice to you.

*Stick to your principles, but try not to demonize anyone who doesn't believe what you do.

*Listen to your intuition. It is more powerful than you can imagine, and rarely will it lead you astray.

*You're on the wrong side of the ethical debate to go into Biochem and you don't have the right mindset to be an art student. Go into Web Design, and you won't regret it (or have to pay for your education completely out-of-pocket because you used up 150% of your degree credits pursuing the other two).

*There are people who love you, but you'll have to look for them.

Kaelaroth
2010-02-09, 01:59 PM
Following seeming English-folks' tradition here, to my year-seven self:
Get over the gay thing. It's not a big deal. Perhaps don't tell anyone, though, as it seems other people think it's a big deal.
The nasty bout of feeling dark and alone? The latter's 'cause you are. That's because at this stage in your life your friends mostly suck. Get some good ones.
Braces suck. You'll like the result, though.
Value your grandparents (well, your mother's parents). They become frail far faster than you could think.
Start eating. The skinny thing does not suit you, and won't in future, either.
GitP potentially ruins the timeline your life ought to follow. Go on it more sensibly.
Learn how to fight, either physically or verbally, from someone. It takes you frakin' ages to work out how to make someone cry merely by speaking in the regular timeline, and though the gift makes some scenarios difficult, it also helps with aforementioned feelings of suck.

There's more which I can't be bothered to write down. Whooppee!

Jibar
2010-02-09, 02:07 PM
'Never regret her, no matter how bad you feel. She will be the best thing to happen to you.'

Alternatively:

'Let's play Jet Force Gemini!'

IsaacTheHungry
2010-02-09, 02:46 PM
I would send the message "Woof" and the odd thing is i might know what it means. (and no it is not get a dog)

Or i would tell myself keep you bike's brakes in better condition if you are planning to go down that steep hill/road. You current future as is, is to not have strong enough brakes and end up jumping a car; you clear it, the bike doesn't and stays behind

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-02-09, 05:17 PM
Nothing, because the actual me wouldn't change, just the young me in that reality...:smallannoyed: