PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] Thousand Correct Actions of the Upright Soldier

The Demented One
2010-02-03, 04:48 PM
Wow. The Dragon-Blooded are suddenly absolute monsters when it comes to war. Awesome perfect defenses! Army-training charms! Artillery-fu charms! And a revised base charmset that actually works! This book (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=78520) is freakin' great!

Brother Oni
2010-02-03, 05:15 PM
Oh it's a military manual.

You don't want to know what flashed through my mind when I first saw the topic...

The Demented One
2010-02-03, 05:17 PM
Oh it's a military manual.

You don't want to know what flashed through my mind when I first saw the topic...
Yeah, you're gonna want to look at the Scroll of Swallowed Darkness, then.

Brother Oni
2010-02-03, 05:25 PM
Gah it's the Thrashing Dragons Dharma all over again...

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-03, 05:30 PM
Haven't had a chance to look at it yet... does the book have any use in a Solar game, though?

The Demented One
2010-02-03, 05:44 PM
Haven't had a chance to look at it yet... does the book have any use in a Solar game, though?
While it's a Dragon-Blooded charm book, a few charms are noted as having Solar versions. These include Invincible Ego Shield, which lets you use Integrity to dodge attacks by being an implacable badass; Shining General Puissance, which lets you command armies as a master tactician instead of a warlord; Flying Faith Legion, which is exactly and literally as awesome as it sounds; and Fleet-Outrunning Flagship, which any Solar sea-captain should appreciate.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-04, 07:21 PM
I take anything that improves Dragon-blooded with a grain of salt.

Just you wait, soon, they will have access to Solar Circle Sorcery and the Blossom of the Perfected Lotus at the same time. While breathing in space.

Weezer
2010-02-04, 07:31 PM
Don't really have anything to add to the thread, never actually played exalted, but I'd just like to say how much I love the names of charms. They just make everything sound so insanely...epic.

Overshee
2010-02-04, 07:36 PM
Don't really have anything to add to the thread, never actually played exalted, but I'd just like to say how much I love the names of charms. They just make everything sound so insanely...epic.

In theory the game is pretty ****ing epic, sometimes it gets bogged down though. I wish it was a tad more rules light...

TheCountAlucard
2010-02-04, 11:10 PM
I like the charm names, too.

For example, Solar Hero Style (a supernatural martial art) has charm names like Fists of Iron Technique, Sledgehammer Fist Punch, Dragon Coil Technique, Solar Hero Form, Inevitable Victory Meditation, Heaven Thunder Hammer, Horizon-Hurling Technique, Crashing Wave Throw, Ox-Stunning Blow, Hammer on Iron Technique... Solar Hero Style: the fun never stops. :smallbiggrin:

Overshee
2010-02-04, 11:12 PM
Heavenly Guardian Defense! Come on!

The Demented One
2010-02-04, 11:17 PM
In theory the game is pretty ****ing epic, sometimes it gets bogged down though. I wish it was a tad more rules light...
Eh, the crunchiness is what makes it fun.

Overshee
2010-02-04, 11:28 PM
Eh, the crunchiness is what makes it fun.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Exalted and it will always have a special place in my heart because it was my first RPG. It's an awesome game, but like all Storyteller games, it has its problems.

Lapak
2010-02-04, 11:36 PM
Wow. The Dragon-Blooded are suddenly absolute monsters when it comes to war. Awesome perfect defenses! Army-training charms! Artillery-fu charms! And a revised base charmset that actually works! This book (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=78520) is freakin' great!While the rest of what you mentioned sounds perfectly in line with Dragon-Blooded, I thought Perfects were mainly supposed to be the domain of the Celestial Exalted. I mean, if they get awesome group tactics AND individual awesomeness, what is left to make the Solars interesting?

Draxar
2010-02-04, 11:42 PM
My favourite charm name in the whole game is 'Introduction to the Stone Prince'. It's the kerb stomp charm; you make one of your hands or feet as hard as stone, then break someone's bones with it.

Regarding crunchiness... it can cause issues, but on the other hand, I like that it has epic powers and setting, and the rules to back it up. Not only do they cover exactly how the Unconquered Sun is Unconquered, they do so in a way that allows sufficiently powerful and clever players to conquer and defeat him. And explain how the sun and the moon actually work.

It's that attention to detail that makes Exalted a more fully realised world than many settings, and it sufficiently covers 'What will players actually do, why haven't the NPCs done it already?'.

The answer being, for much of the obvious stuff, they have – e.g. when you summon a demon, five days before you summon it, it leaves the city of Malfeas, and starts walking accross the deserts of Ceclene. First age exalts did experiments with placing observers in Malfeas watching certain demons, and then possibly summoning them, possibly not, and communicating if the demon left. And from investigating this further, they apparently learned things about how essence worked.

(appologies for the random fanboying)

While the rest of what you mentioned sounds perfectly in line with Dragon-Blooded, I thought Perfects were mainly supposed to be the domain of the Celestial Exalted. I mean, if they get awesome group tactics AND individual awesomeness, what is left to make the Solars interesting?

Unless there's another one I've missed, their added perfect revolves around groups working together. And they already had a pair of perfects, just rather more limited ones than the Celestials get.

Aquillion
2010-02-04, 11:51 PM
I take anything that improves Dragon-blooded with a grain of salt.

Just you wait, soon, they will have access to Solar Circle Sorcery and the Blossom of the Perfected Lotus at the same time. While breathing in space.Speaking of the Blossom, did you read Scroll of Exalts? It has a sidebar on Dragon-Blooded attempting to access the Blossom of the Perfected Lotus, with guidelines on what happens to them.

(Hint: The title of the sidebar is "Boom!")

The Demented One
2010-02-05, 01:51 AM
Unless there's another one I've missed, their added perfect revolves around groups working together. And they already had a pair of perfects, just rather more limited ones than the Celestials get.
Indeed. They get an upgrade to Portentous Comet-Deflecting Mode that puts on par with Heavenly Guardian Defense if they've got a bunch of other Dragon-Bloods backing you up, and a perfect defense in War that lets you protect armies with a wall of fire or whatnot.

Speaking of the Blossom, did you read Scroll of Exalts? It has a sidebar on Dragon-Blooded attempting to access the Blossom of the Perfected Lotus, with guidelines on what happens to them.

(Hint: The title of the sidebar is "Boom!")
Woah! Did not know you had an account here.

Jerthanis
2010-02-05, 03:14 AM
What percentage of the book is written for Mass Combat? I've found Mass combat entirely unusable both with and without extensive houseruling and timesaving shortcuts, so I can't use anything that puts its crunch on top of the existing mass combat system.

TheOOB
2010-02-05, 05:22 AM
It's perfectally acceptable for Terrestials to have perfect defenses in group, group combat is what they are made for. They still are vastly inferior celestial in equal number, luckily for the DB's, there are tens of thousands of them, and only 700 celestials.

ZeroNumerous
2010-02-05, 08:02 AM
They still are vastly inferior celestial in equal number, luckily for the DB's, there are tens of thousands of them, and only 700 celestials.

Unluckily for the DB's: They still lost 50% of their number and countless millions of mortals killing a mere 250~ Solars. While the Solars were ambushed. And with the help of the Sidereals. If push had come to shove, DB's would have gotten crushed hardcore by all three hundred Solars in open ground.

Indon
2010-02-05, 08:10 AM
Unluckily for the DB's: They still lost 50% of their number and countless millions of mortals killing a mere 250~ Solars. While the Solars were ambushed. And with the help of the Sidereals. If push had come to shove, DB's would have gotten crushed hardcore by all three hundred Solars in open ground.

In their defense, they were millenia-old first-agers who had been growing successively more paranoid across those millenia.

Ironically, for good reason.

The Demented One
2010-02-05, 09:12 AM
What percentage of the book is written for Mass Combat? I've found Mass combat entirely unusable both with and without extensive houseruling and timesaving shortcuts, so I can't use anything that puts its crunch on top of the existing mass combat system.
It's half fluff, half crunch, and about all of that crunch is for mass combat.