PDA

View Full Version : (4e) Tiefling life expectancy?

Ozreth
2010-02-03, 05:13 PM
Trying to find out how long Tieflings live for. Any idea?

Siegel
2010-02-03, 05:21 PM
As the DM wants

I'd say like humans, maybe a bit longer but the still age normaly.

Artanis
2010-02-03, 05:23 PM
They're basically just tainted humans, so I would also assume a lifespan similar to humans'.

TheEmerged
2010-02-03, 06:20 PM
/conanvoice
"Depends on which side of my blade they are on!"
/conanvoice

The actual answer has already been covered: as long as the DM believes it's appopriate for his/her campaign. In my own, I hate the cliche of most races being longer lived than humans so most races live to ~70.

FoE
2010-02-03, 07:49 PM
They're basically just tainted humans, so I would also assume a lifespan similar to humans'.

I agree with Artanis.

Inyssius Tor
2010-02-03, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I would think something like humans'.

I might toy with the idea of murder increasing their lifespan, though. That seems like the sort of nice little "perk" Asmodeus would grant.

Touchy
2010-02-03, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I would think something like humans'.

I might toy with the idea of murder increasing their lifespan, though. That seems like the sort of nice little "perk" Asmodeus would grant.

Don't forget to make them younger by a set amount of years(5 or so?) until they hit their prime(20-30ish).

Tiki Snakes
2010-02-03, 08:35 PM
Well, given that Tieflings are explictely Humans 'Marked' as infernal, they should have biologically speaking the same potential lifespan. I'd say actual average would be a bit lower though, due to cultural things and slightly increased tendancy towards violent or risky lifestyles.

I like the idea of murder granting them certain boons, in one sense, because it's a nicely morbid little quirk. But generally, I wouldn't use it in my own games, because their state isn't really granted as a boon, rather they are pretty much cursed for trafficing with Devils disloyal to Asmodeus. They've been eternally scarred and marked out for what they did and agreed, so I can't really see them getting much in the way of additional perks.

Also, if nothing else, I can't really see Asmodeus looking particularly favourably on random, pointless violence. If it is of no direct benefit to him, then why would he encourage it? (Of course, there are possible reasons, but that's Asmodeus for you I suppose. Xanatos much?)

TheOOB
2010-02-03, 09:00 PM
Well the life expectancy of anyone who would claim to be an adventurer is less than 5 years after they start adventuring.

But yes, there is no reason they should have normal human lifespans, give or take a decade due to a smaller gene pool(which can be a good or a bad thing).

Kurald Galain
2010-02-04, 03:30 AM
They live for three or four weeks, then they're level 30 and removed from the campaign :smallbiggrin: