PDA

View Full Version : i know this may sound silly but...

gallagher
2010-02-03, 06:24 PM
does TWF stack with a monks flurry of blows?

for example, if i can flurry 3 times, would it allow me to on a full round action flurry at 6 hits?

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-02-03, 06:28 PM
Yes.

Would not recommend it.

Claudius Maximus
2010-02-03, 06:37 PM
You can use both, but they don't multiply or anything. So a 1st level monk can Flurry and use Two-Weapon fighting to get 3 attacks: two with unarmed strike/a special monk weapon, and an extra off-hand attack.

The penalties stack.

gallagher
2010-02-03, 06:40 PM
Yes.

Would not recommend it.

but with insightful strike, makes it less MAD. and i am considering this in a partial gestalt game that would allow me to gestalt as this combination. it fixes most things that are wrong with monks. makes Wisdom more central, gives full BAB, and gets good skill points. i would go with fighter for a few levels and gestalt with something else, but i want the skill points and i fighter is too high a tier

AstralFire
2010-02-03, 06:43 PM
We in the business call this the "Flurry of Misses." You hit for a pittance, marginally more often than you would have otherwise.

It's the D&D version of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZZ-1Ff-AI#t=3m45s).

Quietus
2010-02-03, 06:55 PM
We in the business call this the "Flurry of Misses." You hit for a pittance, marginally more often than you would have otherwise.

It's the D&D version of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZZ-1Ff-AI#t=3m45s).

So you're saying, monks are Fighting Anime characters?

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-03, 07:02 PM

Minus the usefulness.

So you're saying, monks are Fighting Anime characters?

That comes close to what they were based on (Bruce Lee films). By close, I mean 6 degrees of separation.

Boci
2010-02-03, 07:08 PM
for example, if i can flurry 3 times, would it allow me to on a full round action flurry at 6 hits?

If you can flurry 3 times? I assume you mean you BAB is high enough to grant you two attacks and you use FoB for a total of three? In that case with base and improved two weapon fighting you can use a full attack action to make 5 attacks, each attack taking a -4 penalty.

AstralFire
2010-02-03, 07:26 PM
Minus the usefulness.

Multiple attacks are never ever ever effective in DBZ unless you vastly overpower the opponent in level. A lot like D&D.

gallagher
2010-02-03, 07:33 PM
If you can flurry 3 times? I assume you mean you BAB is high enough to grant you two attacks and you use FoB for a total of three? In that case with base and improved two weapon fighting you can use a full attack action to make 5 attacks, each attack taking a -4 penalty.

if i do that gestalt build that i mentioned not so long ago, i would have a full BAB, and at level 8 i have an 8/3 BAB. insightful strike, with a 24 wisdom (18 at lvl 1, 2 bonus increases from level, +4 periapt of wisdom). that is a flurry of 14/14/9 because at a level previous to 8 it went down to -1 instead of -2. that is a flurry of 12/12/12/12/7. i base myself alot on flanking advantage, and we have a bard that bases himself on support. that gives me what, like a +4 to hit total? that with favored enemies, i am hitting plenty

absolmorph
2010-02-03, 07:43 PM
Or be have 11 Monk levels.
Which, coincidentally, also allows you to use FoB without any penalty.
+8/+8/+8/+3 is a decent attack routine. You get a -2 to all attacks using TWF and unarmed strikes.
+6/+6/+6/+6/+1 is still decent.
+6/+6/+6/+6/+1/+1 is also good (Imp. TWF, require 17 Dex and +6 BAB)
This is at level 11. You'll also probably have Str boosting items making you more likely to hit.
Assuming Str 20, this becomes +11/+11/+11/+11/+6/+6, which on average will hit an AC of 21.
EDIT: Full BAB makes this +16/+16/+16/+16/+11/+11/+6, each dealing 1d10 damage.
Insightful Strike (using 24 Wis) boosts it to, what, +23 on 4 hits?
Of course, there are three levels between that and what the OP wants.

Demons_eye
2010-02-03, 07:52 PM
Monk2/City Brawler Barbarian 2/Warblade 5/Blood Claw master 4

TWF with unarmed strike, Flurry, and snap kick for

+9/+9/+9/+4/-1 +9/+9/+9/+4/-1

And that is before Str, plus you get full Str to off hand attacks.

Mongoose87
2010-02-03, 07:53 PM
You might as well skip the insightful strike. You're going to need Dex to get the TWF feats, so you might as well Finesse 'em.