PDA

View Full Version : Unwilling mount

Levithix
2010-02-03, 09:38 PM
Through Various tomfoolery one of my fellow players has managed to start a game (starting at level five gestalt) with a warbeast dire bear animal companion.

I am playing a warforged crusader5//Rogue 2, barbarian 1, swordsage 1, warblade 1.

Are there any rules that might allow me to force his bear into being my mount?

This would probably have to be done before we level as he is taking arcane Hierophant next level and a sentiant bear would probably be harder to ride

(yes, I know duelys aren't normally allowed in gestalt, but he convinced the dm to allow it ...)

elonin
2010-02-03, 09:46 PM
Is the other player willing to let this happen? If not that would cause a number of problems like resentment (the companion being a class feature). If he's game his handle animal check and yours might be enough to make it work.

Levithix
2010-02-03, 09:56 PM
He would be fine if I found a legitimate way to do it as it would mostly be for laughs and I would only be able to ride it for one level.

Beorn080
2010-02-03, 10:00 PM
See, even when the bear becomes sentient, it could still work. I can see it now, a Warforged riding on the shoulders of a dire bear in full plate barding and a wand in each paw, blasting everything in range.

Scoot
2010-02-03, 10:07 PM
See, even when the bear becomes sentient, it could still work. I can see it now, a Warforged riding on the shoulders of a dire bear in full plate barding and a wand in each paw, blasting everything in range.

It would seem like sentience would make it easier, just pursuade the bear into being your mount.

I know you can train an animal for Combat Riding with Handle Animal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/handleAnimal.htm).

elonin
2010-02-03, 10:07 PM
If you are treating the bear well (feeding snacks, not charging the terrasque etc) this might be doable. This is reminding me of a movie I've watched recently.

AslanCross
2010-02-03, 10:58 PM
The DMG states that mounts have to be willing and able. If you're going to force it without using Handle Animal to improve its attitude towards you, it's probably going to throw you off and attack you. Not to say anything about the player getting pissed.

Darrin
2010-02-04, 11:17 PM
Controlling an uncooperative mount in battle requires a DC 20 Ride check.

Mounting a bear that doesn't want to be ridden... ok, Handle Animal... huh, uh, well... I guess you can "push"...

Sorry, man. My mind is going into all sorts of really eff'ed up places.

Levithix
2010-02-05, 12:46 AM
I would have figured that there were rules for breaking an animal somewhere ...

herrhauptmann
2010-02-05, 01:03 AM
I would have figured that there were rules for breaking an animal somewhere ...

I believe that's listed under the entries for training various animals.