PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Barbarian

Dr.Epic
2010-02-03, 11:49 PM
So before I get like 50 posts saying it's a bad idea hear me out. Firstly, I kind of like the concept: battle hardened warrior that can fit in an overhead compartment. Further more, I'm eventually going to go Bear Warrior with this so (a) the small damage won't be an issue and (b) can you imagine how hilarious it would be to see a small little halfling turn into a dire bear? Yeah druids can pretty much do the same thing but I'm set on barbarian. Less things to worry about like spells, more HP, better BAB, and other stuff. Yeah it may sound like a stupid idea I admit, but I'm set on barbarian.

So I'm just really looking for tips to get around some of the build problems. Yeah they're small but once I can transform into a bear that won't be a problem any more and I'm going to take extra and extended rage a few times so I can be a bear for as long as possible. There's also -2 strength which is kind of hurtful but (a) it's only -1 to damage and that won't really matter too much and (b) with size I get +1 to attacks so my attack rolls balance out. Not to mention rage will increase my str.

So, any tips on helping me with this build?

Kantolin
2010-02-04, 12:01 AM
Overtly, it's not as bad as it sounds.

The two things you're losing (damagewise) are weapon size and -2 strength. For this, you offensively get a +1 to hit.

Assuming two handed power attacking, which is the gold standard for a barbarian, that one to hit gives you a +2 to damage. The -2 to strength gives you a 1 point penalty on damage, while the greataxe going from 1d12 to 1d10 is on average 1 point penalty on damage.

So... you're actually not all that bad off. :P

That said, there are a surprising chunk of things which give you bonuses against larger opponents. One early-game example is the Magic Item Compendium's Gauntlets of Giantfelling (pg103) - swift action, 3/day, gives you a 1d6 damage bonus if you're fighting something medium enemies. (More if you're fighting something larger). May as well grab that and go to town.

Random NPC
2010-02-04, 12:02 AM
Not a build help, just nosing in, but...

In Eberron, Halfling Barbarians are abundant

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82081.jpg

they ride dinosaurs too :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-02-04, 12:04 AM
Overtly, it's not as bad as it sounds.

The two things you're losing (damagewise) are weapon size and -2 strength. For this, you offensively get a +1 to hit.

Assuming two handed power attacking, which is the gold standard for a barbarian, that one to hit gives you a +2 to damage. The -2 to strength gives you a 1 point penalty on damage, while the greataxe going from 1d12 to 1d10 is on average 1 point penalty on damage.

I already said most of that in my first post.

That said, there are a surprising chunk of things which give you bonuses against larger opponents. One early-game example is the Magic Item Compendium's Gauntlets of Giantfelling (pg103) - swift action, 3/day, gives you a 1d6 damage bonus if you're fighting something medium enemies. (More if you're fighting something larger). May as well grab that and go to town.

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check that out.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-04, 01:05 AM
If it's just a killer that fits in a suitcase, have you considered Warblade? Focus on Stone Dragon for damage, toss in Tiger Claw for the Barbarian flavor, and go t town. If going Barb is a definite, see if your DM will let you take a penalty to Con instead of Str. That way your to-hit and damage stays up, and if you dump Con enough, you can permanently Rage thanks to PHBII(IIRC, it requires averaging 5 HP/Level).

Harperfan7
2010-02-04, 01:17 AM
I would start with a level of rogue or two to get 8+Int x 4 skills, sneak attack, maybe evasion. You'll lose mighty rage if you intend to go to 20, but are you?

Also, you lose the +4 to jump and 20ft. of charging range for having small sized speed.

You may want to try the whirling frenzy (or whatever its called) variant from unearthed arcana.

(And carry a sling!)

Runestar
2010-02-04, 01:41 AM
Burn a feat to wield a spiked chain. You can then finesse it, and still benefit from power attack and shock trooper. Quite feat intensive though.

gallagher
2010-02-04, 02:02 AM
ever hear of halfling skip rocks? i believe they are in races of faerun.... and if i recall correctly they are definately worth checking out

Mongoose87
2010-02-04, 02:30 AM
Not a build help, just nosing in, but...

In Eberron, Halfling Barbarians are abundant

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82081.jpg

they ride dinosaurs too :smallbiggrin:

A guy that used to play with my group had a nice Halfling Barbarian/Ranger going, wherein he got free action point every time he Raged, the action point you spent on your attack roll was added to your damage and you had to make a save vs damage or be dazed. Lots of dazed enemies were had.

Kol Korran
2010-02-04, 03:43 AM
the Eberron Barbarians have one weapon i like- the Talenta Tangat. basically it's a big scimitar on a short haft. the weapon is two handed, 18-20/x2 crit, and for a small character it causes 1d8. not the best weapon in the world, but not the worst- plenty of crits (which could be fun while raging), and it's a lovely image. small halfling, big curved sword!

too bad it taxes an exotic weapon proficiency...

Dr.Epic
2010-02-04, 04:22 AM
the Eberron Barbarians have one weapon i like- the Talenta Tangat. basically it's a big scimitar on a short haft. the weapon is two handed, 18-20/x2 crit, and for a small character it causes 1d8. not the best weapon in the world, but not the worst- plenty of crits (which could be fun while raging), and it's a lovely image. small halfling, big curved sword!

Why not just use a greatsword?
Don't greatswords have the same crit modifier, deal d10 for small, and count as a martial weapon?

Killer Angel
2010-02-04, 04:27 AM
Don't greatswords have the same crit modifier, deal d10 for small, and count as a martial weapon?

Greatsword (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Greatsword)'s crit range is 19-20

Ravens_cry
2010-02-04, 04:33 AM
Greatsword is 19/20.
The Great Falchion (exotic, of course) from Sandstorm has the same crit range as a scimitar, but with d10 for smalls.
Edit: Arrr! This board be infested with ninjas!:smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-02-04, 05:04 AM
I played a talenta halfling barbarian for a while, and it worked quite well. Actually, he was a scout/barbarian, but that's not the point. What I'd do is get one of the barbarian substitutions which increases your dexterity and make a dex-focused build. A barbarian with weapon finesse might sound strange, but it works quite well if done correctly.

Darrin
2010-02-04, 06:32 AM
Not a bad idea at all. My first 3.x character was a halfling barbarian.

Consider the Wild template from Dragon #306 (check the 3.0 templates on Crystalkeep for details). This adjusts ability scores +2 Str, -2 Int, -2 Cha. The Arctic template (same issue) can give you +2 Con, -2 Cha, and the Magic-Blooded template can give you +2 Cha, -2 Wis, to help move some of that Cha penalty into Wis. Dragonborn of Bahumat would also let you shift your Dex bonus over to Con. And by all means, ask your DM if he'll allow Strongheart halflings for the free bonus feat.

Grab a pair of Strongarm Bracers (6000 GP, MIC) ASAP.

Add a Warbeast Brixashulty (150 GP, MM2 + RotW) and you should be good to go.

Hal
2010-02-04, 07:31 AM
You could always go the Power Attack --> Shock Trooper route. Then it doesn't really matter how big you are, your damage is going to be more from PA than weapon size. Make it a charging build and you really start racking it up.

Azernak0
2010-02-04, 07:32 AM
You can be a Strongheart for the bonus feat but it might be banned because of the feat. A build that comes to mind:

Barbarian 4 / Fighter 2

STR: 16
DEX: 16
CON: 16
WIS: 8
INT: 8
CHA: 8
32 point buy.

Class Features:
Whirling Frenzy
Wolf Totem
Spiritual Lion Totem

1. Power Attack
2 Bonus: Improved Trip
3. Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain
4 Bonus: Improved Bullrush
5 Bonus: Leap Attack
6. Shock Trooper

A Small Spiked Chain does something like 1d8 damage, but with Shock Trooper it doesn't matter. The main damage from melee builds is never from straight weapon damage. At level 6, with a +1 Weapon, a +2 Strength adder, Whirling Frenzy, Haste, and a Charge you can do some scary damage:

+13/+13/+13/+8 for 1d8+28 damage. With the Trip, you can do a Touch attack and if you succeed, you get +4 on all the other. Being Small, your Trip Modifier is not as good as it could be as it is only +6 but it can still Trip the random medium creature that attacks. Getting an Enlarge Person increases the number to +11.

Add Combat Reflexes and Knockdown for more fun. The Horizon Tripper (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4318160&postcount=1) is a great build as well.

Edit: Ninjas are after me...

paddyfool
2010-02-04, 07:38 AM
@Azernak0,

You need Combat Expertise for Improved Trip.

Runestar
2010-02-04, 07:48 AM
@Azernak0,

You need Combat Expertise for Improved Trip.

The wolf totem barb (UA) lets you replace uncanny dodge with improved trip.

Just as well - barbs don't have to waste stat points improving their int to 13+ and they can't use expertise while raging anyways.

Beelzebub1111
2010-02-04, 07:51 AM

Then they have that Reach weapon with 18-20/x4 criticals that's WAY overpowered, if you ask me.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-04, 01:52 PM
Then they have that Reach weapon with 18-20/x4 criticals that's WAY overpowered, if you ask me.What? I don't know what you're talking about. The only boosted crit-range weapon with a x4 that I can think of is the Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer, which isn't reach and is only 19-20.

Or a Kaorti Kukri, which still doesn't have reach.

Mongoose87
2010-02-04, 02:01 PM
Then they have that Reach weapon with 18-20/x4 criticals that's WAY overpowered, if you ask me.

It's actually 19-20.

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-04, 02:09 PM

Errata'ed to 19-20, x2. The Sharrash sucks now. Which was the dumbest idea on WotC's behalf, as it contended with the Spiked Chain before the errata. They could have at least made it a x3...

AirGuitarGod32
2010-02-04, 02:17 PM
I like the idea of the Halfling Barbarian personally. here's my two cents:

Race: Feral (Savage Species) Strongheart Halfling Dragonborn (Heart or Mind)
Class: Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 10 / Champion of Gwynharwyf 10 (Scary Rage)
Feats: Power Attack, Dreadful Wrath, Menacing Demeanor, Righteous Wrath, Knight of the Stars, Imperious Command, Intimidating Rage, Improved Bullrush, Shock Trooper
Items: Spiked Menacing Mithril Fullplate with scary paint on it, A polearm of your choice (You intimidate everything within your threaten-area), any other Intimidate-boosting items
Plan: 1. Be sure to initiate a Duel of Wills (Tome of Battle) at the beginning of combat. 2. Charge and Rage to scare the crap out of your foes. 3. Laugh as they run away like little girls.

Have fun

ShadowFighter15
2010-02-04, 05:52 PM

Unless the wielder was raised in the Talenta Plains, then it's a martial weapon.

Ravens_cry
2010-02-04, 05:53 PM
Eh, I personally don't like the idea of adding dragonborn. It may add more power, but now you're no longer a halfling.
The thought of a fur-footed, face-painted fury frequently fenestrating foes fills me more fully with fantastic feelings of fun then a finely sized, flake faced, ophidian fighter.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-04, 09:39 PM
Greatsword is 19/20.
The Great Falchion (exotic, of course) from Sandstorm has the same crit range as a scimitar, but with d10 for smalls.
Edit: Arrr! This board be infested with ninjas!:smalltongue:

Whoops. My bad. I never had a character that used a greatsword and the only thing I remember about them is the crit range is better than a great axe but the crit modifier is less.

But the great falchion does sound bad. I'm not sure if I want to spend a feat on it. After all, once I can transform into a bear, I'm going to rely on my claws and teeth as much as possible and I'd like to spend my feat on more general stuff: power attack (a requirement for the class), extra rage and extended rage (I plan on taking each a few times). If my next DM allows weaknesses then I might spend the feat on it. Besides, the axe wielding barbarian is one of my favorite concepts.

I'm also not sure about whirling frenzy in place of the standard rage. I played a barbarian that had it once, but that was only because I was going for a two weapon fighter build and wanted to maximize the number of attacks he got each round. The +2 con with the standard rage is nice because increased HP and longer rage, but with whirling frenzy I get an increase to AC which be nice because I already have a +1 size bonus thus increasing it further. And the extra attack ain't bad. More attacks might be able to compensate for the fact I deal less damage. Thoughts?