PDA

View Full Version : Oh, goodness.

Flarp
2010-02-04, 12:26 AM
We've seen in strip 472 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html) that having a name increases one's survivability and combat prowess.

We've also seen that, in strip 587 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0587.html), having a last name increases the above further, above those with only a first name.

Elves are exempt from this second rule, as elves don't appear to have surnames in the OotSverse.

So, which member of the Order does this leave with an unrevealed last name?

Elan.

Considering Elan has become quite competent with the Dashing Swordsman PrC, just think about how powerful he will become when/if his last name is revealed.

This just in - Surname Elan is the new Pun-Pun.

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-04, 12:45 AM
We've seen in strip 472 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html) that having a name increases one's survivability and combat prowess.
And we've also seen that it doesn't (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html).

derfenrirwolv
2010-02-04, 12:48 AM
Well, Elan Tyranar would be a bit of a giveaway.

Harperfan7
2010-02-04, 01:23 AM
Well, Elan Tyranar would be a bit of a giveaway.

Yeah, whats the deal with a CG waitress and a LE conquerer?

bsparrow
2010-02-04, 01:24 AM
derfenrirwolv's lack of spoiler tags aside...

Yeah, there's already a pretty widely accepted theory for why Elan's surname hasn't been mentioned in the comic, and it has nothing to do with survivability.

Souhiro
2010-02-04, 02:59 AM
Well, it would be nice to see him named as...

Elan 'Chul
Elan Norris
Elan Spartan
Elan NiceBlondehairedGodOfMusiiiiic
Elan Bitterleaf...

Asta Kask
2010-02-04, 03:54 AM
Do we know V's last name?

Nimrod's Son
2010-02-04, 06:19 AM
Do we know V's last name?
Smith. Vaarsuvius Smith.

Le Piaf
2010-02-04, 07:27 AM
Smith. Vaarsuvius Smith.
excellent :biggrin:

NerfTW
2010-02-04, 02:36 PM
derfenrirwolv's lack of spoiler tags aside...

Yeah, there's already a pretty widely accepted theory for why Elan's surname hasn't been mentioned in the comic, and it has nothing to do with survivability.

Seriously? That's such an old and common suggestion that spoilering it is pointless. I can understand the desire to continue spoilering current speculation, but it's ridiculous to assume that he's going to change a major character trait at this point in the story. Especially one that's been hinted at to no end.

ThePhantasm
2010-02-04, 04:03 PM
Seriously? That's such an old and common suggestion that spoilering it is pointless. I can understand the desire to continue spoilering current speculation, but it's ridiculous to assume that he's going to change a major character trait at this point in the story. Especially one that's been hinted at to no end.

That was... ironic.

In reply to the OP's post... I seriously doubt there will be a scene where Elan is dying and then reveals his name and magically heals. That was just there as a joke, not as some deus ex machina weapon of invincibility.

bsparrow
2010-02-04, 04:30 PM

I wasn't thinking about spoilering for the Giant's benefit... but for new people to the forums. Some people like to gather relevent information before the conclusions, no matter how foregone, are thrown at them. :smalltongue:

NerfTW
2010-02-04, 04:33 PM
Well now that's just asinine. If you're on the forums, it should be assumed you've read the comic to this point, not counting the print books. Otherwise, we'd have to spoiler every single thing we say. Just look at the thread titles about Varsuvius's deal with the demons, Haley's speech problem, Roy's death, the ADB, the Fiends, etc.

Coming onto the forums and complaining because people are discussing really old information is just mind boggling.

ref
2010-02-04, 05:06 PM
Come on guys. Elan's last name has been revealed. it's "Icalicus".

bsparrow
2010-02-04, 05:38 PM
Well now that's just asinine. If you're on the forums, it should be assumed you've read the comic to this point, not counting the print books. Otherwise, we'd have to spoiler every single thing we say. Just look at the thread titles about Varsuvius's deal with the demons, Haley's speech problem, Roy's death, the ADB, the Fiends, etc.

Coming onto the forums and complaining because people are discussing really old information is just mind boggling.

Except that that particular information (Elan's last name) hasn't technically been revealed in-comic yet. Thus, to casual OotS readers who might just be browsing the forum out of curiosity, it's technically a still spoiler.

I'm just talking about common courtesy. It's not a huge deal, of course, but it's nice to be considerate about these sorts of things. :smallsmile:

Kish
2010-02-04, 05:46 PM
Elan's last name hasn't been revealed in-comic yet. Nothing technical about it.

Shale
2010-02-04, 05:49 PM
It hasn't been revealed at all. It's just speculation. If I say that the Monster in the Darkness is an eight-legged half-tarrasque Snorlax that's been cross-bred with a venus flytrap, that doesn't make it a spoiler even if it somehow turns out to be true three years down the line.

silversaraph
2010-02-04, 06:02 PM
It hasn't been revealed at all. It's just speculation. If I say that the Monster in the Darkness is an eight-legged half-tarrasque Snorlax that's been cross-bred with a venus flytrap, that doesn't make it a spoiler even if it somehow turns out to be true three years down the line.

Oh...my...god...

It's the answer! Quick, spoiler this thread!

FujinAkari
2010-02-04, 07:35 PM

Except, of course. that Rich has explicitly asked that all speculation be spoilered.

Shale
2010-02-04, 09:14 PM
I wasn't thinking about spoilering for the Giant's benefit... but for new people to the forums. Some people like to gather relevent information before the conclusions, no matter how foregone, are thrown at them. :smalltongue:

Except that that particular information (Elan's last name) hasn't technically been revealed in-comic yet. Thus, to casual OotS readers who might just be browsing the forum out of curiosity, it's technically a still spoiler.

I'm just talking about common courtesy. It's not a huge deal, of course, but it's nice to be considerate about these sorts of things.

That's what I was responding to.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-04, 09:29 PM
We've also seen that, in strip 587 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0587.html), having a last name increases the above further, above those with only a first name.

Explain to me how that's an example of having a last name keeps you alive.

Also, maybe Elan has no last name. He wouldn't be the only one:

Soon
Dorukan
Shojo
Hinjo

Kish
2010-02-04, 09:36 PM
Explain to me how that's an example of having a last name keeps you alive.

Also, maybe Elan has no last name. He wouldn't be the only one:

Soon
Would you be referring to Soon Kim?

The other three don't have last names that we know. So they're like Elan in that respect. But that doesn't mean any of them actually don't have last names.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-04, 09:41 PM
Would you be referring to Soon Kim?

How the crap did I forget Soon's last name? The all-nighter I pulled last night must be getting to me. The talking bears that are hovering around me only I can see certainly do agree.

Alex Warlorn
2010-02-04, 10:33 PM
I wonder if Elan's father KNOWING the short life span of empires in his homeland, chose to engineer his own overthrowing with himself being the revolutionary and the tyrant at the same time.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-02-04, 11:24 PM
That was just there as a joke, not as some deus ex machina weapon of invincibility.

A joke is a deus ex machina weapon of invincibility that only works once. Well, you could use it twice...but Rich is better than that.

Although, that doesn't rule out Elan dying, trying to use that joke to survive, realizing it doesn't work because that joke has been done before, and then he realizes that this is one of the serious strips and fights his way out using actual resourcefulness.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-04, 11:46 PM
I wonder if Elan's father KNOWING the short life span of empires in his homeland, chose to engineer his own overthrowing with himself being the revolutionary and the tyrant at the same time.

Was it ever established where Elan's father was the warlord of? Are you just assuming he's Lord Tyrinar because I don't think the Giant ever said that?

Fiery Diamond
2010-02-05, 01:07 AM
I think at this point that all we know is for certain is that he was a LE warlord. The assumption is that he's Lord Tyrinar, for a number of reasons, including the large "T" on his war flag.

DnDgeek13
2010-02-05, 01:07 AM
And we've also seen that it doesn't (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html).

what we have seen is that the last name will stop you from dying from the hands of an npc. it say nothing about pc's

Liwen
2010-02-05, 12:09 PM
what we have seen is that the last name will stop you from dying from the hands of an npc. it say nothing about pc's

Also, that guy was a no combatant neutral gnome meeting a psychotic halfing who hadn't got his fix of killing spree for months over months of being confined in city limits under a omg can't get more annoying curse he did killed a hobo the strip just before that, but one kill hardly qualifies as a spree. Plus is was funny.

That gnome was basically doomed. Rich probably knew he was going to die before conceiving anything else about that pointless character.

(important factors contributing to death were bolded for clearer understanding of the point I was making in the preceding comment.)

Gandariel
2010-02-05, 02:26 PM
not to mention Trigak...

he was supposed to be a recurring villain! he had a name! xDD

Scarlet Knight
2010-02-05, 04:18 PM
This is simple; we just figure out Nale's last name and 'Voila' !

Pssst psst...What? We don't? Oh, ...never mind....

:smallsigh:

rewinn
2010-02-05, 04:20 PM
Does O'Chul have alast name? Probably, but it doesn't matter; it would be like multiplying infinity by two.

itaibn
2010-02-06, 05:06 PM
Actually, Elans last name is explicitly mentioned: It's asaurus-rex.

Otherwise, we'd have to spoiler every single thing we say. Just look at the thread titles ... Roy's death, ...
Wait. Roy DIES :smalleek:! Thanks for ruining the story :smallmad:.